Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Loki_XLII posted:

I was more thinking about the two-weapon attacking talent, anyway, but is there anything stopping somebody from dual wielding hand crossbows?

A bad GM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Rannos22 posted:

Out of curiosity, what would you be dual wielding to get the two-weapon attack rules with ranged weapons?

Slings?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Rannos22 posted:

A bad GM?

It'd have to be a bad GM because dual wielding hand crossbows is what life is all about

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Loki_XLII posted:

I was more thinking about the two-weapon attacking talent, anyway, but is there anything stopping somebody from dual wielding hand crossbows?

Losing a round to reload? :)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Who even reloads. We did that poo poo for you

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Kenderama posted:

Reloading is for suckers.

Dec 26, 2012

Kenderama posted:

Reloading is dumb as hell.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Obviously you need four wrist crossbows, two on each wrist. Add four on your legs to be totally extreme, though, flipping and firing bolts everywhere.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
OUT: have crossbows for joints.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Obviously you need four wrist crossbows, two on each wrist. Add four on your legs to be totally extreme, though, flipping and firing bolts everywhere.

Welcome to MY 13th Age! Get ready!

e: vvv :smuggo:

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 17, 2014

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Bayonetta with crossbows would be a legit archetype.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Just be careful when shaking hands or giving pats on the shoulder. In fact, you may end up too extreme for personal contact at all if you're not careful, but if you play it right you can work that into a a tortured hero gimmick.

"I'm just a little tense... a little too high strung for that sort of thing... ready to go off at any moment..."

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Just be careful when shaking hands or giving pats on the shoulder. In fact, you may end up too extreme for personal contact at all if you're not careful, but if you play it right you can work that into a a tortured hero gimmick.

"I'm just a little tense... a little too high strung for that sort of thing... ready to go off at any moment..."

Failing forward: when you try to make a good first impression on someone, you shake their hand, flub your Charisma check and accidentally shoot them dead.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
do i have one unique thing? hmm let me think
* Have 750 bolts on me at any time
* Parents were both Sammy G (long story)
* brought a quiver to school every day
* Have the word "crossbow" instead of a mouth

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

fosborb posted:

I'm vulnerable to Holy Damage. They know this.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Anyone use the Dicenomicon iOS app? I love it but it doesn't have built-in 13A sheet integration. Does anyone know where I'd find an XML sheet that works for the game? Alternatively, what iOS/digital stuff do you guys use for running the game?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I've been using the premium Combat Assistant app for Android since my third session. It was designed for 4E but you can rename values and change the layout

Before that I was using "folded info cards along top of gm screen" for tracking initiative.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 22, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Also the encounter builder "Manticore" was recently posted to 13A Google+ community, should help speed things up along with my CA database

http://manticore.brehaut.net

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

fosborb posted:

OUT: More crossbow than man.

Dec 26, 2012

I'd posted a rough draft of this in the Imp Zone tradgames thread about a month ago but I'm done poking at it for now so I don't mind posting the newest version here.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3wqw8dryjjndywq/13a_druid_10-24.pdf

This is my attempt at a druid renovation. My goal with this was to back up my claim in that thread that they could have easily patterned the druid after the bard instead of the confusing mess we got, and then my personal tweaks brought it quite a bit further - but even so, this isn't so much a wild reimagining as it is an attempt to grant the class some kind of mechanical cohesion. Let me know if you see anything weird or if the formatting screwed up, with as long as it is and with as many powers as the druid is packing (I didn't completely cut any unless they were redundant or lazy, and those I did cut I replaced) it's more than possible I missed something.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
By some weird coincidence I was just looking at the druid class today with a "this can't be as bad as everyone says it is" kind of attitude. Unfortunately I was right, it's much worse than that. I don't think there's any other class that makes character creation as confusing as the druid. Maybe the monk I haven't looked at that one yet so I can't be sure.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Rannos22 posted:

By some weird coincidence I was just looking at the druid class today with a "this can't be as bad as everyone says it is" kind of attitude. Unfortunately I was right, it's much worse than that. I don't think there's any other class that makes character creation as confusing as the druid. Maybe the monk I haven't looked at that one yet so I can't be sure.

Nah the monk is dead simple because there is exactly one build that is effective statswise and forms are just picking maneuvers in sets of 3.

Dec 26, 2012

Rannos22 posted:

The only really confusing part about the druid is that it gives you the impression that you can get away with diversifying because you have both casting stuff and noncasting stuff, and that is absolutely not the case. Also focusing your stuff will still leave you with a mess of a character, sporting either a gimped spell list or stats that you'd not ever want to throw into an engaged situation despite that being your theoretical MO.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
The only druid I've ever heard/seen anyone play is shifter adept warrior initiate. I'm pretty sure there's a reason for that.

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

01011001 posted:

The only really confusing part about the druid is that it gives you the impression that you can get away with diversifying because you have both casting stuff and noncasting stuff, and that is absolutely not the case. Also focusing your stuff will still leave you with a mess of a character, sporting either a gimped spell list or stats that you'd not ever want to throw into an engaged situation despite that being your theoretical MO.

Two simple house rules I came up with are to either give the druid the occultists 4/5/6 talent progression (this is what the caster druid in our just-hit-level-7 group is doing) or to bump the druid's base ac to 12 and hp to 7 (as it was in the playtest and is with the druid redo 01011001 posted above). The second option seems like it would be good for shifter/warrior druids.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I don't understand how the druid could make it into print

Dec 26, 2012

Earthorn posted:

Two simple house rules I came up with are to either give the druid the occultists 4/5/6 talent progression (this is what the caster druid in our just-hit-level-7 group is doing) or to bump the druid's base ac to 12 and hp to 7 (as it was in the playtest and is with the druid redo 01011001 posted above). The second option seems like it would be good for shifter/warrior druids.

I ended up bumping AC/HP because I wanted them to be more on the bard side of things - able to specialize in casting or fighting, but the other doesn't suffer for it.

I'm not a fan of the more-talents solution because a) an adept/adept terrain/elemental caster has as many spells at level 5 as most casting classes have at level 10 and b) druid doesn't have many talents so most druids are going to end up shelved into like two or three viable archetypes. I'm also not a huge fan of occultist loading up on 2/3 of its talent list, though, so take that with a grain of salt I guess.

Jackard posted:

I don't understand how the druid could make it into print

The editor fell asleep before finishing the entirely-too-long class entry.

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

01011001 posted:

I'm not a fan of the more-talents solution because a) an adept/adept terrain/elemental caster has as many spells at level 5 as most casting classes have at level 10 and b) druid doesn't have many talents so most druids are going to end up shelved into like two or three viable archetypes. I'm also not a huge fan of occultist loading up on 2/3 of its talent list, though, so take that with a grain of salt I guess.

I guess I'm okay with a druid that has many more spells than, say, a wizard. A wizard also has three talents in addition to their spells, plus cantrips and ritual casting. A character possessing most of the possible talents from it's class is always a problem, though, as you said.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
On the subject of druidity, I reworked a couple talents for the Seeker (this is the link everyone click it) so if you're not content being a souped-up ranger, you can now take certain initiate Druid talents, with an option to power up your poo poo to adept using a daily resource. It's not to the answer to the woes of the caster or warrior Druid builds (the answer is "play another class") but I'd wager it's good for people who just want to play a nature person.

When I'm completely certain this class is balanced and good I'll move on to the Binder. I actually wrote Initiate of the Old Faith for a player in my home game so hopefully it goes over well.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
How's multiclassing in this game? I noticed 13th Ways included it, is it as busted as the one in 4th?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Azran posted:

How's multiclassing in this game? I noticed 13th Ways included it, is it as busted as the one in 4th?
It works like a slightly worst version of hybridizing from 4e.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Azran posted:

In all honesty, I've found multiclassing to be pretty fun, and despite a few hiccups, it adds a lot of character options to classes that needed it.

That said, there are some problems. They were... unkind to the monk. But I have a pretty successful Cleric/Paladin in my game (which, I'll admit, is a little min-max-y), and I've seen some use from a Necromancer Cleric and a Sorcerer/Monk.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I had fun with a Bard/Rogue in a one-shot. There's a Cleric/Commander, Druid/Sorc, and Barbarian/Chaos Mage in my campaign and nobody seems to fall off either end of the acceptable effectiveness scale.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

PublicOpinion posted:

and Barbarian/Chaos Mage

Oh man. Now I definitely want to play that.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Multiclassing isn't particularly great as a whole, but it generally won't completely cripple you if you're focused on trying to do something specific, and there's a handful of combinations that just work out beautifully, like a Bard/Ranger that can cast Wizard, Cleric, and Sorcerer spells.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
From a purely theoretic point of view, I'm kind of fond of the Rogue/Wizard. Wizards are proficient with light armor, they just gain no bonus for wearing it, so it mixes nicely with the Rogue, one of the Rogue talents lets you ignore Charisma in favor of Dex/Int, and the combo really comes together at Champion tier when you can start sneak attacking enemies with various status debuffs, which most of your spells give out.

Even the damage die hit isn't all that bad on the Rogue side, because Rogues already deal 1d8 damage with daggers. Combine that with the dagger from 13 True Ways that works as an implement as well and you're set.

Dec 26, 2012

Multiclassing works fine as long as you keep in mind that there aren't going to be many setups where active abilities really synergize in the sense of working at the same time, barring basic stuff like defenses. It's fantastic for stretching out two pools of abilities and giving more options, and like with rogue/wizard above sometimes there are situations where it can set things up for itself where it would otherwise need another PC to get rolling.

Luczak
Mar 1, 2011

Azran posted:

How's multiclassing in this game?

CaptainPsyko posted:

a handful of combinations that just work out beautifully

Like the Paladin/Wizard who only knows one spell: "Suplex".

Paladin's Challenge gives a penalty to disengage checks, which makes a check to escape your grab a disengage at -9 if the thing you're grabbing doesn't hit you that round. Take as many utility slots as you can at Level 3 or higher, and assign them all to Levitate for extra height.

Multi-classing is decent: it won't always get good (or even effective) results, but the results will often be worth talking about at your table.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I'm a fan of Commander/Ranger, and taking two weapon fighting and the flexible feat that allows you to use it with your other class basic melee. Rack up huge amounts of command points using fight on the front, as the wording is "when you hit with a commander attack," meaning you can be getting 2d3 each turn if you hit with both swings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Two Weapon Fighting and Double Melee Attack are different talents. At base two weapon fighting just gives you a +1 attack bonus when dual wielding, and then the feats give you doubled miss damage, opportunity attacks when enemies roll natural 1's on you and then triple miss damage one encounter a day.

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 28, 2014