Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

I guess you could say I've had a career in Call Centres (28 now) from being an outbound dinner time Telemarketing harasser to inbound complaints for a blue chip, TL, Manager and now I actually manage an offshoring transition to the Philippines (based there).

Honestly my advice (and it's general because I don't know how lovely your conditions or opportunities are) but if you drink the kool aid a little and try to put a genuine interest and passion into what you're doing (either product or helping the customer) it won't take long to be elevated out of the lovely front line jobs because 90% of the people in these positions have no ambition or sense to just knuckle down and try and give a crap. It's a bit rewarding when you're not anticipating despising everyone that may be calling and you may get more development out of it too.

Tl;Dr apply yourself and give a gently caress enough to get off the front line ASAP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Madmarker posted:

Please don't throw a bootstraps argument in here. Great, you managed to succeed in the industry, but how many off-call positions are there? Not everyone is going to be able to get off the phones, even if they put in the requisite work.

No you're right. I don't mean to say that you can work your way to the stars and I did qualify that it depends on the company. But generally a good attendance, engagement and sign of intelligence and initiative will be recognized very quickly in these environments because it's usually so lacking..

When I first started I was an argumentative dick complaining about the next jerk on the line and it showed in my performance.. once I realised that if I tried to make the best of each interaction I a) enjoyed it more and b) performed better. Most places I've worked have been absolutely desperate to promote people into at least basic team leader stuff but have not had the cattle because even people in their 20s just didn't get the basic, head down, perform contribute positively from the start. Of course I can't speak for every environment, but even a basic TL or Supervisor role is a really good career step at least for experiencing wise.

• Locked thread