Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Hey are there gonna be achievements for this campaign? That would own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

ltr posted:

These rules are rough. So last turn second wind used up my action to stay alive(and is pretty useless), now disengage used up my action and to stay alive next turn I can finally drink the healing potion. Disengage should really use up your move or action, not just action.
Re: Disengage

I'm sure I'm stating the obvious here, but basically the idea of it is to escape an attack, not so much to allow you to reposition for another attack, hence why it takes your action. Keeping in mind, you can Disengage half-speed and then Move your full speed, so you can put quite a bit of distance between yourself and whoever is about to kill/eat you.

This just isn't as helpful when your base speed is 25 and everything is halved because of difficult terrain. :sigh:

Lothire posted:

The documents are purposefully vague so it's difficult to tell if I'm doing this correctly. What I'm aiming to do is, should Yorri disengage to the square under me to avoid burning hands, I will use the Help action for two things; feed him my health potion (an action) and offer advantage to his next task, be it a saving throw or an attack. Essentially I'm spending my move/action to Help, which seems to work by the rules.

Edit: I overlooked the granting advantage part, seems I need to be within 5 feet of his target to grant advantage. Since I'd need to move a square above Grundle for that, it'd mean I would have spent my move action. However you want to rule this, I'd like to give feeding Yorri the potion top priority and if I have to sit on my hands for a turn, no big deal.

I think in this case "administering a potion" would fall under Use An Item (an Action), and since Help is also an Action, you couldn't do both on your turn. That's just based on my quick glance at the rules.

More to the point, Yorri should be able to disengage to a space next to you and thus allow you to administer the potion OR Help him.

Getting back to ltr's point, I could see a case made for making "drink a potion" a move or an action.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 28, 2014

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

P.d0t posted:

Re: Disengage

I'm sure I'm stating the obvious here, but basically the idea of it is to escape an attack, not so much to allow you to reposition for another attack, hence why it takes your action. Keeping in mind, you can Disengage half-speed and then Move your full speed, so you can put quite a bit of distance between yourself and whoever is about to kill/eat you.

This just isn't as helpful when your base speed is 25 and everything is halved because of difficult terrain. :sigh:

Disengage is basically shift in 4e which was a move action, allowing you to move 1 space without provoking an OA. Now it's waste your turn doing nothing but moving slightly, even without environment modifiers, it's only 2, maybe 3 spaces of movement. And sure if your goal is to run away it's great. Like I mentioned, two turns of doing nothing other than providing a disadvantage to one of the attackers so far is pretty underwhelming. Going to remember to not use second wind again as I could have at least done something last turn instead of the paltry 3THP gained.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Everything is made substantially less appealing when you consider that each turn could be spent just hitting stuff, which could end it all faster and then healing can be handled by a short rest spending hit dice, which also saves potions/spells. Part of why I figured using my potion on Yurri would also allow me to "Help" him in some way was because then those two things would actually be appealing and tactical when compared to the almighty hit thing option.

As it stands, it does sound more like all I can do is Use Item: Health Potion. Less useful but also at odds with story telling (having someone drink a potion takes an entire round of action? seriously?). That does mean he gets healed though, since I'm the one administering the potion he doesn't need to spend an action to do it. Doesn't really make sense thematically (I guess I'm shoving the potion down his throat to save time!) but mechanically sounds like what the rules suggest. Gotta agree not having a 5 foot shift move is a real killer.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
To clarify, I think Lacerda said Grundle was going to angle the burning hands so that I'm just outside it's reach? So instead of it's origin point being midway down the right side of his square, instead being the top-right corner, angled downward.

Just making sure, since it changes what I'm going to do. If I'm correct, I'm going to stay and attack Hag #3 to soften it up for the spell (I don't think the 18 max damage from the spell can kill it). If not, I'm thinking of charging toward #2, but that would provoke 2 opportunity attacks from the hags I'm in melee with.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Lacerda posted:

Assuming Yorri Disengages and gets the heck out of the way, I'm going to throw Burning Hands all over Hag #3 and Hag #4, shaping the cone so it misses Barnabus.

I think you're good, bro.

He's probably aiming it basically in a straight line in front of him, and down.

Lacerda
Apr 20, 2004

P.d0t posted:

I think you're good, bro.

He's probably aiming it basically in a straight line in front of him, and down.

That's exactly what I'm doing! You're all good.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
Right, I just wanted to make sure that Ryuujin knew that too. From the last post, it seemed like he might have missed that part or didn't think about angling the cone. In my old 4e game, we had a bit of a debacle about blasts being able to originate from sides or points of the user's square, so I wanted to clear that water.

Anyway, going to kill some hags now.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah I misread a previous post and thought it was Barnabus that needed to move out of the way, not Yorri.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Doctor Epitaph posted:

Anyway, going to kill some hags now.

:black101:

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Well he tried anyway. Too bad that so many attack rolls in this fight have been real low.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
I'm just trying to give the Hags a chance to hit me. :smug:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Get on IRC

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
lol Paladin stealth. Clang Clang Clang Clang

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ryuujin posted:

Lizard Marsh

As everyone stops, and Ghepard avoids the charming song, Maechen listens carefully. Then she scans the horizon and informs you, "sounds like the song of a harpy. I only hear one, but there could be more. If you wish we can take a detour to try and avoid them."

In my experience fighting a harpy in 3.5, it was REALLY frustrating if you didn't have/weren't any good with ranged attacks; you were basically forced to ready an action and hope they attacked you (oh joy!) and triggered it, otherwise you lose a turn. Also, I'm expecting AoE-type Dominates and stuff; looks like we're looking at WIS saves for that.

Basically, I'll let you guys judge whether your character would be up for this kind of fight, if not we can ask Maechen to try and find an alternate route. AFAIK, we're not on any timetable in-character, but we might aggro something worse. Who knows :shrug:

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
Just a heads up--I'll be out of town from tomorrow through Monday, so I'll be phoneposting and probably not that frequently. If we run into some combat, my actions are pretty clearcut anyway: attack the nearest enemy, and defend weakened allies and spend my 5 points of lay on hands if need be.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ryuujin posted:

Lizard Marsh

The lizardfolk, for the most part, continue ripping into each other. None have actually fallen this time, but a number on both sides look to be on the verge of death. The one who was shot by Sion however is straight up trying to run away from him.

Machen rushes forward to try and get to the lizardfolk, pushing through the muck as well as she can though even then the muck slows her down enough not to reach them.

Okay it has been two days with no posts so I am moving this forward. Grundle and Yorri are up, then everyone else.
Initiative

19 Ghepard :rolldice:
18 Catalyn :rolldice:
16 Barnabus :rolldice:
12 Sion :rolldice:
10 Lizardfolk
07 Maechen
06 Grundle :rolldice:
03 Yorri :rolldice:

So basically we're waiting to see if Grundle fires an AoE to clean up the battlefield more significantly, but as of right now, Ghepard is fixing to snipe Lizardfolk #4 and Sion is hoping to finish off Lizardfolk #1 before he runs away.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

ltr posted:

It was fun while it lasted

That's what she said. :flaccid:

RIP Yorri

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Thanks for playing for as long as you did Yorri and wherever our bard went!

Updated character sheet to level 2. Newly acquired class: Monk! Banzai!

E: Not sure how HPs will be done but rolled: HP roll: 1#1d8 7(+1 Con Mod = 8)

Lothire fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 14, 2014

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
With the new Basic PDF released, I took the liberty of grabbing the character sheets and filled out one for Sion.

Looks like first level Cleric didn't really change much from the playtests. Made updating pretty easy.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
There's a couple 5e sheets on the WOTC site.

But I can't seem to get Adobe to save a modified version of one because I am computer illiterate.

Also, the alternate one seems to have some error where it likes to put your History number in your Insight number's spot, and vice-versa..

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 7, 2014

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
You probably have to print the filled-out version using CutePDF or something, since I think they intend for you to fill it out and print it out on the spot. I too never really looked into all the fancy things you can do with pdf's nowadays.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
Not that it's really relevant now (especially since we're about to TPK), but I completely forgot to take the Fighting Style class feature when we leveled up. I thought I was pretty meticulous when I leveled up, but I guess not. I took the Protection choice, which lets me use my reaction to impose disadvantage on attacks made toward me or a target within 5 feet of me.

Just letting you guys know in case it comes up later.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Chances are you haven't updated your Adobe PDF Readers in a while. From my research, Adobe use to require Adobe PDF Reader users to purchase the "full" version of the program in order to fill out and save the form. I don't think anyone bought it, as now the upgraded free version (Adobe Reader XI) will allow you to fill in forms and save them. Just hit up the site and make sure you're on the latest version of reader.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
On the topic of Personality Traits, Ideals, Bonds, and Flaws
Here is some info about Ghepard, some you already know, others you don't:

Personality traits:
Cynical, Arrogant, Sarcastic, World-weary

Ideals:
"No women, no kids."

Bonds:
Loyalty is key to any successful operation, and the loyalties that adventurers form are a bond stronger than blood.

Flaws:
Is an rear end in a top hat
Suspicious of all NPCs
Soft spot for greenhorns

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
In reply to p.d0t's last post in the group, I figured we'd be heading south down the stairs, but I also didn't notice the door north of the "mummy room." I'd say let's explore that first. I do want to make sure we aren't being followed by that ooze though.

Also, can we keep in-character events in the thread? I'm finding that I'm coming home to hours of chat messages regarding bats or rats or whatever and not really knowing what's going on, especially when it's half-mentioned in the game thread? I don't want to, like, rain on anyone's fun or be a downer or anything, but it can make for a disjointed read sometimes. We do have this OOC thread to use for more tangible planning as well.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the game still and as you might have noticed, this has been up for two months as of today, so I feel confident we've got a good-enough group to actually finish this instead of languish into TGR obscurity. :unsmith:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Yeah a lot of times we get carried away if most of us are on IRC at the same time.

And Lothire referring to stirges as bats is probably confusing, too. :420:

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
The ooze and how to handle it is what is making this part sloppy, I had no idea what we were/are up against. I'm fine with checking up that northern room from where we are now, long as we keep an eye on the ooze since it sounds like for anything not magical something bad will happen. I'd like to move down the southern stairs after that simply because kiting around the ooze sounds entirely bogus. If we head down that way, maybe it'll realize we aren't an easy meal and just shuffle up to the main entrance and munch on whatever corpses our wyrmling hasn't gotten to.

In regards to the chat, what you're seeing is mostly strategy and rules talk. What happens in the thread IS what happens, nobody should feel a need to stay in chat and get up to speed, just the thread. What you've seen lately is something a bit new; me and pd0t used the chat to roll while the DM was there which helped us move the game along. The thread moves at a snails pace for the most part so anytime we can grease the wheels, we're looking to do that. If we don't post what we do, the DM so far as always covered it for us.

Unfortunately I think that's where some wires got crossed, as pd0t was still in the process of posting when the DM saw his rolls and did the math early (thus concluding the bat/styrgapuss was dead before any attack post was up). It was just a weird mix up, nothing to worry about.

And look they're bats I don't care and I don't wanna type styrgaturdburg every time in chat!

Lacerda
Apr 20, 2004

Due to real life stuff happening I'll likely keep falling further behind in my posting so I'm going to have to withdraw my dwarf (gross). Sorry guys!

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Our mage! We're useless!

Oh well, good luck in your future endeavors.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
Aw, that sucks. Good to game with you while it lasted, though.

Maybe we should open recruit back up for a bit? I wouldn't mind getting another notDefender or notController in the group. The last encounter made me think we've been playing by the seat of our pants so far, and with a dragon combat surely incoming...

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
I'd be interested in playing if you need a pitch hitter.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
At the moment the group has a Rogue, a Cleric/Monk multiclass, and a Paladin. They are currently level 2, and probably not a whole lot away from level 3. They probably need some AoE or multiattack capabilities, but it is up to you what you want to make.

The important parts are that it is probably a good idea to be on irc in #GoDC as much as possible, and being able to post somewhat frequently, some of the people who dropped did so because they weren't really posting very often.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
Posted in the chat, but just wanted to let you guys know that while I'm ok with taking the mace, I also did just get a magic shield, so I don't want to monopolize all the new stuff we get. I'll gladly trade the shield is any of you guys can use it, as my AC is already pretty high as it is.

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013

Zaffre Palatine, Tiefling Hermit Sorceror.

Whycalibur fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 19, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Doctor Epitaph posted:

Posted in the chat, but just wanted to let you guys know that while I'm ok with taking the mace, I also did just get a magic shield, so I don't want to monopolize all the new stuff we get. I'll gladly trade the shield is any of you guys can use it, as my AC is already pretty high as it is.

Off the top of my head, Rogues aren't proficient with either, so.. :feelsgood:

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
I'd be interested. I'll get something up by tonight.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Spoilers are you still building something? Whycalibur you are up in the main thread now.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Now that we're back in Daggerford, I ran back and noted all the stuff we were able to carry back with us. Not really being super precise here but trading it all in at the given values and upping the lower tier coins got us 910 split three ways for 303 gold. This still leaves us with a blue candle, a potion of something (ghepard's got it) and a glowing gem. This assumes we found people willing to purchase gems.

*Also we're heading into the next adventure with this, so level up to 4. Remember Alpha PHB/Basic rules in effect.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Lothire posted:

Now that we're back in Daggerford, I ran back and noted all the stuff we were able to carry back with us. Not really being super precise here but trading it all in at the given values and upping the lower tier coins got us 910 split three ways for 303 gold. This still leaves us with a blue candle, a potion of something (ghepard's got it) and a glowing gem. This assumes we found people willing to purchase gems.

*Also we're heading into the next adventure with this, so level up to 4. Remember Alpha PHB/Basic rules in effect.

"The potion in the vial made from a horn, a hollowed-out devil's horn, is a potion of invisibility."

We also have 2 ritual scrolls (Lesser Restoration, Speak with Dead), the light-emitting gem, and the Underwater Candle, in terms of useful stuff.

By my inventory, we've got:
unicorn
goblet x3
pendant

wizard robe
sun medallion
(not sure we'd sell these 2 but i figure we don't need 'em anymore)

polished jade x2
pink pearls x6
silver-framed hand mirror of elven design (magical? Dunno yet, doubt it)

Including all the coin we scooped (but not including the ones in the lockbox, which were previously distributed amongst the party), I put the value at 1164 gp
Hurray for bookkeeping.

• Locked thread