Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

fletcher posted:

Do you guys kick your shoes off while you are at your desk?

I do a full Mr. Rogers and put on my comfy office sneakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

fletcher posted:

Oh yes, I'm always shoeless while sitting down.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

fletcher posted:

Absolutely. Otherwise my feet get too warm and uncomfortable. But I'll slip them back on when other people come in. Professionalism, etc. and because I'm not aggressive about weeding out the ones with holes in the toes

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

fletcher posted:

Yes, and I don't put them back on until I leave the office.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
http://parliamentcoworking.com/coworking-office-space/

I work here, mainly because if I worked from home I'd have to contend with family distractions (1 and 4 year old kids), and its kind of hard to enforce time boxes to them.

Really nice space that has a couple of meeting rooms so it rarely gets too loud, and even then I just throw on the headphones.

I work on an IKEA trestle table that's adjustable, usually at standing height but I drop it to sitting height if I'm tired or need a change.

I really like the coworking space for the networking/job opportunities/exposure to other disciplines. We have a copywriter, photographer, designer, developer, sales & marketing, SEO & Web strategy, animator, all in the one place. Place has easily paid for the rent in job opportunities.

return0
Apr 11, 2007
I hate people who take their shoes off in the office and will dedicate a lot of time to undermining and sabotaging them.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

return0 posted:

I hate people who take their shoes off in the office and will dedicate a lot of time to undermining and sabotaging them.

Your feet hate you.

I worked for a couple of years in Vietnam, since most people wear flipflops they end up barefoot in the office. You would have loved it obviously!

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
I wear arch supports since I'm walking on hard carpet right on top of concrete or stone flooring. But I'll take the shoes off if it's close my cubedoor time and I'm going to stretch or something.

I work in an office which is mostly women right now so I'd expect a lot of bare feet, but none of them wear heels to take off and do so with, except for one Monday/Wednesday only BA.

Senior dev wears vibrams and is kinda goony, but in the good way at least.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

fletcher posted:

Yes, almost always during the spring/summer/fall. Actually I don't even bother tying my shoes because my walk to work is only a couple minutes! :)

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

return0 posted:

How DARE people be comfortable around me

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

If you live in any place where you have frequent snowfalls and whatnot, taking your shoes off might be common decency to avoid making GBS threads up the entire office all the time, at least during winter.

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

fletcher posted:

[video type=""]richard-stallman-eats-something-from-his-foot.avi[/video]

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

That Turkey Story posted:

[video type=""]richard-stallman-eats-something-from-his-foot.avi[/video]

That video (or thoughts thereof) never fails to gross me out.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

fletcher posted:

I do, and put the (company provided, ESD safe) Birkenstocks on.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I posted a picture of my office earlier, but I thought I'd add a couple things that make my work somewhat different.

I work for a very much family owned business. It's pretty much my boss who is a developer consultant, his sister-in-law who handles much of the misc office tasks and helps design the websites, and myself. Sometimes the boss's wife comes in but that's getting rare.

We all have our own offices. Around 25-60% of the time I'm the only person in all 5 offices. My boss has to travel a lot and often spares me that, and the sister-in-law works usually only works 3-4 days a week around 4 hours at a time. Very nice as it is often extremely quiet unless I want to play some music or something. Even when everyone is in here it is usually quiet enough to hear a pin drop.

Sometimes the sister-in-law gets all heated up about something and I end up hearing her curse and throw a fit for about 20-30 minutes, but that is rare. Sometimes she will also blare something on Netflix or something (can't tell) when the boss is out of office. It can get grating, but I usually just throw on my headphones and remember what my old office environment was - no headphones or music, everyone (receptionist, sales, owner, myself) in an open area with a small cubicle wall dividing the shared desks. Cameras looking over our backs (really).

My office environment is generally awesome, and having my own office rocks. It can be easy to get lazy with no supervision and all the privacy I can want - but I like developing so it's not very often I feel that way.

Probably won't be this nice forever though. Plus eventually I would like to move from my small town to Seattle, the SF bay area, or NYC and enjoy a little bit of big city life. Maybe even out of country.

Anyway thought I'd share.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
I work in the communications office of an arts school doing web development. Very laid back and awesome.
Theres one other developer and occasionally a student intern. Also a project manager, two print designers and a PR person.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

streetlamp posted:

I work in the communications office of an arts school doing web development. Very laid back and awesome.
Theres one other developer and occasionally a student intern. Also a project manager, two print designers and a PR person.

Is it VCU? I think you work with my girlfriend...

I work for the state government downtown and here is my nice desk (it is a lot more messy right now)

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 11, 2014

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat

my bony fealty posted:

Is it VCU? I think you work with my girlfriend...

I work for the state government downtown and here is my nice desk (it is a lot more messy right now)

Ha, yes. What a small world

Green_Machine
Jun 28, 2008
My company stamps out "Scrum Pods" for each new development team we bring online.

Those pods are soundproof rooms with one door and one window, with all walls covered in whiteboard floor to ceiling, a projector, a conference phone, and open seating for six of the team members (devs, QA, BA). The PO visits that space as necessary. We decorate it however we like.

It's quite nice, like working in a small self-contained company.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Green_Machine posted:

My company stamps out "Scrum Pods" for each new development team we bring online.

Those pods are soundproof rooms with one door and one window, with all walls covered in whiteboard floor to ceiling, a projector, a conference phone, and open seating for six of the team members (devs, QA, BA). The PO visits that space as necessary. We decorate it however we like.

It's quite nice, like working in a small self-contained company.

That sounds pretty cool.

I'm currently contemplating applying to a company with a promising product and all, but one thing that's keeping me is that they keep ALL their personnel, 60+ people, in a single big room with no walls, cubicles or anything. There's enough space, but drat, I'm not sure what to make of this.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I used to have 12 19" monitors, 6x2, only four of which worked. At least the working ones were next to each other. e: I also was located at the absolute corner of the top floor of a pretty decent building in the CBD. My view was entirely obscured by these monitors.

Now I have two reasonable monitors, but I'm in the middle of an open plan office. The office itself is really nicely lit with natural light, and comfortable, but there are people yelling a lot and a lot of loud noises. At least the head of development no longer sits directly behind me with a clear view of what's on my screen. Everyone who walks by me does, though, and it's the only way to get in or out of the office.

ohgodwhat fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 16, 2014

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

fletcher posted:

I do, as 3" heels are a pain when sat all day.

But i cant show you my workspace, cameras are not allowed here.

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

I usually need music going if I need to stay focused on something. Something ambient or really upbeat.

Have y'alls seen this site before? http://musicforprogramming.net/ Some of it is more on the irritating side but otherwise it's not bad.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk
My place of employment is a bigass retailer but for casual programming at home I've got it all good.

I always have some music playing, but my headphones are draped around my neck because having it blasted directly in my ears would be too distracting. Foreign music or BGM albums work best so I'm not distracted by the lyrics. What matters most is fresh air and light. Always need to be near a window, just being able to look up and see some green a few times an hour is good for keeping focused and calm.

The only time I close the curtains is 4pm on Thursdays, because the nearby aquatic centre holds their "water aerobics for pensioners" at roughly that time. No one needs to see that poo poo. :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

ScottyWired posted:

My place of employment is a bigass retailer but for casual programming at home I've got it all good.

I always have some music playing, but my headphones are draped around my neck because having it blasted directly in my ears would be too distracting. Foreign music or BGM albums work best so I'm not distracted by the lyrics. What matters most is fresh air and light. Always need to be near a window, just being able to look up and see some green a few times an hour is good for keeping focused and calm.

The only time I close the curtains is 4pm on Thursdays, because the nearby aquatic centre holds their "water aerobics for pensioners" at roughly that time. No one needs to see that poo poo. :barf:

I am lucky although i work for a large company we can listen to music, this is my Work playlist http://grooveshark.com/playlist/Work+Playlist/99482919

u's(muse), Perfume, Guitar Hero 3 Music plus some other stuff. - I usually use it as randomised.

• Locked thread