Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

waderockett posted:

Here's what's available to playtest:

PACKET 1: Commander, Druid and Monk - last updated in February. Available to people who purchased the 13th Age escalation edition, pre-ordered the Bestiary, and/or who backed 13 True Ways. Rob says we probably have enough feedback on those classes to make necessary changes, so you probably won't see updated versions until 13 True Ways goes on pre-order and the draft-in-progress of the entire book is made available to customers. That will happen when it's ready, but we're aiming for later this month or early June.

PACKET 2: Chaos Mage, Necromancer and Occultist - made available this past Friday to 13 True Ways backers, and to Bestiary pre-order customers today.

Okay, at least now I know that I'm not missing something. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

I haven't played around with PCGen much for the last few years, but did a bit of customising back when I played 3.5. Last night I started modifying the 4E framework they have to handle 13A. The Barbarian seemed fairly straightforward (although I've just built a skeleton and need to put in feats, more abilities, etc), but the Bard is going to be a lot more complicated. Goon project?

I've never worked with PCGen, but I have prior experience programming. I could help out.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Hey Wade, if you guys are adding more 13th age events at GenCon, do you still need GM's?

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

Ryuujin posted:

Once per Level stuff seems kind of blah to me too. I am not sure I would spend any resources on selecting one, unless it came with something more useful.

Once-per-level is actually a thing I had already implemented on a couple of classes* I'm working on-- and I agree it should be reserved for pretty spectacular effects. Not necessarily an "I win" button (or even the cleric's "you didn't lose" once-per-level resurrection), but something that changes an encounter or possibly the campaign in a cool way.

I've even debated once-per-tier effects, but the way some classes in the latest playtest packet/the game's official designers value certain game elements may mean I change them back to once-per-level.

*Assassin, Brute, Destined, Seelie Knight, Wyrmkin and a couple others are almost ready to go. The "scene-stealing" discussion of the Stalwart I created gave me pause, but in the end I don't really see the point of creating a new game element (like a class) that does what other classes can already do, as long as the overall utility/power of that new element is not out of line with existing ones.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

I haven't played around with PCGen much for the last few years, but did a bit of customising back when I played 3.5. Last night I started modifying the 4E framework they have to handle 13A. The Barbarian seemed fairly straightforward (although I've just built a skeleton and need to put in feats, more abilities, etc), but the Bard is going to be a lot more complicated. Goon project?

I'm not much of a coder but if it's a similar DC as adding to the old offline 4E character builder, I can probably at least fail forward.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

SirFozzie posted:

Hey Wade, if you guys are adding more 13th age events at GenCon, do you still need GM's?

Given the demand we're seeing, more GMs would be fantastic. If you're interested, email Kenderama at kender@gmail.com and Cat at cat@pelgranepress.com and let them know. They'll send you the available slots and a list of adventures you can run.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

RyvenCedrylle posted:

I'm not much of a coder but if it's a similar DC as adding to the old offline 4E character builder, I can probably at least fail forward.

I was thinking about doing this same sorta thing with Hero Lab.. I can't program, but I can data-entry and proofread like crazy!

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Kenderama posted:

I was thinking about doing this same sorta thing with Hero Lab.. I can't program, but I can data-entry and proofread like crazy!

My vote is for PCGen mainly because it's free. Coding for it is relatively simple (I'm not a programmer elsewhere, but the coding documentation is pretty thorough), FWIW.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Earthorn posted:

The "scene-stealing" discussion of the Stalwart I created gave me pause

I wouldn't worry too much about it; the Stalwart seems to have the same power level and plot-altering capability as any spellcaster, and he only seems a little problematic when compared with martial characters because they tend to be a bit behind spellcasters.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Sefer posted:

I wouldn't worry too much about it; the Stalwart seems to have the same power level and plot-altering capability as any spellcaster, and he only seems a little problematic when compared with martial characters because they tend to be a bit behind spellcasters.

This is a very good point, in retrospect I'm gonna have to agree. I hadn't considered this because... well it's a melee class. They're not supposed to be cool.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

-Fish- posted:

This is a very good point, in retrospect I'm gonna have to agree. I hadn't considered this because... well it's a melee class. They're not supposed to be cool.
Ahem, may I refer you to my avatar :colbert:

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Jackard posted:

Ahem, may I refer you to my avatar :colbert:

I'm... not actually familiar with the reference.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Kai Lords from the Lone Wolf series.
Geralt the Witcher is also a good example.
Or the vampire Kain, from the Legacy of Kain series.
Jedi from Star Wars and so on.

All of these protagonists are warriors with mystical powers.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 21, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I was going through monster stats, and I just noticed something...are there no monsters that can heal other ones?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I was going through monster stats, and I just noticed something...are there no monsters that can heal other ones?

Monster healing isn't too big of a deal, as the Druid spell that prevents that mentions.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Just looked through the core and Bestiary and the only healing monsters seem to get is from themselves.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Which is odd, given that there's a mosnter (orc berzerker) that specifically says it can't be healed at a certain point.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Which is odd, given that there's a monster (orc berzerker) that specifically says it can't be healed at a certain point.

Could be future proofing for monsters than can heal other monsters.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Does anybody know anything about the free RPG day packet?

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Number of times our party has escaped from Crusader troops by stealing the vehicle they came to kill us in: 1 2.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So in my Organized Play session tonight, the players got to describe what happens when an army of orcs gets crushed under the feet of a koru behemoth.

One player said that the orcs got crushed so hard, it broke through the ground and pushed them through into long forgotten caverns under the battlefield where the unlucky survivors would wind up being used as training dummies for a colony of wererats, who were training for an upcoming martial tournament for the right to battle the multi-headed Rat King for possession of his crown of thorns.

We had to cut him off there.

Now I gotta write this up because holy poo poo wererat martial arts tournament.

That boy's going to be an amazing GM someday.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications

Covok posted:

Could be future proofing for monsters than can heal other monsters.

My hunch is that you're not going to see an increase in monster healing in the future. I've never seen a rule against it in anything I've been invited to write for, but the general feeling is that there are better options.

First, it's extra trouble for the GM to have to be both adding and subtracting HP values for multiple monsters. Multiples of 10 aren't so bad, but if I have three monsters that took 14, 18 and 23 damage this turn and then healed 10, 12 and 16 each it forces the GM to sort of reverse the way her mind is working for a minute. Second, it doesn't really affect players the way you'd want it to. If you have 65 HP and heal 30, that's a big deal; you have a frame of reference. If my monster heals 30 HP, you don't know how much of its HP value that is. You can reference it to your own damage output and to that effect it sort of feels like a 'screw you' to the player. You did all this work to deal damage and I just reversed it. Nyah nyah. Third and related to that last idea, healing makes fights last longer and long fights are not necessarily challenging or interesting fights. Sometimes they're long and boring. Generally if we're interested in making a monster that 'heals', it's better to have it buff somehow (bonus to hit or damage, some new ability, etc) because it keeps the pacing more regular and keeps the action fresh. Healing often gives you more of the same old same old.

There is currently one monster in the early draft of the next Tales module that actually heals. I may or may not keep it and if I do, it may or may not survive editing.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

moths posted:

Only that it's titled "Make Your Own Luck", and that the proposed cover has a picture of The Diabolist on it.

I'm really curious about it as well, but i guess we won't find out about it for a few more weeks.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Simian_Prime posted:

Only that it's titled "Make Your Own Luck", and that the proposed cover has a picture of The Diabolist on it.

I'm really curious about it as well, but i guess we won't find out about it for a few more weeks.

Written by Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan - which immediately makes it most likely amazing.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Kenderama posted:

Written by Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan - which immediately makes it most likely amazing.

I have no idea who that is.

So here's the deal; the nearest FLGS is 1.5 hours away from me. If anyone is willing to pick me up an extra copy, I will gladly pay for S&H.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Doublehex posted:

I have no idea who that is.

So here's the deal; the nearest FLGS is 1.5 hours away from me. If anyone is willing to pick me up an extra copy, I will gladly pay for S&H.

Ah, sorry. I've read and used some of his stuff before. He's got a great sense of adventure with a bit of humor.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

There'a actually a game store about 45 minutes from my place doing Free RPG Day, although I doubt that I'll be able to get there before all the kits are gone. What level is the adventure, anyway?

Maybe I'll bring some pregens and see if I can run a pick-up game. :buddy:

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

moths posted:

Make Your Own Luck is a prequel to Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan’s upcoming 13th Age adventure Eyes of the Stone Thief, which some of you may have signed on to playtest earlier this year. According to Simon's Page XX column, "the characters must hold out in a town under siege while seeking the enemy within." It's for level 2 characters, and a 6 pregens are included -- plus quick-start rules.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Re: Monsters that heal other monsters, I've made and used one of those. It healed for a relatively small and static amount (especially as the party encountered it unchanged over two levels of play, so the amount of healing was pretty insignificant at the end) and in order to do its healing it had to attack first to steal recoveries from the players (it spending your recoveries on your enemies was the real kicker). The monster itself was pretty fragile, and pretty quick its role in a fight was not to heal but to be a really important target to distract the party from the tough monsters. I might bring that specific monster back when the party fights more undead, but I don't think I'd make another one that does the same things.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
was it some kind of repairing construct?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

It was some sort of ghost servant. I don't think it ever came up exactly how their power worked. In addition to healing, it also did half damage on a miss if it missed by less than the number of recoveries it had stolen.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Well that sounds like a great adventure. I should be running it at my LGS, assuming I can work it out with the Meetup cabal. Pregens and Quickstart Rules are a huge plus, it's like you've learned from the mistakes of other Free RPG Day sponsors.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Built and played a monk. I enjoyed it. The session's fight (only one this time) went on longer than usual, so I got a bunch of uses out of Flurry (also took it's adventurer feat). Flurry feels pretty competitive with sneak attack since as a separate attack it can salvage a round where you miserably fail with your standard attack or be applied to a separate enemy. Plus there's another chance to throw on any static mods/weapon powers.

Due to rolling 3 an unusual number of times, being able to spend ki to get that to 2 and reroll was handy.

Put points in strength over con and chose the powers/talents that let me pop free/get extra movement/disincentivize attacking me and still wound up rather wounded at the end of the fight, so I fiddled with my scores afterwards to get some more survivability.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
What are the generally accepted monk fixes? I figured "highest physical ability score to attack/damage" and maybe "one Deadly Secret for free" would be the obvious ones.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Captain Walker posted:

What are the generally accepted monk fixes? I figured "highest physical ability score to attack/damage" and maybe "one Deadly Secret for free" would be the obvious ones.

Give him exactly what they gave their version of the Druid to fix the same problem there "Use Wis for class features and Pick Dex or Str for attack/damage".

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Give him exactly what they gave their version of the Druid to fix the same problem there "Use Wis for class features and Pick Dex or Str for attack/damage".

Seems reasonable enough.

Also, Seeker 1.0! Comments are enabled! Do so!

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.
In our first session last night, one of my players casually mentioned that someone killed the Orc Lord and that the new one is untested and unready to lead the horde.

I have a good feeling about this campaign!

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Does anybody have any experience with the Warlock from the vault? Wizards as they're portrayed in D&D and 13th Age don't really work with the setting I've been working on for my group, and I'm wondering if the Warlock is pretty well balanced with, say, the Sorceror. Going for a somewhat more low-magic feel, and I like the flavor of pacts.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

FishFood posted:

Does anybody have any experience with the Warlock from the vault? Wizards as they're portrayed in D&D and 13th Age don't really work with the setting I've been working on for my group, and I'm wondering if the Warlock is pretty well balanced with, say, the Sorceror. Going for a somewhat more low-magic feel, and I like the flavor of pacts.

If your goal is low-magic, the warlock isn't going to deliver it; they feel stronger, not weaker than sorcerers, thanks to Curse/Blast Mastery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

CaptainPsyko posted:

If your goal is low-magic, the warlock isn't going to deliver it; they feel stronger, not weaker than sorcerers, thanks to Curse/Blast Mastery.

Would they work alright if I nixed those two talents, or maybe limited them to 1 adventurer feat, 1 champion feat, and 1 epic feat?