Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
This whole vampire thing is just a misdirect and will be dropped next episode to focus on the adventures of The League of Theatrical Gentlemen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Frankly after the curve ball they threw with Mr. Proteus, I'm not so sure Ethan Chandler will turn out to be a werewolf, it's too blatant. Brona's going to be the werewolf, the wolves at the zoo left Chandler alone because he carried her skanky scent on his fingers.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Frankly after the curve ball they threw with Mr. Proteus, I'm not so sure Ethan Chandler will turn out to be a werewolf, it's too blatant. Brona's going to be the werewolf, the wolves at the zoo left Chandler alone because he carried her skanky scent on his fingers.

And he just happened to want to stick his hands in a wolf's mouth on the off chance the girl he's been banging is a werewolf?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Maybe it was pretty skanky indeed and he was hoping the wolf would wash it off for him iunno

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Where the hell is Van Helsing? I wish Tim Dalton was playing him.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I like Hartnett and I like Piper's awful accent because she seems to be having so much goddamn fun with the character. This is a show full of scenery demolishers.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I like Piper's awful accent because she seems to be having so much goddamn fun with the character.
I want so badly to hate her for that accent but she's just so charismatic

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Soothing Vapors posted:

I want so badly to hate her for that accent but she's just so charismatic

Pleasing on the eyes as well, let's be honest.

What's getting me so far is...I don't know how to describe it, but Eva Green's performance is...detached? Bored? Aloof? Just the way her character carries herself is mesmerizing in a way I can't put my finger on.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

She has poise, she's very regal. I was actually surprised she was apparently being enticed by Dorian's seduction attempt even before the seance scene left her completely unbalanced and she grabbed that random dude off the street for a little bit of how's your father.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
In line with the LoEG inspiration, I'm still expecting "Ethan Chandler" to be a pseudonym for Tom Sawyer or somesuch. Quick, which American folk heroes would be believable as a wolf-charmer?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Halloween Jack posted:

Quick, which American folk heroes would be believable as a wolf-charmer?

Weedon Scott!

Hell, just flat out make him Jack London.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There are way too many actual Englishmen involved here to let this get hosed up THAT badly.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Pecos Bill?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Pleasing on the eyes as well, let's be honest.

What's getting me so far is...I don't know how to describe it, but Eva Green's performance is...detached? Bored? Aloof? Just the way her character carries herself is mesmerizing in a way I can't put my finger on.

Unhinged

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I'm surprised that this show hasn't gotten a lot more goon-fanfare.

The writing is exceptional, the characters are nuanced and interesting and the show keeps you on your toes without the use of cheap tricks and cliffhangers. I would've expected something of this quality from HBO, and I definitely get an almost *gasp* Deadwood vibe from the series so far.

Time will tell if the show can maintain it's quality, but I know I'm down for the ride.

In for a penny, in for a pound :)

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

The writing is exceptional, the characters are nuanced and interesting and the show keeps you on your toes without the use of cheap tricks and cliffhangers. I would've expected something of this quality from HBO, and I definitely get an almost *gasp* Deadwood vibe from the series so far.

Time will tell if the show can maintain it's quality, but I know I'm down for the ride.

That's very over the top praise (I guess Frankenstein's monster appearing at the end of an episode and splitting a dude in two isn't a cliffhanger apparently?), but yeah it is a fun show. It's very silly and shamelessly unoriginal but Eva Green and Timothy Dalton are obviously having a lot of fun chewing all the scenery.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its pulp television, not prestige television. Pulp doesn't have to be bad. Its fun and Green especially is doing great work but it's not going to draw the praise and attention of shows like Sopranos and Breaking Bad when it has more in common with True Blood.

But that can be a good thing. It keeps people from building up ridiculous expectations and getting snooty about the show's flaws. The crowd we have seems capable of recognizing the show's flaws and just shrugging and enjoying it a strengths.

I was hoping the Hartnett/werewolf thing was a red herring but it does seem hard to deny after that zoo scene. It could still be a distraction but the show doesn't seem very subtle. The Dorian Gray/Dracula theory is interesting. I don't really buy it. Dorian wasn't turned on by blood, he was turned on by death. But I'm not really sure where he fits into the story and they seem to be taking enough liberties with the Ahmet/vampire thing that I could see them getting creative with Dorian's immortality.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 30, 2014

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Interesting I guess but exceptional really? There have been some great shows in the past few years I don't see this standing along side them.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
I really hope we don't get any further back story elaborate from Frankensteins first createion and Caliban really just is a massively overly dramatic douchebag. "I learned the depths of human cruelty and depravity in London... I was beaten up by three guys, then some guy i'd never met cleaned me up, bought me dinner, gave me a job and a place to live. I've been working there every since and looking for you. YOU CANNOT UNDERSTAND HOW I HAVE SUFFERED!"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
See, I thought that this happened after he spent a long period of time wandering in the wilderness, accidentally throwing little girls into ponds and having an old blind monk light his nose on fire.

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.
Why didn't we get this show as a sister-show to Dracula, dammit. That would have been an interesting thing.
Still, the show's cute.

bryn987
May 31, 2014
I want to like this show but it's not grabbing me so far. Writing and story are going all over the place. Feel like they have way too many story lines going on. Love Eva Green though

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
TONIGHT ON PENNY DREADFUL:

Ethan Chandler is not told what's going on. Sir Malcolm and Miss Ives share significant looks. Brona's accent continues to manipulate the fate of humanity from the shadows to bring about the end of the world. An NPC is messily disemboweled.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

eriktown posted:

Ethan Chandler is not told what's going on. Sir Malcolm and Miss Ives share significant looks. Brona's accent continues to manipulate the fate of humanity from the shadows to bring about the end of the world. An NPC is messily disemboweled.

I'm down with that...:colbert:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Oh, me too. I love this show to little pieces. But I'm not above snarking about it. :)

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

eriktown posted:

Dorian Gray continues to act as a Victorian creeplord while Frankenstein's monster Caliban delivers another lengthy speech on the nature of evil. Scenery is chewed, Brona is incomprehensible and Ethan remains a lovable dullard. Egyptologist Lyle remains fabulous.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I hope we get some more Lyle tonight. I missed him last week.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Also on tonight's episode: One episode of raunchy, consequence-free sex is had!

e: I suspect it will be Sir Malcolm's turn at the helm since all of the other principals have had theirs, except gay widower Dr. Frankenstein who is in mourning/being courted.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 1, 2014

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
This show should be on Netflix so we can watch all the season in one sitting and judge it as a whole. I feel like I am reading a sprawling old novel a chapter a week. The kind of story that doesn't feel the need to fully stimulate me every moment. I almost want Timothy Dalton to Ferris Beuller the audience. "Don't worry, chap. We'll get to it eventually. Here, have some more lush cinematography."

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
At least it's moving faster than Agents of SHIELD did!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

eriktown posted:

Oh, me too. I love this show to little pieces. But I'm not above snarking about it. :)

Me too. Caught up on the 1st 3 episodes and really enjoying the Victorian sets; the characters are great so far and the acting suits the time period really well.
Looking forward to seeing where the story goes.

oneof27 posted:

This show should be on Netflix so we can watch all the season in one sitting and judge it as a whole. I feel like I am reading a sprawling old novel a chapter a week.
The term Penny Dreadful refers to sprawling, tawdry and salacious stories often filled with the occult and dished up one chapter each week.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 2, 2014

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Binary Logic posted:

The term Penny Dreadful refers to sprawling, tawdry and salacious stories often filled with the occult and dished up one chapter each week.

This, the name of the series and the whole way it is constructed is as intentional as it is elegant.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well that was not quite the combination of sex partners I expected. :stare:

also Brona is totally going to be Bride of Frankenstein

e: Alas poor Mister Fenton, they keep killing off characters they I like. :smith:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 2, 2014

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
We get David Warner as Van Helsing.

We are not worthy.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I dearly hope he'll be a regular. I do.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Never drink absinthe with Dorian Gray.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
David Warner, you are under arrest by order of David Warner!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Oh no, poor kitty :(

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

Memnaelar posted:

We get David Warner as Van Helsing.

We are not worthy.

I would literally watch David Warner do anything, if we get Timothy Dalton and David Warner (more than like, once) we are beyond lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

eriktown posted:

Oh no, poor kitty :(

Poor kitty, but the way that scene was framed made me crack up. Sembeni (spelling?) owns. Also echoing the David Warner love, suddenly a lot more excited about this show.

• Locked thread