Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, my group is trying out different RPG's because they want to do a "Long Term" campaign, right now we're deciding between 5th edition DnD, 13th Age, and FATE-Core. I'm rooting for 13th Age, 1 person really wants everyone to like FATE Core, and the other 2 want 5th edition. I'm having to learn all 3 games and run them.

So if I'm doing 13th age, what's the easiest way to wrap my head around it, and are there any really good charts or DM screens for it? We're sitting down for 13th Age in about 2 weeks, and I've bought the book, so I'm trying to learn each game as well as possible, and I think 13th Age will be easier for me to learn then FATE Off the bat since it's not a huge adjustment as far as combat is concerned. (Also I don't want to get rid of all my paper models, pawns, and heroscape Tiles I got specifically for DND stuff...)

What are the biggest change from DnD to 13th Age? What are some common pitfalls for new DMs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you guys normally do paper character sheets or do you use a generator?

If you use a generator, could someone link me?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok, just did my first game and it was fun as poo poo.

We rolled for stats, and one of my players got a 4 in Int, so I bumped it to 8, everyone had kind of weird stat spread but whatever.

We only had 3 people, but it still worked out well, the game balance rules work pretty well. I had them clear out a "murloc" encampment, (I re-skinned the fungaloids,) and I ended up pulling a bunch of punches because at level 1 it's hard to figure out what's op and what's going to be a slog. (1 new mook every round is going to probably be a slog, but I should have done more fungaloid moves.)

Questions: How does the Rogue's Momentum work? I'm expecting they'll be able to pick poo poo up but it seemed to only work on Stunts, which I'm playing with as just a thing players can do.

Mooks, do you roll 1d20 for each mook, or for the mob as a whole?

Necromancer, she rolled high, and didn't want to re-roll but she's got a +1 in CON so she's getting -1 to casting. Can I let her hack off body parts / pull out her eye for a lower constitution?

Does the -ATK for heavy weapons on clerics relate to hit, or to damage?

Does Escalation die apply to damage?

Icon Rolls, for the Icon Roll, I had an arbiter of the Lich King help a player randomly just destroy a guy instead of just hurting him, (She hadn't gotten to use Death Knell at all, and it seemed fun.) Does it have to be social, or can it be combat related?

The other one (my Cleric) got a 5 on a Priestess roll, so the Cloister was mad at her for murdering some dudes over Shampoo.

The 8 intelligence guy was a Rogue, and she kicked rear end by being both Dumb, Wise, and Handsome, using Acrobatics too victory.

I also have questions for where I could take the plot. I have three players, each with a Unique Thing that totally relates to Each Other, for the Cleric, "I am the embodiment of Rogue's Shoulder Angel. I'll teach him what is right." The Necromancer, "I'm the embodiment of Rogues Shoulder Devil. Together we'll watch the world burn." The Rogue has, "I'm the only person with a magical music box I can't open. I just don't remember having it yesterday..."

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 20, 2016

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I already have 1 player saying they miss skills, and that they liked that 4e had more rules, so less rules would probably actively inhibit that.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gildiss posted:

They have skills. They are called backgrounds.

Yes she said she didn't like that from what I understand. But I think she actually wants me to limit her more? I feel like she was trying to test the limits of the system. I think she'll come around.

Twibbit posted:

I usually do paper/pdf. That said a player in a one shot I GMed used this https://www.pelgranepress.com/forum...lassing-updates and it worked out well for him.

We ended up doing paper it took about 2 hours to create level 1 characters though about 45 minutes of that was spent waffling over attributes. I kind of just said to roll because honestly I was getting irritated and wanted to get to the background \ icon stuff. I need to find a way to help players keep track of their spells and powers though because play was slowed down a lot by people needing to look up there stuff constantly.

Game is amazing though and a personal favorite.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 20, 2016

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Those look rad as hell, I wish I had a duplex, but I could probably just use scissors and clear card sleeves to the same effect.

(Is there any reason not to let the rogue switch his powers around like wizards / Clerics do?)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Whoa, I definitely missed the Incremental Bonus Rules, I should be letting players get tiny bonuses after every session then? Do those stack with the normal level up bonuses or are they an alternative?

Where in the Core Book are they explained?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

After every, or every other full heal would probably be better, unless you guys are managing a full heal (+) per session, since otherwise they'd usually run out of incremental upgrades. It's an entirely optional rule if you want to give your players a more constant sense of mechanical progression as you play - when I brought it up with my players they unanimously preferred the full jolt of change that came with a level up; though now that we've had several sessions they may think differently. The rule is listed on pg. 189 of the core book.

It's really nice to think about, I was thinking one or two levels every 8 sessions, but now with incremental bonuses, we could really stretch that out.

I was legitimately worried, because my dudettes normally go from 1 -> 10 hella fast in most games (They're XP driven, and get XP bonuses for good roleplay, doing things that make sense to the character but not the player, poo poo like that.) With incremental bonuses, I could make those the good RP rewards.

This system is so awesome.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are Genre-Hacks ok to be posted under the SRD?

I've already made a Star Wars Hack for this with icons and everything. Though it definitely feels a bit like Fan Fiction when you do the background. I've used a modified Rogue Trader system for ship combat. Magic Items are Force Sensitive Objects.

I've also worked on a CyberPunk Version, which uses Cyberware to move your stats around at the cost of your total HP. (So you may have like 12hp but you'll have 28 AC,) and Super Powerful stuff has minor "Ghosts in the Machines."

With the skill system free-form, and the stats universal for almost literally every system, it becomes really easy to flavor stuff around. Wizard Becomes a Jedi Consular, Cleric Becomes a Doc-Wagon expert. Those kind of things. I've even started to make a template with the flavor taken out to make it easier to hack it into place.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thoughts on Some sample Abilities / Talents for lower level classes to help them keep being interesting? I've been writing some stuff myself and would like to compare notes. Specifically, I want to use Rogue's momentum to give more sneak attacks, or something similar.

On-top of that, what are your guys thoughts on Custom Monsters and abilities? I tend to plan encounters by pulling up some fun looking monsters at the same level, then take 1 or 2 cool abilities and smash them into with a stat spread that looks accurate. (Low HP AC for a caster guy that does a ton of damage, nothing heavy hitting on mooks, etc. etc.)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gildiss posted:

What are some ways to use the icon dice beyond raining magic items on your players?

I use icon die as bonus inspiration with the chance for backstory stuff

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of my players wants to play the equivalent of a 4e Assassin. She wants to do the thing where she stacks shrouds, and has high movement to flit in and out of battle. She picked up a monk, because it definitely seems similar. Would it be better to recommend a Multi-Class with a Rogue so she can pick up sneak attack damage and the like? Or would the lower hp just kill it?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What are some ways to make Monk Great? I heard that an earlier version was really good?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I MC Necromancer and Ranger, can I have a Skeletal Minion, an Animal Companion, Then use Bones Beneath (since that doesn't count as a summons,) then summon minions for a total of 7 Creatures after my turn?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

waderockett posted:

As far as I know you can't cast both Bones Beneath and the Summon Undead spell (both of which take a standard action to cast) in the same turn. But aside from that, it sounds like you could indeed command a horrifying personal army once per day. Throw in icon relationships with the High Druid and the Lich King, and as a GM I am 1000% on board with this concept.

Bones Beneath Minions last longer then a turn. So I could do Summon Undead at ED: 0, then do Bones Beneath at ED: 1

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do you guys use Icon die during the game? We run 3 - 4 hour games, and I have a hard time shoe horning icon rolls into the middle of everything. "Oh and then the dragon missed because Archmage 6!"

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ranger necromancer multiclass, 1 Skeletal Minion, 1 Ranger Pet, 1d4+1 undead summons every single fight.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Am I wrong in thinking there's almost no downside to multi-classing in 13th age? IT seems to spike the power level a ton, and it gives spell casters access to 2x the number of dailies.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My level 6 party just killed a Tarrasque.

i give up.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, well they want to kill the Black Crusader, guess it's time to stat up a Icon...

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Walker posted:

whassup, buddy who uses big solo monsters that invariably die in 2-3 rounds :respek:

:respek: Just statting up Icons for boss battles.

UGGGGH.

Maybe I'll just take 3 Tarrasque's and make it 1 enemy.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
7 PC's and one or two of them will be riding dragon's soon at level 7.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there anything for switching the daily system out for mana points? My players like that system more and I want to be accomodating. I'd rather not create a whole new system from scratch though >.<

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do icon roles at the end of a session then you can prep a whole week. For the first game, just ignore them outside of dealing with factions.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never run an adventure out of a book and am not really sure how, my players are all level 7, could I run the living dungeon book with them if I up the lower level stuff up to 7?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I ended up scrapping that idea, my players are level 7, and I just want someone to math check this for me to make sure my encounter isn't too tough. The plot is going to be basically, you saved the world from Earthly threats, but now mystical creatures from another world are invading. They are a terrifying and ruthless amalgamation of biologically advanced, psionic aliens. They're dedicated to the pursuit of genetic perfection, they relentlessly hunt down and assimilate advanced species across the galaxy, incorporating useful genetic code into their own.They rapidly create new strains of their own species, and they relentlessly assault all those who stand in their way.

They have an NPC they absolutely adore, she's the last remnants of the "Suffering God" and she hands out infinite revives. They've come to rely on her from 4 - 7 so now they'll have to defend her from the Alien Threat, as she's one of the main reasons they've come to Geranth. They want to assimilate her, acquiring her enhanced healing and destructive magics for their own gain.

The first fight is going to be big, it's going to be 6 level 7 heroes ( Mersa the Necromancer, Estatos Cleric,Kasheon Rogue, Helm Artificier|Rogue, Acorn Wizard.)

code:
Zerglings x10

Zergling	
Medium 7th level Mook [Beast]	Initiative: +13	
Vulnerability: Cold
Crit Range Expanded by: 3 until half mob dies
Makes Attack on Death

AC 23 PD 21 MD 17	

HP 18 (180)	

Scraping claws +15vAC - 18 damage

code:
Ultralisks x2

Large 7th level Blocker [Construct]	Initiative: +11	

Psionic Resonance: Immune to Status effects / ongoing damage until 
DC 25 Intelligence / Wisdom check is made revealing fleshy underbelly weakness

AC 22 PD 21 MD 17	

Resist 18+ Until Underbelly weakness revealed
HP 190

Goring Tusks: +12vAC - 20 Damage
|--- Even v Heavy Armor: Target is Dazed
|--- Odd v Light Armor: +10 Damage
|--- Miss: 4d6

code:
Hydralisks x2

Normal 7th level Caster [Beast]	Initiative: +12	

Blood in the Water: Each missed attack increases crit range by 1 (Maximum 3)	

AC 23 PD 21  MD 17	

HP 100	

Acid Shot: +12vPD and Target is Weakened (Save Ends) 20 Damage

Hardening Mucus: +12vsPD and Target is Stuck (Save Ends) takes 13 damage each time they fail the save	

Acid Blood: First time hit in Melee Range, attacker takes 20 ongoing damage

code:
Overseer x1

Normal 9th level leader [Beast] Initiative: +15

Psionic Control: All allies this round benefit from Escalation Die unless Overseer was hit by 2 spells

AC 23 PD 17 MD 21	

HP 190

Mental Whip: +14 v AC: 30dmg	

Psionic Storm: +14vsPD (1d3 Near or Far Enemies) 30 Lightning Damage 
On a Natural 16+ +10 damage 
On a miss 5 damage to everyone around it friend or foe

Sparking Aura: +14vsPD (1 nearby enemy per point on escalation die) 40 Lightning Damage, and Target is Vulnerable (Save Ends)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I now own the 13th Age Bestiary 2 PDF, ask me anything.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rand Brittain posted:

The Great Ghoul (fairly self-explanatory), the Gold King (a previous dwarf king enslaved by greed), and the Forest that Walks (a former High Druid that is now a literal woods elemental for unclear reasons).

They're basically giant setpiece battles with minions and a bunch of gently caress-you abilities like infinite respawns that you shut off one by one when you win campaign victories against them.

It came out perfectly in time for my end of campaign game, where the players were supplanting the icons to become them, so the Great Ghoul became the Lich King, and the Gold King became the Dwarf King. I'd love some more statted out Icon battles like that, it worked really well...

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just the no arguing about numbers until after the session rule.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ProfessorCirno posted:

It does help that in 13a, your magic sword does talk back. Kinda.

What do you mean? I thought every magic item had like a personality, I create a character sheet for each one.

Are you not supposed too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh... Welp, that's not how I run it, but that makes a lot more sense.