Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
In the alternative universe where the other team advances, who will win the NBA title
This poll is closed.
Nets 10 4.55%
Wizards 64 29.09%
Trailblazers 42 19.09%
Clippers 104 47.27%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Was the early 2000s really that bad for basketball pace? I guess all I remember is Shaq and Vince Carter dunks plus AI crossovers. Was pretty fun for me, anyway. But then, I ignored the Eastern Conference for the most part. I think that was key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If you guys don't see the comedy value in a team that's played as terribly in these playoffs as Indiana winning the whole thing, I don't know what to tell you.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I watched the early 2000s Pistons so I sort of get liking to watch a really slow and terrible offense, but the Pacers don't even move the ball. It's the worst possible slow terrible offense.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Probably Magic posted:

Was the early 2000s really that bad for basketball pace?

Yes

Also you didn't watch the east but two of the three guys you mentioned played in the east (and Iverson was not actually fun to watch outside of highlight form and I will fight about this)

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

And I remember rooting for Detroit the year they won too, so I must be being disingenuous with myself.

And I'll grant you the Iverson thing, when he was in a clunking mood, he was really in a clunking mood, like Westbrook on an off-night but worse.

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.
Poor Mark, forced to take yet another part time job to keep his ministry afloat.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Do we really need three dang announcers for the games

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Probably Magic posted:

Was the early 2000s really that bad for basketball pace? I guess all I remember is Shaq and Vince Carter dunks plus AI crossovers. Was pretty fun for me, anyway. But then, I ignored the Eastern Conference for the most part. I think that was key.

The late 90s and early 2000s were the slowest pace in NBA history since the introduction of the shotclock, and not that much faster than the pre-shotclock era,

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MourningView posted:

Yes

Also you didn't watch the east but two of the three guys you mentioned played in the east (and Iverson was not actually fun to watch outside of highlight form and I will fight about this)

Allen Iverson driving to the hoop is not unlike a Werner Herzog film if you think about it

Halfling Wizard Bear posted:

Poor Mark, forced to take yet another part time job to keep his ministry afloat.

Inflation is out of control, as indicated by the rising price of stripper payoffs

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Sorry for all the idiotic reflections, I just don't like confronting the fact that the basketball era I was introduced to and really enjoyed was some really boring-rear end basketball. :(

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Probably Magic posted:

The slowest years:

code:
        Pace
1998-99	88.9
1996-97	90.1
2003-04	90.1
1997-98	90.3
2005-06	90.5
2001-02	90.7
2004-05	90.9
2002-03	91
2000-01	91.3
There was also a backlash after Jordan retired that the players playing at the time were bad and overrated (it was an incorrect viewpoint) but when Robinson/Duncan won in 1999 and then Shaq and Kobe did a threepeat a lot of people saw them as players that had failed earlier in their careers and they were just getting the leftovers that Hakeem and Jordan left.

Even if you go back in the SA archives you can find many posts espousing this mindset.

The other issue is the defense of many of the best teams was aggravating and a far cry from the great offensive teams:

1984-85 LAL
1981-82 DEN
1987-88 BOS
2006-07 PHO
2007-08 PHO
2009-10 PHO
1994-95 UTA
1986-87 LAL
2008-09 PHO
2013-14 MIA

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Ric loving Bucher stirred up poo poo yesterday by getting quotes from a Warriors player off the record saying the silence from the Dubs players on the Kerr hiring was intentional:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2065541-steve-kerr-faces-challenge-to-win-over-players-upset-over-mark-jacksons-firing

Mark Jackson was probably running the team like a religious cult so the team will need some time to be debriefed and acclimate to a non-religious setting after Jackson's abrupt defrocking.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Zogo posted:

Mark Jackson was probably running the team like a religious cult so the team will need some time to be debriefed and acclimate to a non-religious setting after Jackson's abrupt defrocking.

Honestly, everything we've said and debated about up until this point can just be summed up by this. This is absolutely true.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'd never heard anyone say the Spurs or Lakers were teams that were getting Hakeem and Jordan leftovers. This seems like something Chicago Bulls Fan Zogo is making up or remembering from early Bulls blogs or something.

That label was attached to some individual guys like Ewing, Barkley, Malone, etc but it wasn't like the Bulls were beating the Spurs and the Lakers team they beat was from another era that the Bulls dethroned.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rick posted:

I'd never heard anyone say the Spurs or Lakers were teams that were getting Hakeem and Jordan leftovers. This seems like something Chicago Bulls Fan Zogo is making up or remembering from early Bulls blogs or something.

That label was attached to some individual guys like Ewing, Barkley, Malone, etc but it wasn't like the Bulls were beating the Spurs and the Lakers team they beat was from another era that the Bulls dethroned.

Yeah, the Shaq Lakers were a fun team to watch. Even Kobe, a player I've hated since forever, was enjoyable.

But those Spurs teams that won the titles were the worst.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Also Phil really needled the Spurs about their '99 Championship; it deserved to have an asterisk next to it because it was in a lockout-shortened season or something like that. I think he wasn't the only one who thought that too.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 18, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

PantsFreeZone posted:

Yeah, the Shaq Lakers were a fun team to watch. Even Kobe, a player I've hated since forever, was enjoyable.

But those Spurs teams that won the titles were the worst.

The Lakers were slow as gently caress and their offense was posting and reposting Shaq over and over again

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

The Lakers were slow as gently caress and their offense was posting and reposting Shaq over and over again
You say it like that was a bad thing.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

You're never going to make me feel bad for enjoying stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI85iVU3xkE

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Probably Magic posted:

You're never going to make me feel bad for enjoying stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI85iVU3xkE

Not nearly as cool once you realize their feet got tangled up and that's why Robinson looks so out of sorts.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Probably Magic posted:

God I forgot how awful the 90's Spurs colors were.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Bashez posted:

I wouldn't call it a nightmare, but Ibaka was definitely key in screwing up what the Spurs did. Ibaka is woefully underrated on these forums.

Who's been underrating Ibaka? He's one of the best rim-protectors, shot-blockers/changers in the league, rebounds well, and can shoot as well as you could ask of a center/PF. I think the biggest criticism is Scott Brooks sucks at coaching and Ibaka isn't going to thrive trying to create his own shots.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Well thats because he only gets to play during garbage time. Sometimes.

:cool:

Here's Cope scoring 18 pts in 17 minutes on 7/8 shooting (no FTs) including the game winner against some amateur team that I believe has since folded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLZx22L19p0

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

You say it like that was a bad thing.

Kobe was exciting and Shaq was cool to watch in the post before everyone started fouling him all the time buuuuuuut who else on that team was worth watching

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
lmao

quote:

Looking ahead to his matchup with Wade, beginning in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Finals on Sunday (3:30 p.m., ABC), Stephenson revealed that making Wade’s problematic right knee “flare up” is part of his strategy.

“D. Wade — I think his knee is messed up, so I’ve got to be extra aggressive and make him run and have him running around and make his knee flare up or something,” he said after the Pacers practiced this afternoon. “I’ll do anything as much as possible.”

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2014/05/lance-stephenson-wants-dwyane-wade-knee-flare-up/

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I bet a nice flight of stairs could cause Wade's knee to flare up, get on it Lance.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yes say something like that, surely the refs won't be watching you like a hawk now.

Although:

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I bet a nice flight of stairs could cause Wade's knee to flare up, get on it Lance.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Crazy Ted posted:

Also Phil really needed the Spurs about their '99 Championship; it deserved to have an asterisk next to it because it was in a lockout-shortened season or something like that. I think he wasn't the only one who thought that too.

Phil was totally loving with the Spurs but idiots like Bill Simmons totally bought it. In his article about seasons that deserve asterisks it ranks in at number two. He's mentioned how the Spurs came in to the season still in shape because they work hard or something and everyone else was out of shape and blah blah blah. The Spurs started the year 6-8 and then played at a 70 win pace including the playoffs over the next 50 games and posted the second best playoff mark of all time. Pre back injury David Robinson and pre knee injury Tim Duncan were destroying teams, they swept the second best team that year (Blazers, who beat the third best, Utah). It's really about a convincing championship as you can get.

He then goes on to not include 2000 in his asterisk championships despite the team that had just won the title having their best player out with knee surgery.

The Asian Oprah posted:

Who's been underrating Ibaka? He's one of the best rim-protectors, shot-blockers/changers in the league, rebounds well, and can shoot as well as you could ask of a center/PF. I think the biggest criticism is Scott Brooks sucks at coaching and Ibaka isn't going to thrive trying to create his own shots.

People constantly call him overrated despite him being a total game changer defensively and one of the best spot up shooters in the league. People make "weak side" block jokes about him and say he's actually a poor/average defender and just blocks a lot of shots.

I'm talking about people on SA.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Super excited that the Pacers are already talking a bunch of poo poo.

Like Ethan J Skolnick says: The Pacers are like the kids screaming at their parents to watch them in playground. The Heat are checking their cellphones.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
“I’ll do anything as much as possible.”

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Really pulling for the Heat to sweep the poo poo out of the Pacers

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The 2014 Heat have the highest eFG% in NBA/ABA history. When it comes to FG shooting they're the supreme team. When we talk about pace we usually mean the pace measurement on BBR but we can actually look at speed in MPH on the stats.nba.com site. I was curious to see how the two measurements compared.

Compare 2014 team pace with team miles traveled:

code:
Team			Pace
Philadelphia 76ers	99.2
Los Angeles Lakers	98.7
Denver Nuggets		98.1
Minnesota Timberwolves	97.3
Houston Rockets		96.3
Golden State Warriors	96.2
Los Angeles Clippers	95.9
Phoenix Suns		95.8
Oklahoma City Thunder	95.4
San Antonio Spurs	95
Portland Trail Blazers	94.9
Detroit Pistons		94.9
Atlanta Hawks		94.6
Sacramento Kings	94.4
Orlando Magic		93.6
Dallas Mavericks	93.5
Boston Celtics		93.3
Washington Wizards	93.2
Cleveland Cavaliers	93.1
Indiana Pacers		92.5
Charlotte Bobcats	92.4
New Orleans Pelicans	92.2
Toronto Raptors		91.8
Milwaukee Bucks		91.8
Brooklyn Nets		91.4
Utah Jazz		91.4
Miami Heat		91.2
New York Knicks		90.3
Chicago Bulls		90.2
Memphis Grizzlies	89.9

code:
Team		Miles
(SAS)		1443.8
(PHI)		1438.8
(CLE)		1414.5
(POR)		1400.3
(LAL)		1389.2
(NOP)		1385.2
(DEN)		1384.1
(CHI)		1380.7
(CHA)		1380.2
(UTA)		1378.2
(ORL)		1374.7
(HOU)		1365.4
(WAS)		1364.8
(MIN)		1364
(SAC)		1358.4
(PHX)		1358.3
(MEM)		1358.1
(LAC)		1357.2
(DAL)		1355.8
(OKC)		1354.5
(GSW)		1354.5
(ATL)		1352.7
(MIL)		1351.5
(TOR)		1350.8
(BOS)		1350.1
(MIA)		1348
(DET)		1347.2
(IND)		1324.6
(NYK)		1317.8
(BKN)		1313.9
They have a correlation of .41
Bulls were 8th in miles run but 29th in pace.

Vertical Lime posted:

bob raissman ‏@nydnraiss 4m
Mark Jackson to reunite with JVG/Breen for Eastern Conference finals and NBA finals. Jax also inks multi-year deal with ESPN. Knicks? No.

:wtf: already? I was looking forward to seeing the series to see if they let the Pacers absolutely maul the Heat again like last year. Roy Hibbert starring at nine foot tall golem vs. LeBron James.

WYA posted:

Would a whole league of people who were Lebron James be more interesting than the current league where only one person is Lebron James?

D LeBron James would shut down O LeBron James. How about a league of 500 Steve Nash's or 500 Kevin Durant's or 500 Mark Eaton's? I wonder if a defensive KD could stop an offensive KD on that 28 foot 3 point shot he does.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 18, 2014

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

Kobe was exciting and Shaq was cool to watch in the post before everyone started fouling him all the time buuuuuuut who else on that team was worth watching

You of all people forgetting about Robert Horry.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Rick posted:

People still to this very day reminisce about MVP Robinson being defeated by Hakeem in the early 90s (and Shaq being embarrassed in the 95 finals). Then once Hakeem was ancient and Jordan was gone 33 year old Robinson with practically a rookie (Duncan) goes on to win a title. That team was seen as inferior by some. People at the time didn't know that Duncan would end up as one of the best ever. Maybe I am remembering a more local Chicago viewpoint rather than a national feeling (sports was probably more regionally insulated back then).

If archives wasn't down it wouldn't be too hard to find SAS threads from ~2003 with lots of people insulting the current state of the NBA and its players.

Again I'm not saying any of these views were correct but it's how many were thinking at the time.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Probably Magic posted:

Sorry for all the idiotic reflections, I just don't like confronting the fact that the basketball era I was introduced to and really enjoyed was some really boring-rear end basketball. :(

It's okay, I spent my formative basketball years going to Pistons games, which probably sounds terrible to outside observers. There's nothing as fun as being there for a team's rise to the top, even if they objectively play boring rear end basketball. I think that's why I like the Pacers and Grizzlies, even though the Pacers teams of that era were my most hated rival.

EDIT: That rule also applies to actually fun teams like the Thunder and Warriors.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Declan MacManus posted:

The Lakers posted up Shaq less often than they posted up Dwight Howard (and they certainly weren't slow last season) and played pretty uptempo otherwise. They were always middle of the road of pace and always 1-3 during the playoffs where playoff reffing made going into Shaq less viable.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

rabidsquid posted:

I watched the early 2000s Pistons so I sort of get liking to watch a really slow and terrible offense, but the Pacers don't even move the ball. It's the worst possible slow terrible offense.

Detroit's offense was slow, but it wasn't terrible at all. Under Flip Saunders they were actually one of the more efficient offences iirc.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
My evidence for early 2000s basketball being lovely is that at one point people seriously suggested that the East all star starters should just be the Pistons starting lineup and this idea was not immediately dismissed as idiotic.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I just watched the John Spano 30 for 30 and I kind of wonder if George Shinn was able to successfully pull off the scam Spano tried.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Rick posted:

I just watched the John Spano 30 for 30 and I kind of wonder if George Shinn was able to successfully pull off the scam Spano tried.
I don't know how something like that doesn't bring down a commissioner.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

MourningView posted:

My evidence for early 2000s basketball being lovely is that at one point people seriously suggested that the East all star starters should just be the Pistons starting lineup and this idea was not immediately dismissed as idiotic.
I think that's more an indication of how bad the East was in 2000's, and if LeBron James hurt we likely would've gotten similar suggestions regarding the Pacers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
:siren: A small reminder to get your picks in before tomorrows game at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3626259

• Locked thread