Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I got a cold call yesterday. I respond, as I always do, that I don't accept telephone surveys or solicitations, and I told them to have a nice day. Most time, people will catch on, but this woman just wasn't going to have it and continued talking. Don't be that person -- that's when the people you're calling will get pissed off and be rude to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I will say the one thing that really pisses me off is when the person doing the cold call doesn't take a hint. My standard line, business or personal, is "I'm going to stop you here and save you some time: we/I don't accept any form of telephone solicitation or survey. Have a nice day!" 9 times out of 10, this works and the person phoning wishes me a nice day and then the call ends. However, the other times, when they get indignant (or try some poo poo like "this isn't a solicitation!"; you called asking for the manager of the business from a business we've never done work with before, what the gently caress else is it going to be?): that's when they get told to shove it up their rear end and gently caress off.

I bear no particular ill will to people doing their jobs, but if you're going to be a dick about it, I have no problem escalating the level of dickishness to things no telemarketer would dare say on the telephone.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

jassi007 posted:

that doesn't mean the human being on the other end of the phone is a jerk.

Well, it kinda does. I have no problem with people calling me, I have a problem when I tell them politely that I'm not interested and they push the matter. Some have called me back two further occasions, which is just un-loving-acceptable.

On the other hand, when I've been cold-called by small businesses that don't use a lovely loving script, and actually present their case quickly and well, I actually do bend my own rules and sometimes buy their service or at least listen to their pitch.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Caufman posted:

Canvassers walk around the streets asking people for a part of their time. Some are volunteers, others are paid. Do you think society should just accept and allow them to be assaulted?

No, but if they continue to follow me and pester me after I've told them, in a polite and professional manner, to leave me alone, I don't think I should catch a second glance from anyone when I tell them to gently caress off. Incidentally, no street canvasser has ever been inclined pester me after I tell them I'm not interested.

What should I do, when people don't respond to being told, politely, that I'm not interested? I say my standard line because I want to be more polite than just simply hanging up on someone, and it honestly loving offends me when it's not repaid with the due consideration of wishing me a nice day and hanging up. I don't want to be forced into the position, by a pushy rear end in a top hat, of being rude by simply hanging up; but, if I'm already forced to do so, I'm going to call you a stupid loving rear end in a top hat along the way. Should I, perhaps, ask to speak to a manager, and tell them exactly why I find their business practices to be abhorrent? Should I simply indulge them and make a large purchase to assuage their feelings?

What's the right answer, when you try to be polite and professional and you're rebuffed? And, after I've tried the nice way and it's not worked, how am I the rear end in a top hat for telling the person to go gently caress their hat?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Caufman posted:

PT6A, I'm going to say you are probably not a good judge of how polite or professional you are, seeing as how you and others like you wandered into a thread about someone looking for tips on staying sane at work, and decided to make it about how you all are the true victims here because sales calls turn you into an rear end in a top hat, and so people should quit their jobs so you won't be bothered. You have a lot, a lot of growing up to do, and I look forward to the day you make an A/T thread about how you can be more pleasant to people who interrupt your free time.

And I offered the tip: when someone politely declines your phone call, drop the loving call. And, yes, 99% of the time, saying "We don't accept telephone solicitations or surveys, thank you, have a nice day," will work. It's the 1% of the time, and one company specifically (Pitney Bowes) where the callers will argue/lie that it's not a solicitation and basically force me to be impolite to them to end the call. Some have literally called me back twice. I'm asking in this thread, because I want to know the answer and I figure people here will know: what's the secret to politely getting out of the call when the standard options don't work?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

jassi007 posted:

you've been answered, you just aren't getting it. A company might have a policy of 3 refusals, ie they have to call back after you call them a fucker and hang up because their bosses bosses boss says so. No company will tell you their policies either. Just keep saying no thanks and hanging up.

Can/should I ask to speak to their manager in that event, so I can chew out the person who actually made that stupid policy instead of the low-level person who has to follow it? Does that work?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

So, on the other side of my earlier question, if the people who are pushy jerks are being forced by their employer, are they a small, terrible minority of the call centre industry? I've dealt with a few telemarketers since, and they've all been really nice. Or are some employees just more willing to bend the rules? I'm really curious why such a tiny minority behave in such an objectionable way compared to everyone else, considering (apparently) most of the industry is lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvilGenius posted:

Yeah, it's marketing 101, but it doesn't stop the entire concept of a sales industry being fundamentally dishonest. If I don't own something, I either don't want it or can't afford it. It's basically institutionalised begging.

Fake edit: it's Burger King's policy in the UK to ask if you want your order 'large or super size' phrased as if they're the only options - they're literally training out psychological manipulation, and yes that does make me mad.

I don't know about that. Sales is also about telling someone what's available, and letting them work out for themselves that they either need or want it. If I go to the pub and order a burger and fries, they'll ask me if I want gravy for my fries. This isn't dishonest in any way, it's just reminding me that gravy is an option available to me Since gravy is delicious, I will probably say "yes." If I had not been reminded I could get gravy with my fries, I'd be less likely to get it.

If I said, "no, I would not like gravy with my fries," I would expect the matter to be dropped. Likewise, if I ordered a burger and fries, I would not like them to keep saying, "You could have salad with that, you know... In fact, you really should get a salad instead of fries." Sales doesn't depend on lovely tactics. If you have good products, you can convince people they should buy your products on its own merits, even if they hadn't originally planned to, without resorting to dishonest tricks.

• Locked thread