Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

DalaranJ posted:

I'm sorry, this is impossibly compelling.

I'm in.

Yeah, I've just been picking out the best material for my weekly Roll20 game and sending feedback on said portions (Looking for a store game, but no luck so far). It really has to be the best organized play I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

So I've been running a game of 13th age for my friends online (my first GM role ever) and it has been going swimmingly so far but something has been hard to wrap my head around and that is the system of movement. Its hard to really put it to numbers when your players insist on thinking in squares and I feel I am not being fair when I eyeball near and far. Can someone give me a good writeup on how to deal with the movement system while playing with a grid?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
For me, everything is nearby unless someone specifically makes it far away (like if I as a GM want threatening artillery, those will start out far away, or if a PC wants to get out of the scrum they can spend two move actions getting far away). Sometimes things are both nearby and far away, like if they're on the other side of a chasm that's too far to jump without effort, then they'd be far away in terms of movement (spending two actions to go around the chasm) but ranged attacks that hit nearby enemies can hit them fine.

Example from Thursday's game:

The two uppermost demons were far away, everything else was nearby.

ZOOP MASTER 50 CAL
Apr 14, 2004

baby hipster pope

Man Whore posted:

So I've been running a game of 13th age for my friends online (my first GM role ever) and it has been going swimmingly so far but something has been hard to wrap my head around and that is the system of movement. Its hard to really put it to numbers when your players insist on thinking in squares and I feel I am not being fair when I eyeball near and far. Can someone give me a good writeup on how to deal with the movement system while playing with a grid?

If you and your players prefer squares, I suggest a system of: 1 square = 5 ft (give or take based on circumstances), nearby (one move action) is 6 squares, far away (two move actions) is 12 squares. Adjust accordingly for features that facilitate/hinder movement. If it starts to feel like getting out of bad situations (for players or enemies) is too easy, try increasing the 6/12 to 8/16.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Man Whore posted:

If you're working with a map that you can draw on, just sketch lines that delineate various 'zones' within the map. Moving within a zone is free/melee range. Between adjacent zones is a single action/nearby for ranged attacks. Two zones apart is far away.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PublicOpinion posted:

For me, everything is nearby unless someone specifically makes it far away (like if I as a GM want threatening artillery, those will start out far away, or if a PC wants to get out of the scrum they can spend two move actions getting far away). Sometimes things are both nearby and far away, like if they're on the other side of a chasm that's too far to jump without effort, then they'd be far away in terms of movement (spending two actions to go around the chasm) but ranged attacks that hit nearby enemies can hit them fine.

Example from Thursday's game:

The two uppermost demons were far away, everything else was nearby.

This map example is awesome - one of the things that my currently-running Spycraft game does right is that unless it's important to the battle (i.e. you start Really Far Away) distances are mostly abstracted, and it helps a ton for online games where the slowness of the medium is a real challenge to getting anything done. I might see if I can convince people to swap to 13A after this campaign ends...

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Podima posted:

This map example is awesome - one of the things that my currently-running Spycraft game does right is that unless it's important to the battle (i.e. you start Really Far Away) distances are mostly abstracted, and it helps a ton for online games where the slowness of the medium is a real challenge to getting anything done. I might see if I can convince people to swap to 13A after this campaign ends...

The first time the dwarf doesn't end his turn 10' away from an enemy, you'll have a convert.

WCL
Dec 26, 2008

NYAAAH-AH-AH!
I'm curious what everyone's play group does with icon dice. I'd like to add a bit of pizazz or try something new with my group, I've already started using the trap idea in my group and it came with positive reception. What can I do to enhance the mechanic?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Depending on if your game is centrally located or not, a PC-scale NPC for each faction could be useful. If your players care about them, they can continue appearing through the campaign (in peril, in disguise, trading favors for the enemy, etc).

They can also represent outstanding competency. "Of course I speak Lizardman...I have a 6 with the Three!"

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Golden Bee posted:

The first time the dwarf doesn't end his turn 10' away from an enemy, you'll have a convert.

Dear God, this.

I ran a demo for some of the people I play PFS with, and they were ecstatic over the combat system. The halflings loved being mobile and when I said "Sure you can get to the bulette and run up it's back!" instead of "I dunno, count squares, and the bulette is difficult terrain..."

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

Alright, my roommate and I got a group together finally, and are currently playing some Pathfinder. My roommate is the GM, and we want to set it up so that we will have two games going, one he GMs, and one that I will GM.

I want to do 13th Age, I have never played it before, but it looks loving awesome, and I really like the way skills seem to be done.

How difficult is it to get a group to understand this game? We have one new guy, and the rest of us have experience with DnD 3.5, and Pathfinder.

I have never GMed before, how difficult would it be for me?

I really don't want to run just a Pathfinder game, or a DnD game, I want to do something different, and this really looks like it will fulfill that desire.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Colt Cannon posted:

Alright, my roommate and I got a group together finally, and are currently playing some Pathfinder. My roommate is the GM, and we want to set it up so that we will have two games going, one he GMs, and one that I will GM.

I want to do 13th Age, I have never played it before, but it looks loving awesome, and I really like the way skills seem to be done.

How difficult is it to get a group to understand this game? We have one new guy, and the rest of us have experience with DnD 3.5, and Pathfinder.

I have never GMed before, how difficult would it be for me?

I really don't want to run just a Pathfinder game, or a DnD game, I want to do something different, and this really looks like it will fulfill that desire.

Pretty easy, so long as you can get people to buy into the improv-centric spirit of the game. If anyone in your group has ever taken an Improv class, just tell them that the core principle in 13th Age is "Yes, And..." and that if they can justify what they're doing base on their character sheet and the situation, it'll probably work - or at least be interesting.

The toughest part of playing 13th Age with folks who are super used to 3.5/Pathfinder is that they immediately jump to thinking that the game will fall apart when they set their backgrounds to +5 Batman and fail to really grok the collaborative world building spirit that's inherent in the game. If you can get them to bring their heads around that, the nuts and bolts dice mechanics will be super familiar to them, while discarding all the annoying poo poo that everybody hated anyway. (:argh: Grapple Rules!)

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

How does grappling work then? I guess I need to just buy the drat book and read it.

Also how exactly do the skills work? Like you said +5 Batman, what would that even mean? They get +5 to Disguise, Climb, Knowledge (science?), Stealth, Intimidate, and what else? Is there a limit to what all a background can cover?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Colt Cannon posted:

Also how exactly do the skills work? Like you said +5 Batman, what would that even mean? They get +5 to Disguise, Climb, Knowledge (science?), Stealth, Intimidate, and what else? Is there a limit to what all a background can cover?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473530&pagenumber=119&perpage=40#post420375158

Backgrounds provide whatever you can justify them providing. This is less of a big deal than a Pathfinder player tends to think it is.

Grappling rules are basically nonexistent:

quote:

Grabbed
Some monsters grab you. Generally they grab you after a successful hit. Most monsters can only grab one creature at a time, but there are exceptions. A creature can let go of a creature it is grabbing as a free action.
Individual monsters may add extra effects to their grab, but here are the basics: when you’re grabbed you are engaged with the creature grabbing you and you can’t move away unless you teleport, somehow pop free first, or successfully disengage. Unfortunately, your disengage checks take a –5 penalty unless you hit the creature that is grabbing you the same turn that you’re trying to disengage. In other words, when you attack a creature grabbing you, it’s easier to get away from it.
If you are smaller than the creature that is grabbing you, it can move and carry you along with no problem. If you are the same size or larger, it has to let go of you if it wants to move.
Grabbed creatures can’t make opportunity attacks. That also applies if the creature grabbing you decides to let go and move away from you; it doesn’t have to disengage or take an opportunity attack from you, it just leaves you behind.
Grabbed creatures can’t use ranged attacks, although melee and close attacks are fine.
The creature grabbing you generally gets a +4 attack bonus against you, so you’ll want to get away unless you’re super macho

We don’t like using grabs unless it’s the core of what a monster is about, and even then we may opt for different attacks that accomplish something similar. Don’t feel any obligation to allow anyone to make grabs, and don’t use these rules for just any old attempt to hold on to someone. These rules cover serious claw- and tentacle- and pincer-aided holds for monsters that are big enough to pick people up. The rules are more interesting when they are an exception, something that makes some big monsters scary, rather than rules you have to worry about whenever you fight an ogre.
Puny grabs: We don’t want general grappling rules. If you decide to allow normal PCs and monsters to grab hold of people, try something like this: their puny grabs are like real grabs but they don’t prevent opportunity attacks, don’t provide an attack bonus, and only apply a –2 disengage check penalty.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 11, 2014

ZOOP MASTER 50 CAL
Apr 14, 2004

baby hipster pope

Colt Cannon posted:

Like you said +5 Batman, what would that even mean? They get +5 to Disguise, Climb, Knowledge (science?), Stealth, Intimidate, and what else?

To better understand 13A, un-ask the second question. Cast out "disguise check" and its ilk from your mind. If a character has a background of "+5 Batman", the question to ask is: "is the action I am attempting something that Batman would be good at by virtue of the practice or experience of being Batman?"

As for the third question: in extreme cases, apply limitations when the non-existence of a limitation is an impediment to funhaving. In some playgroups, this is considered an act of war. This should be treated as a last resort after peaceful negotiations have failed.

Definitely read what Mystic Mongol wrote about being Batman in 13A

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

Alright, thanks. I went ahead and ordered the drat book. Kind of excited to read through it.

It honestly seems pretty loving awesome the way that everything allows for more storytelling.

I really hope that it can pick up a good head of steam, and I don't start a campaign in a game that dies out in a month or two.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications

Colt Cannon posted:

How does grappling work then? I guess I need to just buy the drat book and read it.

We have grapple rules in our group that mostly amount to "make a basic attack vs PD using Strength to grapple. First check applies grabbed, second applies grabbed and stunned, third goes to grabbed, stunned and helpless. Escape and disengage by rolling a hard save, reverse on a 20." We use them maybe once every few months, but they do the job well when we need them.

Working on PDFs for the remaining two classes by Fish and myself - Eldcaller and Theurge. (MIGHT do Martial Artist. Maybe.) After that, taking requests. Any Goon classes y'all want formatted all purdy?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I playtested seeker and it's not quite balanced yet, but when it is I will ask for that to get the PDF treatment.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I got to see the Chaos Mage in action last night.

Man, there better be an app or something for it at some point because that's a lot of rolling and cross-referencing you gotta do each round.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
It is one of a number of classes I want to try the next time a 13th Age recruit goes up. So many things to try, not nearly enough 13th Age games.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Ryuujin posted:

It is one of a number of classes I want to try the next time a 13th Age recruit goes up. So many things to try, not nearly enough 13th Age games.

I'm waiting for a game to open up, too. It looks incredibly fun, but I'm tired of having to be the GM for every game I want to play.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

For "Tower of the Ogre Mage", I let everyone use playtest classes since it was a two-week thing and not everyone was going to be able to show up. We had a Commander and a Monk too.

(Commanders own)

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Our new campaign that's starting up looks like it's going to have a necromancer, druid, bard, and occultist. Will give trip reports as we proceed.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Are the playtest versions of the new classes only for backers? I haven't been following 13th Age in a while.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Spincut posted:

Are the playtest versions of the new classes only for backers? I haven't been following 13th Age in a while.

preordering the Bestiary or True Ways also works

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Twibbit posted:

preordering the Bestiary or True Ways also works

Gotcha, thanks.

How are they? Is the Monk improved at all?

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Spincut posted:

Gotcha, thanks.

I'm DMing a game with a monk and he seems to have a good time with it, though we're still low level. They still have those weird legacy mechanics, but it works in spite of them.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Spincut posted:

Gotcha, thanks.

The monk is better in play than it looks on paper if my last game is any indicator.

Round 1 - Minor damage
Round 2 - Moderate damage
Round 3 - Kills there mobs.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

So I woke up to find EN World flooded with D&D preview images, and I was bummed because I wished we had something to show. Then Simon Tweeted layout pages from the commander and chaos mage:

I'll have to see it in print, but the chaos mage may be one of my favorite illustrations from the game. SHE'S LITERALLY EXPLODING WITH CRAZY.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

I thought that illustration looked spectacular - and then realised I wasn't in the D&D Next thread.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
Man, I super love all of the art in 13th Age books. Like, the Bestiary is so much fun to just flip through looking at all the pretty pictures, so I'm glad 13 TW is keeping this going.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"7th Age Re-enactor" for Chaos Mage background is now my new favorite thing.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

LordPants posted:

"7th Age Re-enactor" for Chaos Mage background is now my new favorite thing.

Amazing.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
I'm also in love with "no longer frustrated librarian"

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Esoteric backgrounds are my favorite thing about this game.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

On the heels of an impromptu Twitter dustup between me, @13thAge and the Dungeon Bastard, we're offering 13th Age at $13 today at DriveThruRPG: http://www.dtrpg.com/browse.php?discount=9300c67d68. This discount expires on the 14th.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

waderockett posted:

On the heels of an impromptu Twitter dustup between me, @13thAge and the Dungeon Bastard, we're offering 13th Age at $13 today at DriveThruRPG: http://www.dtrpg.com/browse.php?discount=9300c67d68. This discount expires on the 14th.

Which color hat of shame are you wearing?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

waderockett posted:

Dangit! I already got one! I missed out on a pretty good deal, there.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Which color hat of shame are you wearing?

Sadly, Simon only gave me one hour to redeem myself with a video so I didn't have time to get the hat of shame. I think I'd have gone with red, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Are Bestiary preorders arriving for folks? I think they were shipping around now.