Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Lowtax posted:

There are roughly 47 different dialects in China, but the one that binds them all together is the car horn. Drivers honk when they approach another car. Drivers honk when they have passed another car. Drivers honk when they think of another car, or when they don't think of another car. The purpose of a car horn is to let the world know that you do, in fact, possess a car horn and it is fully functional. Rumor has it you can serve a lengthy prison sentence if you fail to blow your horn for 18 consecutive seconds.

Having just returned from 3+ weeks in Shanghai, I can say that this is pretty much dead-on. On one 20 minute walk from a nearby mall back to my hotel, I decided to see how long I would go without hearing a car horn. I made it to 15 seconds once.

While the trip was a good one, and I enjoyed the Shanghai Circus, Pizza Hut's Korean Beef and kimchi pizza, seeing restaurants with stuff like bull penis soup on the menu, and the fun(?) of bargaining for prices on souvenirs (which was also pretty accurate on the front page), I didn't especially enjoy breathing terribleness and I'm happy to be home.

When and why were you in China, Lowtax?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Also checking in to say that this article was eerily accurate with some of my experiences. I thought that you were supposed to add in your own funny or ridiculous things to front page articles, but I guess not.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
Wait til you see those custom tractors, they're hot rods compared to western tractors.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

How many people do you see making GBS threads on the street on an average day?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Y-Hat posted:

How many people do you see making GBS threads on the street on an average day?

It's mostly just kids, mostly.

I liked the callout of the half-finished abandoned construction, that has got to be the dumbest thing about China.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 20, 2014

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

The whole thing was great, but this was by far my favorite part:

quote:

You see, when a Chinese resident buys something, they don't simply ask how much it costs and then exchange their currency for a product. That backwards poo poo is for idiots. No, they must abide by the time-honored tradition of negotiation, which always, and I repeat ALWAYS, follows this explicit process:

1) Buyer asks how much the product is. Seller tells them.

2) Buyer responds by acting aghast, claiming there's no way this thing could cost this much. It's an insult to both them and humanity in general.

3) Seller offers a SLIGHTLY lower price.

4) Buyer acts as if the product is the absolutely most disgusting and revolting item in the history of the universe, and they'd rather die than purchase it. Buyer walks away and pretends to examine other items, or they completely leave the store for a period of time.

5) Buyer eventually returns and offers an even lower price for the product. Seller acts furious, as though it would be sacrilege to sell their item for such an obscene price, and selling it so low would force them into bankruptcy. They eventually regain their composure and counter with a moderately higher price.

6) Buyer pauses and spends several hours carefully examining the object, pointing out any imperfections, real or imaginary, in an attempt to negotiate an even lower price. Seller reassures customer that the product has a lifetime guarantee, which is code for "guarantee that ends the moment you purchase it."

7) Buyer and seller scream at each other for several more hours. You can determine who is winning by noting who screams the loudest or in the deepest voice.

8) A compromised price is eventually reached and the item is purchased. It is now half a week later, and several of the buyer's family members have died of old age.

I've seen at least parts of this happen so many times and it was spot on :lol:

effectual posted:

It's mostly just kids, mostly.

I liked the callout of the half-finished abandoned construction, that has got to be the dumbest thing about China.

I've been to several countries where this is done on purpose and is very common place. "Half finished" (but functional) buildings are considered under construction and the owners don't have to pay taxes on them or some such thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pawn 17 posted:

I've been to several countries where this is done on purpose and is very common place. "Half finished" (but functional) buildings are considered under construction and the owners don't have to pay taxes on them or some such thing.

Sort of related: I remember visiting a friend in Shenzhen a long time ago and near a bus stop with propaganda about "one kid ok, two kids get your tubes tied, three kids/four kids scrape scrape scrape" was a poured concrete sidewalk. At the corner of the sidewalk was a little hole, and looking into it you'd see a little pit with a fire hydrant in there. Basically, they built the sidewalk up and went around the fire hydrant, but the sidewalk was so tall and close that the fire hydrant was completely unusable.

• Locked thread