Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I'll have to play this. I had Black Shark years ago and it was hella cool, and I've got CH gear that I need to use more. Any idea if I can activate the Black Shark in this game via my registration key or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Burno posted:

edit: everyone should buy a track ir... also you get a 60% off coupon for a DCS module when you purchase track ir 5

poo poo, I think I lost my coupon. Oh well, looks like they go 70% off on Steam every now and then. I'll mess with the free stuff this evening (if I can drag myself away from Dark Souls 2) and maybe look into importing the Black Shark.

I loved the Jane's AH-64D Longbow games when I was a kid but I bought Black Shark shortly before I started moving around the country and never really got into it. Peeking your Apache's radome up from behind a hill tagging a bunch of tracks and trucks, transmitting the data to wingmen, and then popping at once up to waste them with hellfires, rockets and a bigass chain gun was the poo poo. Hopefully multiplayer in this game is equally fun. Get hosed, tanks.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

How is combined arms? Having gotten a taste of it in War Thunder tank beta, the thought of manning a modern tank and being supported by goons in Warthogs is an enticing one. Multiplayer aside, how is the ground game, in general?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Heliosicle posted:

I had been looking to buy FC3 for years but every time it would go on sale I would remember I'd need to find a copy of the original Lock On for some dumb reason.

Because PIRACY :supaburn:. Black Shark's DRM was annoying back in the day. It was something like Starforce plus only 2 reinstalls per key or you have to pay a fee, or something like that.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Tatrakrad posted:

I hope you're serious about that thumb-joystick. My desire not to buy pedals is whats kept me away from CH thus far.

"Hey Tatra nice place you got here, hey whats that under your desk?"
"Not a toy for manchildren thats what its not"

I've never used my throttle stick as a rudder, but I imagine it would work well enough, with practice.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Skwee posted:

You could try but that would probably be terrible

The CH pedals come with little stoppers to lock the slide axis in place so that you can use them like auto pedals. It's serviceable.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Anybody have tips to make this game run better without killing all the graphics settings, or is this a case of "old engine just runs lovely now, welp"?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Shanakin posted:

If you've got a reasonably modern card it seems to be mostly CPU bound.

Gotcha. I'll see if there are physics things I can turn down, then.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Do you guys use imperial when you're flying, or metric? I switched it to the latter because I'm used to War Thunder, but I'll switch back to imperial if that's what everybody else uses, so I'm not doing terrible math in my head when people tell me how far away poo poo is, and such.

I'll probably snag Black Shark 2 tonight because helicopters own.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

gently caress helicopters.

I will beat the poo poo out your rear end, Charles.

Does the multiplayer support co-op in a single aircraft? Like, for attack choppers and such with both pilot and gunner, can you do that together? I think Longbow 2 had that decades ago and I always wanted to try it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

deck posted:

Record video of first flight. Post here.

Hello new unofficial thread rule!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Baloogan posted:

Pacific time best time.

Yup. Count me in!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Insert name here posted:

Well at least your wings are still intact:

Assuming we've advanced a bunch since WW2, this should take like 25 seconds to repair, tops.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Good times flying the free Mustang with Artless Meat and Vahakyla. Coordinated take-offs and flying in formation, including a conga line through some race pylons. Also Artless saying "damnit" a lot and I only rammed Vahakyla once.

Everybody should join us tomorrow at 4PM Pacific. Simply flying this old fart plane around feels hella nice, even though we're not shooting things.

I picked up Black Shark 2, so if anybody out there can help me remember how to fly this goddamn thing, holler.

e: Vahakyla's pictures above are much more honest :laffo:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

Out of this video, the best highlight is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKxF2z0CudM

Ahahahahahahaha

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Briefing footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmhGrJJjI7E

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Phone posting because a tree just fell and took out several cars and the power lines, hence my sudden exit from Mumble. Gonna have to miss this one, unfortunately. Have fun, bitches!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I love this displacement roll picture on the Training menu:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Here is an important note about the Training menu:

If you go to the SU-25T tab and select the first option, you're greeted with a blocky 1994 video where some dork blathers on for 10 minutes with a voice that is half-static, and this might understandably prompt you to leave the Training menu and never click it again. However, if you skip down to the other categories, these are not videos, but instead are interactive training missions run in the actual game, where a guy who sounds normal explains the various systems (power, navigation, weapons, etc.), and you have complete control of the plane and press every keystroke yourself. These training modules are really good and you should try them.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Weapons training is going well.

This is from the KMGU Submunitions training mission, aka how to blow up a convoy in a hot second.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I use the hat clip because nobody cares what I look like when I'm playing video games.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

i'm a dirty poor and raided my girlfriends dad's house for a Saitek Cyborg Evo and a Saitek ST290 he didn't want anymore. I don't have anything fancy like a track IR and there's no way I'm getting one soon. So can I actually play the game or what? I've always liked realistic flight sims, but they're a money sink. :(

Vahakyla posted:

Sign me up, what do I need?
[...]
Head tracking helps in DCS, but since this game is less about dogfighting and more about the systems, mouse look and hat view are more manageable.

You'll be fine.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Just flew with goons, followed directions like a puppy, blew up two SAMs with my SU-25T and then got blasted by a missile I didn't see, setting me on fire until a second one blew me apart like a fingat. Fun times.

I'm doing the Ka-50 interactive tutorials now but unfortunately they are balls compared to the SU-25T's.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

I like the Russian radar system's top-down navigation screen and map of airfields out to 512km away from you but separating target information between blocks on the HUD and the scan area display on the radar screen is pretty confusing compared to the F-15's radar.

Doesn't the Frogfoot have fire extinguishers? I haven't gotten around to flying it yet, I'm having too much fun with the Flanker.

Are the Ka-50 tutorials the ones with the Russian talking into a tin can?

The Ka-50 has interactive mission tutorials (see the bottom two categories on the Training menu; they're called "Interactive" or something) but they have too much "do this and now do this and now do this" with less explanation of why do you things, compared to the SU-25 interactive missions. I swear at one point the Ka-50 training had me turn WPT on and off like 5 steps in a row without explaining why I was turning it on and off. Maybe doing it a few times would would help me figure it out from context, or maybe I just missed something, but after doing that mission, I didn't feel like I understood what I was doing as well as I did after the SU-25T navigation stuff.

But they are still better than those videos featuring tin can rear end in a top hat and the worst video quality since Rob Schneider's A Fork In The Tale.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The Ka-50 trainer guy needs to sloooowwww down and enunciate. Half the time he sounds like he's mumbling with bread in his mouth. I'm getting the hang of choppering again, but ugh, this guy.

Bitching bitching bitching.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I found a nice training mission/companion document for the Ka-50: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2626185/

If you don't have a second monitor, just open the companion site (or PDF) on your tablet or something.

It's a basic "fly and shoot things" guide that skips a lot of detail, but will get you flying and shooting more quickly than the training missions. Put the mission in ...\Steam\steamapps\common\DCSWorld\Mods\aircrafts\Ka-50\Missions\EN\Single\

I'm digging the ABRIS. I was messing with the waypoint/map editing and that seems like it'll be immensely useful in multiplayer, once I get a feel for using it on the fly.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Ka-50 flyers, if you haven't yet mapped "collective brake" to something you can hold every time you're changing altitude, do so! This is the key that sets the altitude for the autopilot's Altitude Hold. Here's a writeup I found on the DCS forum:

quote:

The collective brake works exactly like the trimmer on the cyclic, but where the trimmer on the cyclic is for the PITCH, ROLL, and HEADING channels of the autopilot, the collective brake is for the ALTITUDE channel. And just like the other channels, the autopilot only has 20% authority over the controls.

An example of using altitude hold in normal flight would go like this:

1. Flying along straight and level, you decide you want to change your altitude.
2. Press the collective brake button (F) and hold it.
3. Adjust your collective to begin a climb or a descent (still holding the collective brake button).
4. Arrive at your desired altitude and adjust the collective to halt your climb or descent (STILL holding that button!)
5. Let go of the button for the collective brake (after you've stabilized at the new desired altitude).

At this point, the altitude channel will do its best to keep you at that altitude (either barometric or radar altitude). Remember that your autopilot can only do so much (20%), so drastic changes in the cyclic (or drastic changes in altitude if using radar altitude hold) will cause the altitude hold channel to work improperly.

In practice, this means that if you don't use the collective brake button, you'll be fighting the autopilot the whole time that it's on, instead of having it help you. Think about if you turn on the bank/pitch/yaw autopilot and then you never hit the "trim" button again. The helicopter becomes a stupid pain in the rear end to fly because you want to go one direction and the autopilot wants to go another. If you never hit the collective brake, then you're doing the same, except it's loving with your autopilot's altitude hold; you want to go up or down, but the autopilot wants to do the opposite.

IRL this isn't a problem, because the pilot must squeeze the collective brake to move the collective, but in the sim, you can move the collective without releasing the brake, and for some reason they didn't program it so that the brake automatically gets triggered when you move your throttle :shrug:.

Long story short, bind collective brake (default "f") to a button you can press every single time you move your collective, hold it until you stabilize your altitude, and your Black Shark will be easier to fly.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Does anyone still have one of those 60% off DCS coupons, I have a strong urge to upgrade my BS1 to Black Shark 2 and/or buy the Huey, but $50 is outrageous

Between the nonsense you have to deal with to install BS2, and the codes from the DCS store not working in Steam until like a week later, I just said "gently caress it" and bought BS2 instead of upgrading.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

This is nice with two monitors:

3 would be even nicer :allears:.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

tehsid posted:

Wait. This is a thing? I have 3 monitors and have to try this asap.

The long story short is that you can configure the screen/display layout basically any way you want, regardless of how many monitors you have. It's a very versatile system.

There are a bunch of presets in the options menu. I'll note that the game doesn't actually know or care how many physical monitors you have. It just fits everything into whatever resolution you have selected, whether that's 1920x1080 on a single monitor or 9000x5000 on half a dozen or whatever.

One quirk with the engine is that unless you are using something like Eyefinity to make all monitors act as one big monitor (instead of the standard Windows extended desktop), you'll likely have to make your leftmost monitor "Primary" while you're running the game, or else the mouse sometimes won't work properly in-game (cockpit switches, GUI, etc.).

Anyway, there are a bunch of presets you can mess with in the options screen. Anybody with any number of monitors can try them to see how it works, and if you want to do something not in the presets (such as have the Shkval in a PIP in the bottom corner of your single monitor), there are guides out there.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The event was cool but I for real need to figure out how to make this game run better, because my framerate was like 15fps and it made the experience kinda miserable, but if I put the textures or resolution any lower then I can't make out the cockpit labels/instruments very well :(. Maybe someday the game will look and run like a modern game due to engine improvemehahahahahahahahahahaha.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Comma Chameleon posted:

Hmmmm I have 2 monitors but how big of an effect on the framerate is this?

Seems about the same either way.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Wow Bagger posted:

I flew with the goons in an A-10C. We blew up some vehicles in a valley, then I tried to do a close range flyby of Shine and accidentally hit him, causing us both to crash. He was cool about it though.

Funny thing was, I didn't even realize what'd happened until I saw the death message. I was just flying the Black Shark and suddenly it went haywire and I figured "whoops, must have pissed off the autopilot again."

So you actually collided with me? I figured you just passed by me super close and it destabilized me like a huge burst of wind or something.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I love the current subtitle so please don't change that part! Also if you let me know what thread title you want, I can ask somebody to change it a little faster than PM'ing somebody.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

IceLicker posted:

*sigh* bought a CH Fighterstick... Won't be here until Monday but I have work all weekend so I won't be missing out in the meantime. I also won't be back from work in time for the mission Sunday but I'll watch the stream and pretend I'm killing some god drat commies. Probably get a pro throttle next pay check. drat THESE COMBAT SIMS!

I've had the CH poo poo for years and they feel really, really nice. You'll be a happy camper.

I've been too embroiled in XCOM to learn flight sims lately, but I got the Flaming Cliffs pack (it activated in Steam immediately) so that'll probably drag me back in soonish.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Hahahaha they're full of poo poo. Oh well, good thing I activated my FC3 yesterday.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

Cool, thanks :)

Actually another question, how much of a handicap is it going to be to not have TrackIR or OR? I eventually plan on getting an OR but the DK1s make me nautious the resolution is so bad and the TrackIR just seems weird to me. You turn you head but have to keep your eyes locked on the screen? Seems uncomfortable.

As noted in the OP, head tracking is nice but not super necessary in these games. It's more important in sims with lots of dogfighting, such as WW1/WW2 stuff.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

No mods needed.

Jerk.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Should I get the WW2 planes while they're on sale, or will I stop caring about them the moment IL-2:BoS goes on sale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Aight, I'll just wait for BoS to go on sale again. In the meantime, War Thunder is fine.