Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Uhhhhh this is Whiskey Dick 420 how copy

Uhhhhhhhhh say again this is Whiskey Dick 420 how copy

When I play DCS, all my pilot jargon is expressed in Busta Rhymes lyrics.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

EDIT: NM Im the dumbest of cunts

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 13, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The Ferret King posted:

Having any source of light behind you can really tweak out the sensor. I've had to block a few windows in my office for that reason.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to move a lamp because every single god drat light in this room is within view of the Track IR :P Playing in total dark is just too much.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Shine posted:

How is combined arms? Having gotten a taste of it in War Thunder tank beta, the thought of manning a modern tank and being supported by goons in Warthogs is an enticing one. Multiplayer aside, how is the ground game, in general?

IMO, dont buy it for the ground combat :( Sure its fun, and the tank FCS/Laser lets you bust out shots with fantastic accuracy, but the ground game is still really limited. If you want to be a dedicated FAC then its a good buy. Also, being a Stinger dude vs helicopters is fun as gently caress.

Also, you cant loving tell friendly Ai to land and rearm. So if your SEAD F16's just used their 2 HARM's, there's no "Kk you did your job, RTB and rearm :)" option. There's just "Ok. Loiter and strafe those Zu23 emplacements til you die".

The taxpayers are FURIOUS

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yep. T-Frog hits the right balance between spergin' and fun I think.

Also they're a godsend on SEAD :P

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

The SU-25T owns in a package with A-10s for taking down air defenses. Also, depending on difficulty levels, an F-15 doing a Mach 1.5 pass over air defenses to make them all turn on their radars is pretty funny.

I'm still vaguely bitter that half the SAMs seem rather nerfed.

Mix of Russian AND US planes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EknTPz1vcM

If you arent rolling in blaring this poo poo, then you're not flying right.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Still dont know why they're doing the AH-1G :( Vietnam-era model that cant even use TOW's IIRC.

Why not the E or later? I wanna get funky with the M197...

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

I guess I'm playing too much falcon BMS.

Oddly, it does exist in the game files.

Same with the Longbow Hellfire. They just arent used by default :\

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 18, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

skooma512 posted:

Started the A-10 campaign.

ATC, JTAC, and my wingman have sentenced me to THE SILENT TREATMENT.

Easy radio is on and I verified the tunings anyway. No dice, everyone just ignores me. Ground crew will talk to me and ATC will when I'm on the ground. Whatever, I land as I please and break all the rules :frogc00l:

Same issue here :\ Its loving annoying!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Heliosicle posted:

Apache's shooting you with Hellfires is one of the worst things they've never fixed.

Not a bug lol. You can fire em at helo's.

Just lovely mission design, same with guys who make your A10C go up against SA-15's etc.

SPEAKING OF RETARDED MISSILE ENGAGEMENTS...

A loving AT-6 Spiral. Fired at my A-10. At like 10k feet.

The Hinds fired like 6 of em. Dodged this one as well, thankfully... but still loving annoying given the Hind's RL targetting system limits.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 20, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

So there's all these tutorials on shooting bad guys in the A-10 but nothing about what to do if something shoots a missile at you. Is it safe to leave the countermeasure system in AUTO mode so I can concentrate on getting the hell away and looking for the AA to target with an AGM or should I handle it manually?

Depends on the threat. MANPADS you can nullify just by flying higher than they can reach. 17k feet is what I'll do, though generally I'll go 20k to be a super oval office. This goes for all IR SAM's really.

For most radar missiles in the A10, height works against you. You'll want to be low enough to break LoS and by extension, the missiles lock. It'll go dumb and self-detonate a few minutes later. gently caress ya, Buk.

For SACLOS like the Tunguska, hide behind a hill and they'll miss, guaranteed.

For AA, the thing to remember is that no matter how accurate the gun, the bullets are dumb when they're in the air. You can dodge that burst just by not being where they thought you would when the bullets get to you.

The fact is, if you're being shot at by anything Radar guided, you have the right to call your mission maker a oval office for not properly SEADing the area. A10's shouldnt be there if radar SAM's are poppin'.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah, I use the altitude ASL for the A10C. So due to the mountains etc, it isnt actually 17000 feet AGL.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lemme tell ya about the time I FF'd two friendly F-15's in a row when they dived in on the Su27's I was targetting :( :( :(

EDIT: Thinking of alternate things to mount Track IR Track Clip Pro to. I may use the band from a Paintball mask under my jaw, because my headset is literally falling apart. The left part with holds the mic just falls off, dangling by wires for some reason.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 22, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

SA-15's versus F18's shouldnt be an issue I imagine. Just play it smart and leave the radar off until the dorks get close as per usual.

They cant even use ground-attack weapons in their faux-Hornets :eyepop:

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 23, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah the Track IR is 100% not necessary. Just gotta get a stick with throttle and hat switch I'd say and you're good to go.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Thief posted:

Actually, that stuff like infinite ammo is good for practicing really wide BVR poo poo.

Agreed. Operating systems etc should be left realistic, but actual ammo I think can be safely set to infinite for practice. Otherwise you'd just be restarting over and over.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah I have horrible times trying to spot anything without labels on that's not on my radar.

Shame only the A10 is really JTAC compatible. They're a godsend really :(

Could always include a slot or two for the guys who bought CA? Player JTAC's work totally fine.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Fredrik1 posted:

DCS should really do smart scaling like falcon does. It would improve the game so much.

I've tried various labels but it just makes units stand out way too much for me.

Christ, agreed 1000%. Like... I can get by with just using red/blue dots, but even then it feels sorta lame.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Falcon 4.0 has one amazing feature that no game Ive ever played has featured, and I never foresee happening again.

You're in your F16 being a fucker, and eat an SA-13 and are going down. You call in to your base, give em your coordinates while you're riding 'er in, then tell em to launch search and rescue. You punch out.

You start another mission (dynamic campaign of course) and are going to another target for whatever reason. You boredly cycle through the aircraft in-theatre to see how shits going, and YOU FIND THE loving BLACKHAWK GOING TO RESCUE YOUR DUDE FROM THE PREVIOUS MISSON. Just buzzing in there to do his task. The best dynamic campaign experience is in the small things.

You'll never find a better campaign than Falcon BMS. Co-op though DCS may be better honestly. I've never heard a good thing said about Falcon's MP stability.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Beautiful pics! I regret sitting it out :(

EDIT: Christ the campaigns are annoying. Sending A10's into the loving air while there are actively emitting radar SAM's and AA PLUS loving ENEMY MIG29'S IN THE AIR is just retarded. Yet mission after mission you do just that.

Oh, and you dont know where the targets are because JTAC doesnt work/was broken in a patch. GOOD LUCK LOL

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 29, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Heliosicle posted:

I wonder if it would be possible to implement a dynamic campaign like in BMS in DCS, there aren't always goons to fly with so I've mostly been flying sp missions, it would be cool if there were a "war" dynamic mode where you could just do random sorties in the various aircraft available.

This would be the greatest thing. Maybe one day there'll be a community DCG ala those for Rise of Flight and Il2, but I dont think there will ever be one by default.

I just watched two friendly F16's lose to two Su25's in a fight because the F16's refused to take action/fire again after their first AIM120 had missed. They wont loving fire until the original has crashed/detonated. I'm all sorts of furious at video games atm :(

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Elukka posted:

This is the worst drat thing. There's already a very limited amount of missions available, they can't afford to be losing half of them to lack of backwards compatibility. One of the dumbest (though usually easy to fix) things is how they change aircraft skin names around so old missions will refer to skins that no longer exist and you'll get bright orange MISSING TEXTURES.

Was wondering why every loving KA50 in the current DCS A10C campaign looked exactly as you described. God drat.

Agreed, its the loving worst. Makes AI behave totally differently as well.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 30, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Watching. Hoping for a 3:1 KD at least :getin:

May buy the T-16000M later tonight at full price even. Unsure if its worth it!

EDIT: Witnessed a tragic take-off accident. Was that lag? Seemed loving bizarre.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 31, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tenchrono posted:

Russian Bias!!! :argh:

Was it you who scored the gun kill on the fleeing MiG29? Who... managed to fly on fire about 50+ miles home, engulfed in flame?

In my book, it was a gun kill :colbert:

Was fun to watch guys! Had 3 non-goon buddies in there too who're into DCS, they enjoyed the show as well.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Chasin Su25's across the border. Two patriotic Americans died. RIP, heroes.

What downed you all? Did they actually scramble a full squadron of MiG21's?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

You get bonus points towards promotion if you mutter puns regarding the NATO codename of SAM's when ya SEAD em btw. Outloud. IRL.

"Hey there, where'd ya... GO-A?" to SA-3's etc

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Post when streams go live please. Gonna order the family dinner, but nothing else going on this evening :(

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I think its the way that F4 naturally comes off as you being part of a total war, rather than DCS when it really does feel more confined.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

So in theory, can multi work with some player not even in a Falcon? Like some dude in an F4, F5 etc? Or has BMS been more strict than the old days of FreeFalcon etc?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sweet butts. Stream plz.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Top Hats Monthly posted:

:allears: Tell me about more goofy damage you can do to your plane.

Here's my contribution:

http://imgur.com/dm8JPwT

Igla knocks out only those exact components. My ILS, EGI, and my god drat VHF FM radio which I'd need to use to contact tower.

Just landed it manually, like before I knew how to set up the other instruments.

This was at no point a threatening amount of damage, but just enough to make RTBing annoying. gently caress you, Igla.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Time to sperg it up a notch.

http://lomac.strasoftware.com/tacview-en.php

Load the replay in Tacview. Give a drat congressional-report on what cause the airframe's disentigration.

EDIT: gently caress nm, didnt know you had to engage recording manually whyyyyyyyy the taxpayers are furious

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Stream BMS tonight, please :( I've been streaming DCS privately for friends but Im so lovely that I dont think it'd have an audience!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I'd never heard about the anti-competition thing :eyepop:

Well, since I've owned and used a TrackIR its a bit too late for me to argue against em. But thats definitely lovely and shady business on their part.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

ITS TIME.

ITS TIME TO BUY.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Jesus CHRIST the Huey is exhilarating and nerve-wracking to fly. Managed to land my 3rd attempt. First was a rollover, 2nd broke the skids, third was ok. I can land now reasonably well, but it takes me uncomfortably long to inch into the landing spot.

Transitioning into a hover is what really fucks me it seems.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 5, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hadlock posted:

Someone sell me on the UH-1H Huey module

Are there "heli taxi" missions where I play crazy taxi in a helicopter? I have enough trouble staying in the air for 10 minutes straight, let alone learn the weapons system.

It looks pretty straight forward, dumb fire(?) rocket pods and point and shoot guns.

Guns and rockets are super easy to use in this. The problem is the sensitivity/finesse required for controls. If you've got rudder pedals, then gently caress yeah grab this poo poo. There's zero excuse not to. If you dont, then it depends. You'll be fighting the rudder alot, but the rest of the helo is a joy to fly. The M134's shred anything without armor. Frankly, they kill trucks etc TOO easily but I'll be damned if I complain :P

Biggest shock was learning "Hey, the collective isnt a throttle fucker. Stop using it like one you jerk." You increase it, and you'll need to apply rudder to counter it along with side-slip that the increased tail-rotor creates. You decrease it, you need to account for the drop in engine RPM and adjust the cyclic to make sure you dont drop too fast. If you're at below 20 knots, and drop above 100 feet/minute, then you're probably going to enter a vortex-ring state and plummet uncontrollably to the ground. The key to the Huey is anticipating how its going to react to your actions. You need to think ahead, but it does become more and more natural as you fly.

I still bob around alot in flight, but can land with almost certainty (but slowly :( No combat landings for me yet, and I'm not particularly accurate in hitting an exact spot). Not bad for one day though, I think!

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jun 5, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Burno posted:

The missiles in DCS also seem to fly only direct profiles, unlike BMS where the BVR missiles will climb to like double the launch altitude and enter terminal stage with a lot of kinetic energy

This also has the added effect of really lovely ranges in DCS if you want to actually get a kill

Yeah, the DCS Radar missiles (despite the protests from the devs otherwise) are hosed IMO. Watching an AMRAAM get its energy bled while fired FIVE MILES from the target is a bit bizarre to say the lease!

EDIT: Also sry for bailing on the stream, I know I hassle you all alot to stream the sessions. Its just that my Huey had downloaded, so... I'm sure you understand :P

http://i.imgur.com/osNMDBS.jpg <--- click because tables

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 5, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

But did you shout "GUNS GUNS GUNS" while doing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Christ, after day 2 I think I've gotten WORSE at the Huey than I was last night