Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
That is some :krad: music for the first battle.

As a huge SRPG nerd, I am following with interest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

In a way, VP at least serves to balance out speed a little from becoming the god stat it tends to be in SRPGs, or at least that's my understanding - there's an actual downside to getting more turns, as opposed to that unit just being better than anyone else.

Maybe I will end up changing my opinion? We shall see!

theshim
May 1, 2012

Add me to the list of people who've started this thanks to the LP. This is one of the most unique SRPGs I've played, largely because every single map so far has had some massive gimmick making you tailor your approach to deal with it.

Also the music is kickass. Enjoying the game and the LP!

theshim
May 1, 2012

Wild Knight posted:

Do you mean to say Clarissa can just... shoot chests from halfway across the map to open them?

Cause if so that's pretty rad.
Chests are opened by a unit attacking them. Doesn't have to be in melee!

The annoying thing about Strahl Gewehr is that it has really, really awful vertical tolerance, so the infinite range on it is a lot less useful than it sounds, but you can still do some fun things like snipe chests from a mile away :v:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Honestly, even non-mages want a run through Sacred Slayer just for that passive. But more on that after the writeup.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Krysmphoenix posted:

Yeah, if you go to that guy's equipment screen, you'll see he has a unique Secutor weapon that can't be found anywhere else in the game.

Pity, really. The weapons in this game are all really generic. The gimmicky stuff is given out to enemies. With two exceptions, though we have one of them already as Clarissa's gun.
The individual ones are, but as a whole weapons (and armors) tend to come by class with an interesting effect that can be really nice. A lot of them are thoroughly ignorable, and there are actually some that do nothing at all, but it's just one more thing to consider in a pretty chock-full game.

theshim
May 1, 2012

What's really annoying about a lot of the interesting sounding abilities is they flat-out don't work on most bosses. Status effects, Rob Turn, Graviton...bosses are immune to virtually all of them (with a couple odd exceptions, which are then incredibly easy to gang up on and pound into the dirt). The major exception, though, is Levin's Cancel Strike, instantly propelling him to MVP for most of the game. :getin: It helps that he's also crazy fast and that Blast is stronger than the Elementalist spells unless hitting a weakness greater than 50% and can be used after moving. I stuck the best spellbook I had on Levin and let him go to town the whole game and he never disappointed me.

I always favored a very mobile and offensive party, so Sentinels sadly saw almost no use for me. They're solid enough and can get ridiculously tanky if you keep up with upgrading their armor, but they just didn't fill the niche for me.

Sacred Slayers have one important characteristic which was not mentioned but which the LP will encounter soon enough that make them hilariously good at taking out the undead even without any of their abilities. That said, while the class itself is unfortunately not very good to remain in, Widespread and their OC are utterly fantastic (also, Fragile is fantastic for dogpiling bosses) and they get big points for that.

The handiest thing about Excavators, when the game's not forcing you to bring them for gimmick-of-the-week, is that they are fast and have a nice long range attack, useful for setting up buffs and combos. If you're not planning on having them be heavy hitters or nukers, Excavator's a decent class for your utility people to be in, surprisingly. You will likely want the abilities and extra skill slots from being in other classes later, but they're a nice fallback.

Geomancers are pure gimmick, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

Clarste posted:

I turned Clarissa into a Sacrifice nuker with Widespread. I have no idea if this was good or not but it was funny. The gun starts to seem very weak later in the game, although I guess I could have put her in more physical-focused classes. I only used it to open boxes.
Strahl Gewehr does fall off pretty hard but Clarissa has a useful ability or two from Dandelion Shot that can actually make her a solid powerhouse with it, especially if you have someone else feeding her Invoke.

Of course, I just had Clarissa spam Encourage on around 90% of her turns, because AoE turn buffs are stupid good!

I actually managed to finish the game since the last update, and it's got a lot of fun points for itself. There's a good amount to discuss later on, so I look forward to the LP continuing.

• Locked thread