Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Screw the monk. What I really want to know is what has become of the Owlbear Style adventurer feat? Half of me wants it to be unchanged just as a "gently caress you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Mimir posted:

Yeah, it was a really weird experience when you were playing one - I don't know if it's the way you built yours or what, but it played like a Bard, but even more passive. There's flavor there, but it didn't actually congrue with how the class actually performed.

I don't even know how you'd play one actively. I've made active bards before. They're one of my favorite classes just for their flexibility so I've made a few. But, looking at the occultist, there's nothing there. Especially nothing to really justify things like healing taking an extra turn. Like I find the necromancer nearly requiring a negative con mod and yet still having 6+CON HP weird, but at least that gives a +1 and is easier to plan around. On top of that, it feels like Necromancer is powerful enough to justify that.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B119yyVD0pppYWU1V2lyTEtSRXM/edit

So, we made this a while back and forgot to post it. An updated nicified version of the Runecaster. We forgot to remove words from from A Perfectly Cromulent Sentence. It shouldn't have the three word limit. That's from our old way of scaling. Also, Sharp Tongues is definitely a bit too powerful. We also need more feats.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

HomegrownHydra posted:

Jeezus, get a grip. I haven't seen anyone who played the most recent version say it was underpowered, while several have said it was effective and fun so I see no evidence that the monk was "nerfed". Merely being MAD does not make a class weak, the 3e Druid could have been MAD and still lorded over the martial characters. The 3e monk had more problems than just being MAD, so acting like that alone is a fatal flaw is unwarranted.

The rabid hatred directed at Jonathan for something that is ultimately a minor detail is ridiculous when he is instrumental in making the rest of the game so awesome.

You mean the most recent one that just came out yesterday? That's not a lot of playtesting there.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Stallion Cabana posted:

Uh, just for that last thing, you realize it says 'Whenever'. Which include in that ability itself, which means that you can yes use Charisma for it?

Why doesn't it just say CHA, then? It could completely end any confusion there. They even acknowledge the confusion it could cause!

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Anyway, this is distracting me from my biggest problem with it. Less Ki from feats and no way to regain ki outside of a full heal up.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

PublicOpinion posted:

Here's what I used for an evil alternate version of the party in my game. A lot of the correspondence is more thematic than mechanical. Here's roughly how I did it:
' is mostly a thematic mirror of the party barbarian. She has the talent that gives an extra attack flavored as an animate mind construct, so ' also has a crew of weird psychic shades.
Party cleric has the domain that nullifies critical hits and really gives me trouble when a monster is supposed to get its threat from inflicting Vulnerable, so Julius ignores 1 critical hit per round. His melee attack's ancillary effect is a ripoff of Bless, which the party cleric uses, as is Damnation for Javelin of Faith.
Party paladin takes hits for everyone and yet somehow still hasn't died, so Hannah is supposed to be the trickiest to kill. She also has a Bastion-type effect, and a semi-mark effect to mirror the paladin. Party paladin uses an Inimical sword to weaponize his own high HP, so Hannah has a similar effect on her main attack.
Zede has two separate forms because the party bard got wholly restatted from a ranged bard to a melee bard during the middle of the campaign. The bard has the spell that swaps the positions of party members, so Zede gets a similar effect except as an attack. Party bard got a lot of use out of the spell that inflicts Confuse, so Omega Zede puts the shoe on the other foot except slightly less punishingly than requiring two saves and instead of having the HP threshold it targets the party member with the lowest HP. The monsters that go with Zede were designed because I wanted to have a fight that highly incentivized moving around every turn.
Gorge casts spells with her fists and the party sorceror is a spellfist whose signature moves are Chain Lighting and Breath of the Green.
Party rogue has a dozen ways to mitigate damage and uses Bleeding Strike by default, so Sumiya does either ongoing or gets a damage resistance with her main attack. Turning into a swarm of bats combines damage mitigation with the rogue's High Elf teleport.

The PCs never fought the evil party as a whole party since I wanted to give each of them some spotlight and was also worried about the pileup of gimmicks.

It never even occurred to me that Zede had two forms because I switched my build. Also, I don't think ranged!Rieta ever had the party teleport thing. I think I may have switched before I had access to that.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
It's made easier if you know what you want your character to do. If you want a friend, take Skeletal Minion. If you want to be a good Necromancer, take Redeemer. If you want cleric spells or talking to spirits, take Death Priest. If you want a bit more power, take Death knell.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Mr. Maltose posted:

I'm amazed so many 3.5 players have schizophrenia because no actual human being has ever said that or anything like that.

It's especially weird, because it's pretty easy to argue that the Wizard is bar-none the best controller and is even better than a couple of the strikers. Cleric is a bit worse, but it's still a pretty good leader with I'd maybe say only the Warlord and Bard eclipsing it. But even then, that's arguable.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

01011001 posted:

Make smites impose a penalty on disengagement for one enemy and grant allies a bonus on disengagement against that enemy, for the rest of the battle - something unmistakable like -5/+5. Grant the damage scaling automatically and change the champion/epic feats to do something not lovely.

I say this from experience, the Paladin does not need more disengagement penalties. He already has the deathmatch feat.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Stallion Cabana posted:

So I'm planning on running a 13th Age game soon, with only one major houserule.

3d6 instead of 1d20.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I realize this means flatting out the curve for things like Flexible attacks and the like, does anyone have like, off the top of their head, what a 16+ or an 18+ or something should be instead?

Can I ask why you're doing that. Because the way that's weighted will do interesting things to the mechanics.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

PublicOpinion posted:

The escalation die is going to go nuts. If you need an 11 to hit on round one, that's 50% for both 1d20 and 3d6. But round 2 3d6 hits 62.5% vs. d20's 55%, and then 74.1% vs. 60%, and then 83.8% vs. 65%, eventually topping out at 98.2% vs. 80%. God help you if the bard sings and the cleric blesses. Seems like all the encounter/monster building guidelines will be useless.

Not to mention the whole rerolling thing is 3 times as likely to happen as a crit fail. Assuming 3 is a crit fail and 4 is a reroll. And doing the math, expanding your crit range even by one will multiply your chance of critting by 4. And expanding it by two would make it a total of 7 times as likely.

Edit: Wait poo poo I shouldn't do math while I'm tired. Especially dice math. Expanding it by two actually makes it 10x as likely.

Edit2: And if you're curious, that brings the chance to a grand total of 4.61% still less than one on the d20. Base, it has a 0.46% chance of happening, so rare that if you got it twice in a row you could probably call the thing you're rolling into question about how random it really is.

djw175 fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 12, 2014

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Stallion Cabana posted:

We don't have one. I usually run M&M or Exalted. I don't have a very wide breadth of systems that I know, and he wants to play 13th Age. At best maybe I could do Dungeon World, but that's iffy too. I was mostly hoping someone had some sort of quick fix for the line result problem, he's said he'll play it d20 if I want but otherwise isn't sure.

I'm guessing 2d10 would be just as bad, maybe, because that results in an inability to roll 1?

This is probably better, but I'm gonna crunch the numbers first.

Hitting on turn 1 assuming an 11+ is a 55% chance. On turn 2, this becomes a 59%. On turn 3, a 67%. 4, 74%. 5, 80%. 6, 85%. And 7 capping out at 89%.

Base, you only have a 1% chance of critting. Expanding it by one gives you a 3% chance. Expanding by two gives you a 6% chance.

Assuming a crit fail is a 2, you have a 1% chance of that happening. You have a 2% chance of rerolling.

So generally better, but still rife with the problems of the 3d6.

Edit: If anyone wants to know why I said it was so improbable to get two crits in a row on a 3d6, the chance is 0.0021%

Edit2: You are statistically more likely to drown in your bath tub than to roll 3 in a row.

djw175 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 12, 2014

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I apologize for loving up my math. I forgot to convert a decimal into a percentage. You are in fact roughly equal to be struck by lightning as you are to roll 3 18s on a 3d6.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
You know, for how often we need emergency heals in combat, those recovery things came up all of like once.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

PublicOpinion posted:

It probably helps that my game has a Bastion paladin and a Community cleric, so a quarter of the time enemies will just not be able to crit and the rest of the time the paladin is around to eat half of any really murderous crits. One time none of those helped and we did have a PC dropped to negative half, but we ignored it and instead of dying the character was just infected with the monster's horrific parasites for a dungeon.

Which then went into an elemental doll which we had to exorcise.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Also, saying this as someone who has tried all flavors of Bard, I think the bard might be the best in every category if you're built for it except maybe support where the Cleric beats it. Being able to use Dex for its attacks means you can make an Dex/Con bard which is a really good frontliner from my eyes. Someone else in the group I'm in could probably comment on it from a watcher's perspective.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
The necromancer didn't take their healing spell?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

ProfessorCirno posted:

So, what are the popular houserules people use? Right now I'm considering the aforementioned "druids start with four talent points" and "monks choose either strength or dexterity for both attack and defense."

Some games I'm in use what we call the "Humans are less special snowflakes" rule where everyone gets the extra feat. It's not like rolling twice for initiative is really that weak by itself.

Another houserule that's used in games I'm in is that when your attributes increase, you get 2 +2's instead of 3 +1's, but you can only ever put two of those increases into one attribute.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Hard save for vulnerable seems a bit much when you can keep doing it.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I've asked about this around and the consensus seems to be when you increase a d12 it goes to 2d6. It really only matters at level 3 skeletal minion with the fire feat, though.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Sefer posted:

Yes it is; it has a higher minimum and higher average, even if it doesn't have a higher maximum. I'm pretty sure 1d12 advances to 2d6 in 4e, and I thought it did in 3.X as well, though I couldn't be sure at all about that.

I can confirm it works that way in 4e at least, which 13th Age is heavily based on.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Ugh. I just got done with a disaster of a play by post. Wasn't really the DM's fault, though. Much more the adventure. The Burrowing Dead it's called. We did just fine until the mayor told us about the creepy tomb outside and because we weren't brain dead, we figured the undead we're coming from there. And we were right! But because we didn't waste our time faffing about, we somehow got there to late, where we would have otherwise gotten there just fine. And then we fought an encounter balanced for 8 people with only 5. And one of the enemies had an at-will confuse save ends. And not to mention all the last gasp saves all over the place. I mean we're level 2! We don't even have level 3 powers yet. And we're meant to take on a level 5 and a level 4 accompanied by some level 2s?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
That's the level 4 actually. The level 5 is just made of damage. Which means even if you had faffed about, you'd still have fought it.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Nope. We're level 8 currently. We're just generally pretty optimized. The rogue has a lot of damage mitigation, the sorcerer and barbarian deal poo poo tons of damage, the paladin has shitloads of health and good defense, the bard has a bit of a combination of all of them, and when all else fails, the cleric can heal like nobody's business.

Honestly probably the only reason the barbarian got killed was because we were missing both our heaviest hitter in the sorcerer and our heaviest tank in the paladin.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I was the druid Rae's talking about and I think my biggest issue with the druid is Wild Healer. Putting one talent in it gives you like nothing. And putting two talents is one too many for being able to heal.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
After looking at the Cloak of Shelter in 13TW, I have devised similar powerful items in the same vein.

Gloves of Holding: A magical item that allows you to pick up things slightly warmer or colder than normal!
Amulet of Families: A mysterious artifact that looks pretty and maybe lets you store a small painting of your family!
Boots of Walking: A mystical object that protects your feet as long as you don't walk on abnormal surfaces!
Pointy Sword: A wondrous weapon capable of cutting through skin, some muscle, and many different clothes!
Shield of Blocking: A marvelous piece of armor capable of blocking any blow you can reach it to as long as your arms have enough strength!
Wand of Magic: This horrendous(ly powerful) little stick is capable of having magic put through it!
Symbol of Holiness: This stupendous trinket will maybe gleam a little if you pray really loudly to your god!

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Jackard posted:

But what are the Quirks.

You like to pick things up.
You like to look gaudy.
You like to walk.
You like to stab.
You like to block.
You like magic.
You pray.

I always did say that brevity is the soul of wit.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

PublicOpinion posted:

I'm not sure what bits were Djw's flavor and what was Ryven's substance but the Dilettante made her sword fly apart and encase a bad guy in a cage of whirling death and that was a rad moment.

Pretty much all of that was my flavor. I referenced anime with her several times and this was me referencing Byakuya Kuchiki from Bleach.

quote:

And also at one point she hit with a natural 2, but that might just be because Djw is a degenerate plusses scrounger and darn good at it.

I swear I really don't mean to do it. I am just really good at synergizing my abilities well.

Here's the sheet I used btw.

+2 from cursed weapon. +12 from max E.Die with song of steel. +4 from ghoul form. +3 from level. +4 from INT. -2 to the enemy's AC which is basically just a +2 to mine and others' attacks. If people are wondering about the +27. And to be fair, despite Song of Steel lasting two rounds and me having an armor that lets me regain an encounter power as a daily which means I could stretch that bonus for 4 turns, I didn't use it that often.

djw175 fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Aug 24, 2014

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

potatocubed posted:

For the most part, yes, now that I think about it.

What about factions makes them more suitable?

Basically players don't really interact with Icons at low levels. They interact with the factions those Icons represent. If you notice in the base book, there's no real lone wolf Icon. Each one has followers of some kind. Or they at least represent some sort of faction.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

MelvinBison posted:

To be honest, one shots feel kind of weird in 13th Age since it seems like there's no great way to use Icon rolls creatively. We didn't even roll for them last night. That said, I think most of the problem was I didn't think to bring magic items. :v: Life of the Party was great and I recommend it.

Especially since two of us became Gladiators, at least unofficially. Hanako didn't even try. She just became so goddamn terrifying that she picked up a title.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

PublicOpinion posted:

During a wrestling match in the afterlife, one of the PCs started a fight with a kobold in the audience and then compounded failures resulted in them being hoisted up by a mob of kobolds, tossed out of the ring and onto the unforgiving concrete floor, and then stomped on by every single kobold leaping off the top rope and onto their chest.

This was of course after he was clearly told not to start poo poo because the dead are way more powerful than the not really dead.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Someone clearly doesn't know his internet. Or whatever the hell this is.

http://imgur.com/lbIoX

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

waderockett posted:

Rob acknowledged that this is an "oops" and said:

Which means you'll never jack an icon spell because there's a 1/36 chance you'll be able to use it on a turn.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I'm pretty sure that due to empowering dailies, sorcerers might be the highest DPS. Wizard's DPS drops partly because they don't add a modifier to their damage.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

PublicOpinion posted:

Threw all the person-scale maps I've done in an imgur album. The style varies a bunch across them, only a few are in RPG perspective, and several have very specific uses. Most of them are 1750x1750, Roll20's default size, and the rest are 2800x2800, a 40x40 map in Roll20 with the default grid.

I think of all the ones we did, this one is my favorite, especially because of the stippling, it looked animated in roll20.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Anyone got any opinions on how well balanced these barbarian talents are? I'm interested in a warp-spasmy type barbarian and the infernal mutation poo poo looks cool.

Ice Panzer and Sever the Silver Cord are really powerful and on the flip side, Gift of the Marilith is pretty underpowered.

Corrupted Flesh is a bit weak considering without feats it has a 50% chance of proccing at the highest E.Die and at best it has a 75% chance of proccing at epic when something like Vampire Form, you get a bunch of guaranteed regeneration and things happen when you're missed.

For Bursting Rage, it feels weird that you need to take feats to do what every other spells does automatically.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Is there a good version of the fighter class around?

Stalwart is probably the closest. Maybe the vanguard?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
If it makes you feel better, monster crits kind of suck. There's not much a PC can do to plan for them besides the cleric's community invocation and in all the games I've played, they're the only thing to have killed a PC (the same one twice in fact) because we planned on them doing a survivable 80 damage instead of 160 damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Shrug. Depends on how lethal and random you want things to be.