Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CuddleChunks posted:

Lord she's bad, so drat bad. Please please please find some way to soften it or give her no more lines. It's just dreadful.

She somehow actually has a worse Irish accent than this guy, how is that even possible? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

CuddleChunks posted:

Fire the dialect coach then tell Billie to talk in her normal voice and you'd have a fine bit of Victoriana going on. No, they were idiots and had her try on a wretched "Irish" accent. It's ghastly. My show watching friends and I were howling with laughter when she was introduced and then cringing every time she opened her yap.

Lord she's bad, so drat bad. Please please please find some way to soften it or give her no more lines. It's just dreadful.

Everyone else has been fine, can't wait for the next episode. MORE SIGNIFICANT GLANCES AHOY!

The only chance I see of them getting rid of her accent is if Dorian Grey goes all Pigmalion on her rear end or if she gets bride of frankenstein'd (and we already have the flamboyant doctor/scholar!)

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

She somehow actually has a worse Irish accent than this guy, how is that even possible? :stare:

Ahahahah holy poo poo that's bad but Billie Piper is somehow worse. I think it's her native accent mangling the Irish she's trying for. What a horrid trainwreck. A friend of mine is Irish by birth and busts into her native tongue now and again. I'm sorely tempted to have her watch the show without warning her. I bet I can hear her shrieks of horror from miles away, hahahahaha.

Vincent posted:

The only chance I see of them getting rid of her accent is if Dorian Grey goes all Pigmalion on her rear end or if she gets bride of frankenstein'd (and we already have the flamboyant doctor/scholar!)
THER RAYN ENN SPAYAINNN FERLS MAYAINLY ON THER PLAYANNNN!

"What the gently caress did you just say?"

If she were a one-off character that would be one thing but oh lord she's part of the main cast. I just hope you're right and they do something to fix her speech. It's going to really drag down the show to keep hearing that.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

CuddleChunks posted:

Fire the dialect coach then tell Billie to talk in her normal voice and you'd have a fine bit of Victoriana going on. No, they were idiots and had her try on a wretched "Irish" accent. It's ghastly. My show watching friends and I were howling with laughter when she was introduced and then cringing every time she opened her yap.

Everyone else has been fine, can't wait for the next episode. MORE SIGNIFICANT GLANCES AHOY!

What will the bishop think?

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Just saw this, really a fan of possessed Eva Green. Also echoing the fear that this will be cancelled, seems too trashy at times. Not sure if there are that many fans of campy goth out there.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I loving love this show so far, it pulls no punches at all. RIP our good Mister Proteus, you were too beautiful for this world :sadwave:

HEVampersand posted:

Episode 2:

In trying to piece together the three different voices from the séance scene... Peter, Sir Malcom's son, died of dysentery and that part of the reveal ended with the long exhalation by Eva Green.

What I got from this is that Sir Malcolm took the kid along on an expedition, knew he(?) was sick and chose to go on up his mountain climb anyway, which he evidently regrets now. While he didn't have any lines here, I thought Dalton was awesome just the same and the scene had much more impact because of his portrayal.

quote:

Then poo poo got real with the possibility that Sir Malcom's daughter Mina was molested or could've been in a freaky Game of Thrones-esque consentual sexual relationship with her father

Pretty obviously Mina (channelled through Miss Ives) is describing her corruption/transformation into a vampire, she's referring to a third party that her father has sex with and paralleling her vampirism to that.

Who wants to bet that Chandler is a werewolf and is the one doing all the recent killings.

Gaussian posted:

:wtf: happened at the end of the second episode?!?

Mister Proteus was not the first person re-animated by Frankenstein (the new character calls himself Frankenstein's "firstborn").

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

Mister Proteus was not the first person re-animated by Frankenstein (the new character calls himself Frankenstein's "firstborn").
He's the creature from the book. Also, nice touch on having his appearance be based on Bernie Wrightson's illustrations

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah the set design of the lab also reminded me of Wrightson's famous Frankenstein artwork as well:

click for full

Schlampa
Dec 28, 2006

Seen both episodes, have no idea what's going on, and loving it. Timothy Dalton has got some serious acting chops. Looking forward to see where all this craziness leads.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Vincent posted:

They need to just pull a Burn Notice.

Episode 1: "YA EN MEIME!"
Episode 2: "Like my new accent? Thought it was time for a change."

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Scene Chewing: The Show
I love this kind of TV so much, everyone on the show just sells the hell out of their characters and it's glorious.

That Seance scene was brilliantly done, it felt so casual yet terrifying.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

They need to just pull a Burn Notice.

Episode 1: "YA EN MEIME!"
Episode 2: "Like my new accent? Thought it was time for a change."

It's easy! Billie Piper gets conked on the noggin with a half-brick from the rotting Victorian buildings. Only the brilliant neurosurgeon Victor Frankenstein can save her! Turn lights to Impressively Moody! Cut! Slice! Monologue! Saints be praised she's been saved from the grim specter of Death. But what's this? She now talks without her horrid accent? Oh Victor, how will she ever adjust to this new world? (the show is saved)

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
I guess I'm in the minority but I actually love Brona/Billie's terrible accent. I can understand people finding it abrasive, but I just really like it for some reason.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Man, OP throws a lot of shade at Josh Hartnett's character but I actually thought he was alright (I've only seen episode 1). Yeah he was just Josh Hartnett, but I appreciated his reaction to all the messed up stuff he experienced.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

KasioDiscoRock posted:

I guess I'm in the minority but I actually love Brona/Billie's terrible accent. I can understand people finding it abrasive, but I just really like it for some reason.

I'd like it if she was just faking it for some reason. Like to hide the fact that she's the ripper. From Josh Harnett who is also a ripper.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

fadam posted:

Man, OP throws a lot of shade at Josh Hartnett's character but I actually thought he was alright (I've only seen episode 1). Yeah he was just Josh Hartnett, but I appreciated his reaction to all the messed up stuff he experienced.

Yeah, I'm not usually a Hartnett fan but was pleasantly surprised that he held his own with Eva Green and Timothy Dalton in the first episode.

He's just sort of there in the second episode, but once it's out that he's the Wolf Man hopefully his story will pick up again.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Eh he's pretty much a back burner character with Green/Dalton getting the lion's share of cool poo poo to do, he just doesn't have a whole lot to work with at this point other than be the amiable brooding guy (audience surrogate).

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Gaussian posted:

:wtf: happened at the end of the second episode?!?

I know, what kind of loving ending is that? :stare:

CuddleChunks posted:

Her accent is absolutely terrible, but I can just half tune it out and pretend that she's talking funny because she (the Actress) is British.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 21, 2014

DecentHairJelly
Jul 24, 2007

I don't want Fop goddamnit

KasioDiscoRock posted:

I must have missed that she was Irish since I can only understand about 60% of what she says. I just assumed she was a gypsy cause she talks just like Brad Pitt's character in Snatch. I guess if people watch the show with that in mind it won't be so bad maybe?

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014
That ending though, I'd have been honored to be one of his ten friends.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

DecentHairJelly posted:

I must have missed that she was Irish since I can only understand about 60% of what she says. I just assumed she was a gypsy cause she talks just like Brad Pitt's character in Snatch. I guess if people watch the show with that in mind it won't be so bad maybe?

Personally I think the character is in fact not Irish and is faking the accent, hence why its so bad.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I guess I'm in the minority of liking Brona a lot, dodgy accent and all.

That seance scene was loving incredible.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I didn't really know much about this show but it seemed interesting.

Then I read OP and saw it has vampires.

I'm out.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

WastedJoker posted:

I'm out.

Not those kinds of vampires.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

WastedJoker posted:

I'm out.
These are the kinds of vampires that carve poo poo into their bodies and don't really have anything in common with something like Twilight.

Good call, that and the one from Salem's Lot
vvvvv

Abner Assington fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 23, 2014

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
yeah, much more Count Orlock than Edward.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
ok, I'll give this a try then!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Basically it's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen minus Nemo and Hyde. It's really pretty great so far and looks like it'll get even better.

Risque Business
Dec 8, 2012
I'm genuinely surprised goons are liking this show. It's like the TV equivalent of Poochy the Dog, shoving a bunch of bitchin' cool ideas into a box and shaking it up until it pours out in one giant slurry mess. I mean, I really like the atmosphere the show creates, and Eva Green is great in everything she does, but this show really seems like it's throwing ideas at the wall and then not even bothering to wait and see what sticks. I hope it gets better but I expect they'll just keep shoving more and more stuff in until even the writers can't remember what the hell is going on.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

Basically it's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen minus Nemo and Hyde. It's really pretty great so far and looks like it'll get even better.

I'd say Hyde is The Monster.

Sean Connery - Timothy Dalton
Mina Harker - Eva Green
Dorian Grey - Dorian Grey
Dr Jekyll - Dr Frankenstein
Mr Hyde - Frankenstein's Monster
Captain Nemo - ?
Moriarity (or Mycroft in the books) - ?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I don't think it's going to be 1:1, which is probably a good thing. Hyde was easily the coolest thing about the League comics and I'm glad he wasn't watered down and copied. It's OK to actually have Frankenstein be Frankenstein, that's a good story - even as many times as it's been done it's still a good story.

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!
So is Josh Hartnett going to be revealed as an American Werewolf in London?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It seems very likely, yes.

Viewers Like Me
Nov 4, 2004

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Blue Raider posted:

What will the bishop think?

I just love this show. I am also in the werewolf/Josh Harnett group. I loved the seance I'm guessing thats how Eve Green met Timothy Dalton's character. Any theories on how they met?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Viewers Like Me posted:

I just love this show. I am also in the werewolf/Josh Harnett group. I loved the seance I'm guessing thats how Eve Green met Timothy Dalton's character. Any theories on how they met?

I think we can call the American Werewolf in London theory as confirmed, after the zoo scene. And yeah, I really like this show. It's like someone went back in time and asked 20-year-old goth English major me what he wanted in a TV show. It even has flowery monologues! So much love.

If any one was wondering what young Frankenstein was quoting in the beginning, it was Wordsworth; Intimations of Immortality I believe.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Given that Dorian got all turned on by the Lucky Charms Leprechaun coughing up blood I'm guessing he's Dracula? So far he really seems like the odd man out, and it would be a slightly different take on Dorian Grey's immortality. Maybe. I don't know, I mostly pass the time watching this show staring at Timothy Dalton's glorious beard

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Thus far the show is pretty aggressively meh and tonight's 30 minutes of Monster backstory didn't much help. I'm still interested enough to give it a few more episodes if only because Timothy Dalton is loving killing it as pseudo Alan Quartermain.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I thought the show was a little better this time, though the deliberately "brutal" nature of all the characters means it is hard to really get behind any particular one of them.

I hope that Frankenstein ends up turning Billie Piper's character into Caliban's perfect woman.

Caliban: Truly you are a thousand times more beautiful than the earth on which I dwell! How say thee?
Brona: Oh aye tay be shoor tay be shoor diddly-dee potato!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Soothing Vapors posted:

Given that Dorian got all turned on by the Lucky Charms Leprechaun coughing up blood I'm guessing he's Dracula?
Nah, he said something like "I've never hosed something that's dying before". He just the rich-inmortal-bored archetype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

eriktown posted:

Ferdinand Lyle
Not main-cast enough to get a photo, but a memorable character who has been in both episodes to date. A florid, foppish Egyptologist with an oddly sinister mien, whom Sir Malcolm and Miss Ives consult with on matters relating to persons of a sanguinary bent. Played by Simon Russell Beale, we will hopefully see much more of this colorful fellow.

And now we also have the theater guy who takes in Frankenstein 1 who is even more theatrical and it's amazing.

• Locked thread