Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I don't either I'm just handy with the hatswitch/mouse. I'm too poor(lazy) to get TrackIR yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I cited my sources and all he said was, "owned owned owned owned owned"
My X-52 is dead (Rest in Piss) and I want to do planes. Will this terrible (but functioning) Thrustmaster hotas x be workable at any of the DCS modules?

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

Leo Showers posted:

I don't either I'm just handy with the hatswitch/mouse. I'm too poor(lazy) to get TrackIR yet.

I got this thing: http://www.delanengineering.com/delanclip/ and a second hand PS3 camera, and it works great with facetracknoir. It makes a huge difference, and I cant see a trackir being worth the extra money.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

EDIT: NM Im the dumbest of cunts

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 13, 2014

Comma Chameleon
Apr 30, 2008

Elukka posted:

I'm gonna ask an annoyingly big one: Where to start? :v:

There's a giant manual, there's all sorts of tutorials online (and in-game?), but what's the best way to get started? I know my way around flying a plane and some of the systems are familiar to me from the Su-25T but I've never really flown choppers before.

I always suggest ignoring any weapon systems to start with and just get the hang of basic flight, so for that load up the instant action mission "free flight" this will start you in the sky flying forward in a stable manner. Now go into options and map the function "TRIMMER" to an easy to access button on your stick, now just try and fly around and do some turns... you probably will have noticed that after you do anything the aircraft seems to drift back to it's old heading. The reason is the autopilot system will always try and maintain it's current programmed heading and you should never turn the autopilot off except for emergencies, so how do you get around that? The trimmer in a helo works by holding the joystick in whatever position you have it in when you trim, the Black Shark of course works like this but the trimmer in this aircraft also does one more function, it programs the autopilot each time the trimmer is pressed with your current heading, pitch angle, yaw angle, and altitude. So in the BS if you wanted to do a turn you would click the trimmer button after you made the turn then the autopilot would be programmed with that new heading. This video really helped me figure this out back when i was learning so i suggest watching it then flying around for a while trying to work with the autopilot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH4tSiU7TCE

DeathSandwich posted:

I remember at some point someone described the A-10 and the KA-50 as logical opposites in that the A-10 is a breeze to fly, but working the targeting computer/slew is kind of a pain, whereas the KA-50 is an unholy nightmare to fly, yet the weapons systems are a breeze to operate. Does that assumption tend to hold true?

This is quite a good analogy except I would argue that the Black Shark is actually quite easy to fly compared to other Helo's once you understand how the autopilot/trimmer works.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

cormac posted:

I got this thing: http://www.delanengineering.com/delanclip/ and a second hand PS3 camera, and it works great with facetracknoir. It makes a huge difference, and I cant see a trackir being worth the extra money.

On the other hand, doing that led to me getting a trackir, because it was pretty darned cool, but just buggy enough to be infuriating. Granted, that fidelity of track might be fine in DCS, but it was really irritating in War Thunder, where you're always dogfighting trying to get guns kills and the slightest view twitch is irritating as hell.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
TrackIR really benefits from taking some time to make sure your camera placement and response curves are set up correctly. I sit pretty close to the sensor and don't normally have trouble, but I still need to refine some of my response curves because I'm not totally happy with them.

Having any source of light behind you can really tweak out the sensor. I've had to block a few windows in my office for that reason.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
So far TrackIR has worked just fine for me whether I have lights on, windows open, whatever. Facetrack just did weird stuff like lose track of its reference points if, say, I scrunched up my face or was shoving food in my mouth and chewing while flying like a true nerd, and it often got confused if I was wearing glasses. Also, when TrackIR loses reference because you turn your head too far or get up and walk away, it reaquires it immediately. NoIR would get really weird on me if I ever let it lose track of me.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
And it completely frees up a hat switch, very useful for modern combat sims.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The Ferret King posted:

Having any source of light behind you can really tweak out the sensor. I've had to block a few windows in my office for that reason.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to move a lamp because every single god drat light in this room is within view of the Track IR :P Playing in total dark is just too much.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

cormac posted:

The black shark is tricky to fly until you figure out that the trim system
This video explains the KA50 trimmer really well:

I must have fought with the trim system for an entire weekend before someone pointed out that you need to push and HOLD the trim button when changing direction.

Also, while the KA-50's targeting system is basically point and click, you really, really need Track IR to use the helmet-based tracking reticule. Especially when trying to track and lock on to tiny, tiny targets. Track IR is not optional if you plan on using the targeting system on this vehicle hovering-but-sliding-slightly-to-the-left-weapons-platform-good-luck-panning-the-camera-in-small-enough-increments-using-keyboard-controls.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

Any mods that I absolutely need?

YEah, a couple really good ones.
First one is the DCS Virtual Server http://bit-shift.com/a10vcserver/index.html that allows you to use your second monitor easily and bug free. This software takes your game out of fullscreen mode into a borderless window mode where all your screen space is "available". You can the drag and resize the wanted windows into. If you have a good resolution single screen, you can even use this to use most of your screen for the cockpit, but leave a sidebar for other monitor displays that you want to keep handy. It also has an expensive app for iPad if you'd rather use that. But base version is free and very good.
It looks like this in my A10C cockpit. My resolution is 3800x1080p.

A: You don't absolutely need this.

B: Now my game won't launch.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

Same here, I am reinstalling DCS now.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
You killed my install too.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Alright stop installing that poo poo.
Sorry for inconvenience, I am emailing the dev right now about it.

I added info to the OP about the issues you guys are getting.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A large portion of learning to fly the Black Shark is a thorough understanding of the stabilization systems and autopilot. Literally nothing will help you as much as that. Fighting the autopilot sucks.

In that vein: http://www.simhq.com/_air13/air_426a.html

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Vahakyla posted:

I added info to the OP about the issues you guys are getting.

I wouldn't be posting mods at all in the op in the first place. It only clutters up an already spergy as gently caress game for someone that might be interested in trying it out.

The only other mods I've seen worth mentioning involve lovely FMs for planes that use existing cockpits as placeholders.

Thief fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 14, 2014

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

mlmp08 posted:

Leo Showers posted:

Same here, I am reinstalling DCS now.

Baloogan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxWw1XGqSKU&t=54s

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 14, 2014

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Baloogan posted:

You are the last evaluation patient. Do you lack DCS A10C, too? What modules do you have?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

TerminalSaint posted:

The P-51 should be a lot more fun when DCS WWII: Europe 1944 comes out.

When is this supposed to be happening?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Last tentative date I heard was October 2014-ish.

Planned planes are:
P-51D Mustang (the one that's already in)
P-47D-28 Thunderbolt
Spitfire Mk IX
Bf-109K-4
FW.190D-9
Me.262A-1
and a non-flyable B-17G

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Also I'd like to put out an offer for goons to fly together in multiplayer server to shoot duders down whenever. Currently if you join by yourself you will be shot down every time by sperglords in their battle-boxes and turbonerds who really should have a life. It literally does not matter what type of plane you are in, as long as I get my precious MiG-29 everything is alright. If I'm up for a game I'll be in the Camping the Stairs mumble in the LAME channels.

I had a game on the 104th Tacticool or whatever they call it and :cripes: it's spergy. The guild members are :spergin: and it's a gigantic melting pot of sperg so I'd only recommend it if we have a ton of people on. The S77th server looks better because you can at least see the position of friendlies which is pretty handly.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Tatrakrad posted:

My X-52 is dead (Rest in Piss) and I want to do planes. Will this terrible (but functioning) Thrustmaster hotas x be workable at any of the DCS modules?

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-...tmaster+t16000m This is hands down one of the *best* non-HOTAS joysticks you can find. It uses Hall effect sensors that are set up much better than the ones in the X52, it's still cheap, it's very sturdy and reliable, and has a decent twist axis for yaw. It's muuuchhh better then the Logitech Extreme Pro, in any case.

If you want HOTAS, either spring for a Saitek X52, or alternatively (and this is probably the better option, quality/lack of sloppy controls) pick up one of these http://www.amazon.com/CH-Products-P...ch+pro+throttle

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Mederlock posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-...tmaster+t16000m This is hands down one of the *best* non-HOTAS joysticks you can find. It uses Hall effect sensors that are set up much better than the ones in the X52, it's still cheap, it's very sturdy and reliable, and has a decent twist axis for yaw. It's muuuchhh better then the Logitech Extreme Pro, in any case.
It does have its downsides. It's less comfortable to use than the Logitech unless you have huge hands and there's less buttons on the stick. There's also a fuckoff bright green light whenever it's off-center that's supposed to demonstrate how accurately it centers (I already bought you, stick, why are you advertising your features to me?) but in my case it no longer centers accurately enough after a week or so of use to reliably turn the light off. There's also no dust cover protecting the innards.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Elukka posted:

It does have its downsides. It's less comfortable to use than the Logitech unless you have huge hands and there's less buttons on the stick. There's also a fuckoff bright green light whenever it's off-center that's supposed to demonstrate how accurately it centers (I already bought you, stick, why are you advertising your features to me?) but in my case it no longer centers accurately enough after a week or so of use to reliably turn the light off. There's also no dust cover protecting the innards.

Yeah it's by no means the best stick ever made, and ergonomically I would say the Logitech has an edge, but other than that, for the money at the very least, it's a great stick. The green light is an easy enough fix. Just use a permanent marker on it or a piece of electrical tape.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I'll have to play this. I had Black Shark years ago and it was hella cool, and I've got CH gear that I need to use more. Any idea if I can activate the Black Shark in this game via my registration key or something?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
If it is black shark 2, just put the code into Steam. If it Black Shark one, you gotta ask and pay a bit for an upgrade packet on the webpage.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So we did Operation Bactria.

Practicing buddy lasing with poor success and going back for a simultaneous landing.
It was pretty drat fun.

I used my iPad app to press buttons and a second monitor for MFD's. I had to touch the mouse very rarery, mainly relying on the switches on the iPad. The Sperg was with me and I savored every moment.

Uh oh, Burno caught an IR-missile early in the mission with little damage. On landing he lacked a nose wheel.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

It was pretty fun, and we didn't notice my wheels were out before I landed, but I stopped it in the center of the right half of the runway anyways.

edit: everyone should buy a track ir... also you get a 60% off coupon for a DCS module when you purchase track ir 5

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Tatrakrad posted:

I have this, it's OK with a set of pedals but I hope you like having basically every button on is as a modifier for the lonely little hat

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Tatrakrad posted:

It looks like Saitek is releasing a new model, the x-55, which looks to fall between the x-52 pro and the Warthog as far as price, features, and nerd cred go. If you don't like how the x-52 stick felt, the x55 has replaceable tension springs and it doesn't look like it's got all the aggressively annoying LED button backlights to pester you with.

Edit: How does the f15c compare to the a10 now that it has a fixed up cockpit and flight model? I know the A-10 is pretty much a straight ground attack plane, is it correct to assume that the F-15 is more of a multirole fighter in that it is designed to do ground attack missions as well as some air superiority? How do the two flight models compare and how difficult is it to handle flight/weapons on it compared to the other DCS modules?

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 14, 2014

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

Edit: How does the f15c compare to the a10 now that it has a fixed up cockpit and flight model? I know the A-10 is pretty much a straight ground attack plane, is it correct to assume that the F-15 is more of a multirole fighter in that it is designed to do ground attack missions as well as some air superiority? How do the two flight models compare and how difficult is it to handle flight/weapons on it compared to the other DCS modules?

It has no ground attack capability other than the gun, it's pure air to air. The systems modelling is simplified, it's similar to the free SU-25 in that it has an advanced flight model like the A-10 but starting the engines and weapon management is done with one button press and so on. The radar is pretty straightforward to use, you just move a cursor over a target and press a lock button. It does have a few different radar modes but none are massively complicated. Weapons are much simpler to use than the A-10, and you don't have a moving map or targeting pod to deal with, just the radar. There's no flight management computer or data link, and the single MFD is locked to the stores management page, but selecting weapons is a matter of pressing a keyboard shortcut, it's nowhere near as in depth as the A-10. It's pretty easy to fly and fight compared to the A-10 or KA-50.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Burno posted:

edit: everyone should buy a track ir... also you get a 60% off coupon for a DCS module when you purchase track ir 5

poo poo, I think I lost my coupon. Oh well, looks like they go 70% off on Steam every now and then. I'll mess with the free stuff this evening (if I can drag myself away from Dark Souls 2) and maybe look into importing the Black Shark.

I loved the Jane's AH-64D Longbow games when I was a kid but I bought Black Shark shortly before I started moving around the country and never really got into it. Peeking your Apache's radome up from behind a hill tagging a bunch of tracks and trucks, transmitting the data to wingmen, and then popping at once up to waste them with hellfires, rockets and a bigass chain gun was the poo poo. Hopefully multiplayer in this game is equally fun. Get hosed, tanks.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I cited my sources and all he said was, "owned owned owned owned owned"

DeathSandwich posted:

It looks like Saitek is releasing a new model, the x-55

This comes out fairly soon so I'll limit myself to the FC3 style planes until then. My level of skill probably makes that a necessity for Multi anyhow. There's still the question of head tracking but maybe free track noir will reveal its secrets to me

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mederlock posted:

If you want HOTAS, either spring for a Saitek X52, or alternatively (and this is probably the better option, quality/lack of sloppy controls) pick up one of these http://www.amazon.com/CH-Products-P...ch+pro+throttle

I have the CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle/Pro Pedals and can vouch for the excellent build quality. Moved from the Logitech Extreme 3d pro and it was night and day.

Also don't be like me and put off buying it forever because the stick isn't twisty so you think you need to save up enough to get all three at the same time. Throttle has a small thumb-placed joystick which works great for rudder, and if you want to go stick+pedals the stick has a throttle wheel (I'd recommend the stick+throttle if you're only getting two though).

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Thanks for the advice on the Ka-50. The thing is surprisingly easy to fly; I've never played a real chopper sim before but after reading up on the trim and autopilot a little it's a breeze. I have an easier time with landings than I do with the choppers in Arma.

Now I just gotta figure out the weapons. :v:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I've started playing again recently and god drat am I stupid for never bothering to mess with axes curves. I've got a Logitech g940 and it defaulted to 0 dead zone. Tweaked it a bit and now I'm flying the F-15 like a loving madman. Still getting blown the gently caress up because I'm not very good at out maneuvering missiles, knowing when to dump countermeasures, or knowing when the gently caress an IR missile is about to plow into my butthole. At least I learned that circles means friendlies after killing goons multiple times last year :milk:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Mike-o posted:

I've started playing again recently and god drat am I stupid for never bothering to mess with axes curves. I've got a Logitech g940 and it defaulted to 0 dead zone. Tweaked it a bit and now I'm flying the F-15 like a loving madman. Still getting blown the gently caress up because I'm not very good at out maneuvering missiles, knowing when to dump countermeasures, or knowing when the gently caress an IR missile is about to plow into my butthole. At least I learned that circles means friendlies after killing goons multiple times last year :milk:

There is no way to tell when an IR Missile is coming at you, besides eyballing for it.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Burno posted:

I was actually going to ask about this, because I just picked up a TrackIR. I'll eventually pick up FC3 or whatever the most complete version is because I'd like all the planes but for right now I can jump into A10 for like $6. Should I grab that or is there a different module that benefits more from being purchased a la carte at a good discount?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Are you talking about the A10C or A10A?

With the coupon, the A10C becomes around 15$.
The A10A is the softcore simulation from the Flaming Cliffs pack and SHOULD NOT be bought separately.

Buy Flaming Cliffs 3 pack for 49$ if you want them all , including some fighters such as updated F15Cand own five planes, or go for the hardcore A10C.

A10C is the clikable, all systems modeled.
A10A from flaming cliffs is keyboard shortcuts, basic functions and weapons modeled.

Flaming Cliffs planes are slowly getting better and also offer the only fighters into the game. They can be great fun, too.

Ask yourself if one amazing plane is what you want or a handful of lukewarms.

I didn't, I bought both.