Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Wow, that sure was one way to avert a boring and predictable love triangle :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

That can't be real, he said he wanted someone pretty.
:goonsay:

Where'd the picture come from? I assume this is a spoiler (not that you couldn't see it going this way).

\/\/ You're good. I was thinking maybe she did a photoshoot in her past as a coincidence.

hepscat fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 4, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That is from a press kit

no actually I did it in photoshop thanks tho

Adapted from this pic

and of course the famous Bride of Frankenstein pic

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 4, 2014

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I'm catching up with the current episode now, but I have to admit I'm still mourning Proteus. He had his whole life ahead of him. :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Did anyone else think it was kind of jarring how Sir Malcolm jumps from,"I must get my daughter back, this is my sole focus in life!" to,"I can't wait to take off on another expedition and that's suddenly going to become the thing I focus most of my time and attention on!"?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

No, that's pretty much the foundation of his character "I'm a bad father I'd rather be off finding the source of the Nile"

"Oh dear, Timmy has dysentery. Well keep a stiff upper lip son, Daddy has a mountain to climb tally ho!"

e: I mean yes he evidently regrets being a lovely father but that doesn't mean he's actually trying to change anything :smug:

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Just watched all 4 eps back to back.

It's better than I thought but the Frankenstein storyline is so loving dull.

bryn987
May 31, 2014
The gay scene really surprised me as well.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Jerusalem posted:

Did anyone else think it was kind of jarring how Sir Malcolm jumps from,"I must get my daughter back, this is my sole focus in life!" to,"I can't wait to take off on another expedition and that's suddenly going to become the thing I focus most of my time and attention on!"?

I thought that was super weird to be honest. It kinda came out of nowhere and doesn't seem to make any sense. Unless he thinks there's something there I guess.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

the kawaiiest posted:

I thought that was super weird to be honest. It kinda came out of nowhere and doesn't seem to make any sense. Unless he thinks there's something there I guess.

Yeah it feels like they cut a subplot or borrowed footage that's supposed to appear later in the show or something.

The only other explanation I can think of is maybe something happened (offscreen?) that suddenly made him think getting Mina back will either be easy, or impossible. And probably the former, because I don't think anything could convince him it's impossible (even if it were.)

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
My thought was that since Victor reminds him of his son, he was taken to the memories of traveling after working with Victor a bit - even though, as we seem to have learned, those travels ended up killing his son. Vicious cycle?

I agree that it felt out of place and incomplete, just a setup for the later conversation with Victor.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

hepscat posted:

To my American ears Billie Piper's accent is harsh and guttural but that seems to fit the character. Usually Irish accents sound all lyrical and sweet (as dumb as I sound admitting that).

Ironic, because to me it sounds like the Irish accent people were using in Finian's Rainbow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1UMthWB8oM

(this is why the Irish hate England)

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Flesh Forge posted:

I dunno I think Dorian Gray is just Dorian Gray. I'm getting the impression that the show isn't going to try too terribly hard to reinvent the classic stories it's being drawn from.

Yeah anything Dorian Gray's done so far could be a brief mention in the book. Seducing and loving everyone in a variety of methods and styles was kinda his thing.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Irish Joe posted:

Ironic, because to me it sounds like the Irish accent people were using in Finian's Rainbow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1UMthWB8oM

(this is why the Irish hate England)

Irish hatred for England, founded in 1968.

Have we heard what the overall reaction at the network is to the show? Are they happy with the viewers it's pulling in?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
It's getting a second season so not terrible at least.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Byers2142 posted:

Irish hatred for England, founded in 1968.

Have we heard what the overall reaction at the network is to the show? Are they happy with the viewers it's pulling in?

There are some reactions in the renewal notice I linked on the previous page. The tl;dr seems to be the conventional ratings are okay-ish, perhaps mediocre, but it's pulling the biggest numbers they've ever gotten for time-shifted viewing via Showtime On Demand, etc, and the execs are totally happy about this because the "Comic Con demographic" was what they were going for anyway.

Right at the end of the article they also mention the launch of a Penny Dreadful tie-in merchandise line, which has me a bit :psyduck: I mean, what are they going to sell, fake corpses and bloody handkerchiefs?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

So I just got caught up and holy poo poo the end of the fourth episode, I was like nah... they're not going to then YES!!!! That was great. I am glad this is getting a second season.

I really really enjoy this show its great to bad more people don't :(

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

eriktown posted:

There are some reactions in the renewal notice I linked on the previous page. The tl;dr seems to be the conventional ratings are okay-ish, perhaps mediocre, but it's pulling the biggest numbers they've ever gotten for time-shifted viewing via Showtime On Demand, etc, and the execs are totally happy about this because the "Comic Con demographic" was what they were going for anyway.

Right at the end of the article they also mention the launch of a Penny Dreadful tie-in merchandise line, which has me a bit :psyduck: I mean, what are they going to sell, fake corpses and bloody handkerchiefs?

Do you know how much Victorian-type poo poo they could make and sell? Handkerchiefs, pocket watches, heck I'd even see them make Penny Dreadful neck chokers.

And you know what, if it's the "Comic Con Demographic" that's watching this show then those tacky tie-ins will sell.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

nutranurse posted:

Do you know how much Victorian-type poo poo they could make and sell? Handkerchiefs, pocket watches, heck I'd even see them make Penny Dreadful neck chokers.

And you know what, if it's the "Comic Con Demographic" that's watching this show then those tacky tie-ins will sell.

I am newly single and I am acutely aware of what corsetry, chokers and pocket-watches they could[/l]. What remains, much like the show, is the [i]will.

Chokers attract me beyond reason or sense so that's probably a good place to start. :/

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Wiggy Marie posted:

Liked this episode much better than the previous. Also, is it just me or was there a nice little touch with Ethan wiping blood from what appears to be a cut only for there to be no cut left?

Cat scene cracked me up. So abrupt, so efficient.

I'm not sure how I feel about this scene. The inclusion of the absynthe makes it a little uncomfortably close to getting someone drunk and taking advantage of them. Dorian gives me a very Lord Byron feel, so he swings every way where there's a hole, presumably, but I'm not so sure about Ethan. I guess it helps that he's making the moves though!

My reaction to that scene was, "Maybe this is why Ethan had to leave America!

hepscat posted:

I've heard of "cooter" but coot? This is a coot:

Anyway, I am in the camp of Dorian Gray being balls-out trouble for anyone around him. He seems to have a sway and he's bored from being around way too long, so he's going to push people to their limits in one way or another.

To my American ears Billie Piper's accent is harsh and guttural but that seems to fit the character. Usually Irish accents sound all lyrical and sweet (as dumb as I sound admitting that).

Lyrical sure - but sweet?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrAwK9juhhY

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Binary Logic posted:

My reaction to that scene was, "Maybe this is why Ethan had to leave America!

In any case he's certainly arrived in England :iamafag:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Actually, I really hope that's why Ethan had to leave America.

It's sad, but that's really more interesting than being a werewolf -.-

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

hotsoupdinner posted:

I read a draft of the script for the pilot. The end of that draft has Malcolm meeting and hiring Van Helsing. The Frankenstein experiment didn't even show up.

I'm quite happy with how that turned out, then, tbh. I liked the show, but Frankenstein's monologue in the pilot made me dissolve in a puddle of florid neovictorian squee.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I like all the stuff with Frankenstein. It doesn't seem boring to me at all. I'm excited that we may get a werewolf.

Really wondering why Ethan didn't want him to roll up his arms or give his blood?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Has anyone ever written anything about why the Victorian era is so creepy? I mean if I'd have to pick the "creepiest, most unsettling era of humanity" that would be no. 1 easily. I don't know, maybe its not universal, but I'd be interested if it is something more widespread.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It was an era in which regressive moralism was used to justify new heights of exploitation made possible by the industrial revolution.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Hollismason posted:

I like all the stuff with Frankenstein. It doesn't seem boring to me at all. I'm excited that we may get a werewolf.

Really wondering why Ethan didn't want him to roll up his arms or give his blood?

At the time I had figured it was due to his sexcapades with Madam Consumption.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Doesn't everyone know that mixing vampire blood and werewolf blood is a bad idea? actually Ethan has AIDS

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

eriktown posted:

Never been to Hot Topic?

I for one am hoping that Dorian Gray continues to bang every single person in the main cast.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

sleepingbuddha posted:

Never been to Hot Topic?

A palpable hit, sir.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

sleepingbuddha posted:

I for one am hoping that Dorian Gray continues to bang every single person in the main cast.

Oh, and this. I for one will be keeping score.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Halloween Jack posted:

It was an era in which regressive moralism was used to justify new heights of exploitation made possible by the industrial revolution.

Or it could be that explosive urban growth led to filthy, overpopulated cities populated by equally filthy people.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Irish Joe posted:

Or it could be that explosive urban growth led to filthy, overpopulated cities populated by equally filthy people.

Or both, with the addition of a penchant for florid ornamentation and a profuse explosion of interest in the occult.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

eriktown posted:

It's sad, but that's really more interesting than being a werewolf -.-
Maybe he's a wereotter :v:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Vincent posted:

Maybe he's a wereotter :v:

Perhaps he even does cute little human things with his hands.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

DarkCrawler posted:

Has anyone ever written anything about why the Victorian era is so creepy? I mean if I'd have to pick the "creepiest, most unsettling era of humanity" that would be no. 1 easily. I don't know, maybe its not universal, but I'd be interested if it is something more widespread.

The wonderful thing about Victorian England is that it's actually quite reasonable to question which is worse -- the upper class, or undead monstrosities? :v:

hotsoupdinner
Apr 12, 2007
eat up

eriktown posted:

I'm quite happy with how that turned out, then, tbh. I liked the show, but Frankenstein's monologue in the pilot made me dissolve in a puddle of florid neovictorian squee.

The script actually goes from, "Frankenstein gives a speech and Malcolm hires him" to "Now Helsing is giving a speech and Malcolm hires him." It was a double beat and the pilot itself was served much better by the set-up, then payoff of Frankenstein.

Also in the draft there is a scene where American bounty hunters try to arrest Ethan to bring him back to America, but he beats the poo poo out of them.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
I know I'm already a few episodes ahead of you guys, but drat Eva Green never fails to blow me away. The séance was a fantastic display but she does so much more than that.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Memnaelar posted:

I think there are way, way too many clues that Ethan *is* our American Werewolf in London for me to actually buy into the fact that he is.

He clearly knows *something* is up with his blood, given the transfusion scene. He also seems to know that he can calm the wolves or at least not freak them out. But he doesn't have any reaction (aside from a few chuckles) to the werewolf show at the Grand Guignol which is telling to me because you'd think it'd bother/annoy him if he's also suspecting that the little pantomime on stage is pretty much exactly he's doing at night to the local ladies. I'm not sure what explains his weird reaction to the ratcatcher dog; maybe that's closer to reality than the stage play.

I don't know; perhaps I'm reading more into it than I should and it'll all end in him being a werewolf the way they're pretty much shouting he is, but I could totally see it twisting and Ethan's story being something altogether different, like being a Jekyll/Hyde creature or something of the like.

Way off-base? Totally just a werewolf?

I would agree with this if it weren't for two other instances: 1. Ethan is visibly and vocally upset when Malcolm is reading the paper about dismembered victims not being vampire victims because they weren't drained of blood. And, 2. In his flashbacks at the dog pit, he remembers the hooker on the bench with the apple wrapped in paper.

Firstborn posted:

I will say it is kind of cool to see Caliban genuinely having a good time being useful and how kind surrogate stage dad is to him. :unsmith:

The scene where Alun Armstrong's character says "Let's kill the audience tonight.", and Caliban gives him a giant grin made me grin, take a drink of bourbon, and toast the TV.

Flesh Forge posted:

Doesn't everyone know that mixing vampire blood and werewolf blood is a bad idea? actually Ethan has AIDS
Does anyone else remember an episode of the old Real Ghostbusters cartoon that had werewolves and vampires biting each other? Werewolves would suddenly sprout bat wings, and vampires would lose their wings and get more teeth?

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yes! Yes, I remember that!

• Locked thread