Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I love this displacement roll picture on the Training menu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Time to dust off the X-52 and find the stupid trackIR hat bit!

It's been years since I touched black shark, but I will always have the fond memories of spending a solid week just learning how to turn the drat thing on and not roll on my side as soon as I left the ground. That bloody autopilot :argh:
Learning to fly around and land on buildings was massively rewarding, though. The Cyrillic text sort of killed the weapons systems for me, so hopefully this time around all will be good.

Hopefully time zones will line up, some P-51 racing sounds ace. Plus I have a major jonesing for some formation frogfoot-based ground target obliteration.

Embarrassing first-flight video coming in a few days, though I'll probably crop out the first two hours of pressing buttons and trying to close the canopy.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Started the A-10 campaign.

ATC, JTAC, and my wingman have sentenced me to THE SILENT TREATMENT.

Easy radio is on and I verified the tunings anyway. No dice, everyone just ignores me. Ground crew will talk to me and ATC will when I'm on the ground. Whatever, I land as I please and break all the rules :frogc00l:

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

I was getting used to the KA-50 in a free flight when I saw the boat. Only took 2 attempts to land on it! I didn't do a first flight video of the KA-50, but my first flight was pretty boring anyway. I actually managed to take off, and fly around for awhile, but I never got my HUD turned on.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Artless Meat posted:

I was getting used to the KA-50 in a free flight when I saw the boat. Only took 2 attempts to land on it! I didn't do a first flight video of the KA-50, but my first flight was pretty boring anyway. I actually managed to take off, and fly around for awhile, but I never got my HUD turned on.

I started to go through my full sperg checklist to see if I could replicate your issue, and I'm going to say you forgot to turn on K-041 Shkval Power. I got up to booting up the left engine before I realised that the HUD was already on, and because the checklist I have basically starts all the electronics first I just went backwards and disabled the ABRIS and Shkval until I saw the HUD turn off.

I even took the time to create this handy little guide.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Leo Showers posted:

I started to go through my full sperg checklist to see if I could replicate your issue, and I'm going to say you forgot to turn on K-041 Shkval Power. I got up to booting up the left engine before I realised that the HUD was already on, and because the checklist I have basically starts all the electronics first I just went backwards and disabled the ABRIS and Shkval until I saw the HUD turn off.

I even took the time to create this handy little guide.

Yup, I just double checked to try to replicate how I did it, and pretty sure that's exactly what happened. I'm really liking the way the KA-50 flies. First time actually playing on a random server I got popped by a sidewinder 5 minutes after takeoff from an F-15 I never saw though.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
So DCS modules go on sale several times a year right. I want to pick up Flaming Cliffs 3, but I was wondering if it's about time for a sale yet? Do they have a set schedule for sales or is it just sort of random?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Isn't there a big steam sale due soonish?

edit: price history of A10C DLC as an example

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 19, 2014

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Early July is the next expected sale period.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Anyone got a good tutorial on using the Black Shark data link in multiplayer?

e: Well, actually, more importantly, anyone got coop missions for it? Not much use if there's nothing to play. Most of the missions on the official site are either not in English or have missing textures and a warning not to edit them without some ancient mod.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 19, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

skooma512 posted:

Started the A-10 campaign.

ATC, JTAC, and my wingman have sentenced me to THE SILENT TREATMENT.

Easy radio is on and I verified the tunings anyway. No dice, everyone just ignores me. Ground crew will talk to me and ATC will when I'm on the ground. Whatever, I land as I please and break all the rules :frogc00l:

Same issue here :\ Its loving annoying!

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Dandywalken posted:

Same issue here :\ Its loving annoying!

Make sure you're using the correct radio to transmit. i.e. mic switch forward for most of your ATC transmissions (the 100-130 frequencies), mic switch down for your wingman (the 200-300 freqs), and mic switch aft for some JTACs (the 30-40 Freqs)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Here is an important note about the Training menu:

If you go to the SU-25T tab and select the first option, you're greeted with a blocky 1994 video where some dork blathers on for 10 minutes with a voice that is half-static, and this might understandably prompt you to leave the Training menu and never click it again. However, if you skip down to the other categories, these are not videos, but instead are interactive training missions run in the actual game, where a guy who sounds normal explains the various systems (power, navigation, weapons, etc.), and you have complete control of the plane and press every keystroke yourself. These training modules are really good and you should try them.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I posted a link to this earlier but if someone wants to add this to the OP I think this is the best tutorial on using the AN/APG-63 radar on the F-15C. High production value and really easy to follow along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhWeVETFPN0

And a link to the site with more tutorials/videos.

http://flankertraining.com/ironhand/a2a.htm

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Weapons training is going well.

This is from the KMGU Submunitions training mission, aka how to blow up a convoy in a hot second.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

AGM-65 Mavericks are easy as gently caress to use, as long as there isn't hostile air or SAMs it's so cheap.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Damnit! Fraps chewed up my hdd space while I was taking my first flight :(. Now I can't get it to record a do-over of the time I found out that the throttle wasn't the throttle axis, but the slider. Them TF-51s drift like mad and I hope that drift races have/will occurred.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Death from the UK :black101:

You better believe I had Wagner playing!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Make sure you're using the correct radio to transmit. i.e. mic switch forward for most of your ATC transmissions (the 100-130 frequencies), mic switch down for your wingman (the 200-300 freqs), and mic switch aft for some JTACs (the 30-40 Freqs)

I have easy radio and radio assists on and verify all the settings even then. No dice.

At least it gives me a reason to turn the radio off. In campaign AWACS just shoots their mouth off all day and I can't talk to anyone anyway.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Apache's shooting you with Hellfires is one of the worst things they've never fixed.

Also how come my Vikhr's auto lock on to targets sometimes, then other times won't?

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 20, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Heliosicle posted:

Apache's shooting you with Hellfires is one of the worst things they've never fixed.

Not a bug lol. You can fire em at helo's.

Just lovely mission design, same with guys who make your A10C go up against SA-15's etc.

SPEAKING OF RETARDED MISSILE ENGAGEMENTS...

A loving AT-6 Spiral. Fired at my A-10. At like 10k feet.

The Hinds fired like 6 of em. Dodged this one as well, thankfully... but still loving annoying given the Hind's RL targetting system limits.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 20, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Heliosicle posted:

Also how come my Vikhr's auto lock on to targets sometimes, then other times won't?

Hellfires should work against slow moving aircraft. The fire and forget variants anyways.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I am planning for the next Goonstang air race, so pitch up ideas to it.

We already had these ideas:

-a huey air race idea with slingload relay race.
-longer course with manpads in the corners
-relay with mustangs with takeoffs

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Leo Showers posted:

AGM-65 Mavericks are easy as gently caress to use, as long as there isn't hostile air or SAMs it's so cheap.

I finally got around to actually figuring out the A-10 weapon systems, at least the Maverick, Sidewinder, and unguided bombs. ATGMs are great. Blew up the Shilka from 4nm out on the turkey shoot mission trying to figure out how to get the Maverick to acquire a lock on it, then one of the BTRs taking potshots at me as I flew overhead trying to change to the unguided bomb and reset the HUD modes took out the cannon somehow. :saddowns:

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I stopped playing this a few years ago because the game performed like poo poo no matter how much computer I threw at it, but you folks are making it so tempting. Going to see how it runs and if I still remember how to make a Blackshark dance. I assume the DCS World distributed by Steam is identical to the one available directly from ED? Can never know for sure with this company.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 20, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

DSauer posted:

I stopped playing this a few years ago because the game performed like poo poo no matter how much computer I threw at it, but you folks are making it so tempting. Going to see how it runs and if I still remember how to make a Blackshark dance. I assume the DCS World distributed by Steam is identical to the one available directly from ED? Can never know for sure with this company.

Same thing. I'm pretty sure you can redeem Eagle Dynamics keys on Steam. The only bad thing is that it takes forever for ED to upload patches and new modules on Steam. If you have Black Shark 1 you'll need to pay them :10bux: or so to upgrade to Black Shark 2 and get a DCS World/Steam key for it.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
It's a slightly different version so that you can't install modules downloaded from ED's site directly into your Steam version, but now that FC3's licensing issues have been worked out this doesn't mean much since both versions work together fine in multiplayer, and you can use all your existing CD keys to activate the corresponding modules on Steam.

e:f,b

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

Same thing. I'm pretty sure you can redeem Eagle Dynamics keys on Steam. The only bad thing is that it takes forever for ED to upload patches and new modules on Steam. If you have Black Shark 1 you'll need to pay them :10bux: or so to upgrade to Black Shark 2 and get a DCS World/Steam key for it.

I got 1.2.8 on Steam pretty much instantly. I didn't have the beta version or whatever so :shrug:

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Vahakyla posted:

I am planning for the next Goonstang air race, so pitch up ideas to it.

We already had these ideas:

-a huey air race idea with slingload relay race.
-longer course with manpads in the corners
-relay with mustangs with takeoffs

Jet race using SU-25Ts

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Jet race using SU-25Ts

Touch-roll-Touch competition in SU-25Ts.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Take off next to a hostile SA-10 nest, first person to escape the WEZ wins.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
There are some pretty spergy servers with fighter-on-fighter action going on.
Using the AWACS is the only way to find them and the fighting is tense.

Downside is that the people there are pretty spergy, too. Flying in a group definitely helps and makes the fighting more manageable.
I recommend this for people owning FC3.
Just be prepared to eject often.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Heliosicle posted:

The TV system locks on to stuff that is 1. close enough 2. has the correct size(you input this, default is 10).

Ralt+[ / ] and Rctrl+] / [ changes this in steps of 10 and 1 respectively.

Wooper fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 21, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Took off on the MLRS hunting mission in A-10. Get the thing cold started 10 minutes later, except I didn't have a HUD attitude indicator (just the climb indicator) and I couldn't toggle it between guns/CCIP/CCRP bombing. Must have missed a step on the checklist but I have no idea what. :iiam: The HUD still told me where waypoints were though so I still found an MLRS and blew it up with the gun through the old-fashioned "shoot and see where the shells land" method.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

Took off on the MLRS hunting mission in A-10. Get the thing cold started 10 minutes later, except I didn't have a HUD attitude indicator (just the climb indicator) and I couldn't toggle it between guns/CCIP/CCRP bombing. Must have missed a step on the checklist but I have no idea what. :iiam: The HUD still told me where waypoints were though so I still found an MLRS and blew it up with the gun through the old-fashioned "shoot and see where the shells land" method.

I think you missed hitting EGI button center forward of the joystick

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Note to self: Don't adjust attitude after bomb release.

I have bombed myself twice now, and have no doubt it will happen again.

Plus the level of sperg in the SU-25T is just right - complex systems, but totally manageable after a few tries. Unlike the KA-50 which is just a cluster gently caress of switches and buttons that all need to be pressed while trying to babysit your trim.

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

Honestly, the KA-50 isn't that bad. The weapons aren't anywhere near as complex as the A-10 and are actually not that different to the SU-25, and while the trim system is difficult to figure out at first, once you get how it works, it's really quite easy to fly. I posted a link to a video on how the trim works a few pages back, it explains it far better than I could. I also posted a link to a set of decent interactive training missions that take you through it fairly well.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
The trim and autopilot are there so you don't have to babysit it when you're flipping switches and pressing buttons! Do what cormac said, learn how it works and it really isn't too difficult. I went into it expecting it to be way hard, having never flown a chopper in a real sim before, but I found the learning process very similar to my experience with the Su-25T: Took me a session to learn how to fly and another to learn how to blow things up and from there I could attempt actual missions.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Yeah, I'll head back at some point. I had the first edition of black shark, so it sounds like a fair hassle (and cash) to get it added to DCS world. I'm good for the moment, the 25T is heaps of fun which is refreshing for a sim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alr
May 14, 2009
Selected a "create fast mission" with the KA-50 with nothing but a medium amount of enemy vehicles, no AA, spring morning.

Found a group of three APCs on one of the peaks, decided to see if there was room to manoeuvre along the floor of a valley since there wasn't much visible around the target waypoint besides an ocean of clouds.

200 km/h at 50 feet in those conditions is hella fun, following the river led me out into this;

Good amount of space to hunt around, found 10 or so vehicles and was able to ascend to just over a thousand feet in some areas. After I'd had enough I used the enemy camera view to see if there were any in open spaces I could go looking for.

Most of them looked like that, so yeah.