Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

BIRD FIGHT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Zzulu posted:

what is the difference between a crow and a raven??

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Crow_vs_Raven

thanks internet

I've developed a hobby interest in birds, so, off the top of my head: Size is the main difference - ravens are much larger. Ravens have a fluffy black feather part at their neck, crows don't. Otherwise, hard to tell the difference, especially at any distance. Fun fact - crows hate ravens! Ravens don't give a poo poo.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Luvcow posted:

Same. Avid bird feeder watcher, we have over 40 types we may see daily here on the coast south of Boston. Audubahn field guides stress this. Shape and size first, then color and pattern.

Edit: shelled sunflower is the best but if you start a feeder don't stop, ever.

LOL. Same. I've got two bird feeders now, and I'm getting a bit obsessive - I've got a checklist of all the birds whom I've identified. Sunflower seeds do seem the favorite here too. I just tried a seed/nut mix and the birds literally picked out all the good stuff and left the yellow millet.

That said, a crew (6-10) of bluejays just showed up, and I don't like them. They take over the bird feeders, scare all the other birds away, and I can't keep them away.

Advice? I'm thinking of killing one and leaving its body as a warning to the others, but I know this is wrong. Right?

Rose breasted grosbeak is super cool and chill.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Oh, and also, I just picked up the best bird book, since 1. It's state specific, and I don't have to flip through hundreds of pages of birds that live in the Florida everglades who I will never see in Maine, and 2. It's organized by color of the bird - so if you see a yellow bird, flip to the yellow section. It's got great big pictures that are super useful.

I have the Sibley guide to birds of Eastern America, and it's great, but sometimes its hard to get a certain identification, since there's so many choices, and just drawings.

Too many drat sparrows.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

We had a big grey outdoor tiger cat that started a feud with some bluejays, they harassed him when he went outside. He caught and killed one in retaliation and then got dive bombed repeatedly, they took a chunk of skin off his head. We had to keep him inside for a while.

So you're saying my idea of killing one and leaving the body as a warning ain't gonna work with this gang?

I need to kill them all then?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Seems like it's pretty sweet being most birds. Fly wherever you want. Plenty of food. Lots of ladies. making GBS threads on things. Sounds like a blast.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Can parrots be trained not to poo poo everywhere?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

onedayholiday posted:

BIRD CREW UP IN THIS, BITCH

Bird.

(said instead of "Word").

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

original bird crew representing

Hail feathered fellow!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Gorillas and birds, coming together. Brings a tear.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cucking Mama posted:

what's the biggest irl bird?

By wingspan? I think it's an eagle from Australia. Golden Eagle?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Luvcow posted:

good morning

Is that a Kingfisher?

Strange looking birds. Their heads look they were meant for a different bird.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I put up a new bird feeder two days ago and it was like bird loving mardi gras. Seriously, all the backyard creatures lost their poo poo for a day - even though it's the same pole, the same squirrel baffle, the same bird seed, but wow! A new feeder!

Literally, all the birds and squirrels went loco for a day, and then today, hut! Back to normal.

It was odd.

Confession: I spent about 4 hours total the last two days watching my bird feeder.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Luvcow posted:

Same. loving love those goofy little fuckers

I love them all except the Blue Jays. But I have to learn and love even them, it seems. I've no other choice, other than to feed no birds.

And that's not acceptable.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Luvcow posted:

All birds welcome

Blue jays lead the charge on ganging up on coopers and sharp shinned hawks sometimes. Sometimes it's
red winged black birds or crows.

Whatever. I have a bird paradise until those bastards show up and scare off everyone else. Some days they take over the feeders completely, all day. It's lame.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Luvcow posted:

Ya they are real assholes I can't really defend that. Really loud and annoying calls too. Nice blue color though.

I was more horrified when i realized most of the bird houses I'd put up for the finches, chickadees, nuthatches etc. were being used by house sparrows to help grow a fresh crop of invasive birds. And sparrows are really fun to watch.

I got a new feeder specifically to thwart the Blue Jays, and so far I don't know what to think. Day 2 featured a 14 hour assault by at least 6 blue jays that was relentless. All my old tricks of scaring off blue jays did little on this day - another super odd bird behavior due to the new feeder.

Today, however, I've not seen a single Jay all day. So maybe the new feeder works.

For reference, I have the following main visitors: Chickadees, American goldfinch, purple finch, junco, indigo bunting, rose breasted grosbeak, and on the ground the mourning dove, the junco, the white throated sparrow, and the eastern towhee.

This community of birds gets along just fine at the feeders, until the Jays show up, and it's like a drive by shooting at the mall.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Luvcow posted:

Really beautiful bird, there's one in my hometown that just kinda wanders around the local trails

There were wild peacocks in the ruins of Knossos on the island of Crete. It was Hella cool.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The best bird.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Birds killing birds...

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I've got migrant Phoebes that come and go in the Summer, and they're a ton of fun to watch. They perch on poles on my porch, tail flicking, then dart quickly out in a circle, nab a bug, and fly back to their perch.

They keep this poo poo up all day!

I've also had a hummingbird get right in my face the last two days, like he wants to talk or something.

Sorry little dude! I don't speak Humming.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Heh. I put out a Hummingbird feeder, and I'm planting some annual flowers today. :)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Luvcow posted:

Started getting mine out about a month ago, growing season is short enough south of you here in mass. We get a ton of these little guys, Rufous bellied hummingbird. You hear a little stealth weedwacker and bam, hummingbird appears in front of you for a few moments and then cruises off. Lucky to have neighbors who plant a lot too.

That was the guy who's getting in my face.

I don't know why a Hummingbird would come up here. Dumb idea.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Can birds be "potty" trained? That is, say you get a parrot, can you train it so it only shits in its cage, and not all over your living room or shoulder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I put up a hummingbird feeder and wow! What fun. I've got a roving population of about a dozen hummingbirds who hit the feeder, and their dynamics are awesome. So many fights - and man do these guys work at it!

• Locked thread