Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ztarlit_Sky
Mar 4, 2014
Nap Ghost
This is gonna be good. I watched the previous two games and the story has been nothing but an appalling mess.

The first comments are already promising, looking forward to seeing more. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This isn't an outfit of Bartz's?

Oooh close. You're one off.
It's Amano's design of Locke, FF6.

[e]:Not to spoil much about the clothes but some that you get are just downright stylin, some are just goddamned lazy and uninspired and quite a few are just...urgh :stare:.

They're all either one of those three, nothing really in between.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 14, 2014

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

I made this image like a couple of months after the FFXII-2 LP ended so I never got to post it.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

ayn rand hand job posted:

whatever happened to that blue sky, that azure horizon

Banned for admitting to getting one of their friends drunk and taking advantage of them iirc.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Can't wait to see how seamlessly this transitions into FFXIV.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Boxturret posted:

Banned for admitting to getting one of their friends drunk and taking advantage of them iirc.

He's since made two parachutes (his name schemes are themed for some reason and he keeps linking his terrible fanfiction). But he's thankfully keeping a low profile so there's no point in outing him.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Oh this is going to be good. Let us enjoy this with a marry hurrah to Final Fantasy sucking every convention a JRPG can out of it's creator's dick.

Gnomebitten
Mar 31, 2011

Shave Early. Shave Yourself.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oooh close. You're one off.
It's Amano's design of Locke, FF6.

[e]:Not to spoil much about the clothes but some that you get are just downright stylin, some are just goddamned lazy and uninspired and quite a few are just...urgh :stare:.

They're all either one of those three, nothing really in between.

Every outfit I've seen is great and is one of the goofy cool things the game has to have to make you feel like you want to like it, like putting hats on pokemon or afro chickens or giant stomping weather dominators

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

I can't wait to be disappointed by the ending because it was blatantly foreshadowed less than an hour into the game. I think the next update will have Basil Exposition going on about our mission.

i will be disappointed of this game doesn't end in anything but sunshine and hugs

with caius grinning manicacly

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
"My conversation with Kitase took place just a few days after the NPD group had released its sales figures for February 2014. Relevant to our meeting was that fact that while Lightning Returns ranked in the top 10 games for the month, it had been outperformed by Bravely Default, another Square Enix RPG. The discrepancy clearly had caught the company off-guard, if the uncomfortable silence that settled over the table when Kitase mentioned Bravely Default served as any indication."

from: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/where-final-fantasy-went-wrong-and-how-square-enix-is-righting-it

gregory posted:

Immediately upon typing that, I realized that I'm probably a masochist. Huh.

Nah, you're a masochist if you were looking forward to playing the game.
If you looked forward to watching the LP, then you're a sadist.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
The thread title is phrased in such a way that it makes me think of Lightning showing up at gamestop with her receipt and used game in hand with a disapproving look on her face.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I will never forgive you for not using Poison against the gargantuan tomato boss in FFXIII-2 LP.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
The way the voices were really really quiet was bugging and confusing me until I saw your tweet. Part of me now hopes you won't be able to fix it, there's not much interesting story to miss and a nearly-inaudible Hope is the best Hope.

... maybe too early to call, but this story continues to be a complete trainwreck. Especially liked the detail that Snow is king or whatever because he "tried to help out" and was made leader by "popular acclaim." Snow. Didn't that guy spend years trying to punch a tomato to death or something?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gnomebitten posted:

Every outfit I've seen is great and is one of the goofy cool things the game has to have to make you feel like you want to like it, like putting hats on pokemon or afro chickens or giant stomping weather dominators

Yeah some are definitely cool, But the weirder ones; not good.
They even go against Lightning's meager amount of character.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

This game is actually pretty good I think. Story is mostly the stupid Fabulous Crystal Saga bullshit, but it has some good bits too. Not often, but they're there. Also Lumina is the best character and Hope is a prick.

Gameplay is really fun when you start getting the nice toys to play with. Takes a while to really get going though.

I hope you gave all your schematas silly names and colours and accessories.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

So Lightning is the pet that you give hats to this time?

Is there a lightning mask?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I wasn't too hot on the soundtrack in the original FFXIII, but it's become really grating by this point. It all just ends up sounding like the same string section playing the same bit over and over, and it's so loving annoying. I wish they'd gotten the FFXIV sound team to do the soundtrack, as that game actually had a pretty great soundtrack.

Oh, and since you mentioned changing the difficulty I figured I'd mention that Child of Light is another game where you can change the difficulty in-game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Chieves posted:

So Lightning is the pet that you give hats to this time?

Is there a lightning mask?

Yes there is.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

LeafyOrb posted:

It's all datalog poo poo, but the mythos has been consistent from game to game actually. Barthandelus was a servant of Lindzei who was trying to summon Bhunvelze by destroying everyone. Lindzei and Etro are his children. Also Etro is supposedly in FF 15 so we get to enjoy more incompetent godliness in the future. So right now Lightning is the servant of a god that can only be summoned by killing everyone, seems like a good plan.

Also, gently caress this game.

This also doesn't follow the original design philosophy. Originally all the XIII games were meant to be completely different with some shared content, then when XIII got critically panned the other XIII games got re-branded (what will eventually be XV I guess and that vita one) and they continued to make sequels to it because ???

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Oxxidation posted:

Yes there is.

She also wears it like an actual mask, and not on the corner of her forehead like all the monsters did in XIII-2.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

AnotherGamer posted:

She also wears it like an actual mask, and not on the corner of her forehead like all the monsters did in XIII-2.

Some mechanical monsters used them like actuals masks.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

AnotherGamer posted:

You could reposition accessories, so monsters could wear masks as masks.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Please don't fix the audio. The quality of the game is inversely proportional to how much you can understand.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
kingdom hearts 3 looks pretty cool so far idk

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:
Man, the posse hasn't done anything in a while. I hope they do another LP soo-

Oh god no I take it back please no don't do this to yourselves!

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

darealkooky posted:

kingdom hearts 3 looks pretty cool so far idk

Who the gently caress even knows

VinnyDonuts posted:

Oh god no I take it back please no don't do this to yourselves!
Calm down, dear

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

Calm down, dear

I just don't want to see you get hurt again.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Geop posted:

$4 for Japanese audio? :staredog: I'm amazed they didn't charge you to turn on subtitles.

They started charging for it? What the gently caress? Though, $4 for a Hope that doesn't make me want to strangle kittens would almost be tempting....

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Would you like to know a forbidden fact about the dlc? It's all garbage on anything higher than easy mode (lucky them) so you pay $4 for a handicap and a cute custom win animation. Aces.

Actually, a chunk of it is strong through most of a Normal run, and there are several items in there that work into the early part of Hard. Which is even more stupid.

DoubleDonut posted:

I played the demo of this and could not for the life of me figure out how the hell the plot could possibly get from where it is at the end of 13-2 to where it is in the demo.

I am excited to find out how this game measures up to the FF13 fanfiction you guys read last time.

Let's just say that the lead-in to every one of the XIII games can be summed up by asking the question "How badly has Lightning already hosed things up this time?"

floor is lava posted:

Already talked to poke about this but you're going to miss a ton of poo poo playing on easy. Bummer.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Difficulty_Level#Lightning_Returns:_Final_Fantasy_XIII

Not especially. There are some items he won't get, but there are a bunch of items that don't drop until Hard anyway. While Normal is actually pretty easy overall, there are times when it slams you face-first into a brick wall of pain and frustration without warning. Playing on Easy will mitigate that significantly without actually losing any content. And if KFJ doesn't value his sanity so chooses, he can always hop into Hard from the Easy NG+.

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

I can't wait to be disappointed by the ending because it was blatantly foreshadowed less than an hour into the game. I think the next update will have Basil Exposition going on about our mission.

The best part is that the cutscenes between days give zero fucks as to what you've actually accomplished, so it's entirely possible for them to make no loving sense until you finally get around to doing the plot they're referencing! Or to give poo poo completely away. God, the story structure in this game is terrible.

I lasted halfway through NG+ before I finally gave up. This is going to be an interesting thing to watch!

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

VinnyDonuts posted:

I just don't want to see you get hurt again.

Well, you know, which would be less painful, this or Sonic: The Lost World?

Actually probably the latter, by being shorter. Oh well!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I started watching the XIII LP in preparation for this. I'm glad you're not doing this by yourself because that sounds like a surefire route to suicide.

IDOLA
Sep 17, 2005

:-)
I am so happy to see you guys LP this. I picked up 13-2 halfway through your LP of that and really enjoyed the battle system as well as seeing you slog through it. I bought Lightning returns a month ago hoping they had fixed the few small issues I had but kept it mostly the same- ahahahahah what an idiot I was.
Anyway now I can tear that hardly-played disc out of my PS3 and watch this instead. Godspeed.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Wait wait, hang on a second.

Wasn't Snow supposed to be stuck in the Coliseum with Gilgamesh and Ultros in XIII-2? How is he in this new city now?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Body double :ssh:

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Wasn't Snow supposed to be stuck in the Coliseum with Gilgamesh and Ultros in XIII-2? How is he in this new city now?

Reasons. Which may be told in time. Or maybe not! That's the glory of FFXIII--you never know if something is ever going to make sense! (usually it doesn't)

I know the game informs you as to why he's where he is, but I don't recall if it explains how he got from XIII-2 to there.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Because nobody from FFXIII deserves a fate as fantastic as that.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Cleretic posted:

Because nobody from FFXIII deserves a fate as fantastic as that.

Not even Sahz?

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

ApeHawk posted:

Not even Sahz?

Sahz is pretty awesome, but we all know Frocobo is the real winner.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

Suzaku posted:

Sahz is pretty awesome, but we all know Frocobo is the real winner.

Frocobo arguably has one of the worst fates. We learned something terrible in XIII-2... Remember Chocolina?

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Shoopuf posted:

Frocobo arguably has one of the worst fates. We learned something terrible in XIII-2... Remember Chocolina?

Oh, yes. I'm well aware. And she's back in this one, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Remember Chocolina? The game hopes you don't, or at least expects that you blocked out of your memorydidn't play XIII-2, or at least you did, but didn't get the true ending. Which is strange considering this game goes off that true ending.

• Locked thread