Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live
I recently started working at a call centre calling hundreds of job-hunting American Citizens trying to sell them education every day and it is extremely depressing. The pay is good, and the atmosphere is enjoyable, but how do I maintain a postive attitude when everyone is annoyed at me all day long and managers are breathing down my back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live

Caufman posted:

It's giving you an experience in a ubiquitous and chronic form of human suffering. Even if you discover no silver bullets, you are at each moment becoming more equipped to empathize with someone in your situation. I believe that you're also becoming better at empathizing with the jerk managers and the annoyed customers.

This is a really important answer. I feel like with each day, I am becoming more and more empathetic and able to build that relationship with the customer. I feel like by doing so, I'm really starting to improve my own social skills in my personal life.

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live

Caufman posted:

What's the story on the other side of the line, mechacop? Are callers 'encouraged' by their managers to read to at least a certain part of the prompt before letting the call go?

Yeah, unfortunately we have to hit a certain point before we let them go.

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live
So just a follow up, I'm lately getting the best numbers in the room and have figured out the script to a tee. I don't even put in effort or look at my screen anymore, and I can still make it through the script while getting people to say yes to me. I've figured out my rhythm, character, and loopholes in the script just enough to start producing really well, and I'm beginning to look forward to going to work and making more commission.

I guess I really just needed to get a handle for it, because there are good days and bad days. Relatively speaking though, I feel really lucky to be in such a chill call center as opposed to a routine one.

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

There's no way. Start looking for a new job before you're totally turned into a shell. At least it's easy to interview because you probably don't work M-F.

I'm full time 8-4, M-F every week and M-S on every second week. So not really a lot of time.

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live
Is there some in-joke of scaring people away from this sort of thing? It really isn't bad at all compared to the horror stories you guys tell.

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live

Caufman posted:

I'm not a fan of this thread's direction. It started out with someone asking how they can be happier with their work and became a place for people to vindicate their rudeness to strangers.

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live
Also, I strongly disagree with the majority of this thread. I've been at this call centre now that the OP is about for around 5 months. I really enjoy it, I've been bumped up to trainer, I'm a top performer, and I can show up and work high (most of us do.)

I get a lot of lovely people and sometimes doing the job gets repetitive and depressing. But all in all, I never really think about work after work, and I come out of work every day feeling refreshed and productive and ready to go home and have a good day.

It's been 5 months and I'm planning to stay here for a year just so I can get my coffee mug and make sure I'm guaranteed a job anytime I wanna come back. I'm just glad I'm not soliciting any products or taking anyone's credit card number. Just providing free information on college programs to get my commission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live

PT6A posted:

So, on the other side of my earlier question, if the people who are pushy jerks are being forced by their employer, are they a small, terrible minority of the call centre industry? I've dealt with a few telemarketers since, and they've all been really nice. Or are some employees just more willing to bend the rules? I'm really curious why such a tiny minority behave in such an objectionable way compared to everyone else, considering (apparently) most of the industry is lovely.

I bend the rules and change up the script a lot, and since I'm good at the job they give me some leniency. Allows me to talk with my customers more and build a relationship. Makes the job less repetitive and awful.

• Locked thread