Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

What, no "Kissed by a Rose" this time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

BearPlayingGuitar posted:

I actually platinumed this game for whatever dumb reason. I enjoyed the battle system and thought it was neat. But as echoed in the thread, you really can't take the plot seriously because of how much it's up it's own rear end.

Also there's a really angry dude who commented like five times on your video and I can't even comprehend why.

Looks like some good old-fashioned trolling to me. Best ignore it.

Also, if the FF writers have some betting pool going for who can craft the most stupid, nonsensical, obtuse plot, I'd say the guy tasked with 13-3 is off to a grand start.

pokecapn posted:

We're only at the end of the second day as far as pre-recorded videos go, so there is plenty of game for you, the people, to put the lettuce in lettuce play. I highly suggest figuring out a way of telling us what colors to make our schemata (maybe look up a schemata you like and hope we stumble across it?), because we aren't inspired enough to tweak all the colors separately. I really want this to happen. I want some good rear end schemata colors.

Two words, friend: fuchsia and lime.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

There's something about having an inquisitor wear retro hipster glasses that feels off.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

gatesealer posted:

So I guess time travel is no longer a thing. At least the game is aware enough to know that Lightning is an emotionless character. I do have to agree with Lightning though, this has to be the most useless god I have ever heard of. He can build a world but not souls, then where did the current souls come from? He can't stop the chaos, but can start over with a new world. How would that help? If chaos is running free wouldn't it eventually get to the new place? Lightning needs to collect the souls, why? Is god so weak that he couldn't just snap his fingers and collect them all?

I think Etro was the god who created life, but it was accidentally? So Creation was basically a team effort, but because all the other gods are horribly incompetent, Bunny Vase decided to subcontract soul retrieval to a couple mortals because they're bound to be better at it than the other gods.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Geostomp posted:

That's nearly every JRPG to ever feature deities of any sort. I can't come up with one where the setting's gods aren't either absent, non-interventionist to the extreme, incompetent, dead (and reincarnated as the main character and/or love interest), or just plain evil. Even the ones with benevolent gods that actually do act usually descend at some point to say that they really shouldn't be involved because everyone needs to stand on their own or something equally trite.

It's actually kind of rare for a JRPG to have gods that are actually good at their jobs.

That's largely due to the nature of the game. If a god happens to be benevolent, meddlesome, and fully able to deal with major problems, then what's a protagonist supposed to do? They couldn't even be the heroes themselves since there'd be no challenge or risk.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

fixelbrumpf posted:

I guess it makes sense that you can't have super snazzy graffix and huge, densely populated areas in a (designed for) PS3 game, but some of those textures and animations seriously remind me of Deadly Premonition or worse, the cardboard liqor bottles near the station didn't even seem to have been cropped properly. Also, there's some seriously questionable graphics design in things like some of those super cluttered HUD elements and even the title screen looks like they had an intern make it or something. Looks like this game indeed might have had a budgeting issue or two. :v:

It's almost like throwing good money after bad means having less of it to go around.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Suzaku posted:

Yeah, FF tends to go off of the Greek/Norse/etc version of gods that can be killed and aren't infallible or omnipotent, even if they pretend really hard to be.

Even pantheon gods usually can't be slain by mortals, though. It's an important distinction.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 17, 2014

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

FeyerbrandX posted:

I thought it was just that Zeus would overthrow him, not kill. I thought the Greek pantheon was capable of feeling pain, being imprisoned, tortured, but not die.

The titans, like Prometheus were immortal but tortured. He was chained to a rock and had his liver eaten daily, but it'd regenerate eternally. I know our livers regenerate fairly fast, but not to that type of damage.

Greek immortals are actually fairly unique in how they cannot die. They can be "imprisoned in Tartarus," though, which is much the same thing. In fact, one of the most common archetypes among pantheon religions is a creation god or goddess braving the underworld to retrieve his/her dead mate. Isis and Osiris, Enki and Inanna, Izanami and Izanagi, Hunahpu and Xbalanque. The archetype is present in Greek myth, too, but in their case it's conducted between the very human Orpheus and Ariadne.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

I think they kept referring to the final boss of Shadow Hearts as "god" or a god. Of course, it was just another freaky creature like most of the monsters in that game. Japan is a lot more loose with their usage of "gods" than Westerners.

The second game has you fight the Demon Princes of Solomon's Key, Asmodeus in particular, and one character unleashes the pent-up torment and hatred built up during the Catholic Inquisitions. There may or may not be an ultimate, omnipotent god, but Shadow Hearts is not afraid to dump in whatever religions it feels like.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

They could have the bar refill if you successfully block an attack. Rogue Galaxy did that, and although the combat system is pretty simplistic, I'd say it was a good idea to keep the action moving.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Perfect-guarding attacks tends to make an enemy's Stagger meter skyrocket. Like that other guy said, guarding and evading aren't really "downtime" maneuvers, they're one more way to gently caress your opponents up.

But as it stands, there are no downtime maneuvers. You have to stand there and wait for the drat bars to refill. That's the problem.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

You switch to a different Schemata and keep the combo going. If you go so berserk that all three bars run out simultaneously, that's poor tactics on your part.

Still, it doesn't strike me as a good design decision to allow the player to run out of actions he or she can take in an action RPG.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

LeafyOrb posted:

In what capacity? It's mostly there so you just don't spam the most powerful abilities the entire time. The gameplay is fast, but it's not meant to play like something like MGR. Strategy is still a key component here, more so then the first two games even. Once you get it used to the battle system it's not even an issue anyway.

I'm just saying that a moment where the player could set down the controller for all the good it'll do is a moment the player isn't engaged in the combat system, and while that's fine in a turn-based game where you're expected to take your time and think about your options, in a game that wants you to pay it full attention while something is attacking you, that's not the best feature. The change could be as simple as making the guard action free and providing a partial or full ATB gage restore on a perfect guard, either in addition to or instead of the stagger gauge boost it's got now.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Ztarlit_Sky posted:

Erh, d'oh. I didn't actually know this, thanks for the info.
So they produced a ton of art assets for basically nothing? That sounds like terrible project management.

Yeah, if anything that alternative is worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Ztarlit_Sky posted:

And deep-fried hairballs sound utterly disgusting.

It probably uses something like shaved coconut to get the consistency of hair without actually using hair.

• Locked thread