Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

It was pretty fun, and we didn't notice my wheels were out before I landed, but I stopped it in the center of the right half of the runway anyways.

edit: everyone should buy a track ir... also you get a 60% off coupon for a DCS module when you purchase track ir 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

No sooner had I finished setting up my controls for F4 BMS than my USB hub shorted out. I have a suspicion this will cause all my controllers to be renumbered and mess up my DCS, war thunder, and BMS controls.

But the worst part is I can't plug in everything until I get a replacement. Thank god for same day delivery.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

Took off on the MLRS hunting mission in A-10. Get the thing cold started 10 minutes later, except I didn't have a HUD attitude indicator (just the climb indicator) and I couldn't toggle it between guns/CCIP/CCRP bombing. Must have missed a step on the checklist but I have no idea what. :iiam: The HUD still told me where waypoints were though so I still found an MLRS and blew it up with the gun through the old-fashioned "shoot and see where the shells land" method.

I think you missed hitting EGI button center forward of the joystick

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

And MANPADS shooting up to 17,000 feet? Those are some loving pro shooters....

I think that is kind of misleading because most A-10C missions are in the mountainous areas of the map where 17,000 MSL is actually more like 5,000 to 10,000 AGL

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Shine posted:

I use the hat clip because nobody cares what I look like when I'm playing video games.

JJ Jonas wears hats too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dktiXszNTU

Do you want to be like JJ Jonas?

I am a proud track clip pro owner.

fake edit: did you guys ever think of just using a rubber band to hold your broken track clip pros to the headset?

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

dominoeffect posted:

How is the multiplayer? If I play by myself sometimes could I compete?

We fly a lot of coop, so yes.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Its a love tale between an A-10C and SU-27

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Heliosicle posted:

I've been flying everything with a very old Microsoft Sidewinder just fine, so you're probably fine without a full HOTAS setup - although I'm sure it would make it cooler since its quite :spergin: game.

That said I would really prefer to not have to use the keyboard constantly.

you can setup modifier keys so you can use 1 hat to map all the hats on the a-10's HOTAS

I think that would go a long ways towards freeing you from the keyboard

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

I am on CTS mumble in the DCS channel if anyone wants help setting up Falcon BMS or info/help on getting/installing it

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Goon RTB with engine damage

On the taxiway

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

First flight SEAD strike callsign Snake took out 3 SA-2s, 2 SA-13s and Baloogan got some random Radar with cluster bombs
One F-16 damaged from an SA-14 (I think?)
I think most of us RTB without dropping cluster bombs as we were heavily defensive from MIG-29s, and Elukka couldn't get his HARMs to launch.

Second flight BARCAP callsign Stud, I think we killed approximately 11 hostile planes a couple of MIG-23s, MIG-29s, and MIG-19s.
One F-16 lost to something, I am not sure anyone checked to see what took it out.

Both flights were Baloogan, Elukka, semper wifi, and myself.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Mederlock posted:

Anyone want to play some more Falcon BMS this evening?

Um, yes.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

No problem. There are just keybinds to fire chaff, flares, and run countermeasures program, but I can't find a bind to select which program to use, which is what I assume CMS does.

There is a program dial in the cockpit to select countermeasure programs 1-4. Unlike the A-10C where the CMS controls the program, in the F-16 it controls the ECM, run program 1-4 (preselected on dial), or program 8.

There are some good diagrams of the HOTAS functions in the BMS manuals folder, which resides in a manuals subfolder of the BMS install directory.

Such as these:

A-A MASTER MODE:
Side stick:

Throttle:

A-G MASTER MODE:
Side stick:

Throttle:

I also came across this which may help keyboard players and should probably go in the Falcon BMS post near OP:
They should all be known by anyone playing the game either on the KB or bound to joystick...

code:
    Function				Default (from BMS.key)

Trigger				“/” on english keyboards, “-” on most other european keyboards.

Pickle				Space

TMS Up				Ctrl+Up

TMS Down				Ctrl+Down

DMS Down				Ctrl+Alt+Down

Cursor slew				Arrow keys

Run countermeasure program		Z or X

Comm 1 and 2 transmit		Alt+1 and Alt+2

Wheel brakes			K

Nose wheel steering			Shift+/ or Shift+- (same difference as Trigger)

Gear up/down			G

Speed brakes out/in			B

Dogfight mode enable/cancel		D and C

Antenna tilt down/up		F5 and F7. F6 centers.
Edited to clear up readability because posting big posts from a phone is a bad idea.

Burno fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 3, 2014

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

We have been trial running it right now, if anyone wants to come try it out on my server.

Everything you need is already with BMS just a matter of binding some keys and enabling it when you connect to the server.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Sorry dudes who showed to fly and may have been disappointed.

I got stuck at work until I was a little late, then when I turned on my PC my joysticks had all new direct x ID numbers which completely render the BMS key profiles useless. Then when I tried to host in 2D it seemed like it was crashing.

I still haven't fixed my controllers, and it is very frustrating. Anyways it looked like Baloogan's server was working so I hope you guys were able to get a couple of flights in tonight.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

So I finally just fixed my controls!

I am down to fly some A2G stuff tomorrow, I love dropping LGBs on Targets.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

For tomorrow I may have accidentally become a SEAD expert

You too can wipe out an entire SA-2 site with minimal :effort:

If you are on mumble tomorrow I will show you the way.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Situation is kind of flipped in DCS where only the Mig-29S can carry R-77s. Of course the missile modeling now is so weak that a <M> on your RWR is more like "Hey FYI, there seems to be a missile out there. You might want to do something about it sooner or later, if you're not too busy and have some free time. Otherwise no biggie. Just thought you'd like to know."

Edit: DCS models the Su-27S, and I'm guessing Falcon has the Su-27SM. Different avionics packages.

The missiles in DCS also seem to fly only direct profiles, unlike BMS where the BVR missiles will climb to like double the launch altitude and enter terminal stage with a lot of kinetic energy

This also has the added effect of really lovely ranges in DCS if you want to actually get a kill

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

concise posted:

Here is the Falcon BMS 4.32 Flight Manual for spergs who care:
http://www.candyparty.com/ST/Download/Checklists/BMS/Document/BMS432_dash1.pdf

There is a manual folder in the BMS install directory with this and a ton of other manuals/guides. I recommend reviewing at least the BMS specific ones, but there are also threat guides and others from previous falcon 'mods' like FreeFalcon and Open Falcon.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Elukka posted:

I'm having weird problems locking things up in BMS. Air-to-air locks on the FCR work absolutely fine. HMCS locks work almost never; I've been able to get the circle by holding TMS up once or twice, but the vast majority of the time it does nothing. The same goes for Maverick seeker locks and TGP locks. Most of the time TMS up does nothing. What's up with this?

You need to uncage the seeker head.

quote:

The UNCAGE switch is used to cage/uncage missiles, remove the AGM-65 dome cover, and provide AGM-65 weapon video.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Wicaeed posted:

Speaking of Falcon BMS, does anyone have a good X52 Profile?

I think most goons are rocking this one:
http://wiki.hoggit.us/view/Falcon_BMS_Setup#X52_Pro.2FNonPro

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Package #1

Package #2

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

MrYenko posted:

Anyone with a G940 have any success getting all the axes bound in BMS?

My physical toe brake axes are bound to the in-game pitch and roll axis dead zones, (why are these even separate axes wtf 1998,) and I can't seem to unbound them, to apply the physical axes to the proper control.

On the non advanced screen select the joystick as the primary controller. As for the 940 I am pretty sure there is a profile on the hoggit BMS wiki for that joystick.

edit: yup:

http://wiki.hoggit.us/view/Falcon_BMS_Setup#Logitech_G940

Also here was the last flight I was part of today, two MIG-23s with guns:

Also this is a thing again:

Burno fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 9, 2014

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Baloogan posted:

This is your falcon on drugs.
(this is why I missed out on being in the first sortie)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra0oRTOGhk4

Nice!

Also, anyone interested but w/o a joystick, the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is 19.99 on Amazon US right now... The chosen stick of aces like Muhlump

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Extreme-Joystick-Silver-Black/dp/B00009OY9U/

Burno fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 12, 2014

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Anyone? It'd be helpful

Try one of the other Korean theaters. The Korea Strong DPRK one has B-1Bs and B-2s plus others I think, also each scenario has different planes, the most dire situation one usually has fewer squadrons in much better planes. However there is an application to edit the squadrons it is called TacEdit. Load it to day 1 and change a squadron.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

simble posted:

HOTAS Warthog + Track IR. My strategy was get low in DGFT mode and just look up for spots in the sky, pop up and shove an AIM-9 up their poop hole. Bonus points if you saw 2 or 3 guys furballing above you and you get to shoot all of them.

I don't know if you use the AB detent on the TM Warthog, but if you file down the leading edge of the insert you can get a slight stop before you go AB that you can then push up over without having the lift the throttle.

DSauer posted:

Once you run them dry its not so bad. They don't seem to have any effect on the aerodynamics of the aircraft its just the weight that's the issue. Neat that they allow you to free up two hardpoints under your wings but you can't really use those hardpoints anyway as ordinance is just adding even more weight.

Are you flying Israel 0.991?

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

It seems pretty interesting.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

I do think at some point the Korea PVP one could be fun. It looks like the HQ only tasks BARCAP flights.

I am messing around on the Israeli one and it is nice to be able to carry 4 GBU-31s :getin:

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

There is something special about zipping across North Korea at mach 2 just screwing all their radars up and being almost invulnerable. Then going for a refuel and doing it again.

:swoon:

However, refueling 32,000 LB of fuel sure does take awhile.

I also added a bunch of other planes I wanted to check out to Seosan AB and this happened:

I got your B-52s, not pictured are the 4 in front of my plane.

Burno fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 16, 2014

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

edit: DPed

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Chiwie posted:

Can you run aus spec F-111Cs? I need to reenact 8 1000lb bomb runs from RD in this game.

I don't know about the F-111C but there is an F-111G with an Aus skin, but it can only carry 4x2000lb or 24x500lb

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Guess who found out how to add B61s to the Campaign :getin:

Did you use TacEdit or Mission Commander?

Can you replace the F-111G with the F, if you added it. The F get the AGM-130. (And GBU-28)

I am totes down to fly EF-111A during our campaign.

Burno fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 16, 2014

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Wait, you can fly other planes in Falcon BMS?

Yes you can almost fly anything in the games units but they basically have F-16 avionics and very basic flight models.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

So last night I briefly flew over North Korea in an EF-111A and thought it seemed like I was invulnerable, but then this morning I was trying to read more about how the ECM flights work while a player is flying and some BMS guys said it doesn't work when a player is in control of the plane.

Well I just tried in a TE and approached an SA-10 at 40k feet and got this picture

So yes EF-111A does work for jamming while being flown by a player. There are some quirks to it though.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Lee Outrageous posted:

Something just randomly came to mind with the talk of JDAMs and those B61s. There was a tactic employed by SAC medium bombers carrying those things to basically lob them into a target zone by pulling an Immelmann and releasing the bomb at 45 degrees. They did that partly because the high speed of the bomber carrying it allowed it to throw it a fair distance to avoid the blast. It then occurred to me that you could probably do the same thing with some JDAMs at mach 2 and keep clear of areas with heavy AA. Anyone ever tried this?

You can use CCRP for toss bombing. It works pretty well. With the JDAMs you can use the ripple qty 4, impact spacing 999 ft and cycle steer points to throw 4 JDAMs on 4 different (nearby) steerpoints with a toss bombing.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

You can get a force sensitive sensor mod for the warthog now which probably makes it the best stick out there if you are going that route.

The warthog throttle works well enough in BMS w/morphine's profile. I was talking last night about moving the antenna elevation from the slider to the coolie hat which I may try to set up.

Burno fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 17, 2014

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Which is a better priority for me, kind Goons: I've currently got a Logitech Wingman Extreme 3d pro, and its got a little bit of give/wear in the twist and X/Y axis, but it works fine for everything but DCS: Huey.

Should I save for and buy a :

X-52 and use the superior twist to make do with the Huey

90 buck rudder pedals and ride this stick til it dies, and use the rudder for super helicopter flying hooray Vietnam

Do you have a trackir or similar? In my opinion trackir is the 2nd thing I would get if I already have a somewhat decent joystick. Then a HOTAS and rudder pedals last.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

We also found a lone B-2 cruising at something around 18,000-20,000 feet headed straight for the center of the DMZ.

Given how many planes were on the DMZ, I kind of doubt he made it through unless North Koreans are blind.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Chuck Tanner posted:

I don't understand how it's not super necessary. Even if you aren't dogfighting it's incredibly helpful to be able to look around and keep an eye on everything.

My advice to anyone on the fence is; If you can afford it, do not hesitate to get a TrackIR, you will never understand how you were able to play without one before.

Yes basically if my track IR were to break I would have to stop playing flight sims and wait for a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Sauer posted:

Please stop shooting down your AI squadron mates. You're basically blowing up downs syndrome pilots. That's cruel.

Found out today that if you place Pre-planned Threat steerpoints in the campaign map prior to taking off you can select those PPTs by running the cursor over them in the HSD and pressing TMS-Up. Which makes sense I guess given that PPTs are just a regular steerpoint in your mission computer. No more trying to triangulate a SAM site using the RWR... as long as you knew the site was there before you launched.

You know about target steerpoints, right?

Also dudes should fly some BMS. I am just shooting down AI planes in match play right now.