Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Could you toss that to me, too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
yes. Anyone else?

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

Apparently the Gencon 13th Age events sold out in 30 minutes!

Word is more will be added soon.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

I sent an email and got it actually. Can I post it here or not?

Yeah, if you have the Owlbear feat text for the druid that was accidentally left out of the playtest doc, you can post it here.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

waderockett posted:

Yeah, if you have the Owlbear feat text for the druid that was accidentally left out of the playtest doc, you can post it here.

Oh well poo poo that's way easier. Here it is;

At the moment it reads like so:

Adventurer Feat: When you score a critical hit, you heal hit points equal to your level + your Wisdom modifier (5th level: double your Wisdom modifier; 8th level: three times your Wisdom modifier).

--Rob H

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Earthorn posted:

YES. My nightmare was that everyone would be so excited for 5e that we'd schedule all these games and then struggle to fill them. This is amazing.

We also have these seminars:

13th Age Adventure Design (panelists TBD)

13th Age GM Roundtable (at the moment Rob, Mike Shea and me)

13th Age: Year One (the state-of-the-game panel with Rob, Simon, me and whoever else we can rustle up)

13th Age Monster Workshop (panelists TBD)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

waderockett posted:

YES. My nightmare was that everyone would be so excited for 5e that we'd schedule all these games and then struggle to fill them. This is amazing.

Wait, who is EXCITED for 5E? Are there such broken people?

Dec 26, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Monk still seems to be a damage class that does ok-ish damage and a melee class that has eh defense and thus falls behind most of the other melee classes.

Like, it's still d6 -> d8 -> d10 and AC 12 -> 13 -> 14 (compared to fighter who does straight d10 at AC15 all the time, or barbarian who has AC12 but does d10+d6 per level, or rogue who has likewise as AC12 but is doing d8+d6e) as it goes through it's forms, and the actual form abilities tend to be eh ("one baddy pops free!" compared to Fighter's "Eh, just attack dude dudes, like half the time, you know, with your d10"). I guess in theory it makes up for this with it's ~*~cool monk special abilities~*~ but those abilities tend to pale in comparison to the aforementioned rogue who's also doing more damage.

I genuinely don't understand why you're representing the class in such a baldly disingenuous way.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

01011001 posted:

I genuinely don't understand why you're representing the class in such a baldly disingenuous way.

this is what's getting me too.

When I played a monk I had a ton of fun and didn't feel left behind at all. I kept saying it but everyone seemed to ignore me so I kind of stopped. Monk has a bunch of stuff that means this isn't really fair. I mean a Monk with one feat in Flurry gets essentially two attacks per turn for free.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

waderockett posted:

13th Age: Year One (the state-of-the-game panel with Rob, Simon, me and whoever else we can rustle up)

Please, for the love of all this holy, record these and put them online.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Wait, who is EXCITED for 5E? Are there such broken people?

I am INTERESTED in knowing more about it, but that's about it.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Stallion Cabana posted:

this is what's getting me too.

When I played a monk I had a ton of fun and didn't feel left behind at all. I kept saying it but everyone seemed to ignore me so I kind of stopped. Monk has a bunch of stuff that means this isn't really fair. I mean a Monk with one feat in Flurry gets essentially two attacks per turn for free.

The problem is that the rogue already does this without spending a feat and can do it from round 1.

e: I didn't think about the fact that Flurry's damage scales faster and doesn't depend on positioning, though. It really is kind of hard to find problems with it besides the half-fixed MAD thing.

Hashtag Yoloswag fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 19, 2014

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Earthorn posted:

Event registration for Origins begins Monday at noon (Eastern). There are a bunch of 13th Age games there. I'm definitely going to try to hit one up.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Well the new classes are so interesting that I changed my mind, instead of the Centaur Diablo 2 style Paladin I was going to play for the Theros 13th Age game I am instead going to make a Returned (a type of undead for the Theros setting) Necromancer.

HomegrownHydra
Feb 25, 2013
What is the Suggest a Spot Illustration update on the Kickstarter?

spider bethlehem
Oct 5, 2007
Makin with the stabbins
So many d20 games struggle with describing a monk. I really like the idea of a hard to hit, flurry-of-attacks class that lacks in damage but you'd better not ignore him or he'll pull some kind of jackie chan poo poo on you and now you're wearing a ladder as a necktie or are flat on your rear end with the fighter coming at you with a certain stabulous look in his eye.

I'm glad to hear the 13th Age one is more fun though. I'm thinking about moving a PF game to 13th Age, and people always complain about a lack of options in 13th. (These people are spergs, but they're -my- spergs.). I'll have to check it out.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Doublehex posted:

Please, for the love of all this holy, record these and put them online.

That actually is being looked into. And I know there are more 13th Age games to be added to GenCon.

That being said - we can still use more GM's for 13th Age at GenCon! Email or PM me and I'll get you into the system.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Followup - some notes on the Vault.

Apparently when I did security updates on Joomla earlier this month it changed something the template I was using needed - now you can't edit things while using that template.

So I'm trying to come up with a new template for the site without breaking the readability of what is there. So if you see anything odd over the next few days - that is probably me trying to get a new theme/template up.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Kenderama posted:

That actually is being looked into. And I know there are more 13th Age games to be added to GenCon.

That being said - we can still use more GM's for 13th Age at GenCon! Email or PM me and I'll get you into the system.

I'll do it!

If you'll play for my airfare and hotel.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications

waderockett posted:

Grrr. I REALLY need to figure out how to get to GenCon. Especially since they axed the Escapist Expo this year and I couldn't make PAX East.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Doublehex posted:

I'll do it!

If you'll play for my airfare and hotel.

Get enough hours and we'll do your badge. :)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
To the bestiary preorders, the playtest is up.

Dec 26, 2012

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

The problem is that the rogue already does this without spending a feat and can do it from round 1.

e: I didn't think about the fact that Flurry's damage scales faster and doesn't depend on positioning, though. It really is kind of hard to find problems with it besides the half-fixed MAD thing.

The better comparison to sneak attack would be greeting fist, which gives extra damage that scales better than even improved sneak attack and can be doubled if you blow 1 ki on it.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

01011001 posted:

Because one of the major issues with the class before Tweet started screwing around with was the fact that the damage scaling seemed comparatively wonky and ramps up way too slowly for this style of game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

To the bestiary preorders, the playtest is up.
If you're still on the fence about this book...two words: Symbiotic Items. :getin:

e: Two more words: Gelatinous Dodecahedron :allears:

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 19, 2014

HomegrownHydra
Feb 25, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

If you're still on the fence about this book...two words: Symbiotic Items. :getin:

I was sold with "bad word".

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

There's some stuff in it that I'm pretty iffy on (the fact that pulling a Perseus against basilisks gives you -2 for the benefit of rolling one more death save seems kind of arbitrarily punishing clever, mythic action, for example, and I don't really like a ton of the fluff because I prefer more gray-area Icon stuff) but the monsters themselves are generally pretty interesting!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Took me a little while to realize you were talking about the bestiary.

That has been up for a while, I meant the 13 True Ways playtest material, that bestiary preorders get too, went up today.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

Took me a little while to realize you were talking about the bestiary.

That has been up for a while, I meant the 13 True Ways playtest material, that bestiary preorders get too, went up today.

Did it? I'm looking at my Pelgrane page and it says the True Ways classes were last updated on Feb. 19th. Although I was in the Kickstarter, and didn't order it through the store page, so I technically don't have an order for it.

e: Just so I'm not confusing people more, I'm talking about the Monk/Commander/third one preview.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Did it? I'm looking at my Pelgrane page and it says the True Ways classes were last updated on Feb. 19th. Although I was in the Kickstarter, and didn't order it through the store page, so I technically don't have an order for it.

e: Just so I'm not confusing people more, I'm talking about the Monk/Commander/third one preview.

You should see "Download 13 True Ways Chaos Mage, Necromancer, & Occultist preview as zipped PDFs now." This playtest does not have updated versions of the Monk, Druid, or Commander to my disappointment, but does show off some cool, new classes. .

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

You should see "Download 13 True Ways Chaos Mage, Necromancer, & Occultist preview as zipped PDFs now." This playtest does not have updated versions of the Monk, Druid, or Commander to my disappointment, but does show off some cool, new classes. .
Yeah, I have that Chaos Mage/Necro/Occultist one. I thought people were saying there's a new Monk preview.

Basically I have no idea what everyone's talking about.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, I have that Chaos Mage/Necro/Occultist one. I thought people were saying there's a new Monk preview.

They are talking about the Chaos Mage/Necro/Occultist one. I didn't know that this was only for the new classes so I asked if the monk was changed while waiting on my copy. That is why we're talking about monks and not the new classes.

Also, how does everyone else feel about the "once per level" tags that a few abilities have? Personally, not a fan.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Are the symbiotic items in the Bestiary or the 13tw draft?

Covok
May 27, 2013

-Fish- posted:

Are the symbiotic items in the Bestiary or the 13tw draft?

The bestiary. Under the entry, Chuuls.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Once per Level stuff seems kind of blah to me too. I am not sure I would spend any resources on selecting one, unless it came with something more useful.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The feat to get a free 5 with an icon is definitely underwhelming at once per level.

The 9th level occultist spell that literally allows the player to rewind a noncombat encounter? That poo poo is awesome, and once-per-level feels like the perfect frequency for altering reality to that sort of extent.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, to be fair, as far as I can tell Occultists don't realy have a limited spell selection, so they're just getting that as a bonus - once it's cast, they can use that slot for other 9th level spells without having 'wasted' a spell pick, because of how their flexible spell memorization works.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Here's what's available to playtest:

PACKET 1: Commander, Druid and Monk - last updated in February. Available to people who purchased the 13th Age escalation edition, pre-ordered the Bestiary, and/or who backed 13 True Ways. Rob says we probably have enough feedback on those classes to make necessary changes, so you probably won't see updated versions until 13 True Ways goes on pre-order and the draft-in-progress of the entire book is made available to customers. That will happen when it's ready, but we're aiming for later this month or early June.

PACKET 2: Chaos Mage, Necromancer and Occultist - made available this past Friday to 13 True Ways backers, and to Bestiary pre-order customers today.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Would goons be interested in a 13th Age dataset for PCGen or something similar? I've found that the excel spreadsheet on the Pelgrane site doesn't really meet my needs for having things on the character sheet and prettiness, and hasn't got a bunch of the extra classes (Stalwart etc) in it either.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Would goons be interested in a 13th Age dataset for PCGen or something similar? I've found that the excel spreadsheet on the Pelgrane site doesn't really meet my needs for having things on the character sheet and prettiness, and hasn't got a bunch of the extra classes (Stalwart etc) in it either.

YES. Emphatically so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
I haven't played around with PCGen much for the last few years, but did a bit of customising back when I played 3.5. Last night I started modifying the 4E framework they have to handle 13A. The Barbarian seemed fairly straightforward (although I've just built a skeleton and need to put in feats, more abilities, etc), but the Bard is going to be a lot more complicated. Goon project?