Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Speaking of bugs, I was trying to get back into this and was having a hell of a time. I'm happy to report that I've found a solution to the problem I was having.

The Problem: The game will not even start. This one is fixed by running the game in a window and then setting it to a resolution that you can actually display. Once you get past that, the controlled hero attempts to dash off into the void when you give him a movement command (until you click anywhere on the ground again), and you have to tell them multiple times to interact with objects before they will actually do so. This renders the game fairly unplayable.

The Solution: Here's what I did to finally make it work:
1. Locate the fforce.exe. Right click on it, click properties.
2. Click the compatability tab.
3. Check the following:
- Run in Compatability mod for Win 98/ME
- Disable visual themes
- Disable desktop composition
- Run as administrator
4. Click apply, then OK
5. Run the exe. Do not run the game from Steam, Steam somehow fucks it up and keeps the glitch going.
6. I also disabled the Steam overlay, but since you're running it outside of Steam that shouldn't matter. If this still doesn't work for you, give that a try as well?

God I'm looking forward to completing this game again. FF vs the Third Reich is fun and all, but it just isn't the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Blackray Jack posted:

Would it be cool to talk about a problem I'm having with this game here because good god I literally can't progress due to the issue and I have no idea what to do.

Is it in any way related to this?:

RickVoid posted:

Speaking of bugs, I was trying to get back into this and was having a hell of a time. I'm happy to report that I've found a solution to the problem I was having.

The Problem: The game will not even start. This one is fixed by running the game in a window and then setting it to a resolution that you can actually display. Once you get past that, the controlled hero attempts to dash off into the void when you give him a movement command (until you click anywhere on the ground again), and you have to tell them multiple times to interact with objects before they will actually do so. This renders the game fairly unplayable.

The Solution: Here's what I did to finally make it work:
1. Locate the fforce.exe. Right click on it, click properties.
2. Click the compatability tab.
3. Check the following:
- Run in Compatability mod for Win 98/ME
- Disable visual themes
- Disable desktop composition
- Run as administrator
4. Click apply, then OK
5. Run the exe. Do not run the game from Steam, Steam somehow fucks it up and keeps the glitch going.
6. I also disabled the Steam overlay, but since you're running it outside of Steam that shouldn't matter. If this still doesn't work for you, give that a try as well?-

But yeah, I don't think we have a general discussion FF thread, so as long as you're not posting spoilers I doubt Liz Wiz is going to have a problem with it. What's the issue?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Blackray Jack posted:

Not at all. Basically, as soon as I go into the game for any reason and exit, I've learned after experimenting with re-validating the files that it will have to reacquire 8 files every single time. Messing with any of the options will kill all the sound until I reset that too. There is literally no way for me to progress further into the game after the first mission no matter how I tackle it, and I've learned that apparently a cut-scene is supposed to play after beating the final guy but it just goes right to the mission results screen. It also likes to randomly crash on me too for no apparent reason.

I tried reinstalling the game, blitzing through the first mission without altering anything, and looking around online to see if anyone else has these problems but apparently not.

Huh. Can't say I've got any idea as to why it's needing to re-grab a bunch of files after closing. That's weird. Your sound problem can be fixed by setting it to use Direct3D software emulation in the sound tab in options; although changing your resolution does have a tendency to change that too, so you'll have to switch it back if you do that for some reason. I also have no idea why the game isn't playing the final cut-scene for you, I never had that issue playing it on an XP machine, and I'm not far enough into the game yet to find out on my current set up.

What OS are you trying to run it on? If it's win7/8, do you have your Steam installation in program files or did you save it outside of that folder? (The program files folder marks every file read only and can do a lot of other stuff that makes programs run poorly out of it, thanks Microsoft)

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Blackray Jack posted:

I'm running windows 8 (unfortunately) and as for the steam installation being in the program files, I can't really find anything pertaining if I browse the local files.

poo poo. You may have to do some more internet digging, as I know gently caress-all about the file structure for Win 8. Or maybe someone more tech knowledgeable on here could help.

You could always put something up on the Steam Forums for this game, but, well, it's the Steam Community.

Sorry.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So the cursor bug is back, and this time nothing I've tried has fixed it.

Liz, Christmas: Are either of you experiencing this issue? What OS are you running the game on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Okay, so I restarted my PC and that fixed it.

I don't even know anymore.

This game.

• Locked thread