Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

What is Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning?

It's a 3rd person fantasy action RPG made by the now-defunct 38 Studios. It's unlike many other games in that the very first thing that happens, before you even get control, is your character dies. The rest of the game is dealing with what happens when someone returns back to life, no longer bound by fate like everyone else. The title is very long because Curt Schilling wanted to create an epic fantasy series, and this was supposed to be the game that kick started a franchise.

In terms of gameplay, it is incredibly fun. The action is really fast paced, and if you decide you don't like playing a certain archetype, the game lets you respec for extremely cheap. So at any time you can change up how you play!

Also the game has an extremely troubled history. It was involved in one of the biggest gaming scandals of 2012, and the IP is actually owned by the state of Rhode Island, thus the thread title. More on all that later, though!

Wait, Curt Schilling?

Yes, Curt Schilling. Former pitcher for the Boston Red Sox. Apparently he liked games so much that he wanted to create one. Same story you hear from game-playing nerds all the time, except he had enough money to actually pull it off.

About the LP

Because the game is so open ended with how you can approach it, I'm gonna leave all that to the thread. Yes, you guys will be voting to tell me how you want to see me play this. Every time we get to the end of a zone, I'm gonna put up for vote where we go next and how the character will be specialized.

Because I have to reallocate stat points and such every time the character is respecced, you guys won't be voting on specifics. Instead, the voting will be for the general build like mage, warrior, warrior-mage, etc. I will do my best to show off the various skills, and if there are any requests I would be happy to take those into account. But for the most part, leave the specifics to me.

The first vote won't occur until the end of the second zone. Until that point, the builds all play about the same and there aren't enough points to distribute to really make a difference. Oh and because it would trivialize the game, I will not be abusing gemcrafting and blacksmithing to create gamebreaking armors that leave the character invulnerable. Also joining me in this little endeavor will be Shlapintogan. Both of us have played the game through at least once, though he remembers more about it than I do. So this should be pretty fun!

Spoiler Policy

Please use spoiler tags if you're talking about something we haven't gotten to in the LP yet. The story is not very good, but there are still some genuinely cool moments in the game that are much better if they're left as a surprise!

Also I would really appreciate it if the pages in the thread didn't look like this.

The Videos:

(Ep 01 Direct Link)

(Ep 02 Direct Link)

(Ep 04 Direct Link)

(Ep 04.5 Direct Link)

(Ep 05 Direct Link)

(Ep 06 Direct Link)

(Ep 07 Direct Link)

(Ep 08 Direct Link)

(Ep 09 Direct Link)

(Ep 10 Direct Link)

(Ep 11 Direct Link)

(Ep 12 Direct Link)

(Ep 13 Direct Link)

(Ep 14 Direct Link) ***THIS VIDEO HAS A LOT OF SPIDERS***

(Ep 15 Direct Link) ***SPIDER WARNING CONTINUES***

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Reserved for future use

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Episode 01:

Youtube direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pfq8FuV40c

Also first vote time. See, the character that we just went through the tutorial is only a placeholder. I can certainly stick with her if you guys want, but you have the option to change her!

So if you want to see anything different, I need to know. I need to know specifically name, race, gender, hair color, and eye color.

As for races, there are four choices:

Almain - These guys are your generic humans and get bonuses to persuade, blacksmithing, and alchemy.

Varani - These guys are another type of human and they get bonuses to lockpicking, detect hidden, and mercantile.

Ljosalfar - These guys are your traditional magic elf and get bonuses to dispelling, alchemy, and sagecrafting.

Dokkalfar - Finally, these guys are your sneaky elves, and they get bonuses to persuasion, stealth, and sagecrafting.

The bonuses are only one or two points at most, and don't really affect anything outside of the first maybe half hour of the game. Once you start leveling up, you can put points wherever you wish and the bonuses stop counting for as much.

Quick and dirty skills explanation:

Persuade is convincing an NPC of something, usually a lie. There's an example of this about 2/3 through the video.

Blacksmthing is creating weapons and armor of your own. You can break the game wide open with this. I will not be breaking the game wide open.

Alchemy is creating potions from ingredients you find in the wild.

Lockpicking is the skill of breaking into locked chests and doors. Usually there are rewards for doing so!

Mercantile is the skill of getting a better price when selling to a vendor.

Detect Hidden lets you find more gold when breaking open containers. It also lets you see hidden things on the minimap.

Dispelling is the magical version of lockpicking. Some chests are magically trapped and this is how you get rid of those traps.

Sagecrafting is what I kept calling gemcrafting in the video. It is the skill of using shards to create jewels you can socket into armor. It can be paired with blacksmithing to utterly break the game.

Stealth is the skill of moving around undetected. Higher ranks mean you have more time before an NPC sees you.

We also need to pick the character's patron god, and this is for a permanent bonus to one thing or another.

Almain can choose from the following gods:

God of Fire - A 6% fire damage and 6% fire resistance bonus

God of Wisdom - A 10% mana bonus

God of War - A 5% physical damage and 5% armor bonus

God of Order - A 5% health and 5% mana bonus

God of Justice - A 10% health bonus

Athiest - A 1% bonus to all experience earned

Varani can choose from the following gods:

God of Fire - A 6% fire damage and 6% fire resistance bonus

God of Water - A 6% ice damage and 6% ice resistance bonus

God of War - A 5% physical damage and 5% armor bonus

God of Death - A 1% chance to critical hit and 8% critical damage bonus

God of Mischief - A 6% poison damage and 6% poison resistance bonus

Ljosalfar can choose from the following gods:

God of Earth - A 5% elemental resistance bonus

God of Air - A 6% lightning damage and 6% lightning resistance bonus

God of Order - A 5% health and 5% mana bonus

God of Justice - A 10% health bonus

Dokkalfar can choose from the following gods:

God of Love - A 5% health and 1% critical hit chance bonus

God of Death - A 1% chance to critical hit and 8% critical damage bonus

God of Fate - A 5% mana bonus and +5% mana regeneration per second

God of Mischief - A 6% poison damage and 6% poison resistance bonus

Athiest - A +1% bonus to all experience earned

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 14, 2014

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

PS if you vote for Dokkalfar I'm disowning you.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I remember someone trying to LP this game before, can't wait to see the whole game.

Voting for a VaraniPIRATE who follows NjordirThe Viking God of the High Seas.

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 14, 2014

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Varani is a pretty good way to go. Never played under God of War but it seems like a nice perk and as such you should play it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I need to make a correction... I'm only partially right about the god bonuses.

See all the bonuses I posted above? Those are for Almain. Each different race has a different pantheon to choose from. So gimme a little bit to make some corrections...

EDIT: Made some changes to the list of gods. Lots more choice now!

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 14, 2014

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Alright, then I'll update my vote accordingly.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I've always been kinda interested in the game... Before I read the Steam blurb and realized it was written by someone who thinks plot by R.A.Salvatore is a good thing, especially give how generic the setting seems.
Looking forward to be proven right (or wrong).
Anyway, voting Varani water god worshipper named Svolafbjornquist. Let's rape, pillage, plunder and making horrible Viking jokes.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 14, 2014

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Dokkalfar, God of Fate, no preference for the rest.

Mana regen's always, always good.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Female Dokkalfar, God of Fate, No Hair, Blue Eyes, Blue Skin.

This gives you a cool and eerie look, it's what I eventually rolled with and I never looked back.

Besides, since we just came back from an operation we should be clean-shaven anyway!

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Speedball posted:

Female Dokkalfar, God of Fate, No Hair, Blue Eyes, Blue Skin.

Speedball can't be wrong, I vote for this as well.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Verani, female, God of War is a badass combo

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

SSNeoman posted:

Verani, female, God of War is a badass combo
Yeah sure.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Female Dokkal...Female Dok thing.

Completely apathetic about anything else. I played this game and rather liked it, thought the combat was a bit dull. Cool world though.

Kreittis
Jan 7, 2010

Foxhound? Houndfox.

anilEhilated posted:

Varani water god worshipper named Svolafbjornquist

Sure. Because I'm not going to let totally-not-dark-elf-race win.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Female Dokkal...Female Dok thing.

Completely apathetic about anything else. I played this game and rather liked it, thought the combat was a bit dull. Cool world though.

Best combat is playing a Rogue/Mage hybrid. If it didn't totally go against the kind of character I voted for I'd suggest it for the LP too.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Blacksmith and mercantile are opposed, basically. You dont have any junk to sell if you break it all down for spare parts, and you don't need to craft if you have a lot of money.

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

This is the face of Lawful Good!

Fun Shoe
Female Varani who worships the God of War, preferably with light features (blue eyes, blond hair).

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Speedball's blue elf.

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
Varani warrior-mage. Swing electrified two-handers in electrified plate.

E: God of WAAGH

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Varani Mage-Rouge who worships the God Death basically if you can't backstab it blast it with fire magic. I got this shortly after launch because i thought the combination of big names would make for a great game but what i got was an okay game with a weird plot.

Smornstein fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 15, 2014

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Eumenides posted:

Female Varani who worships the God of War, preferably with light features (blue eyes, blond hair).

Voting this, though mainly the Female human and god of war aspect, the Aryan features are optional :D

I'm actually playing this game right now on my friend's Xbox, I've sunk in at least 20 hours and still haven't left the starting area. This is due in part to my desire to do every side quest before I leave along with my desire to explore as much as I can. . .

That and it took me 20 hours to realize there was a fast travel :suicide:

Seriously though, this game is awesome, its a shame about its legal troubles because I has a lot of really good things going for it, you ability to completely switch up play style and classes, along with mixing and matching combat styles is hands down one of its shining features. My rogue/mage Dokkalfar is a chakram swinging, lightning ball throwing, blink traveling avatar of death in combat.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Münchhausen the atheistic sneaky elf who puts lots of points into persuasion. No gods, because he's met them and he isn't impressed. What, didn't he tell you about that? Well, sit back, my child, and I shall tell thee a tale...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Eumenides posted:

I'm okay with this. Man, this game is painfully generic so far.

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

Life is such a drag when the whole world's falling apart

Smornstein posted:

Varani Mage-Rouge who worships the God Death basically if you can't backstab it blast it with fire magic. I got this shortly after launch because i thought the combination of big games would make for a great game but what i got was an okay game with a weird plot.

This.

I got this game when it was put on PlayStation Plus a couple months back, but I never got around to continuing to play it after my first hour or so. Will be looking forward to seeing what I've been ignoring.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Pierzak posted:

Speedball's blue elf.

assfro
Oct 15, 2005

This game is pretty fun, though I was always tied about respecing. On the one hand, it was nice that you could switch up the combat through a respec - on the other, because skill trainers will level up your passive skills based on your current level with them, you can break the poo poo out of the game without too much trouble. Still, fun game, and a ton of fun exploring for the first few hours. Also, the OP should probably include that this game was written in part by ultra nerd RA Salvatore, and Todd McFarlane on the art boards.

Caros
May 14, 2008

assfro posted:

This game is pretty fun, though I was always tied about respecing. On the one hand, it was nice that you could switch up the combat through a respec - on the other, because skill trainers will level up your passive skills based on your current level with them, you can break the poo poo out of the game without too much trouble. Still, fun game, and a ton of fun exploring for the first few hours. Also, the OP should probably include that this game was written in part by ultra nerd RA Salvatore, and Todd McFarlane on the art boards.

As I understood it wasn't Salvatore's contribution more or less "Okay I looked at your script and added a comma. You can say I am a writer on your team now give me a pile of money?" Or am I off on that?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Caros posted:

As I understood it wasn't Salvatore's contribution more or less "Okay I looked at your script and added a comma. You can say I am a writer on your team now give me a pile of money?" Or am I off on that?

It certainly comes off that way to me. The writing in this game is really…perfunctory. The ideas are solid, they're good bones of a story, they're just not embellished enough.

assfro
Oct 15, 2005

I always got the impression that he consulted in an overarching sort of way, like outlining the plot, rather than writing any/all of the specific dialogue. Same for McFarlane on the art direction.

Edit: which is why both are a bit derivative, but are still well done.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
I am voting for speedball's bald elf lady.

I am excited for this one. I live in Rhode Island and this is still on the news constantly. Its pretty hilarious, with everyone trying to blame each other. I still remember when the game was announced and RI was bragging about how we had CURT SCHILLING's video game company. The whole thing keeps me happy in the morning with my cereal.

I hope Rhode Island makes a sequel.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

MrAptronym posted:

I am excited for this one. I live in Rhode Island and this is still on the news constantly. Its pretty hilarious, with everyone trying to blame each other. I still remember when the game was announced and RI was bragging about how we had CURT SCHILLING's video game company. The whole thing keeps me happy in the morning with my cereal.

I hope Rhode Island makes a sequel.

:smith::hf::smith: sup Rhode Island buddy

I touched on this in the Sandcastle, but the whole story behind the collapse of that studio infuriates me to no end. The temerity, the waste, the smugness, the hypocrisy, and the honest human cost to everyone who worked on this game except for the people who deserved it.

In the past, I've considered making a short video series to catalog the story behind it, but I never had time or energy. But I recently suddenly gained a lot of free time... maybe I will.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Magnetic North posted:

I touched on this in the Sandcastle, but the whole story behind the collapse of that studio infuriates me to no end. The temerity, the waste, the smugness, the hypocrisy, and the honest human cost to everyone who worked on this game except for the people who deserved it.

In the past, I've considered making a short video series to catalog the story behind it, but I never had time or energy. But I recently suddenly gained a lot of free time... maybe I will.

Maybe you could just type it out in a series of posts for us here to read? I really enjoyed this game and despite its flaws I had hoped for more like it. Id like to know more about the studio.

assfro posted:

I always got the impression that he consulted in an overarching sort of way, like outlining the plot, rather than writing any/all of the specific dialogue. Same for McFarlane on the art direction.

Edit: which is why both are a bit derivative, but are still well done.

Bob Salvatore and I talk once in a while ever since I met him at ComicCon San Diego years ago and we ended up going to have a few beers together with some other friends. It was a pretty good time. I could always ask.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Magnetic North posted:

I'd be really interested in seeing a Rhode Islander's perspective on what happened! It's bound to be much better informed than whatever I would type up as a recap on the events.

Everyone Else posted:

Votes

It's been more-or-less 24 hours and I've counted up the votes. I'm counting each separate category as a separate vote. So Speedball's elf is a vote for Dokkalfar, Female, and God of Fate for instance.

code:
Varani: IIIII IIIII II

God of War: IIIII I

Water God: III

God of Death: II

Dokkalfar: IIIII I

God of Fate: IIIII

Ljosalfar: I

Athiest: I

Female: IIIII IIIII

Names:

Svolafbjornquist: II

Münchhausen: I
A pretty clear trend is emerging! Voting will remain open until Saturday when I'll do the next recording.

VV - Changed the viking god vote to reflect water instead!

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 15, 2014

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Viking was the water god actually, but war's almost as good I guess.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Seriously there need to be more female heroes in fantasy settings anyway. Lightning aside (and she's not that great a character) when's the last time you had a dedicated female protagonist in an RPG? I remember Maya from Persona 2, the pink-blazer-wearing pistol girl from Wild Arms 3, and, uh…Xenosaga? Which has its own problems.

EDIT:

anilEhilated posted:

The problem is it's very easy for that to descend into chainmail bikini territory.

Okay, that's true…still, though.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 15, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The problem is it's very easy for that to descend into chainmail bikini territory.
Also more people should vote for names so we don't end up with a vaguely racist viking portmanteau.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 15, 2014

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So really, does Amalur go for 'more bare skin = more defense' for women?

If it does, then I vote for a man named Humakt.

If it's actually nice about it, then I vote for a woman named Babeester Gor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mehuyael posted:

So really, does Amalur go for 'more bare skin = more defense' for women?

If it does, then I vote for a man named Humakt.

If it's actually nice about it, then I vote for a woman named Babeester Gor

Actually we get pretty decently covered if we go for any form of armor in this game. A consequence of the armors adapting to either gender. Still they get kinda curvy for women.

• Locked thread