Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bewilderment posted:

So, uh, I'm looking at some of these free organised play adventures. Some of these have upwards of 10 mooks in a fight.
Am I seriously being asked to say "Hang on guys" to my players as I roll 15 attack rolls (you never know, my players might all lose initiative) and then say "Well, uh, you take a total of 10 damage?"
I could always have those mooks all 'take 10' but that seems somehow unfair, even if it is just an average of what would happen anyway.

Whenever a group of identical creatures make attack rolls, make a single roll as normal. Divide the creatures into three roughly equal groups. One group rolls this number, one group rolls this with a +5 bonus, and one group rolls this with -5 penalty.

So if you have 9 mooks, make a single d20 roll. It comes up as a 13.

Check if a 13 will hit, if an 18 will hit, and if an 8 will hit. Deal damage of three mooks (the nine mooks split into 3 equal groups) for each of those results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Trying to understand it from their perspective, it's "limited options" in the sense that if you wanted to do A Thing in Pathfinder, there's almost always going to be a spell, ability or class feature that will mechanically (and therefore literally) allow you to do that.

Whereas in 13th Age, there are certain things that are not tightly defined:

quote:

To use this talent, you must use an additional quick action to cast your spell. Then proclaim the spell’s full name, loud and proud. What do you get for your trouble? Well, you can’t be sure. Your GM will add some small bonus effect that fits the spell, or fits the way you enunciated its name this time around. Whatever the GM chooses, it should add to the storytelling power of the situation. In most cases, the bonus effects won’t precisely match up with what the spell normally accomplishes.

What does it actually do? Who knows! Only the GM, and only at the moment that it's used at the table!

That might not sit well with people who are used to the model of "my character sheet says exactly this, and therefore I am absolutely capable of exactly this", although if I were to guess, your friends might have a somewhat biased opinion on this, especially if Pathfinder was their first and/or only game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

waderockett posted:

Kobold Press is offering 25% off everything in their online store with the checkout code Kobold10. If you don't have the Midgard Bestiary or Deep Magic for 13th Age, or Kobold Quarterly issue #22 where Rob Heinsoo provides escalation die mechanics for five other RPG systems, now's a good time to get them.

Hey, thanks for this hot tip. I picked up Kobold Quarterly 22 for the Escalation Die import shenanigans.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Razorwired posted:

Had anyone ever had a problem interpreting the Javelin of Faith Adventurer Feat? I just had a Cleric get super pissbaby over the fact that I wasn't letting him get away with splitting the Attack damage and the d6 rider.

quote:

Javelin of Faith

Ranged spell
At-Will
Target: One nearby enemy
Attack: Wisdom + Level vs. PD
Hit: 1d6 + Wisdom holy damage.
Miss: Damage equal to your level.
3rd level spell 3d6 damage.
5th level spell 6d6 damage.
7th level spell 6d10 damage.
9th level spell 8d10 damage.

Adventurer Feat: The spell also deals +1d6 damage against an undamaged target. At 5th level that increases to +2d6 damage; at 8th level it increases to +4d6 damage.

It's absolutely clear to me that this was intended to read as an extra 1d6 against the same target, to encourage you to use it against full-health targets first.

However, I can see where the player is coming from in that the imprecision with which the rule is stated could very well let them take it to mean as "any other target, as long as that other target is undamaged". A clearer way to say it would have been "If you attack an undamaged target with this spell, it deals an extra +1d6 damage" or something of the sort.

Put your foot down, or compromise.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mystic Mongol posted:

So I've been doing an older style adventure, running players through 80s d&d modules in 13th age. To give them a reason to be looting ancient temples, I replaced exp with a gold tracking system--loot 20,000 gold for level 2, loot 50,000 gold for level 3, and so on. Combined with a goofy inventory system which replaces encumbrance weight with the resident evil 4 system, looting temples is a blast and when the inventory grid fills up the players stop screwing around searching every room and start heading for the big finale.

All this means I got to say tonight, "In this adventure you've collected 39 duodecillion gold, and advanced to level 4." That was fun.

This is a head-smackingly brilliant idea.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"I know everything" can be an incredibly debilitating reservoir of empathetic knowledge, as Godlike's Hyperbrains will attest

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think most people acknowledge 13th Age's flaws, it's just that the bar is really low after lots of people are still married to 3.PF after all this time (and PF itself not really being any huge reinvention of 3.5) and the abandonment of the 4e model.

Yes, 13th Age still has some ultimately conservative hold-outs from its heritage, but it's a drat sight better than what came out of Mearls's workshop. Like, 13 True Ways is a bigger book than anything 5e has put out so far, and I presume there's more adventure-content in Pelgrane's periodic releases than there are D&D 5e adventure modules.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
FWIW I used the "At Land's Edge" adventure that came with Ken Writes About Stuff Vol 3. It's a 13th Age adventure that was released for Free RPG Day 2015 and is supposed to be quickstart/oneshot/con-game friendly.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
From a mechanical perspective, those rules look perfectly fine.

From a design perspective, "morale rules" were really derived from a pre-WOTC mindset where there was no concept of "encounter balance" - you simply referred to the monster generation tables, and if you rolled 20 goblins, then so be it.

Morale was necessary in these cases partly because of the wargaming roots of old-school D&D where "troops" of units would "break" in morale to cease as an effective fighting unit, and partly because you needed to be able to give players a fighting chance against 20 goblins.

In the post-3rd Edition paradigm, you don't really need morale anymore because while fights are "to the death", they're also structured in such a way that you're never going to throw a fight at the players in which they're hopelessly outmatched anyway (whereas you could do that in old-school D&D, and then pull-out a win by triggering morale failures).

So this isn't something that I consider would be appropriate to use all the time, or at least not without some heavy rejiggering of how "hard" encounters are as a baseline assumption.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pollyanna posted:

So, compared to 5e, is this a more rules/stats light game, or is it considered more on the order of Pathfinder? I like the aesthetic of D&D, but it seems like it has very complicated rules and moves slowly. Is this more of a streamlined experience?

13th Age has more rules than D&D 5e by ... gross weight, but the rules that do exist are more carefully thought out and designed, and the final output is a game that generally plays better and flows better than D&D 5e

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not going to contend that 13th Age is also lighter than D&D 5e on top of being better designed, so if that's what you think, go right ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fuligin posted:

I'm running a campaign for folks who haven't rpg'ed before in 5th edition. We've had one session and it went well, but it also left me wondering if I could just pop in some 13th Age rules like the escalation die, the distance rules, and the more gamey rests. Anyone have any experience or advice, or am I good just jamming it right in there?

* The devs have stated that they had to set defenses to be 1 higher than they "normally" should be, to account for escalation die. You're probably still just good not doing that

* Keep in mind that in 13th Age (much as in D&D 4e), the attacker is always rolling against the defender's defense, even for spells and magical effects. If you were to port the die over to D&D 5e, you'd have to either make the escalation die apply to the DC of a spell/effect, or invert the saving throw system

* Distance rules are probably fine to just chuck in there

* Gamey rests are probably fine to just chuck in there