Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Daggerford is a small but important Sword Coast town where fledgling adventurers can make names for themselves. There’s so much territory around Daggerford to explore, and the town is within reasonable traveling distance of three very important cities: Neverwinter and Waterdeep to the north, and Baldur’s Gate to the south. You are just one such fledgling adventurer. Perhaps you live in Daggerford, perhaps you came to the town to start your own adventure, or perhaps you are simply here for the midsummer festival and the annual games.

pre:
  Every year around midsummer, the population
of Daggerford swells as people come from up and
down the Sword Coast to partake in the town’s
annual festival of games. While merchants hawk
their wares along crowded boulevards, crowds
gather to witness all manner of contests, from
archery and tug-o’-wars to wrestling and pie eating.

But alas, ill weather has dampened this year’s 
festivities. Torrential rain falls from thick black clouds
as wild coastal winds howl through the darkened
streets. Guests pack the local inns and taverns,
hoping for some reprieve while keeping their spirits
high with drinking games and music, but the storm
has been relentless, and there’s no end in sight.

Not surprisingly, the storm has given rise to lots of
gossip about recent events in town, namely the capture
of a tattooed man believed to be a Red Wizard
of Thay. What would a Red Wizard be doing so far
from home, you ask? Well, according to the local
gossip mongers, he was magically disguised and
working for Lord Floshin as a gardener, of all things!
That’s right, the same Lord Floshin whose estate was
attacked and looted by orcs and half-orcs a fortnight
ago. They say the Red Wizard was behind it, and
that’s why he’s doomed to hang after the festival.

It’s a good thing Lord Floshin wasn't home during
the attack. He could’ve been captured and taken
away by the orcs. That’s what happened to his 
servants, gods protect them! One can only imagine
their horrible fate.
-----

* Going to try this again, PbP only this time and hopefully it won't die.
* This is a series of adventures that take you from 1st level to 10th.
* You will build a 1st level Next character following the normal rules in the most recent, 10/14/13, packet.
* If you would rather you can use one of the pre-generated characters, though I will need to update them.
* There are a number of NPCs in Daggerford, if you wish you can have one or more of them as part of your background, perhaps as your mentor. If you wish to do so let me know and I will help you incorporate them.
* I set up an IRC channel at #GoDC if anyone wants help with their character and being on IRC during the game may help.

---
Personalities of Daggerford

Duke Maidwyn Daggerford (human)
Lady Morwen Daggerford (human, elder sister of the duke)
Sir Isteval, Retired Purple Dragon Knight (human paladin of Amaunator)
Sir Darfin “Longwalker” Floshin, Lord of House Floshin (High "Gold" Elf)
Darrondar Gweth, Priest of Tempus (human, Darrondar can serve as a mentor and trainer to a player character cleric.)
Delfen Yellowknife, Ancient Wizard (human, Delfen can serve as a mentor and trainer to a player character wizard)
Derval Ironeater, Blacksmith (dwarf)
Kelson Darktreader, Master of the Hunt (half-elf about 200 years old)
Filarion Filvendorson, “Retired” Thief (wood "moon" elf half-brother to Kelson, Filarion can serve as a mentor and trainer to a player character rogue)
Luc Sunbright, Priest of Lathander (human, Luc can serve as a mentor and trainer to a player character cleric)
Trista the Shadowed, Court Wizard (human, nearing 100 years old, Trista can serve as a mentor and trainer to a player character wizard)
Hadeshah, Priest of Chauntea (human, Hadeshah can serve as a mentor and trainer to a player character cleric)
Sherlen Miller, Commander of the Militia (human, Sherlen can serve as a mentor and trainer to a player character fighter)

---
Places of Daggerford

The Ducal Castle Where the Duke, and some 50 people, live. The gates are always open and the castle has its own blacksmith and stables.

The River Quareter mainly inhabited by people who make their living on the river including fishers and some merchants. This is also where Derval's Smithy is located. As well as the Shrine of Tempus (Table of the Sword) which is located right next to the town barracks.

Money Quarter is where the wealthiest people in Daggerford live. Directly below the ducal castle. It is a district of larger houses surrounded by little yards. Wealthy merchants who can afford a home apart from their place of business live here and a few minor nobles from Waterdeep have small townhouses here as well. This is where Darfin "Longwalker" Floshin's Townhouse is located.

The Caravan Quarter consists of primarily wooden buildings, mostly hotels and shops with a largely transient population. It is nearly deserted during winter when the Caravans aren't moving. The Lady Luck Tavern is here. A unique feature of this tavern is a large stone column set in the middle of the floor inscribed with the unique symbols of patrons who have died in battle or diseappeared on a quest. Any toast given in the tavern must include a libation to "those who have fallen before us." The Shrine of Tymora is also in this quarter. Its wooden walls, damaged by fire, were replaced by dwarven stonemasons with walls of sturdy stone. Continuing a long tradition the local priest of Tymora is a halfling named Curran Corvallin, though not a cleric he merrily blesses those who come to the shrine in hope of good fortune and is much beloved in town.

The Farmers' Quarter is mostly occupied by farmers who till the soil. Some have small herds of cattle and sheep kept in small pens, and others have chickens in their yards. This quarter is noisy and smells strongly of manure. Chauntea's Temple is a large building with an open courtyard in the middle, lush with plants, and is the center of Chauntea's worship in Daggerford. Its chief priest Hadeshah has three young assistants to help her in the frequent tasks of blessing plowed fields, growing crops and rich harvest. These assistants are more often found in the fields north of town than in the temple proper, while Hadeshah rarely leaves the temple. Cromach's SMithy established by a human blacksmith named Cromach over a century ago is now owned and run by a dwarf named Tholvar Cragjaw, a distant cousin of Derval Ironeater. Happy Cow Tavern a pleasant tavern that serves a clientele of farmers and townsfolk and is a watering hole for the town's halflings perhaps because the tavern was first founded by a halfling retired from adventuring. Jerdan's Smithy run by Jerdan Went, Daggerford's only human blacksmith, who strives to compete with Tholvar Cragjaw by offering inferior goods at lower prices. The Marketplace is a large open area that houses the market every five days, six times a month. Farmers and small merchants bring their goods to the market and sell them from ram-shackle booths. River Shining Tavern is the main entertainment center for the nobility of the surrounding lands and the major notables of Daggerford. The duke and his sister have been known to eat here on occasion, and the main hall of the tavern doubles as the meeting room for the Council of Guilds.

The Commons takes up almost half of the area enclosed by the town walls, is kept purposely clear as an emergency pasture for the farmers' cattle and sheep. When no trouble threatens the town, the duke's horses pasture here. This land is owned by the duke and leased to the town. Delfen's Tower was under construction when Delfen the Wizard first came to Daggerford, he paid the town a goodly sum to take over the tower in exchange for swearing to keep the town safe from its vantage point on the hillside. Which he did until he disappeared during the Spellplague. In the century since the duke's guards have reclaimed the tower. The Stables are a general livery stable available to the entire town. Militia horses and the water carriers' horses are kept here, along with personal horses belonging to people living in the money quarter. The Temple of Amaunator (Lathander), though the prayers in this temple are addressed to the sun god Amaunator, continues longstanding traditions of the worship of Lathander who is said to have transformed into Amauntor shortly before the Spellplague. The ducal family worships at this temple, the largest in town and the only one to share the hillside with the castle.

If you need more info on one of them let me know.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
The packet is more or less the same as the Dead in Thay one. I am unsure if there were actually any changes made between the last public playtest packet and the interim packet for Dead in Thay. Your background does not have to be super detailed, though I would like some thought put into it. It would probably help if you came up with why you are in Daggerford. Whether you are a local, or came for the festival, or some other reason.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Pregen Dwarf Fighter likely spent 2 Feat/Ability Score Improvements on Strength, so subtract 4 Strength gives you 16. Trying to count up the point buy looked like it was off by 1 so I added another point to Dexterity.

pre:
Your Name Here
1st-level Medium Hill-Dwarf Fighter
Armor Class  18 (chain mail and shield)
Hit Points 14 (1d10 Hit Die)
Proficiency Bonus  +1
Speed  25 ft.
Alignment  Lawful Good
Languages  Common, Dwarvish 

ABILITY SCORES								
Strength	 16	(+3) (Add proficiency to saves)
Dexterity	 13	(+1)
Constitution	 16	(+3) (Add proficiency to saves)
Intelligence	 10	(+0)
Wisdom      	 13	(+1)
Charisma	 08	(-1)

ATTACKS									
Melee Attack: Battleaxe (+4 to hit; 1d8+3 slashing, Versatile 1d10+3)
Melee or Ranged Attack: Light Hammer ((range 20/60)); +4 to hit; 1d6+3 bludgeoning)

SKILLS (add proficiency bonus to related ability checks)		
Proficiencies
Athletics, Intimidation, Perception, Survival

RACIAL TRAITS
Darkvision:  You can see in darkness within 60 feet of you as if it were dim light. 
When you do so, your vision is in black and white.
Dwarven Resilience: You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you 
have resistance against poison damage.
Dwarven Toughness: Your hit point maximum increased by 1 (included above), and it 
increases by 1 every time you gain a level. Additionally, whenever you roll Hit Dice during
a rest, you regain 1 extra hit point for each Hit Die you roll.
Stonecunning: You have advantage on any Intelligence (History) check related to the 
origin of particular stonework. Additionally, when exploring underground environments, you 
cannot become lost.

CLASS FEATURES
Fighting Style (Protection): When a creature 
that you can see attacks you or a target within 5 feet 
of you, you can use your reaction to impose disad-
vantage on the attack roll if you are wielding a melee 
weapon, a shield, or both.
Proficiencies: Add your proficiency bonus to 
attack rolls you make using martial weapons and 
simple weapons (included in “Attacks”). You also 
add your proficiency bonus to ability checks made to 
use mounts (land) and your skills (noted in “Skills”), 
as well as to your Strength and Constitution saving 
throws (noted in “Ability Scores”). You also have pro-
ficiency with all armor and shields.
Second Wind: As an action, you can gain tempo-
rary hit points equal to 1d6 + your fighter level. These 
hit points can exceed your hit point maximum, and 
they cannot be regained. If you take damage, these 
hit points are lost first, and they go away after 5 min-
utes. Once you use this feature, you must complete a 
short rest or a long rest before you can use it again.

EQUIPMENT								
Chain mail, shield, battleaxe, light hammers (4), potion
of healing, clothes, healer’s kit, backpack, bedroll, belt 
pouch, crowbar, hempen rope (50 feet), lucky charm, 
mess kit, pitons (10), playing cards, rations (4 days), spade, 
waterskin, whetstone, 12 gp, and 3 sp.

Load: ??/?? 

Background: Soldier
Military Rank: You have a military rank from 
your career as a soldier. Soldiers loyal to your former 
garrison still recognize your authority and influence, 
and they defer to you if they are of a lower rank. You 
can invoke your rank to exert influence over other 
soldiers and requisition simple equipment, horses, 
and vehicles for temporary use. You can usually gain 
access to friendly military bases where your rank is 
recognized.
Proficiencies: You have proficiency with playing 
cards and vehicles (land), so you add your proficiency 
bonus to ability checks you make using them.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
You can custom build a background, though yeah it would probably be for the best to use one of the traits that currently exists.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Charisma may be useful, but you are probably leaving town before you can make too many skill checks.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Okay P.d0t can you write out what you selected for your Background? Trying to look for underlined things it looks like you don't have enough proficiencies/languages.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Lacerda posted:

I'd like to have Delfin Yellowknife as my mentor and trainer and life coach...and y'know, if he has some kind of accident...he's an ancient wizard after all, these things happen.

Delfen’s name of Yellowknife might come from the gold-trimmed magic dagger he bears—or it might not. He is swarthier and shorter than the usual in the Daggerford area, but has an agreeable and easy manner. Though he is shrouded in mystery, he is quite amiable and always ready to help the people of Daggerford. Delfen frequently takes on students and has three or four apprentices in constant attendance.

You could easily have become one of his apprentices. Not sure if you have any idea how old he is, or if he appears to be ancient. He is in fact rather old, but no humans and few nonhumans in town are old enough to remember him from the last time he lived in Daggerford, before the spellplague. And no one knows why he seems to have not aged since then.

No problem with the name really, and while Dwarf may not get a bonus to Int it is hardly suboptimal for Mage. In fact it can get Heavy Armor Mastery which is quite nice on a Mage.

ltr posted:

I know nothing of DnD Next other than the few minutes I spent looking at some of the pages from the Dead in Thay linked documents. But since the Team Murdersticks game looks like it's dead, I'm kinda looking for a new D&D game. I'm slammed with work for the next week but am interested.

If Ryuujin wants to delevel the Dwarf Fighter, I would play it. I can manage to get a background up by Sunday or Monday.

I downleveled a Dwarf Fighter from the pregens for you if you want to copy it and write up a background or something, in the post right after your request.

Doctor Epitaph posted:

Here's my guy. I'll add a backstory and picture later tonight when I get back in. I'd like to connect him to Darrondar Gweth in some way, maybe old war buddies or whatever. If that's cool, I'll probably switch his background to Soldier to represent that, but it's up to you.

Used to be a soldier in Waterdeep and came to Daggerford after an ill-fated skirmish that left most of his company dead. Though many priests of Tempus are interested in stirring up war for its own sake, Gweth is more devoted to honoring the memory of his fallen friends. In this, his attitude is very much in keeping with most of the rest of the town, and though he rarely leads more than a handful of people in the worship of his god, he is well liked and respected in Daggerford.

Darrondar Gweth is a middle-aged man who has not lost his warrior’s build even as his temples have grayed. He wears a battered breastplate over dark gray robes lined with crimson. His blue eyes and the wrinkles around them reveal the grief that consumes him.

------------------

Also I am hoping the IRC channel will get used more often, as it is a good way to talk things over before posting, make plans, and such.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 20, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Okay unless anyone is still working on a character I may start soon. But first where in town are you likely to be at the start, and what are you doing? Also I would like it if each of you could produce an image of your character, or better yet a 128x128 token that I can use.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
The Game Thread is up!

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
No problem. Sounds like it gets you some more gold and carrying capacity.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
That will work if Sion does not want to use up a spell slot.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah I misread a previous post and thought it was Barnabus that needed to move out of the way, not Yorri.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Well he tried anyway. Too bad that so many attack rolls in this fight have been real low.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
At the moment the group has a Rogue, a Cleric/Monk multiclass, and a Paladin. They are currently level 2, and probably not a whole lot away from level 3. They probably need some AoE or multiattack capabilities, but it is up to you what you want to make.

The important parts are that it is probably a good idea to be on irc in #GoDC as much as possible, and being able to post somewhat frequently, some of the people who dropped did so because they weren't really posting very often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Spoilers are you still building something? Whycalibur you are up in the main thread now.

• Locked thread