Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I feel links such as website and the ICON fanzine should be more prominent in the OP.

Also the Vault, but then that site keeps going down, like it is right now, so :shrug:

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Kenderama posted:

Vault isn't down - not sure what you are trying to connect to.

http://www.13thage.org
Both that link and the one in the OP gives me "403 Forbidden"

quote:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Kenderama posted:

Clear your cookies and cache and try again, or use a different browser?

I just tried it on my home computer and my iPad and it is most definitely up.
No, I've tried it on multiple browsers and devices. Could the IP be blocked or something?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Stalwart was neat but I didn't get that far into it before our campaign came to an end.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

-Fish- posted:

This is a very good point, in retrospect I'm gonna have to agree. I hadn't considered this because... well it's a melee class. They're not supposed to be cool.
Ahem, may I refer you to my avatar :colbert:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Kai Lords from the Lone Wolf series.
Geralt the Witcher is also a good example.
Or the vampire Kain, from the Legacy of Kain series.
Jedi from Star Wars and so on.

All of these protagonists are warriors with mystical powers.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 21, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Blegh, layouts of character sheets cannot be edited without Mentor status, and I don't feel like paying

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

It's mostly that loving tail

and those heads, any sensible map would just have three north gates

Jackard fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 31, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

e: I do really like the idea of using Icon relationship dice to avoid traps, though.
Can you tell the rest of us not doing organized play more about this?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

everythingWasBees posted:

Has anybody had experience with the Stalwart, the Cleric, and the Paladin? I'm thinking of using one of them, and while the Paladin fits best thematically, followed by the Stalwart, I'm worried about lack of variation in the Paladin, and how well the Stalwart balances against everything else.
Stalwart is great!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

RyvenCedrylle posted:

The icon die was, I believe, a d12 that did not include the Prince of Shadows because not even the GM knows what the Prince is up to.

Icon die was a d12. Before rolling, determine which icon couldnt possibly be involved... if that one comes up, it's actually the Prince.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

En Fuego posted:

Why do people care about Monks so much. The only time I see people flip their poo poo about classes is the Monk.

I mean, people complain about other things ... but when Monk drops it's like someone slapped your kid or something.
Their beef with d20 monks is my beef with 13A rangers. What a disappointment.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Now I want to see how merged classes would turn out. Cleric+Paladin, maybe Ranger+Fighter (why is ranger even its own thing, other than to meet a quota?)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Rhjamiz posted:

As usual, it's all Tolkien's fault. The Ranger class of TTRPGs is an amalgamation of Aragorn and Legolas, while Gimli and Boromir represent the archetypical Fighter.
No I'm blaming this one on RA Salvatore. The rules didn't change until his books.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 23, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

ProfessorCirno posted:

4e ranger is sort of a weird AD&D meets 3e thing. Still limited to two weapon fighting or archery, the ranger is now the undisputed master of both. Most of the nature loving druid stuff of 2e and 3e was dropped, and the ranger was refocused conceptually back to AD&D's wilderness scout and martial warrior, without the "NOT ARAGORN" trappings. The animal companion was added in a later book but was really mostly awful so nobody used it.
And it was awesome. :allears:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Nihnoz posted:

I got a friend who rolled up a monk, what do I have to ask the GM to do so monk isn't poo poo.
Play a Stalwart reskinned as a Monk; it worked for me.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Ryuujin posted:

Stalwart, no seriously Stalwart. Sometimes it is hard to remember Brynjolf is a monk and not a Stalwart. The class does get unarmed attacks, though they only do d6 damage without a specific talent which increases them to d8s when you have Greatness, or always d8s with a Champion feat. The class is built around being Hercules or similar. Big and strong with a focus on Str and Con. The biggest problem is it only gets 3 talents and it has a lot of nice talents to choose from.
The Stalwart's Greatness is Supreme.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

PublicOpinion posted:

I remember people were asking if we could get a version of the map with no text, did that ever happen?
That was me being a pest; I got a "good idea, will check" and then no response since.

Jackard posted:

Is there a map available of the 13th Age without the text and symbols? I'm planning a campaign for a younger age.

waderockett posted:

That's...huh. That would be really cool and useful, wouldn't it? There isn't currently, but let me ask the gods.

waderockett posted:

I just phoned Simon and the map is not currently available for download, with or without the text/symbols. But he thinks it's a good idea (especially if it comes with some additional content) and will talk to Fire Opal.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 19, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Are there any pickup games for 13A on Roll20? Where would be the best place to look for one?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

But what are the Quirks.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

You could even name those after the Martial/Rogue/Simple proficiencies.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 26, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

potatocubed posted:

What I want to do is make use of some of my old Pathfinder adventure paths without having to deal with the Pathfinder system, and I hit on the idea of making the icons 'people important to the plot' rather than 'high muckety-mucks of the setting' - would that break anything?
Icons work better as factions more than specific npcs. Can your adventure path conversion be spun that way?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

potatocubed posted:

What about factions makes them more suitable?
Well for starters they can't be easily killed off by players, and they make for more interesting backgrounds

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

CaptCommy posted:

The only thing a few of them missed was the ability to be bad at something. Obviously a minor issue, but one of the characters was a 70 year-old surgeon, and he thought it odd that he was as good at untrained skills (running, jumping) as anyone else also untrained. And yes, we just roleplayed it at him being old and decrepit and it worked fine, but some people do like seeing their flaws on their sheet, so I've considered adding a negative background for an area the character is specifically bad at. Definitely not needed in most groups, I'd assume, but it was really the only complaint that came up.
Do you mean this then? http://www.thoughtcrimegames.net/curses-broken-bones-negative-backgrounds-in-13th-age/

I liked this article on Backgrounds too. http://pelgranepress.com/site/?p=11434

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

GruntyThrst posted:

Has anyone run a game with the DTAS houserules? How did that work out?
Ran it with Blood & Lighting yesterday for a bunch of new players because DTAS sheets were the only ones I had on me.

It went fairly smoothly; aside from one person spending his initial 8 pts on four different backgrounds instead of three, so he lost a point that could have gone towards stats. I wasn't sure how to handle that at the time.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Loki_XLII posted:

Of course, I'm nursing them off of Pathfinder, so I think if I suggested no ability scores they would freak.
Told my group that backgrounds were their ability scores; and instead of arrays or point buy they had the 8 mod points to distribute

Jackard fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 2, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Before 13th Age was released there was some talk of various imperial cities getting writeups.

Did this happen? Was it an article or part of a book?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

PublicOpinion posted:

13TW has writeups for Axis, Horizon, Drakkenhall, the Court of Stars, and Santa Cora.
How indepth are they? Do they come with maps? I remember someone posting a godawful Drakkenhall map.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Monsters don't need no city planning

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

One campaign I played in, the current emperor had something like 108 children.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I'm running a new 13A campaign and looking for extra content. Does the thread have any recommendations from "See Page XX" or the Google+ group?

e: some of these articles look like 4e Errata. Is the math for Sorcerous Options balanced?

What is your guys opinion on 13A skill challenges

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 4, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Nihnoz posted:

Does anyone have any good battlemaps for this. I've been shopping around looking at landscape pics but my dungeon folder is depressingly empty.
Quality maps that share the same style are hard to find. Since 13A is gridless I've started looking for concept art, especially stuff from an aerial viewpoint.

towns

sometimes environment art works too http://imgur.com/a/D41wz

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Organized play does have maps, but most all of them are pretty ugly.

Depends on what Nihnoz meant by "good"

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Also, I forgot to ask: which are the non-broken homebrew classes? Last campaign I played had this unlucky fellow that tried both the Witch and the Druid; they were a trainwreck.

Earlier someone mentioned anything written by RyvenCedrylle should be mathematically sound.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

What is your take on the Warlock featured in ICON issue two? http://dngnsndrgns.blogspot.com/search/label/Icon

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Has anyone ever seen Quirks used in a game?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Still brainstorming mechanical benefits to represent downtime at towns, something with less bookkeeping. Thinking of "every full rest, choose one of the benefits below, which last until your next full rest" and put them on cards to go along with the power/item cards I've already made. Currently adventurer tier and using DTAS.

Avid Revelry
+2 to the amount restored by recoveries.
You spend your time feasting and drinking with fine company.

Benediction
+1 to all saves.
You spend your time in devout reflection and charitable work.

Diligent Study
+2 to background checks related to knowledge.
You spend your time scrying current events and researching various subjects.

Meditation
+1 when rolling to recharge abilities.
You spend your time in physical training and mental exercises.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I like that reroll idea, none of my players have Strong Recovery so it shouldn't be an issue.

I was having trouble thinking of some other common benefits, maybe spending downtime on stuff like training animals to perform 1/b stunts or crafting a consumable item like potions.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 7, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

but also paladins just have so little to do already that they needed more feats probably.
Was there ever a paladin that didn't take the cleric talent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

This new group I've been DMing seem really hesitant/unfamiliar with the improvisation and collaborative worldbuilding that 13a relies on. Maybe they're used to settings that spell everything out? This is my first time dealing with an issue like this.

Does anyone have advice for getting players to think outside the box?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 11, 2014