Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Well I just quit my job working as a cold caller for an IT security firm. It's been a difficult couple of months as I've finally have to admit to myself the job I am doing is lovely, and it's making me unhappy. I had a word with my boss about it and we both come to the agreement it was best I just go. I'm glad I ended it on good terms and not blowing my lid and storming off (which is what I was coming close to doing).

I've learnt not to take jobs out of desperation and pretend I can do everything that is asked of me since it takes a certain type of person to constantly call strangers and hound them with questions for the small chance of a sale. I have too much empathy to be tenacious, and I take on board everything people say to me personally and it was making me seriously unhappy either never speaking to anyone in an entire day or just being rejected each call.

I now need to get a job with the ultimatum that I stay far away from call centres and call based job roles that require ever demanding targets.

What have I done is pretty ballsy as I have left without another job to jump straight in to but that is my next step and my father mentioned the possibility of working for him abroad in logistics (which is what I originally studied for). Big chapter in my life, but I echo what everyone else has mentioned here.

You probably took a call centre job because of little else on the market or limited options and it's not truly what you want to do. Don't let it affect you personally get out as quick as you can and avoid that sector now that you have experienced it. There are better jobs out there and you are good enough to get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread