Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

bewilderment posted:

So, uh, I'm looking at some of these free organised play adventures. Some of these have upwards of 10 mooks in a fight.
Am I seriously being asked to say "Hang on guys" to my players as I roll 15 attack rolls (you never know, my players might all lose initiative) and then say "Well, uh, you take a total of 10 damage?"
I could always have those mooks all 'take 10' but that seems somehow unfair, even if it is just an average of what would happen anyway.
I don't know if the game actually says this or not but no don't run them all at the same initiative. Split them up into a quite a few groups.
EDIT:
Its also not just in organized play. I can think of one combat encounter which RAW can start off with 10 mooks and 2 monsters.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Someone asked the same question a few days ago on twitter, the reply chain has a few possibilities: https://twitter.com/ikksnay/status/629332383024570368

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

bewilderment posted:

So, uh, I'm looking at some of these free organised play adventures. Some of these have upwards of 10 mooks in a fight.
Am I seriously being asked to say "Hang on guys" to my players as I roll 15 attack rolls (you never know, my players might all lose initiative) and then say "Well, uh, you take a total of 10 damage?"
I could always have those mooks all 'take 10' but that seems somehow unfair, even if it is just an average of what would happen anyway.

Chunk them into squads of five. Buy five d20s and roll them all at once.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Played this game for the first time. Made a ranger real quick. I feel like all the class features and feats are just +modifier to attack or whatever. Pretty boring mechanics. Maybe other classes are different but that's just my first impressions.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

KyloWinter posted:

Played this game for the first time. Made a ranger real quick. I feel like all the class features and feats are just +modifier to attack or whatever. Pretty boring mechanics. Maybe other classes are different but that's just my first impressions.

The Ranger is by far the simplest class to play. Complexity doesn't go anywhere but up from that point.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
13A Ranger is intentionally one of the most boring classes for idiotic reasons, and a great disappointment after the 4E Ranger.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

bewilderment posted:

I just keep them in bunches of 5 or less, and roll a bunch of d20s at once. It's worked for me.

e: oh hey new page.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bewilderment posted:

Whenever a group of identical creatures make attack rolls, make a single roll as normal. Divide the creatures into three roughly equal groups. One group rolls this number, one group rolls this with a +5 bonus, and one group rolls this with -5 penalty.

So if you have 9 mooks, make a single d20 roll. It comes up as a 13.

Check if a 13 will hit, if an 18 will hit, and if an 8 will hit. Deal damage of three mooks (the nine mooks split into 3 equal groups) for each of those results.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's always odd to me to see games that have mook rules but no way to speed up the resolution of dozens of mooks attacking. Like, I don't like 7th Sea, but that was one of the few places it did right: A mook squad just had a single to-hit roll adjusted by how many of them are still alive and did damage based on how much they beat your passive defense by if they hit, symbolizing X number of mooks getting in light blows and superficial wounds.

I could see that working for 13A: The mooks don't do very much damage per 'hit', but get a bonus to hit your defense based on their numbers and overspill on the to-hit marginally increases damage, perhaps? So that you only need one roll per swarm?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Would using 4E 'Aid Another' rule be appropriate for mooks?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Jackard posted:

13A Ranger is intentionally one of the most boring classes for idiotic reasons, and a great disappointment after the 4E Ranger.
Wait what did the 4E ranger get that was fairly interesting and unique?
EDIT:
Not asking this to be combative its just Im working on a project to actually fix the martial classes and well there are a lot of ways I can go with the Ranger.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I remember him being very movement based and had interrupts / quick attacks to represent his dual wielding

A skirmisher/swashbuckler, really

Jackard fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 12, 2015

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Jackard posted:

I remember him being very movement based and had interrupts / quick attacks to represent his dual wielding

It also got the most attacks. I've heard it described as "the anime swordsman" class.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Yea it was p. amazing + fun

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Has there been any word on The Battle of Axis or further Organised Play adventures?

Battle of Axis was mentioned on a May 27th blog post but isn't in the Google Doc yet. Further Organised Play stuff is supposed to be a part of 13th Age monthly. Earthgouger was the July release, but I get the feeling it stands alone (well, it goes with The Strangling Sea) since it's a shorter adventure, and that it's not a part of OP.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 13, 2015

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

bewilderment posted:

Has there been any word on The Battle of Axis or further Organised Play adventures?

Battle of Axis was mentioned on a May 27th blog post but isn't in the Google Doc yet. Further Organised Play stuff is supposed to be a part of 13th Age monthly. Earthgouger was the July release, but I get the feeling it stands alone (well, it goes with The Strangling Sea) since it's a shorter adventure, and that it's not a part of OP.

Battle of Axis is out (and has been since Jul 25th) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByPD5dY-fSR1dVZDd2JxSVVCV2M/view?usp=sharing

No news on the next season beyond the fact it will be part of the Monthly.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I posted my copies of 13 True Ways, the Bestiary, and Book of Loot on SA Mart.

Mentioning it here in case anyone is interested in hard copies.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736486

[I can delete this post if it doesn't belong ITT.]

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jackard posted:

A skirmisher/swashbuckler, really

4E ranger is a multi-attack DPR lord who sort of occupies the space between warlock and rogue, good mobility, light control, and the best DPR at-will in the game because of the way it interacts with items. (Two attacks without your ability mod to damage is still two chances to crit and two chances to stack on all your item bonuses to damage. Then you select one of the many choices ranger has for minor action attacks and there you go).

I haven't done 13A ranger yet but it's good if they didn't hide its king-tier damage status behind unintentional design (several ranger powers were ridiculous out of the box before patches) and item selection mastery. Frostcheese ranger is the benchmark for all damage builds in 4E and, well, pretty boring. That's not to say 4E ranger is therefore terrible but it's not too elegant.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
The thing is that the ranger doesn't actually do that much damage. It gets an extra attack 50% of the time and it crits a lot, but it gets 0 other ways to boost its damage except for a couple of once per battle 3x crits in epic, and it's boring because all you've got is your basic attack unless you take Animal Companion, which sucked until the TW rework and still sort of keeps you from reaching your damage potential, or one of the spellcasting talents which take the precious feats you need to be a good critfisher. There's also the Tracker talent which gives you a 1/battle (if you're lucky and don't roll a 4, 5 or 6 which will almost never come up on the E. Die) "I do this thing and you can't stop me" power which is fun but not really enough

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tonight I'm running the last session of Battle of Axis, except that I've been adjusting the adventure because I let everyone hit level 10 for this one (they've been playing this since the Orc War adventures, they've earned the right to play with the best toys). I redid the last fight to make it a bit more of an epic finale so I'm rewriting the last fight to be against a giant, comet-infused Lord Vicitrocious. It's a fight-his-head-and-hands style battle, but I was hoping people could look at my write-up and see if this seems like too much for five 10th level PCs, one of whom is a sorcerer with Meteor Strike.

quote:

Prince Vicitrocious - ESCALATOR
13th level double-strength troop [UNDEAD]
Initiative: +20

Monstrous Bite +21+ESC vs. PD (1d3 engaged enemies) - 25 ongoing negative energy damage
Natural 11+, but only once per adventurer: The target is also weakened until the end of its next turn (–4 attacks and defenses). In addition, the target expends one unused limited trait (a spell, power, or talent with a once-per-battle or daily use, but not magic item powers) of its choice.

Ancient Mutterings +18+ESC vs. MD (1d3 nearby or faraway enemies) - 100 psychic damage and 10 ongoing negative energy damage
Natural attack roll greater than Wisdom: The target is affected by Fear regardless of their current HP (save ends).
Natural 16+: The target is dazed.

Life drinker: When a nearby enemy or ally takes damage Prince Vicitrocious heals 2d10 hp, even if he is at 0 hp or fewer. If the prince takes holy damage this shuts down his life-drinker ability until the start of his next turn.

C: Vampiric compulsion +21 (NOT +ESC) vs. MD (one enemy; see below) - the target is confused and vulnerable (save ends)
Limited use: The vampire can use vampiric compulsion as a free action only when a nearby enemy attacks the vampire itself and misses with a natural attack roll of 1–5.

AC 24 / PD 29 / MD 29
HP 864

Left Hand of Darkness
12th level blocker [UNDEAD]
Grasping Darkness +18 vs. AC - 30 negative energy damage
Natural 11+: The target is also grabbed. Only one target can be grabbed at a time.

Siphon +18 vs. PD (one target grabbed by Grasping Darkness) - 50 negative enegy damage, and one enemy heals 20 hp.

Huge sweeping arms: The hands can move away without having to make disengage checks or provoking.

AC 25 / PD 27 / MD 21
HP 388

Right Hand of Doom
12th level caster [UNDEAD]

Smash +16 vs AC - 70 damage
Natural attack roll over Dexterity: All engaged targets are pinned (stuck), hard save ends.

Pound Into The Dirt +18 vs AC (all engaged enemies) - 70 damage

Huge sweeping arms: The hands can move away without having to make disengage checks or provoking.

AC 21 / PD 25 / MD 27
HP 388

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
My short, skype campaign, The Soulless Dragon, ended. All in all, it went pretty well for what it was.

The PCs certainly changed the world in their adventure and epilouge:
  • Saved the Emperor.
  • Killed the Blue.
  • Killed the Orc Lord.
  • One of them replaced the Crusader by force.

Outside of that, the battles went well, the puzzles worked, people roleplayed in very interesting ways, and it was fun. Also, got to try out a final boss battle which is not normally how I end adventures. It felt appropriate, though, for them to end it battling the Soulless Dragon.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I also just finished up my campaign; Tales was fun but I did have to more-or-less rewrite some parts of the adventures. I scaled Battle of Axis up to level 10, and the big finale fight included the sorcerer doing 1,3050 damage in one round (empowered Epic-feat-ed meteor swarm), the barbarian doing 10d10+10d6 damage and criting on the final attack, and me dropping the sorcerer to 0 three times in two rounds.

Fun times!

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I've never been able to finish a campaign due to flaky players.

I'm insanely jealous.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

BattleCattle posted:

I've never been able to finish a campaign due to flaky players.

I'm insanely jealous.

I feel you, goon buddy =/

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Has there been any word on when the next Glorantha playtest material will be? The beta-ness of the current one, uh, shows (like what are Humakti swordforms? Why does it reference Battle Mobility, which is a Wind Lord thing?) and it's been, what, three months?

EDIT: Seriously Humakti is kinda the worst, I have no idea how the swordforms work. Don't see anything in the class that explains it!

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 24, 2015

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Has there been any word on when the next Glorantha playtest material will be? The beta-ness of the current one, uh, shows (like what are Humakti swordforms? Why does it reference Battle Mobility, which is a Wind Lord thing?) and it's been, what, three months?

EDIT: Seriously Humakti is kinda the worst, I have no idea how the swordforms work. Don't see anything in the class that explains it!

I think swordform is the name for humakti powers that aren't attack powers. When you learn a new power, you choose to learn a sworform instead of learning an attack power.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

how can I get into playing this online? my local scene is dead and if I used roll20 correctly only two games are accepting players but they're six hours ahead

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Cat Face Joe posted:

how can I get into playing this online? my local scene is dead and if I used roll20 correctly only two games are accepting players but they're six hours ahead

What's your time zone?

Also you can make friends and play games with your friends, that's a good way to play RPGs. I recommend it!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

bewilderment posted:

What's your time zone?

Also you can make friends and play games with your friends, that's a good way to play RPGs. I recommend it!

EST. I already play two games with my friends, one pafffinder, the other d&d 5. I'm the only one with 13A and I'd prefer to play it before running it

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

My group played our first session of 13th Age last night using the starter adventure in the core book and loved it, even with it being the DM's first time. The only thing that bothered me is the relative simplicity of the tactical setup: engaged, nearby, far, that is. In our situation we ended up having two characters hang back at far distance and plink away at the blue dragon encounter pretty much completely unimpeded while two other characters and I slugged it out. It's hard for me to put my finger on exactly what's bothering me about the system, but perhaps we just need to be less abstract about terrain and cover so there's still some strategic considerations.
Also, I'm a sorcerer with +3 in CHA, is this like DnD, where I should definitely go for at least +4 or +5 to my main damage stat? I wasn't really paying much attention when I built the character.

ps. also also, the pen and watercolor art style in the book is awesome and reminds me a lot of the old Planescape stuff.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
you don't really need to optimize much in 13th age if he follows the math for encounters (which lean on the easy side) as long as it is somewhat positive you should be good.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Fuligin posted:

perhaps we just need to be less abstract about terrain and cover so there's still some strategic considerations.

We're a couple sessions in and this is what I'm finding. A full-on drawn out battlemap actually seems like the ideal way to play the game - but you can do it at the single sheet of paper scale. The combats do best when there's lots of terrain going on, lots of movement, and a real reason to get moving about. Things to hide behind, doors to take up, alleyways to duck into, bushes to crash through, streams to jump over, pits of lava, etc. If combat happens on a flat featureless plain or in empty rooms, streets, and corridors you're going to die of boredom.

Near as I can tell, the rules really do mean it when they say that the default should be "everyone is nearby to everyone else and if you want to be far away you're going to have to use an action to do it."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fuligin posted:

My group played our first session of 13th Age last night using the starter adventure in the core book and loved it, even with it being the DM's first time. The only thing that bothered me is the relative simplicity of the tactical setup: engaged, nearby, far, that is. In our situation we ended up having two characters hang back at far distance and plink away at the blue dragon encounter pretty much completely unimpeded while two other characters and I slugged it out. It's hard for me to put my finger on exactly what's bothering me about the system, but perhaps we just need to be less abstract about terrain and cover so there's still some strategic considerations.
Also, I'm a sorcerer with +3 in CHA, is this like DnD, where I should definitely go for at least +4 or +5 to my main damage stat? I wasn't really paying much attention when I built the character.

ps. also also, the pen and watercolor art style in the book is awesome and reminds me a lot of the old Planescape stuff.

The point system and the way defenses are settled in 13th Age promote you putting a lot of points into two ability scores so that they are equal or almost equal in number, but not necessarily going all in so you can shore up a third score (assuming you care about defenses). The second-most important score there serves as your "middle" score for defenses and ideally the score of secondary importance for whatever class you're playing.

I don't particularly like that they made the ability score meta an even bigger deal than it is in D&D, when in a progressive D&D-style system it should matter less. In 13A it actually matters to your spread if the game is going the full 10 levels or not because of how it does the later bonuses. That's very 3E, of all the things they could emulate there.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

It's actually worse than in 3e, because odd ability scores do literally nothing, full stop. In 3e/4e at least you occasionally needed an odd ability score to qualify for a feat or something, but in 13a they're completely useless, and you get three ability score boosts, in the form of +1 to two different stats at 4/7/10. So basically you are always going to have some dead stat points no matter what, because if you start with them all even you either have to increase them weirdly or end up with odd stats; if you start with them odd you're already starting off with some dead stat points (but at least you got more overall points probably if you cut back to 17).

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Death to ability scores. Flat stats seems to work well enough.

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

JonBolds posted:

We're a couple sessions in and this is what I'm finding. A full-on drawn out battlemap actually seems like the ideal way to play the game - but you can do it at the single sheet of paper scale. The combats do best when there's lots of terrain going on, lots of movement, and a real reason to get moving about. Things to hide behind, doors to take up, alleyways to duck into, bushes to crash through, streams to jump over, pits of lava, etc. If combat happens on a flat featureless plain or in empty rooms, streets, and corridors you're going to die of boredom.

Over the last two years, we have nearly always used pre-printed battle maps or home made terrain and, yes, minis. It gives fun stuff for the rogue to hide behind, places for monster reinforcements to pop out of, and visible locations fro the macguffin or ritual-casting bad guy.

We just don't count squares.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Earthorn posted:

We just don't count squares.

Death to Counting Squares. It's either nearby or far away, and everything is positioned relative to everything else.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The thing 13A helped me realize is that tactical movement is a huge source of slowdown in d20 gaming, and only rarely provides value.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Ability scores are cool and you should not kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Fuligin posted:

In general, the near/engaged/in front stuff works well enough, but far range really needs some sort of qualifier to it (the enemy is far range because it's up on a ledge, or because there's a barrier between near and far, etc) because otherwise it's not terribly meaningful.