Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
In the alternative universe where the other team advances, who will win the NBA title
This poll is closed.
Nets 10 4.55%
Wizards 64 29.09%
Trailblazers 42 19.09%
Clippers 104 47.27%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

And so after a long month we end up with the top 4 seeded teams remaining in the playoffs.

Eastern Conference Finals
Indiana Pacers vs. Miami Heat
Game 1: MIA at IND | Sun., May 18, 3:30 PM ET | ABC
Game 2: MIA at IND | Tue., May 20, 8:30 PM ET | ESPN
Game 3: IND at MIA | Sat., May 24, 8:30 PM ET | ESPN
Game 4: IND at MIA | Mon., May 26, 8:30 PM ET | ESPN
Game 5: MIA at IND | Wed., May 28 | ESPN | If Needed
Game 6: IND at MIA | Fri., May 30 | ESPN | If Needed
Game 7: MIA at IND | Sun., Jun. 1 | ESPN | If Needed

Western Conference Finals
San Antoni Spurs vs. Oklahoma City Thunder
Game 1: OKC at SAS | Mon., May 19, 9:00 PM ET | TNT
Game 2: OKC at SAS | Wed., May 21, 9:00 PM ET | TNT
Game 3: SAS at OKC | Sun., May 25, 8:30 PM ET | TNT
Game 4: SAS at OKC | Tue., May 27, 9:00 PM ET | TNT
Game 5: OKC at SAS | Thu., May 29 | TNT | If Needed
Game 6: SAS at OKC | Sat., May 31 | TNT | If Needed
Game 7: OKC at SAS | Mon., Jun. 2 | TNT | If Needed

Who will hold the Larry O'Brien Trophy above their heads this year?

Will it be the Miami Heat?

the Oklahoma City Thunder?

the Indianapolis Pacers?

or the San Antoni Spurs?

The NBA Playoffs slowly comes to its conclusion.

SAS Playoff Picks Thread

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
(reposting)

Joe Johnson had an excellent playoff run but he was completely average in the regular season (15.5 PER). This is not a man you want to pay $20m/yr for under any circumstances.

His defense isn't even that great anymore. The only thing he does well is exploit defenders with his size.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Go Pacers, go whatever team coming out the West. Go 7 game series

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Gross

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Yeah I mean the Heat are the Evil Empire and gently caress them and all that but the Pacers have Lance Stephenson and play the Ugliest Basketball

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

the_american_dream posted:

Go Pacers, go whatever team coming out the West. Go 7 game series

You disappoint me man :(

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah I mean the Heat are the Evil Empire and gently caress them and all that but the Pacers have Lance Stephenson and play the Ugliest Basketball

The shitshow the Pacers put on shouldn't even be called basketball. It's like they looked at the old Knicks/Heat teams and were like "yeah, that's what we wanna be like".

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Sorry yall, Wade hasnt retired or died yet and I actually still legit like Indy :blush:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I actually still legit like Indy :blush:

A Bad Basketball Opinion

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Poor Wiz. Their home games didn't even feel like home games. The crowd was about as lively as C-Span coverage of the senate floor on a Tuesday.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
RIP Clippers. Enjoy the rest of the playoffs boys and girls. I'm off to watch baseball.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Sorry yall, Wade hasnt retired or died yet and I actually still legit like Indy :blush:

Disgusting. ugh.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Since it's topical to the thread title, apparently Joe Lacob named his dogs John Galt and Howard Roark:

http://instagram.com/p/fVYdlwGxJD/

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
I'm hoping for OKC/MIA finals. San Antonio plays about the most boring good basketball I can remember seeing.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Since it's topical to the thread title, apparently Joe Lacob named his dogs John Galt and Howard Roark:

What a monster what would've happened if he had dribbled the ball onto one of his dog's head or hands

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Bhester posted:

I'm hoping for OKC/MIA finals. San Antonio plays about the most boring good basketball I can remember seeing.

I really don't understand how the boring basketball opinion is still a thing.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Bhester posted:

I'm hoping for OKC/MIA because I don't think miami can beat the spurs again. It took a literal miracle and 7 games last time.

TK-42-1 posted:

They dunk less than the other teams in general. Although I have been seeing them dunk more in the playoffs specially in that last game. I don't know I think the spurs are fine to watch I just hate having to listen to bashez.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I highly doubt the Spurs will lose to the Thunder. Scott Brooks is going to be outcoached so hard.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Captain Tolerable posted:

I highly doubt the Spurs will lose to the Thunder. Scott Brooks is going to be outcoached so hard.

Probably but I don't think you should ever count out the team who has the best player on the court in a series.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Source: Knicks’ Jackson Told Felton He Will Be Traded
http://theknicksblog.com/knicks/source-knicks-jackson-told-felton-he-will-be-traded/

What kind of magic would phil have to pull out of his pockets to get a team to trade for Felton.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Captain Tolerable posted:

Yeah but the Thunder swept them 4-0 in the regular season

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
I personally can't wait for Hibbert to be a 20/20 machine and indy to shoot 60 percent from 3 for the series. It's going to happen and it's going to suck.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Inudeku posted:

I personally can't wait for Hibbert to be a 20/20 machine and indy to shoot 60 percent from 3 for the series. It's going to happen and it's going to suck.

God I hope UD just wrecks Hibbert again so bad.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

TK-42-1 posted:

I picked the Blazers, Clippers, and Wizards to advance, so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

roundmidnight posted:

(reposting)

Joe Johnson had an excellent playoff run but he was completely average in the regular season (15.5 PER). This is not a man you want to pay $20m/yr for under any circumstances.

His defense isn't even that great anymore. The only thing he does well is exploit defenders with his size.

Thank you for reposting this. Here's some qualifying stuff that I haven't really drawn conclusions from:

Joe Johnson looked significantly more valuable to the Nets in these playoffs than he has for any team for any team in a while, this appears reflected in some of his advanced stats, PER of 20.5 (like you said, 15.5 PER over 2575 minutes regular season) over those 12 games (469 minutes), and .153 WS/48 (.091 regular season). I wouldn't be surprised if he looked even better if those counted hockey assists more directly, they were running an incredible portion of the offense through him, his usage and MPG was impressive.

I've had an impression of Wade phoning it in a little during the regular season, he's old, saving it up, but that might be arguable from looking at his stats. He's missed 72 games over the last 3 seasons. But he plays increased minutes in the playoffs, and I'll be darned if he don't look way more bad-rear end during the important games.

Wade and Johnson are both 32. Wade makes 18m, Johnson 20m. Wade is also considered a bad contract, although not 4th worst. I also think a lot of Miami fans might consider him an essential contract, but then you could probably find Lakers fans who think that Kobe handout was a good idea. Plus Prokhorov doesn't give a ебать about your янки salary regulations. I don't know!!

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Inudeku posted:

I personally can't wait for Hibbert to be a 20/20 machine and indy to shoot 60 percent from 3 for the series. It's going to happen and it's going to own. :mario:

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not sure my heart can handle it, but I'm hoping for a Spurs/Heat rematch. That last Finals was the best Finals I've seen in a long time.

I dread facing the Spurs because they are the only team left I don't expect the Heat to beat.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

I hope Ray Allen bullshit 3s your hopes away.

Edit : does anybody have the Korver blocking Hibbert gif and the Teague schooling his rear end one?

Inudeku fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 16, 2014

cp91886
Oct 26, 2005
Defense owns and the Pacers own(every other game). Despite the incessant whining the Pacers were actually pretty great to watch for the first 3 months of the season. Something about watching teams impotently clank contested jumpers warms my heart I guess. But the burden of SAS's bitching morphed them into something grotesque that even as a fan I can't condone.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

JesusSinfulHands posted:

My dogs love basketball. I take them to empty courts sometimes and dribble around them while they chase the ball like spazs

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

nachos posted:

Yeah but the Thunder swept them 4-0 in the regular season

Agreed, Brooklyn has a good chance at upsetting Miami

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
never forget the real king of LA fashion

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
@ArashMarkazi now
Blake Griffin will play in the FIBA Basketball World Cup in Spain this summer.

I hope Love and Durant are still committed to playing.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

TheFallenEvincar posted:

never forget the real king of LA fashion

That loving tie is brutal. Nothing better than a cotton poly tie, it's washable, no point, like life, great stuff.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

@ramonashelburne
Doc, when asked about Sterling not intending to pay his $2.5 million fine. "I'm not paying my $25k fine either then."

CHAOS

hitze
Aug 28, 2007

RIP Thunder. Spurs in 4

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Go San Antonio and go Miami. I'm from Dallas so I feel dirty saying that but gently caress it I can deal with self loathing.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

quote:

One team asked Dante Exum what drugs he uses besides marijuana. He responded that he doesn't use marijuana.

https://twitter.com/ByJayKing/status/467343011568160768

I wonder how often that actually works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

hitze posted:

RIP Thunder. Spurs in 4

KD bout to go crazy to take a 3-0 lead on the spurs shooting fantastically. Then he will shoot below 40 percent and average 10 turnovers a game. He will lose a game 7 at the buzzer from a kawhi leonard steal + 30 foot 3.

• Locked thread