Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
If Jim Culver's actions permit, move to Rome and Acquire Assets.

If not, move to 16 and Acquire Assets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Alris posted:

[b] If Jim Culver's actions permit, move to Rome and Acquire Assets.

Just to point this out - everyone's action phase is done entirely before the encounter phase, so yeah, you can't acquire assets there.

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
If I do successfully cast blessing on myself and someone needs a teleport, I may be asking for Kane's special this turn so I can move onto the mystery and teleport someone else.

Of course if the blessing fails I'll just sit here and lick my wounds, and I haven't looked to figure out who might need a ride.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Rest
Move to Himalayas
Fight Cultist
Expedition Encounter

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Let's get this out of the way first.

Stanley casts Blessing of Isis! (Lore-1: 2 4 5 6) Cursed is discarded. Blah blah 1 Sanity blah.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Rest
Move to 17
Research

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Arrion posted:

Well drat. :( It's all the Lightning Gun's fault.
Told you so. :colbert:

Anyway, I'm trading with Stanley to hand out the spell and then traveling to San Francisco. If I manage to improve Observation and get another stat upgrade from a spell, I think we have a good chance on the Special Encounter.

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
Ok, I cheesed it a bit and looked at the Yig special encounter deck. It's 50/50 if I have a good encounter, and I really need a Will advance for both that and closing Gates. So I'm heading toward Rome, although I will stop in London to try and close that Gate

Move to London

Arrion fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 24, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sorry, I was busy with some stuff at the weekend.

Quick note: If Chen wants to trade with Stanley, LI needs to shift. Otherwise she won't be there when Chen's turn rolls around.

Gonna do Kane's shop roll too: (Influence: 1 1 5 5 6 6)

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
Hmm, looks like Chen has to be lead investigator for that to work. But I don't see any other reason to care about order this turn.

Hand lead investigator to Lily Chen

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Chen trades with Stanley, handing off Healing Words, and goes to San Francisco with her train ticket.
Scarborough rests (Hallucinations: 5) and feels much better! In celebration, she heads to space 17.
Withers rests (Hallucinations: 4) and heads to the Himalayas.
Kane heads to 16 and Acquires Assets.
Culver heads to Rome and casts Shriveling. (Lore: 1 3 5 6 6 6) The Shoggoth takes 2 damage.
Stanley moves to London.

Action Queue
- Kane: Spend 4 money.

Encounter Queue
- Chen: San Francisco
- Scarborough: Research
- Withers: Combat -> Expedition
- Kane: City
- Culver: Combat -> Gate
- Stanley: Combat -> Gate/London?

Stelas fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 25, 2014

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Withers has hallucinations too. I'm worried we're using all our good rolls on conditions and we're going to get screwed over by pacts

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
Gate Encounter

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Withers has hallucinations too. I'm worried we're using all our good rolls on conditions and we're going to get screwed over by pacts

4. God drat but you guys have picked up a lot of Conditions. Yig hasn't even started throwing Poison everywhere yet.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Get ready!
Spirit Dagger to Diana Stanley, Revolver to Jim Culver

SEE BELOW

Alris fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 26, 2014

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Get ready!
Also, if anything shows up on the reserves you would like please feel free to speak up, right now I'm playing it by ear as to who would get the most benefit out of each item.

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
It would actually be better to reverse those items. The horror reduction on Elder sign does nothing for me and helps Jim, and the +Will helps me more than anyone else. The +2 strength on the dagger does nothing for either of us.

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
And in terms of immediate impact, I think Jim would prefer the revolver over either of the other items.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Get ready!
Noted, adjusted.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I think the elder sign is better for Culver, the shoggoth is will vs 3 and preventing sanity loss will let him use the axe more safely. The gun is only +1 strength.

The witch doctor should be useful when we have a couple of people stacked on the mystery

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Get ready!
Ok fine, last change.

Spirit Dagger to Diana Stanley, Elder Sign to Jim Culver.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Kane does some stuff.
Reserve reveals:
  • Research Student (Ally, 1): Action: Roll 1 die. On a 5 or 6, gain 1 Clue. On a 1, discard the nearest Clue on the board.
  • Urban Guide (Ally, 4): If you are on a City space, investigators on your space roll 1 additional die when resolving all tests except Gate tests.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TURN 7 - ENCOUNTER PHASE

Status - Turn 7 posted:

Monsters:
  • London: Ghoul - 1/1 HP. Horror: Will+1 vs 1. Combat: Strength vs 2. If you lose Health, gain a Paranoia condition.
  • Rome: Shoggoth - 2/4 HP. Horror: Will vs 3. Combat: Strength-2 vs 2. On a Reckoning, this Monster recovers all Health.
  • Sydney: Dark Young - 5/5 HP. Horror: Will-1 vs 3. Combat: Strength-3 vs 3. On a Reckoning, roll 1 die. On a 1 or 2, advance Doom by 1.
  • Heart of Africa: Cthonian - 4/4 HP. Horror: Will-1 vs 2. Combat: Strength-2 vs 3.
  • The Himalayas: Cultist - 1/1 HP. Horror: Will vs 1. Combat: Strength-1 vs 2. If you lose Health from the Combat test, gain a Poisoned condition.
Investigators:
  • Charlie Kane (Alris) - Health 2/4, Sanity 6/8. Lore 2, Influence 4, Observation 3, Strength 2, Will 2+1.
    Action: Another investigator of your choice may immediately perform 1 additional action.
    When you acquire assets, you may allow other investigators to gain any cards you purchase.
    Bandages: You may discard this card to prevent an investigator on your space from losing up to 2 Health.
    Personal Assistant: Gain +1 Influence. You may reroll 1 die in Influence tests.
    Private Investigator: Gain +1 Observation. You may reroll 1 die during an Observation test.
    Cultes des Goules: Action: Test Lore. If you pass, you may spend 1 Sanity to gain 2 Clues.
    Necromonicon: Action: Test Lore. If you pass, you may spend 1 Sanity to gain 2 Spells.

• Jim Culver (Meinberg) - Health 6/7, Sanity 4/5. Lore 3+1, Influence 3, Observation 2, Strength 2, Will 3. 1 Train Ticket.
    Action: You and each investigator on your space recovers 1 Sanity.
    You and investigators on your space roll 1 additional die in all Combat and Horror tests.
    Axe: Gain +2 Strength during Combat tests. You may spend 2 Sanity to reroll any number of dice during a Combat test.
    Elder Sign: You may reroll 1 die when resolving a Horror test. Reduce the Horror difficulty of monsters you encounter by 1, to a minimum of 1.
    Fresh Fruit: When you rest, you may discard this card to recover 1 additional Health and 1 additional Sanity.
    Arcane Scholar: Gain +1 Lore. You may reroll 1 die when resolving a Lore test.
    Shriveling Spell: Action: Test Lore. If you pass, choose a Monster on your space to lose 2 Health. Then flip this card.
    Dark Pact: On a Reckoning, roll 1 die. On a 1, it is time to fulfill your part of the bargain; flip this card.

• Diana Stanley (Arrion) - Health 6/7, Sanity 2/5. Lore 4, Influence 2, Observation 3, Strength 3, Will 1.
    Action: If there is a Cultist on your space, discard all Monsters on that space or move the Cultist to any other space.
    Reduce the Horror test of Monsters you encounter to difficulty 1.
    Lightning Gun: Gain +6 Strength during Combat tests. Action: You and each Monster on your space lose 1 Health.
    Spirit Dagger: Gain +1 Will and +2 Strength during Combat and Horror tests.
    Arcane Manuscripts: Gain +1 Lore when resolving Spell effects.
    King James Bible: You may reroll 1 die when resolving a Horror test. When you rest, recover 1 additional Sanity.
    Milk of Shub-Niggurath: Action: Test Will. If you pass, you may spend 1 Sanity to recover all Health and improve Strength twice - and then a Monster ambushes you!
    Wither Spell: When resolving a Combat test, you may test Lore. If you pass, gain +3 Strength during that test. Then flip this card.
    Plumb the Void Spell: Action: Test Lore-1. If you pass, an investigator of your choice may move to any space. Then, flip this card.
    Blessing of Isis Spell: Action: Test Lore-1. If you pass, choose an investigator on your space that does not have a Blessed condition to gain one.
    Healing Words Spell: When an investigator on your space performs a rest action, you may test Lore. If you pass, that investigator recovers 1 additional Health and Sanity. Then flip this card.

• Lily Chen (Fat Samurai) - Health 6/6, Sanity 5/6. Lore 2, Influence 2, Observation 2, Strength 4+2, Will 3. 1 Ship Ticket.
    Action: Spend any number of Health or Sanity, and regain an equal amount of Health or Sanity.
    When you improve a skill, you may immediately improve that skill again.
    Carbine Rifle: Once per round, gain +5 Strength during a Combat test.
    Protective Amulet: Gain +1 Will during Horror tests.
    Lucky Rabbit's Foot: Once per round, you may reroll a die.
    Dark Pact: On a Reckoning, roll 1 die. On a 1, it is time to fulfill your part of the bargain; flip this card.

• Trish Scarborough (Barry Shitpeas) - Health 7/7, Sanity 4/5. Lore 1, Influence 3, Observation 4, Strength 3, Will 2. 1 Clue.
    Action: If you do not have any Clues, gain 1 Clue.
    If an investigator on your space spends a Clue to reroll a die, he may reroll up to 2 dice instead.
    .45 Automatic: Gain +3 Strength during Combat tests.
    Holy Cross: Gain +2 Will during Horror tests.
    Enchanted Blade: Gain +1 Will and +3 Strength during combat tests.

• Norman Withers (Indigo Cephalopods) - Health 5/5, Sanity 4/7. Lore 3+2, Influence 1, Observation 3, Strength 2+1, Will 4+2.
    Action: Spend 2 Clues to discard 1 Monster from a space containing a Gate.
    Once per round, you may spend 1 Sanity in place of spending 1 Clue.
    Mystic Bounty Hunter: Gain +1 Strength during Combat tests. Gain +2 Lore when resolving Spell tests.
    Feed The Mind Spell: Action: Test Lore-1. If you pass, choose an investigator on your space to improve 1 skill of their choice. Then flip this card.
    Flesh Ward Spell: Once per round, when an investigator would lose Health, you may test Lore. If you pass, prevent that investigator from losing up to 2 Health. Then flip this card.
    Healing Words Spell: When an investigator on your space performs a rest action, you may test Lore. If you pass, that investigator recovers 1 additional Health and Sanity. Then flip this card.
    Hallucinations: When you perform a rest action, you may roll 1 die. On a 5 or 6, discard this card. On a Reckoning, test Will. If you fail, flip this card.
    Blessed: 4, 5, and 6 count as successes on your tests. If you become Blessed, flip this card instead. If you become Cursed, discard this card instead. On a Reckoning, roll 1 die. On a 1 or 2, discard this card.

COMBAT

Withers faces down a Cultist! Old man fight! (Strength 4, Will 6, Blessed)
    Horror - Will vs 1: 4 5 5 6 6 6. No Sanity loss.
    Combat - Strength-1 vs 2: 1 3 4. 1 Health loss and Poisoned. Cultist is defeated.
Culver faces down a Shoggoth! (Strength 5, Will 5 + Difficulty-1)
    Horror - Will vs 2: 3 3 4 4 5. 1 Sanity loss.
    Combat - Strength-2 vs 2: 2 4 6. Culver loses 2 Sanity to activate the axe: 1 5. No Health loss. Shoggoth is defeated.
Stanley kicks a Ghoul out of London. Do I even need to roll this? (Strength 9, Will 3 + Difficulty 1)
    Horror - Will+1 vs 1: 2 4 5 6. No Sanity loss.
    Combat - Strength vs 2: 1 1 1 1 2 2 4 5 6. No Health loss. Ghoul is defeated.
ENCOUNTERS

Lily Chen

San Francisco posted:

You find the husk of a squid-like creature in a tunnel. Just seeing it terrifies you. (Will-1: 6 6) If you pass, you identify the cthonian; improve 1 skill of your choice as scientists clamour to contribute to its study.
Trish Scarborough

City Research posted:

A man has been bitten by so many snakes in a short amount of time that the venom causes him to burst open after he dies. The sight is horrifying. (Will: 1 5) If you pass, you capture the snakes for study; gain this Clue.
Norman Withers

Expedition: The Himalayas posted:

A horrifying beast suddenly attacks you, almost as if it had stepped right out of your nightmares. Spawn a Monster on your space and immediately encounter it. If you defeat it, resolve the pass effect. If you do not, resolve the fail effect.

A Maniac appears! (Strength 4, Will 6, Blessed)
    Horror - Will+1 vs 1: 2 2 3 4 5 6 6. No Sanity loss.
    Combat - Strength-1 vs 2: 1 1 2. 2 Health loss.
    Withers may discard the Mystic Bounty Hunter rather than take Health loss.
Unable to overcome the threat, you run away and look for a place to hide. (Observation: 1 2 5) If you pass, discard the Monster and retreat Doom by 1.

Doom retreats to 8!
The Maniac is discarded.
The Expedition token moves to The Heart of Africa.
Charlie Kane

Generic City posted:

A group of intimidating Syndicate members demand you pay them for protection. You offer the well-dressed men what you can afford. (Influence: 1 1 2 5 5 5) No further effects.
Jim Culver

The Past posted:

Through the slits in the closet door you see yourself as a small child, sitting up in bed. "Who's there?" asks a frightened voice. You try to calmly persuade your younger self that you're a friend. (Influence-1: 5 6) The child calms down, but eyes you suspiciously. "Listen carefully to what I say," you tell yourself. "It might save your life..." You may become Delayed to gain 2 Clues. Whether you become Delayed or not, close this Gate.

Way to dodge an instakill.
Diana Stanley

Lost Carcosa posted:

Turning the corner, you suddenly find yourself on stage. Other actors speak their dialogue and look at you expectantly. Someone offstage passes you a script, but the text is difficult to interpret. (Lore-1: 1 3 4) The other actors glare at you, waiting for you to speak. You hope that by simply acting with confidence they'll believe it's someone else's line. (Influence: 5 6) No further effects.

:cthulhu: Pausing there for people to use effects, and because it's late. Mythos will happen tomorrow.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Improve will. I'll hang around San Francisco trying to improve observation and then dive right into the Special Encounter the turn after that.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Improve will. I'll hang around San Francisco trying to improve observation and then dive right into the Special Encounter the turn after that.

Is improving one skill, which might not even come up on any given encounter, going to improve your chances more than taking an extra shot at it? You already have a non-zero chance of passing any check even at -1, and if Kane can get us the Urban Guide even better

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Get ready!

Alris posted:

Also, if anything shows up on the reserves you would like please feel free to speak up, right now I'm playing it by ear as to who would get the most benefit out of each item.

This offer still stands. Right now I am thinking:

Research Student: Who cares? Chen, maybe?
.45 Colt Revolver: Kane or Withers
Witch Doctor: Meh. Anyone, but maybe start with Kane for the healing bump. We can Plumb the Void to get it to whoever needs it if someone gets cursed if necessary.
Urban Guide: I kinda want it for myself, but if someone else has use for it I'll pass to them.

Now if only those Fine Clothes would show up...

Alris fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 27, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Is improving one skill, which might not even come up on any given encounter, going to improve your chances more than taking an extra shot at it? You already have a non-zero chance of passing any check even at -1, and if Kane can get us the Urban Guide even better
Quite a leading question in there.

Most of the rolls seem to be at -1, so 2 dice with the rabbit foot if the test hits Lore, Observation (both of which seem to come up much more often than Strength or Influence). That's a 43% chance of failing in both turns, which may or may not have dire consequences each time.

OTOH, Chen improves at twice the speed of everyone else, and can do some stuff in the city to help (like removing unwanted assets, or picking up tickets to improve mobility) which she cannot in the middle of nowhere. Plus the benefits will carry over later turns (I've already failed a gate and an expedition tests due to an Observation test failure, and couldn't go after the Children for fear of it teleporting away, for example).

Which is better? I have no idea, but considering that I'm already in one of the few spots were I can fish for stat increases, it seems a more prudent call to milk it for all it's worth. Ideally, a Feed the Mind and a good encounter results would give me an all 4+ stats (except Influence, we haven't seen many Influence tests, I think), which should give good chances of beating that Special Encounter.

Short answer: I have absolutely no idea of what's better, and Chen's game plan is improving as much as possible to be a late-game powerhouse, so I'm sticking to that.

This will all be a moot point when Stelas draws a reckoning, it triggers my Dark Pact and Chen dies horribly, of course :v:

EDIT:

Nothing that really stands up for me except the Urban Guide. It seems that I have some dead turns coming no matter what, so I can kinda see the Research Student being useful.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 09:57 on May 27, 2014

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Alris posted:

This offer still stands. Right now I am thinking:

Research Student: Who cares? Chen, maybe?
.45 Colt Revolver: Kane or Withers
Witch Doctor: Meh. Anyone, but maybe start with Kane for the healing bump. We can Plumb the Void to get it to whoever needs it if someone gets cursed if necessary.
Urban Guide: I kinda want it for myself, but if someone else has use for it I'll pass to them.

Now if only those Fine Clothes would show up...

Bear in mind the mystery is on a City space, so the Urban Guide will be really useful for anyone taking that on. I think that should be priority #1 for assets.

Fat Samurai posted:

Quite a leading question in there.

Most of the rolls seem to be at -1, so 2 dice with the rabbit foot if the test hits Lore, Observation (both of which seem to come up much more often than Strength or Influence). That's a 43% chance of failing in both turns, which may or may not have dire consequences each time.

OTOH, Chen improves at twice the speed of everyone else, and can do some stuff in the city to help (like removing unwanted assets, or picking up tickets to improve mobility) which she cannot in the middle of nowhere. Plus the benefits will carry over later turns (I've already failed a gate and an expedition tests due to an Observation test failure, and couldn't go after the Children for fear of it teleporting away, for example).

Which is better? I have no idea, but considering that I'm already in one of the few spots were I can fish for stat increases, it seems a more prudent call to milk it for all it's worth. Ideally, a Feed the Mind and a good encounter results would give me an all 4+ stats (except Influence, we haven't seen many Influence tests, I think), which should give good chances of beating that Special Encounter.

Short answer: I have absolutely no idea of what's better, and Chen's game plan is improving as much as possible to be a late-game powerhouse, so I'm sticking to that.

I just think we can't stall too long on this mystery; we do need 3 passes on it, and then we have another mystery to solve afterwards. Also note that you can still acquire assets and train tickets on the mystery space.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Bear in mind the mystery is on a City space, so the Urban Guide will be really useful for anyone taking that on. I think that should be priority #1 for assets.

I agree with this.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I just think we can't stall too long on this mystery; we do need 3 passes on it, and then we have another mystery to solve afterwards. Also note that you can still acquire assets and train tickets on the mystery space.

Oops, you can do stuff in non-major cities, too.

Regarding the 3 strikes: Improving the odds a little will benefit more if we have to do several passes, because of higher chances of a test hitting an improved stat. I know we have to hurry, and that's why I'm going there regardless of the outcome of the San Francisco encounter.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I'm going to pass on the clues. I need to get my sanity up ASAP.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Chen improves Will (twice).

TURN 7 - MYTHOS PHASE

Mythos posted:

Arrests Made in Murder Case! (Yellow: Omen, Reckoning, Gate)

You open the door of your hotel to find several stone-faced policemen. There's been a lot of unexplained deaths and nothing attracts suspicion like being a stranger.

Each investigator on a City space with a Weapon must test Influence. If they fail, they discard 1 Weapon and gain a Detained condition.
The Omen moves to Blue. London's Blue Gate causes Doom to advance to 7.
There is a Reckoning.

Reckoning posted:

The Dark Young is present! (Doom Check: 6)

Thanks to Yig's influence, a Cultist spawns on the Expedition space. Doom advances to 6.

Culver is not yet called to action. (Dark Pact: 3)
Chen is not yet called to action. (Dark Pact: 3)
Withers is not yet called to action. (Dark Pact: 6)
Withers is still Poisoned, though. (Poison: Lose 1 Health.)
Withers is also Hallucinating. (Will: 1 1 4 4 5 6) No problem.
Withers is still, evidently, Blessed. (Blessed: 3)

Gates spawn at Shanghai (Red) and Istanbul (Green).
A Zombie spawns at Shanghai, and a Byakhee at Istanbul.

Kane has no Weapon.
Culver tests Influence: 1 2 4. He discards his Axe and is Detained.
Stanley tests Influence: 1 2. She must discard a Weapon and is Detained.
Chen tests Influence: 2 4 RabbitFoot-5.
Scarborough tests Influence: 3 4 6.
Withers is in the middle of nowhere.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TURN 8 - ACTION PHASE

Status - Turn 8 posted:

Doom: 6
Mythos Deck: 9/16
Mysteries Complete: 1/3
Gate Tokens Remaining: 4/9 (1 in discard)
Gates: Green: Istanbul. Red: Sydney, Shanghai. Blue: London.
Omen Stage: Green -> Blue -> Red -> Blue
Expedition: Heart of Africa
Clues: Rome, Himalayas, Tunguska, 2, 3, 4, 12, 18, 20, 21.
Lead Investigator: Diana Stanley

Yig posted:

• On a Reckoning, spawn a Cultist on the current Expedition space. Then, if there are 2 or more monsters on that space, advance Doom.
  • When 3 Mysteries have been solved, investigators win the game.

Mystery: K'n-yan Unearthed posted:

As an encounter, an investigator on space 6 may explore the underground city of K'n-yan by resolving a Special encounter. At the end of the Mythos phase, if there are 3 Eldritch tokens on this card, solve this Mystery.

Progress: 0/3
Monsters:
  • Istanbul: Byakhee - 2/2 HP. Horror: Will vs 1. Combat: Strength vs 2. If you defeat this monster during a combat test, you may lose 1 Sanity and move 3 spaces instead of resolving an encounter.
  • Shanghai: Zombie - 2/2 HP. Horror: Will vs 1. Combat: Strength-1 vs 2. On a Reckoning, discard this Monster and spawn the Zombie Horde Epic Monster instead.
  • Sydney: Dark Young - 5/5 HP. Horror: Will-1 vs 3. Combat: Strength-3 vs 3. On a Reckoning, roll 1 die. On a 1 or 2, advance Doom by 1.
  • Heart of Africa: Cthonian - 4/4 HP. Horror: Will-1 vs 2. Combat: Strength-2 vs 3.
  • Heart of Africa: Cultist - 1/1 HP. Horror: Will vs 1. Combat: Strength-1 vs 2. If you lose Health from the Combat test, gain a Poisoned condition.
Reserve:
  • Bank Loan: Take this card when Acquiring Assets to get +2 successes and a Debt.
  • .45 Colt Revolver (Item/Weapon, 1): Once per round, you may gain +3 Strength during a Combat test.
  • Research Student (Ally, 1): Action: Roll 1 die. On a 5 or 6, gain 1 Clue. On a 1, discard the nearest Clue on the board.
  • Urban Guide (Ally, 4): If you are on a City space, investigators on your space roll 1 additional die when resolving all tests except Gate tests.
  • Witch Doctor (Ally, 3): Investigators on your space may recover 1 additional Health or discard a Cursed condition when resting.
Investigators:
  • Charlie Kane (Alris) - Health 2/4, Sanity 6/8. Lore 2, Influence 4, Observation 3, Strength 2, Will 2+1.
    Action: Another investigator of your choice may immediately perform 1 additional action.
    When you acquire assets, you may allow other investigators to gain any cards you purchase.
    Bandages: You may discard this card to prevent an investigator on your space from losing up to 2 Health.
    Personal Assistant: Gain +1 Influence. You may reroll 1 die in Influence tests.
    Private Investigator: Gain +1 Observation. You may reroll 1 die during an Observation test.
    Cultes des Goules: Action: Test Lore. If you pass, you may spend 1 Sanity to gain 2 Clues.
    Necromonicon: Action: Test Lore. If you pass, you may spend 1 Sanity to gain 2 Spells.

• Jim Culver (Meinberg) - Health 6/7, Sanity 1/5. Lore 3+1, Influence 3, Observation 2, Strength 2, Will 3. 1 Train Ticket.
    Action: You and each investigator on your space recovers 1 Sanity.
    You and investigators on your space roll 1 additional die in all Combat and Horror tests.
    Elder Sign: You may reroll 1 die when resolving a Horror test. Reduce the Horror difficulty of monsters you encounter by 1, to a minimum of 1.
    Fresh Fruit: When you rest, you may discard this card to recover 1 additional Health and 1 additional Sanity.
    Arcane Scholar: Gain +1 Lore. You may reroll 1 die when resolving a Lore test.
    Shriveling Spell: Action: Test Lore. If you pass, choose a Monster on your space to lose 2 Health. Then flip this card.
    Detained: You cannot move or perform actions other than the one on this card. Instead of resolving an encounter, flip this card. Local Action: Test Influence. If you pass, discard this card.

• Diana Stanley (Arrion) - Health 6/7, Sanity 2/5. Lore 4, Influence 2, Observation 3, Strength 3, Will 1.
    Action: If there is a Cultist on your space, discard all Monsters on that space or move the Cultist to any other space.
    Reduce the Horror test of Monsters you encounter to difficulty 1.
    Lightning Gun: Gain +6 Strength during Combat tests. Action: You and each Monster on your space lose 1 Health.
    Spirit Dagger: Gain +1 Will and +2 Strength during Combat and Horror tests.
    Arcane Manuscripts: Gain +1 Lore when resolving Spell effects.
    King James Bible: You may reroll 1 die when resolving a Horror test. When you rest, recover 1 additional Sanity.
    Milk of Shub-Niggurath: Action: Test Will. If you pass, you may spend 1 Sanity to recover all Health and improve Strength twice - and then a Monster ambushes you!
    Wither Spell: When resolving a Combat test, you may test Lore. If you pass, gain +3 Strength during that test. Then flip this card.
    Plumb the Void Spell: Action: Test Lore-1. If you pass, an investigator of your choice may move to any space. Then, flip this card.
    Blessing of Isis Spell: Action: Test Lore-1. If you pass, choose an investigator on your space that does not have a Blessed condition to gain one.
    Detained: You cannot move or perform actions other than the one on this card. Instead of resolving an encounter, flip this card. Local Action: Test Influence. If you pass, discard this card.

• Lily Chen (Fat Samurai) - Health 6/6, Sanity 5/6. Lore 2, Influence 2, Observation 2, Strength 4+2, Will 3+2. 1 Ship Ticket.
    Action: Spend any number of Health or Sanity, and regain an equal amount of Health or Sanity.
    When you improve a skill, you may immediately improve that skill again.
    Carbine Rifle: Once per round, gain +5 Strength during a Combat test.
    Protective Amulet: Gain +1 Will during Horror tests.
    Lucky Rabbit's Foot: Once per round, you may reroll a die.

• Trish Scarborough (Barry Shitpeas) - Health 7/7, Sanity 4/5. Lore 1, Influence 3, Observation 4, Strength 3, Will 2. 2 Clues.
    Action: If you do not have any Clues, gain 1 Clue.
    If an investigator on your space spends a Clue to reroll a die, he may reroll up to 2 dice instead.
    .45 Automatic: Gain +3 Strength during Combat tests.
    Holy Cross: Gain +2 Will during Horror tests.
    Enchanted Blade: Gain +1 Will and +3 Strength during combat tests.

• Norman Withers (Indigo Cephalopods) - Health 1/5, Sanity 4/7. Lore 3+2, Influence 1, Observation 3, Strength 2+1, Will 4+2.
    Action: Spend 2 Clues to discard 1 Monster from a space containing a Gate.
    Once per round, you may spend 1 Sanity in place of spending 1 Clue.
    Mystic Bounty Hunter: Gain +1 Strength during Combat tests. Gain +2 Lore when resolving Spell tests.
    Feed The Mind Spell: Action: Test Lore-1. If you pass, choose an investigator on your space to improve 1 skill of their choice. Then flip this card.
    Flesh Ward Spell: Once per round, when an investigator would lose Health, you may test Lore. If you pass, prevent that investigator from losing up to 2 Health. Then flip this card.
    Hallucinations: When you perform a rest action, you may roll 1 die. On a 5 or 6, discard this card. On a Reckoning, test Will. If you fail, flip this card.
    Poisoned: When you rest, you cannot recover Health or Sanity; flip this card instead. On a Reckoning, lose 1 Health.
    Blessed: 4, 5, and 6 count as successes on your tests. If you become Blessed, flip this card instead. If you become Cursed, discard this card instead. On a Reckoning, roll 1 die. On a 1 or 2, discard this card.

:cthulhu: Detained cards must be your first action. If you pass, you get your other one. If you fail you're stuck and have to deal with the reverse of the card. However, they are Local Actions - so someone else can come along and do it for you, which is why I'm not immediately rolling them.

Action Queue
- Everyone: 2 actions.
- Stanley: Discard a Weapon. (Gee, I wonder.)

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
Yeah, not much of a choice there. At least I get to keep the lightning gun.

Discard Spirit Dagger

Given that the only other person near me is also detained, I can't see how anyone could break me out.

If I successfully break out of being detained, Rest, cast Healing Words on myself

If someone needs a teleport this turn, I'll need to pass my detained test and Kane to give me an action. It looks like everyone except maybe Kane is in a pretty good spot anyway. But if you do think of something, I'm fine with changing the sequencing so I cast Plumb the Void with my second regular action, then rest with an additional action.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Welp, that doom track is getting closer and we could potentially get down another 3 or 4 points this turn. Screw San Francisco.

Chen can either go to the Mystery Location (in which case I'd like the Urban Guide) or go deal with the Heart of Africa, but that would mean wasting the teleport this turn. I don't see anything else close.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I can head back towards the expedition but I can't get there this turn

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Get ready!
Well things are looking pretty grim! I'm open to suggestions on how to proceed, but right now it looks like my best course of action is to acquire assets and hand off my second action to someone else.

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I can head back towards the expedition but I can't get there this turn

I think we need you to take care of the Shanghai gate. It'll trigger on the next Omen and I don't think Norman can handle it. He's at 1 health and poisoned.

If I break out from being detained (big if), I could port either myself or Lily to the expedition to clear out the cultists. Or to Sydney to try to kill the Dark Young and close the gate.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Should I just do the two Detained rolls now, then, and see what you get?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Yeah, go ahead and roll for me.

Actions:
Check Detained
If possible, rest and use fresh fruit

Encounter:
Clue encounter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
Yeah, please let us know if we break out. No one else is close enough to try for us.

• Locked thread