Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
update: birds continue to be awesome

second update: raptors continue to be the best of birds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

Our bird brother has a chipped beak. Someone call a medic.

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.

:wotwot:

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
crows seem pretty cool and never really seem bothered by anything. they just eat, make noise, and play parlour games all day...sounds good to me!

also what is the name of the bird in new england that sings around dusk and always goes like 'who-who wooooo wooooo' I love that bird but i could never figure out what it is but it is definitely one of the greatest sounds of summer.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 25, 2014

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Wayside Bazaar posted:

crows seem pretty cool and never really seem bothered by anything. they just eat, make noise, and play parlour games all day...sounds good to me!

also what is the name of the bird in new england that sings around dusk and always goes like 'who-who wooooo wooooo' I love that bird but i could never figure out what it is but it is definitely one of the greatest sounds of summer.

Crows are very cool. Could your phantom bird be a red wing blackbird?

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIniVfY-ptg

quote:

Brenden Musca
1 month ago

And this is why i love pelicans, if only that pigeon was actually a black person

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

Wayside Bazaar posted:

Sounds like a Mourning Dove to me! :)

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Captain Clown posted:

Sounds like a Mourning Dove to me! :)

yes! :glomp:

Luvcow posted:

Crows are very cool. Could your phantom bird be a red wing blackbird?

actually maybe this too...going to have to sit outside now and do some research

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 25, 2014

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Most likely the dove ya

Mourning dove
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/mourning_dove/sounds

Redwing blackbird
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/red-winged_blackbird/sounds

Barred owl
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/barred_owl/sounds

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

naem
May 29, 2011

I'm drawing

It's hard

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
osprey are awesome raptors

they're all over the place too, it's sort of uncanny. they hang around and eat fish everywhere except antarctica.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
I AM LOOKING FOR A BIRD GIF

IT WAS FROM MAYBE 2006 OR EARLIER INTERNET, BACK IN THE MIDDLE AGES OF BIRD GIFS

IT DEPICTED A KIWI BIRD (OR SIMILAR BIRD) RUNNING AROUND A KANGAROO (OR WALLABY). THE WALLABY WAS EATING A NUT OR FRUIT AND THE KIWI BIRD RAN ONE OR MORE CIRCLES AROUND THE WALLABY, WHO EYED THE KIWI BIRD WITH UNCERTAINTY. THE BIRD THEN COMPLETED A LOOP AROUND THE WALLABY AND STOLE HIS FRUIT THEN RAN OFF. THE WALLABY WAS LEFT LOOKING DEJECTED AND SAD. THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE GIFS. IF YOU HAVE OR KNOW WHERE TO FIND THIS GIF, PLEASE POST IT IN THIS THREAD. THANK YOU.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
gently caress yes a home for me!!

...er, I used to be Currawong, which is the bird in my avatar. Skeleton GBS wreaked havoc on me twice.

I love birds more than anything. I've had several jobs as a field assistant to studies of bird behavior through various universities. I literally got paid (barely) to hike around and look for/stare at birds all day. One of them even involved banding/measuring baby birds. :3:

I love vultures. Just LOOK at them:

One time I was sitting on a hill on a spring morning, waiting for my study species to show up. They were nowhere to be seen, so I watched a turkey vulture wheel around pretty much across from me. I got my scope on it, and as it turned, I was able to see the sunlight shine through its nostrils. No septum! You can see through it!

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
caw caw. caw caw *spreads wings, flys into the blue sky and slowly disappears over the horizon*

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNEFoL8nQHE

what everrrr

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLsKlqiyuX0

Are birds ALWAYS good?? Maybe sometimes... they are bad...

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

Carol Pizzamom posted:

I AM LOOKING FOR A BIRD GIF

IT WAS FROM MAYBE 2006 OR EARLIER INTERNET, BACK IN THE MIDDLE AGES OF BIRD GIFS

IT DEPICTED A KIWI BIRD (OR SIMILAR BIRD) RUNNING AROUND A KANGAROO (OR WALLABY). THE WALLABY WAS EATING A NUT OR FRUIT AND THE KIWI BIRD RAN ONE OR MORE CIRCLES AROUND THE WALLABY, WHO EYED THE KIWI BIRD WITH UNCERTAINTY. THE BIRD THEN COMPLETED A LOOP AROUND THE WALLABY AND STOLE HIS FRUIT THEN RAN OFF. THE WALLABY WAS LEFT LOOKING DEJECTED AND SAD. THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE GIFS. IF YOU HAVE OR KNOW WHERE TO FIND THIS GIF, PLEASE POST IT IN THIS THREAD. THANK YOU.

Hello friend I have found your gif:

May this bring you joy and good fortune :)

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPTXVqETBM4

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

you were warned posted:

gently caress yes a home for me!!

...er, I used to be Currawong, which is the bird in my avatar. Skeleton GBS wreaked havoc on me twice.

I love birds more than anything. I've had several jobs as a field assistant to studies of bird behavior through various universities. I literally got paid (barely) to hike around and look for/stare at birds all day. One of them even involved banding/measuring baby birds. :3:

hello friend, i too love birds more than anything

i have a piece of paper that says master falconer, but it never actually earns me any money so i think you win. birds are still the best though. :3:

both vultures and your passerine av are super cool

here are more raptors!! kestrel, sparrowhawk, and white-tailed eagle, respectively

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6doubJhiK58

(this is the best youtube channel by the way)

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

BloodWulfe posted:

i have a piece of paper that says master falconer, but it never actually earns me any money so i think you win. birds are still the best though. :3:

You should rent your falconry services to people who want to get rid of pigeons/other pests. Win-win for everyone but the pigeons.

unrelated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_vFyvECYoQ

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Birds killing birds...

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Natures making GBS threads kings

One perched on our boat. People put little spinning bars, plastic bags, strings, etc. to keep them off their boats and docks but the seagulls don't care. If you're really unlucky they cover your seats with super corrosive seagull poo poo before they fly off.

naem posted:

I'm drawing

It's hard

Can we see?

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

BloodWulfe posted:

update: birds continue to be awesome

Love that pic. The bird and the vegetation just look like that picture could have been taken millions, and millions of years ago.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33DWqRyAAUw

naem
May 29, 2011

Luvcow posted:

Can we see?

ok (not a bird)

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgEkDWRb9IM

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Zilkin posted:

Love that pic. The bird and the vegetation just look like that picture could have been taken millions, and millions of years ago.

It's part of an awesome series by Simen Johan, but the animal and environment are from two different photos edited together.

BIRDS

merlin, goshawk, gerfalcon, and boreal owl, respectively

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
im gonna plant these stickers all around your feeders, idiots!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i was driving home the other morning and i saw a big bird and a little bird flying around together and i thought it was really pretty until i realized that a hawk had found some breakfast but songbirds poo poo everywhere so his prey probably had it coming

birds own but i can never watch cool bird vids because my gf was chased by a chicken when she was little and now can't stand looking at anything w/ feathers unless it's plucked and on a plate

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
I definitely heard the loud scream of some sort of raptor bird in the distance outside my window when attempting to fall asleep last night, it more than made up for not hearing my beloved mourning dove/red winged blackbird all weekend.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

naem posted:

ok (not a bird)

Very nice beetle

Lamebot posted:

im gonna plant these stickers all around your feeders, idiots!

I've seen birds taken at the feeder a number of times, ominous shadow followed by a puff of feathers. Also inadvertently stopped it from happening by walking out at the wrong time and scaring away the hawk, usually a coopers or a sharp shinned. We also have tons of red tailed hawks but they most eat squirrels and rabbits.

Also: an ostrich

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Post yo own birds

This is Maru. He loves komatsuna leaves, sitting on the rack above the sink and chatting, and humping anything soft and brightly-coloured.

Poor guy just went through a really tough moult. He went all quiet and stayed in his cage for a week, and now his head is all spiky and stupid. Gonna look good when it grows out though :parrot:

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Weatherman posted:

Post yo own birds

Maru is adorable. :3:

I already posted a few of mine but here's Dämmerung chillin'

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Thank you!

In other bird news, the sparrows swallows are nesting at the moment. And there's one cake shop near the train station that has a nest under its awning every year. I always stop in to look at them on my way home. Here they are tonight:

They seem to have confused the light on the phone for their parents :3:

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

You sure those are sparrows? The nest and their feathering makes me think they may be barn swallows. :3:

• Locked thread