Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Great job on the Mig-29 guide. Just a quick addition on how to identify friendly targets. This also applies to the Su-27 / 33 as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

DeathSandwich posted:

I remember at some point someone described the A-10 and the KA-50 as logical opposites in that the A-10 is a breeze to fly, but working the targeting computer/slew is kind of a pain, whereas the KA-50 is an unholy nightmare to fly, yet the weapons systems are a breeze to operate. Does that assumption tend to hold true?

The weapons systems on the A-10C are really there to make your life easier. TAD improves situational awareness and allows you to see the locations of friendlies, and to pass off targetting information between wingmen. And the TGP is a huge improvement over the prior method of handheld image stabilized binoculars that were used on Desert Storm and Kosovo. There's nothing forcing you to use the computers either. You can turn off the TAD and TGP and you're basically flying a A-10A.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Just spent the past 2 days playing with the SU-25T and I'm really loving this plane. FWIW I'd like to think I'm quite decent with the A-10C for comparison purposes. Even though it's free, it comes with a 6-DOF cockpit and advanced flight model. Performance-wise it easily wipes the floor with the A-10. The Su reaches 400+ knots in level flight with a full fuel and combat load, where the A-10 is lucky to break 300 knots with clean wings. In a hostile environment that means greatly increased survivability.

Its avionics are less fancy than the C hog (but more capable than the A model) but good enough to get the job done. It's capable of more mission profiles including SEAD and deep interdiction. Yeah the hog can plink the odd SA-8 / Zeus / Strela but only the Su can take on KUBs, HAWKs, Patriot and SA-10 sites (and nimble enough to dodge the return fire!)

What I'm saying is everyone should give the T-Frog a chance, it's free after all and you will likely be pleasantly surprised.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 15, 2014

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Popete posted:

Is it a good idea to just focus on learning one plane to start? Like if I get really good at the F15C will that translate to flying a MIG or SU?

I'm guessing of the FC3 bundle the F15C is probably the best to start with as it has the advanced flight model and other fancy stuff. But I'm also interested in jumping into some cool Russian fighters.

When I started off with fighters, I picked the F-15 and spent some time on it before moving on to other planes. Many skills do carry over, but each plane has its unique tactics and to get good it's worth sticking to one plane for a while. Definitely check out the Russian birds though. Since they will be your primary opposition in the F-15, it's good to be familiar with their weapons, sensors, and capabilities, even if you're primarily an Eagle driver.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Realistic answer is you don't need the latest and greatest 5th generation stealth super plane to bomb a truck convoy or intercept some bombers.

Comedy answer: F-15 only carries 8 AMRAAMs, bring 9 Mig-21's and have money left over.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Remember to drop your tanks next time too

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Popete posted:

Is the AMRAAMs range also effected by your radar scan on launch? I had a wide scan range (120 degrees and probably a tall vertical scan), so I'm wondering if information being passed to the AIM-120 was limited due to my huge radar sweep and thus reducing it's range

Nope because when you launch you'll be in TWS or STT mode anyway.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Dandywalken posted:

Same issue here :\ Its loving annoying!

Make sure you're using the correct radio to transmit. i.e. mic switch forward for most of your ATC transmissions (the 100-130 frequencies), mic switch down for your wingman (the 200-300 freqs), and mic switch aft for some JTACs (the 30-40 Freqs)

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Vahakyla posted:

I am planning for the next Goonstang air race, so pitch up ideas to it.

We already had these ideas:

-a huey air race idea with slingload relay race.
-longer course with manpads in the corners
-relay with mustangs with takeoffs

Jet race using SU-25Ts

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Take off next to a hostile SA-10 nest, first person to escape the WEZ wins.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is it safe to leave the countermeasure system in AUTO mode

The problem with AUTO mode is it will dump flares / chaff when it detects ANY missile launch, including your wingmen's Mavericks. I prefer manual or semi-automatic mode. The basic modes are:

A) Medium Chaff
B) HEAVY Chaff
C) HEAVY Flare
D) Medium Chaff and Flare
E) HEAVY Chaff and Flare <-- My favorite.

The ECM modes are

SAM1: For older single-digit SAMs (i.e. SA-8)
SAM2: For newer double-digit SAMs (i.e. SA-10, SA-11, SA-15)
AAA and Air to Air are self-explanatory.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Luigi Thirty posted:

So there's all these tutorials on shooting bad guys in the A-10 but nothing about what to do if something shoots a missile at you.

Agree with Dandywalken: Even the theoretical Pk 1.0 "Magic Missile", i.e. one that cannot be evaded once fired, can be defeated by avoiding its weapons parameters. That being said, sometimes you will be ambushed by a hidden SAM and it's good to know what to do once fired upon.

1a) If a RADAR GUIDED SAM has a lock on you, IMMEDIATELY go defensive. ECM on, pump chaff, and break to place the emitter on your 3/9 line. If he's BEHIND you, break INTO the threat until he's at your 3/9 line. If he's AHEAD of you, break AWAY from the threat to place him on your 3-9 line. Once placed at your 3/9 line, roll wings level, begin a shallow dive to gain speed.

1b) You won't receive any advanced warning for an IR-GUIDED SAM (the targeting radar of the IR-guided SA-13 being the exception), so if you visually see a smoke trail or your MLWS goes off, immediately break to put the threat on your 3/9 line as above. If launch was BEHIND you, break INTO the threat until he's at your 3/9 line. If launch was AHEAD of you, break AWAY from the threat to place him on your 3-9 line. Once placed at your 3/9 line, roll wings level, begin a shallow dive to gain speed.

2) GET EYES ON THE MISSILE. You have approximately 4-8 SECONDS from launch to see the missile's smoke trail. After that it will burn out and be invisible. By flying perpendicular to the launch, you've created the longest possible lead that the missile must pull, and its smoke trail should be more visible.

Do you see the smoke trail? Decision time!

a) Is the missile tracking you? All SAMS guide by proportional navigation, if it's tracking you, the missile should appear slowly moving or stationary relative to your plane. If it's quickly moving across your LOS, it's either lost track, got decoyed by your countermeasures, or is going for your wingman. Caution: when the rocket motor burns out, the smoke trail will stop and it will appear to be rapidly falling behind you. Don't be fooled, the missile is likely still tracking you (and now invisible) in this case.

b) Assuming missile is tracking you, how far out is it? Estimate seconds until impact.
- A missile launched at max range can be defeated kinematically (GO TO STEP 3)
- A missile launched within the no-escape range will need a last-ditch maneuver (GO TO STEP 3 and STEP 4).
- If very close (not enough time for STEP 3), go straight to STEP 4.
- CONSIDER DUMPING STORES. (Map your jettison weapons button to your stick)

c) No tally on the missile? Uh oh! Your chances of successfully evading a missile you can't see are poor. None-the-less, you should have some idea of what shot at you, and from approximately where. Give your best guess as to time till impact and go to Step 3.

3) REVERSE COURSE. Time this for after the missile's rocket motor has burnt out or at least 10 seconds before impact. You're never going to be entirely sure, but a little early is better than a little late.

Make a hard break 180 degrees the other way with altitude change to make the missile expend the most energy to correct it's intercept path. If you have the altitude, a Split-S is recommended, otherwise a diving break turn, slicing AWAY from the missile. Keep your speed up and dump chaff/flares during the maneuver.

If the missile was launched from far away, this maneuver might have been enough for it to run out of smash. If you have the time, wait a few seconds to get your speed back up, and reverse away 180 degrees again!

4) LAST DITCH MANEUVER. Either the launch was too close for #3 or the missile still has smash and is about to hit you. This maneuver REQUIRES VISUAL ON THE MISSILE. Time this for approx 3-4 seconds before impact. Again, a bit early is much better than a bit late.

With the missile off your wingtip, pull back on the stick, and at the same time, roll towards the missile to keep it in the same position off your wingtip. As you complete the maneuver, you're flying a barrel roll around the longitudinal axis of travel of the missile. This creates the hardest tracking problem for the missile.

Chances of success of the last ditch maneuver are increased by depleting the missile's energy with Steps 1 and 3 above, which is why do we them. Also chances are increased with more speed and maneuverability on your part, which is why you should consider jettisoning your weapons.

5) WHAT TO DO AGAINST A CLOSE RANGE HEAD-ON SHOT? Say that BMP you were going to strafe turns into a Strela at the last minute and shoots a missile in your face. Against a close-range head-on shot, your primary advantage is that the missile is heavier and less maneuverable because it has not burnt off all of its fuel yet.

a) Hard break 45-60 degrees away from the missile with copius amounts of countermeasures.
b) Unloaded roll followed by IMMEDIATE hard break in the opposite direction, with copious countermeasures.

You're basically jinking the missile, tricking it into going one way and then immediately going the other. Because missiles fly lead pursuit, it may over compensate during the first part and not be able to correct its course in time.

c) Roll out to place the launcher on your 3/9 line and prepare to execute last ditch maneuver for immediate follow-up shots.

Alternatively...

a) Hard break to place missile on 3/9 line
b) Immediately execute last ditch maneuver. If you have the altitude, strongly recommend rolling INVERTED from your break turn, and pulling DOWNWARDS, as you'll likely expend quite a bit of energy during the break.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 21, 2014

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

JacksLibido posted:

Why would you do a beam maneuver for a non-pulse Doppler radar? Why not go max speed with it straight aft to try for a fly out? Doesn't turning perpendicular to the launcher keep you in the WEZ longer?

Flying straight away is a useful tactic when you're absolutely sure you're near the outer zone of the weapons envelope. However, the A-10 only does 300 knots vs a Mach 3-4 missile, which makes running away less useful than in a supersonic fighter. Making the SAM follow you through a beam and reversal maneuver bleeds as much if not more energy than flying away slowly. Plus it keeps your tally on the missile and leaves you in a better position for further maneuvers.

When beaming a SAM you're not going for the Doppler notch but trying to waste the missiles energy via a longer pursuit course. By doing a series of beams and reversals, each time reversing away from the launcher, you will eventually move out of the weapons envelope while maintaining your defensive posture and SA.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

The Ferret King posted:

As others have said, the TrackClip Pro is fragile. You need to be careful with it, and eventually over time the plastic fasteners and seams will begin to break apart. You can extend the life of it by quite a bit with some clever gluing and taping. I eventually had to replace mine after several years of use and repairs.

I've had my TrackClip Pro for almost 6 years now and it's working fine. It's cheap plastic sure, but it's not a load bearing component so why the big deal? I'm not sure why everyone else's is breaking, maybe don't sit on it like a fat clumsy goon?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Luigi Thirty posted:

In multiplayer, I shot an AIM-120 from my F-15 at 15,000 feet at something my radar designated as not a good guy, an A-10 at 2500 feet. Immediately afterward I lost the STT lock and a few seconds later ended up with a teamkill. Huh?

Assuming there were A-10's on the enemy team and you were interpretting the radar correctly, the AIM-120 doesn't have IFF. It simply guides via data-link until it reaches active radar range, then turns on its own radar and homes in on the closest target. It's possible that after you lost STT, the A-10 maneuvered away and a friendly was in the area when the AIM-120 went active. FYI, maintaining radar lock after the AIM-120 has gone active does not improve its guiding nor does it insure that it homes in on the correct target if there's multiples in the area.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
The exposed wiring and LEDs look kinda ghetto tbh.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
That's what an integrated air defense network would so actually, pass targeting data via radio or datalink so your SAMs can conduct ambushes and the like. Also another useful tactic is to constantly turn your emitters on and off so that the enemy is being locked up on and off from all sorts of different angles. Very disconcerting.

I don't have CA but if some goons also want fly FC3 or A-10s together maybe we can do that too.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 23, 2014

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I flew Flaming Cliffs and IL-2 with only a Logitech Extreme Pro 3D, no track-IR, and it was more than playable. The trick is to use mouse-look and fly with the mouse in your left hand and the stick in your right. It feels a bit weird at first but you get used to it really quickly. Plus you typically have 5 buttons and a scroll wheel on your mouse, makes for a decent poor man's HOTAS.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Vahakyla posted:

Tonight, at 7PM EST, let's gather at Air Goon Mumble and either do coop missions with F15Cs or use them to get on the spergy servers and let's shoot down some nerds.

I'm down!

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
That was fun guys! (I'm Bear btw)

So Vahakyla, just looking at the replay, in the first engagement it looks like you had guns selected not a missile that's probably why you didn't have a firing solution. Also check your range scale because a few times you would have seen the bandits if you zoomed out a step or two.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Heliosicle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slyof2b_CNg

May have been cheating since it was only a MiG-23. Also the shoot lady was very persuasive so I fired the AIM-9M at a stupid point.

When shooting, I like to place the pipper just a tiny bit ahead of the bandit's nose, and squeeze the trigger while relaxing back pressure slightly so the pipper slowly moves down and through the bandit, raking the entire plane with fire. It tends to be kill in one burst vs. taking repeated tiny snap shots.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 24, 2014

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Has anyone tried using Tacview? I followed all the installation instructions but I can't get it to record any of my flights. :(

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Leo Showers posted:

So tomorrow day I am going to begin work on my masterpiece, a coop mission designed with goons in mind.

I envisage a large battle where guys establish air superiority and conduct SEAD while strike planes/helicopters clear ares for friendly ground forces. This will involve JTACS, as well as a couple of A-10C's running AFAC for attack runs. It'll be freeform so no heavy scripting or anything, but triggers and poo poo to spawn planes/victory conditions.

Also while I'll chuck in a few F-15Cs the BLUE fighters will mostly comprise of Su-27s, because they can engage air and ground fairly well so they won't neccessarily have to change planes when there is no air game.

It's also going to be in the dead of the night, thus the AFAC A-10s. It'll be up to the A-10s (and JTACS) to designate targets and drop illumination flares and such to assist the other planes. I could potentially remove it but what I want is a teamwork thing as opposed to Mr Ace winning the whole game.

Thoughts?

Please don't have it in the middle of the night. FC3 planes don't have night vision and it's not fun at all to fly around completely blind.

Edit: also in interest of frame rates, maybe have a few well protected ground targets instead of a 100 trucks on a road? And TBH, if we're flying CAS, there's no real need to put in a whole lot of friendly ground units, they just eat up frame rates.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 25, 2014

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Just figured this out but if you have an engine fire in the T-frog or any FC3 plane, you can shut down the bad engine by pressing CTRL-END for right or ALT-END for left engine, and that may extinguish the flames, allowing you to limp home on one engine. If you don't extinguish said flames you will spontaneously explode after a while. Ask me how I know.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I'm sure it does in real life but there's no separate command to activate them in game.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Wooper posted:

Turn on labels?

DCS supports customizable labels via the DCSWorld/Config/View/Labels.lua file. I have mine set to give me a small grey dot on aircraft within visual range (<15 km), without displaying the name, range, or side information. It's a good compromise to increase visibility given the limitations of playing on a computer monitor, while also being more realistic and less ugly than the default labels. I find it's good practice for when you're playing online on no-labels servers.

code:
AirFormat = {}
AirFormat[100] = ""
AirFormat[1000] = ""
AirFormat[15000] = "'"
AirFormat[30000] = ""

GroundFormat = {}
GroundFormat[1000] = ""
GroundFormat[5000] = ""
GroundFormat[20000] = ""

NavyFormat = {}
NavyFormat[10000] = ""
NavyFormat[20000] = ""
NavyFormat[40000] = ""

WeaponFormat = {}
WeaponFormat[500] = ""
WeaponFormat[2000] = ""
WeaponFormat[20000] = ""

-- Colors in {red, green, blue} format, volume from 0 up to 255

ColorAliesSide = {80, 80, 80}
ColorEnemiesSide = {80, 80, 80}

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Daimo posted:

I was just showing what it does for anybody else interested, nothing sarky.

I rather like being able to vaguely see it through the cockpit, which sorta makes up for not having 6dof.

Yeah there's no way to have cockpit obscure labels unfortunately (you can see default labels through the cockpit too), at least with the dot you have to be actively looking at instead of having it jump out at you like "!!! BLUE F-15C 6.2NM ENFIELD 4-2 !!!". You can try playing with the colors to make it a bit darker (lower numbers = darker), but if it's too dark then it looks too weird against the sky.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
So I was messing around with Nvidia Shadowplay and threw together a quick video tutorial on dogfighting, specifically the One Circle Fight. Hope this is helpful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMcM3r2LZzs

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 28, 2014

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
So how about a dedicated Falcon BMS thread?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I call it "Sue" since it's just a shortening of Sukhoi. Technically Mig should be "M.I.G." since it's an acronym but who cares really.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Situation is kind of flipped in DCS where only the Mig-29S can carry R-77s. Of course the missile modeling now is so weak that a <M> on your RWR is more like "Hey FYI, there seems to be a missile out there. You might want to do something about it sooner or later, if you're not too busy and have some free time. Otherwise no biggie. Just thought you'd like to know."

Edit: DCS models the Su-27S, and I'm guessing Falcon has the Su-27SM. Different avionics packages.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 5, 2014

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
How is BMS in terms of performance? My PC can run DCS on mostly high settings. I know the graphics aren't as fancy with Falcon but how does the dynamic campaign and all those AI flights affect performance? Does Falcon actually simulate all the flights in real time? Or just generate them within a certain radius of your plane? Are you able to interact with allied AI flights, i.e. call for help from friendly CAP?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
How can we influence the ground war most effectively? Escort some B-52s to plaster some tank divisions out in the open? Carpet comb Pyonyang?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I love flying, I'm just having issues with DCS, I start everything up and get ready but I don't feel like I'm having fun on the missions. They seem so pointless y'know?

Play multiplayer

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
IL-2 BOS is slated to come out on the next few months, you'll want pedals for that.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Get a set of pedals now. Later on, you can upgrade to a HOTAS and none of the higher end ones have twist

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Mr. Crow posted:

the TrackIR just seems weird to me. You turn you head but have to keep your eyes locked on the screen? Seems uncomfortable.

The movements are scalable, so a small turn of your head can rotate your view 180
degrees if you'd like. You can tune your own sensitivity curves per axis and for each individual game if you want

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Just bind a key to CMS LEFT and a key to SLAP SWITCH, which bypass all the settings on the panel and deploy programs 6 and 5 respectively. I'm too lazy to fiddle with countermeasure modes and program selection, so I went old school and made one dump a lot of flares and the other dump a lot of chaff. I can't remember which one is which so I usually just hit both in a panic. I am the worst f16 pilot.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Apparently they're skipping 1.2.9 and the next release will be 1.3 with EDGE.

Edit: Am I the only one who doesn't care about DCS: Utility Chopper, DCS: Obsolete Fighter, or DCS: Unarmed Trainer? Just release a full featured DCS: F-15 and Su-27 or Mig-29 and cash in my monies!

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
You'd think with their origins in the Flanker series, a high fidelity Su-27 would be high on their priority list. I mean they probably have access to the technical manuals being that they're from Russia and all. Plus I want to see the sperg lords cry about whether it's unrealistic to use English cockpit labels.