Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
baw
Nov 5, 2008
RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

so like, anyone can request that personal information about them be deleted from search results? does this mean that rick santorum can request that googling his last name stops leading to a page explaining the frothy mix of lube and poo poo that results from anal sex? i hope not

this really seems like a goddamn legal nightmare imo and i dunno how the heck they plan on implementing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

paging rcman to GBS, rcman to GBS

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

baw posted:

so like, anyone can request that personal information about them be deleted from search results? does this mean that rick santorum can request that googling his last name stops leading to a page explaining the frothy mix of lube and poo poo that results from anal sex? i hope not

this really seems like a goddamn legal nightmare imo and i dunno how the heck they plan on implementing it

no, only people that no one knows can have their search results deleted. if you are "worthy" of being wikipediafied then you can't have your search results deleted.

baw
Nov 5, 2008
RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

deleting rick santorum's wikipedia page att

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

I don't get it. The information is on the web. Google just indexes it. Shouldn't the person/court force the originating web site to remove it?

If I was Mr. Google, I'd talk (secretly) to Mr. Bing, and Mr. Yahoo, and agree to gently caress the EU. Only show search results to paid advertisers sites. If other sites want to be indexed, they can also pay a fee. That way they can afford all the take downs.

Just put a notice on the front page, telling users to blame the EU for their lovely search results.

jackyl
Jun 1, 2000

europe has a long history of implementing idiotic laws in the name of improving privacy (or privissy as they pronounce it in their silly english dialect)

this is just another one

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

I LOVE TO TROLL GBS

PowerBuilder3 posted:

I don't get it. The information is on the web. Google just indexes it. Shouldn't the person/court force the originating web site to remove it?

That was pretty much exactly what Google said, and the court didn't really understand that Google is a search engine, not the owner of all the websites ever. So now Google has to either figure out a way to block some search results from appearing or, and this is more likely, completely ignore the ruling as if Google doesn't remove the results then "relevant authorities" have to take responsibility.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

copyright holders already get google to delete results that are just links to filez though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

yup and in Germany Google erases individual houses from street view if the owners request it.

Which is also why only a very few major German cities are available in Street View, because Google at some point said: "Well, gently caress you too, if you're gonna be assholes about this, no further street view for the rest of your cities, go die in a hole, Germany."