Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

:siren::siren:KINETIC VOID IS CURRENTLY 66% OFF ($6.79USD) ON STEAM. GO GET IT NOW!:siren::siren:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/227160/

What is Kinectic Void?
Kinetic Void (from now on will be referenced as KV) is an upcoming spaceship simulation, builder, flyer, trade, pirate, mission runner from Badland Studios.
It's a rough mix of Freelancer, a single player Eve Online and the X series of games, but it leans more into the hardcore side of X/Eve, than the arcade style of Freelancer while still remaining accessible.

:siren: Let me get this out of the way. It's not finished. Its not FAR from being done, but it's still being developed. Things will change, things are broken, things aren't in yet. The devs release patches almost weekly (sometimes 2 weeks, sometimes 3, depending on the amount of content changes). But there is loads of stuff in here to do already. The ship building alone will keep you occupied for a long while. So don't let the Early Access Blues get you down. :siren:

KV is available on Steam as an Early Access title. It also available on The Humble Store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQOI_wzdFtg

Current Features

Randomly Generated Galaxies
Each time you start a new game, you're presented with the ability to customize the galaxy you'll play in. You can pick the amount of sectors and factions. You can also have Creative mode on, so you can build whatever you like and just have fun dicking about in space being a space rear end in a top hat. You could also leave Creative mode off and enjoy the struggle to become a legend. Or just watch the other factions nuke each other into oblivion while assisting them, by trading one team the goods and weapons they need. Or both. Its up to you.

Module Based Ship Construction and Customization
When you load the game, you're presented with *currently* two starter ships. One fighter, or Hauler. As you progress though the game, you can customise and upgrade your ship, or construct your very own ship out of a very large selection of parts. It's your money, dude.

Living World
Factions will go on without you. They'll fight for sectors, trade or make agreements and treaties. You can always 'assist' in all this, making your dent in the world. Depending on your actions, they will either love you, or hate you. So be careful who you piss off.

Sandbox
Do what ever you like. I can't stress then enough. Feel like being a pirate? Build your perfect pirate ship and go and hunt for booty. Feel like trading? Grab a hauler, and get cracking. It's up to you what you do.

Steam Workshop
You can create your ship, then share it with other players. Or, you can download some of the awesome stuff they've come up with. Click Here and check a few of them out, or duck down to the screenshot section of this OP, and take a look. People are insane in the best way.

Upcoming Features

Missions
"What, there are no missions?!" I hear you say. Well, yes there is. You'll randomly fly into a sector and get asked for help, or get attacked by pirates, or enemy factions. But coming soon, you'll be able to take missions from stations and other places to help you alone your way. Also, the custom mission editor is due soon, it's an external program for creating your own mission and mission sets to put up on Steam Workshop. So you'll never run out of stuff to do.

Trading and Politics to be Fleshed Out
Currently, trading doesn't do much. I mean, you can still help out the enemy by giving them what they need, you can still make money, but AI trade routes are currently very basic and place holder. Soon, things will get a lot more volatile. Same goes with politics. The basic's are there, it's just being fleshed out, and we'll see more on that very soon. I'm really looking forward to this stuff myself, as some really cool stuff is planned.

More UI Fixes
The UI is fine for the most part, but the devs are always looking to fix the little niggling things. I know of some fixes that are coming, but be sure to call out any issues or suggestions here, or on the official forums so they can be remedied. But it's getting better every week.

Bug Reporting and You.

LumberingTroll posted:

We watch our Steam Community hub like hawks, so there is the best place to post bugs, in the bug forums :D I also just added a wishlist section, and I set up a trello to help people see what we are doing / whats coming up.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/227160/discussions/
https://trello.com/b/AjUzsoJm/kinetic-void

Screenshots
Some of the shots here, are of some of the fantastic stuff other players have made, that you can load into your game and take for a test drive.

--------------------------------

When you start your first game of KV, you will start by generating your playground Galaxy, pick if you'll be playing in Creative mode, or the 'real game', and select your starting ship. For your first game, I'd avoid starting in Creative mode, unless you're just going to dick about with the ship build. You don't want to spoil yourself for when you do play for real.

Once you click start, you'll be loaded into your hanger. Here, you'll see your starting ship and a whole swag of options. We'll go though them.

On the top left, you'll see your ships name. You can see I picked the Striker as my starting ship.

Moving to the right, you can see 3 buttons, Save Ship, Load Ship, and Steam Workshop (so you can share your creations, or check out some of the awesome community made ships).

Next, you can see the Info button, which you can check out the Community forums, the game guide, patch notes and more. The game guide is currently out of date. I'll be sure to update when its been fixed up.

Then you have the Weapon manager screen. Here, you can setup which weapons are linked to fire at the same time, see the type of weapon they are and see where the weapon is placed.

Then we have the grey button. I don't know what that does yet. No idea. Maybe it will never do anything. Who knows.
Lets move on.

We then have the Store. Here, you'll be able to see what parts for your ship, or trade goods you can buy from the station.
In your first game, I wouldn't recommend buying much until you know what you'll be doing, and you get a hang of the combat/trading. Just save those starter space bucks until you're sure you know what you want or need.

Next, you have your inventory on this station, and your inventory on your ship.
In creative mode, this is where all of you different hulls, weapons, engines... EVERYTHING is stored so you can build whatever crazy ship you can come with. If you're NOT playing creative, you'll have nothing but hopes and dreams.

After that, we have the repair button. If your ship is damaged, this is the go to place to go. And you'll be using this a lot.
This well... Gives you billions of space credits then send you billions of real life money to your home... No... it just repairs your ship for a price. But starting off, you wont need this. As your current ship is brand new and awesome and ready to take on the wonders of space.

Then we have your credit balance. Starting off, you should have 10,000c. Just enough to get you started. The goal of the game is to make that go higher!

On the top right, we have ship info icons. I wont go though them all as there is lots of info in there, but it is mostly self explanatory. If you do have any questions though, feel free to ask in the thread and myself or somebody else should be able to help you out.

On the bottom left, you have your Ship Tools button. Clicking this will bring out options for constructing your ship. They are, from top to bottom, Camera Sensitivity, Translate Tool, Rotation Tool, Grid Size (for part placement) and Mirroring Mode.
All of these help a great deal. So as soon as you start building or editing ships, make sure you have this open.

Next to Ship Tools, you'll see Modules: 'x' The X being the number of Modules used in the construction of your ship.

Bottom middle, we have Launch Ship. Don't click this just yet.

Bottom right, there is a construction icon/tab. This opens up a menu that shows you all the Modules you have ready in your inventory, and ready for construction. This is very helpful when building or editing ships, so its another you'll want open as soon as you start.

AND THAT'S ALL THE BUTTONS. Kinda. Not really.

Hover your mouse over a Module on your ship. See how it turns blue? You can Right Click your mouse to open a radial menu.

Modify - lets you move and rotate the selected part.
Remove - deletes the part selected
Close - closes the radial menu.
Subsystem - Each part has an amount of space. In this space, you can place subsystems. But it crew space, generators, armor plating, its all in Subsystems. You'll want to do this with every part on your ship, if you can afford it (or if you need more crew, power or whatever). I wont do a detailed write up, as most people have stopped reading already, just ask if you want help.

Now you're ready to hit that Launch Ship button we talked about before. Hit it, and load into your new Galaxy, in your new ship.

And when you do. You'll load in to a scene, maybe like this, maybe not.
Either way you should right in front, facing the station you where just in.

You can Right Click to rotate around you ship. If you can't see your ship. Scroll on your Mouse Wheel or hit the [,] or [.] keys to zoom in and out.
If you hit [V] you're ship will aim where your mouse pointer is, much like Freelancer or X. Pressing it again, will go back to Mouse Selection Mode.

You Press [N] to turn location icons on and off. I leave them on as they're far to helpful unless you're taking screenshots.
If you Right Click the Location Icons, you'll get the option to Warp to them (don't do this if a station is in front of you... or a planet, you'll go boom.) and how far away you wish to warp, and to Align to whatever it is your right clicked on, which faces directly at the object.

[Space] will make your ship rise, [ALT] will make it drop.
[W] will point your ships nose up, [S] will point it down.
[A] will strafe you left, [D] will strafe you right.
[Q] will roll you left, [E] will roll you right.

Now the good stuff.

[R] will increase thrust. [F] will lower it, and eventually put you in reverse.
If you have weapons on your ship. Press [X] to enable Moused Aim mode, and Left Click to fire.

[Z] Locks to your closets Object, [TAB] to your closest Enemy.
Lock your target with [C] and Clear Lock with .

[b][M]
Will open your Galaxy map. You can then right click on each sector to see what is there, or warp to sections of the sector you are in. Early on, you cannot jump from sector to sector. I am not sure if there is an upgrade you can make to your ship for this, but warp gates are easy enough to find, and they'll get you where you need to go.

I'll leave it there for now, if you have any questions, myself or LumberingTroll (and maybe some other members of the dev team) may drop in to answer.

Goodluck out there.

*Fake Edit*
I have more to add to this, but its 3:30am here in Australia and my fingers are telling me I've typed enough.

tehsid fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Just fyi, there's no apostrophe in "galaxies". I'm looking forward to the true release though!

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Just fyi, there's no apostrophe in "galaxies". I'm looking forward to the true release though!

Whoops. Thanks for catching that.

But yeah, the full version is shaping up to be awesome. It's fun even as it is now, but with the planned features, KV could be awesome.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah I'm just done with playing beta version of games, I've found that playing them before they're finished just means I am no longer interested when it actually comes out, and have a hard time going back and playing them all the way through. :(

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Hey all! Nice thread tehsid :D If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer.

coyo7e posted:

Yeah I'm just done with playing beta version of games, I've found that playing them before they're finished just means I am no longer interested when it actually comes out, and have a hard time going back and playing them all the way through. :(

Just so you know, we are planning to develop past "release" for quite a while. We have a lot of future content we want to add to the game as well.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

LumberingTroll posted:

Hey all! Nice thread tehsid :D If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer.

Just so you know, we are planning to develop past "release" for quite a while. We have a lot of future content we want to add to the game as well.

You live! I have a bug report for you from the last thread:

ToxicFrog posted:

I don't even know if you still read this thread, but I've got some bug reports for the latest version (linux and windows), and I couldn't find an official bugtracker to report them on:

- The help screen that comes up when you start a new game is totally unreadable.

This is only showing the "UI" and "Subsystems" screens, but they all look like that. It looks like the frame attached to the "shipyard" and "sector" tabs is getting rendered on top of the window that actually displays the help text and masking it out.

- Clicking Info -> Game Guide closes the info window without bringing up the game guide. Esc -> Game Guide still works.

- Esc while the game guide is open causes the main menu to open behind the guide, and it can't be interacted with until you close the guide.

- Linux only: starting a new game starts you with all the right parts but no actual ship, unlike the Windows version that starts you with the ship pre-assembled. This happens with both ships and with or without Creative Mode selected. At first glance this appears to be a filename case issue; if I strace KV I can see it calling stat64 and lstat64 on SaveFiles/Starter/Striker.ship, but the actual file is SaveFiles/Starter/striker.ship -- same deal with the freighter. However, if I rename the ship file to have the right capitalization, the game crashes outright. I can see it writing a crash log in the strace, but I have no idea where that log goes. (Full disclosure: I'm running Steam on SUSE 13.1 here. If you can't repro on Ubuntu, this may be a problem with the Steam SUSE package and not with KV itself.)

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Yeah, the guide needs to be redone. A lot has changed and its getting dated.

We watch our Steam Community hub like hawks, so there is the best place to post bugs, in the bug forums :D I also jsut added a wishlist section, and I set up a trello to help people see what we are doing / whats coming up.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/227160/discussions/
https://trello.com/b/AjUzsoJm/kinetic-void

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I think there was a time back when I was in high school and my friend asked my what my ideal game would be, and my answer was basically this game.

I really hope the Humble Store sale ends soon, because I don't know how much longer I can resist buying this.

Oh right, I had a question! Does combat have (or will it have) location-specific damage? If it does, that makes the ship designing a whole lot more interesting.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Zombie Samurai posted:

Oh right, I had a question! Does combat have (or will it have) location-specific damage? If it does, that makes the ship designing a whole lot more interesting.

It does indeed, though only when the ships shields are down. Every ship has subsystems, and if those subsystems are hit and disabled your ship loses their effect. Things like weapons, reactors, sensors etc.

Right now the hull is a cumulative container, but engines, c&c, and weapons are all individual. We had all hull sections be individual at one time but we changed it to see how people like it, as it was rather tedious to equip 50+ hull sections with their own subsystems. We also have some ideas on how we can change this system.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 17, 2014

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

I've added a section of bug reports, that just outright quotes what you said about trello and the steam forum.

If anybody does have any question about the game, feel free to post them in here I'll do my best to help out. I may do a live stream of the current build tomorrow as well, but we'll see how OBS goes on my new setup.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

LumberingTroll posted:

It does indeed, though only when the ships shields are down. Every ship has subsystems, and if those subsystems are hit and disabled your ship loses their effect. Things like weapons, reactors, sensors etc.

Right now the hull is a cumulative container, but engines, c&c, and weapons are all individual. We had all hull sections be individual at one time but we changed it to see how people like it, as it was rather tedious to equip 50+ hull sections with their own subsystems. We also have some ideas on how we can change this system.

Have you considered allowing players to fit the subsystems inside the shell once the hull has been assembled?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I've been mucking about in this ever since Troll&Co released the old ship editor. It's in a really fun plcae, you can be like me and get your poo poo pushed in by a swarm of pirates! I died, but it looked awesome while I exploded.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Cryohazard posted:

Have you considered allowing players to fit the subsystems inside the shell once the hull has been assembled?

Right now, each ship part, we call them Modules is a container, you put subsystems inside of them. when the module gets damaged, there is a chance of the subsystems inside getting damaged, armor platting subsystems reduce this chance, in exchange for making the damage go to the ships over all hull durability.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
According to tehsid, there's crew in the game?

Also, I made this ridiculous battleship with 60 controllable drones. Is there a way to launch all of them without clicking on them one at a time? I tried various key combinations, but didn't figure it out.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Longbaugh01 posted:

Also, I made this ridiculous battleship with 60 controllable drones. Is there a way to launch all of them without clicking on them one at a time? I tried various key combinations, but didn't figure it out.

Im not sure if that feature got put in, but it is needed, if you select all of the drones in the drone manager then click launch they will all launch and be grouped together, so you can easily give that group orders.

I did some playing / testing on friday and ended up with this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2mrevkM5k

It's not final, or really in game, I make no promises about it. There are so many things I want to do to KV, so Im not sure when / if it will ever be "done"

Economy -
Matt (one of my programers, and Harabeck here on SA) has been working on our Economy sim the past week. we are basing it off this paper http://larc.unt.edu/techreports/LARC-2010-03.pdf very closely. Its very detailed, and complex and extremely efficient. We can run it every frame with out a performance hit if we want.

Basically it tracks economic agents, Suppliers, Traders, Purchasers, creates supply and demand based on events, accounts for stations and planets in each system etc. Each solar system is its own self contained mini-economy that contributes and participates with the galactic neighborhood. An example would be Faction A decides it needs to go to war with Faction B. So Faction A ramps up ship production, thus increasing the demand for ore and other required resources, meaning the prices for them go up. The player could capitalize on this by going into ore mining, or make matters worse by destroying mining stations and trade ships etc.

Its not finished yet, but we intend to tie it to everything, factions, stations, planets, the player, everything.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Whoops double post!

tehsid fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 17, 2014

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Longbaugh01 posted:

I believe you need crew and crew modules/sleeping area's for larger ships. I could be wrong or it may have been an older version I'm remembering. I'll check tomorrow once I get up.

LumberingTroll posted:

I did some playing / testing on friday and ended up with this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2mrevkM5k

It's not final, or really in game, I make no promises about it. There are so many things I want to do to KV, so Im not sure when / if it will ever be "done"

Economy -
Matt (one of my programers, and Harabeck here on SA) has been working on our Economy sim the past week. we are basing it off this paper http://larc.unt.edu/techreports/LARC-2010-03.pdf very closely. Its very detailed, and complex and extremely efficient. We can run it every frame with out a performance hit if we want.

Basically it tracks economic agents, Suppliers, Traders, Purchasers, creates supply and demand based on events, accounts for stations and planets in each system etc. Each solar system is its own self contained mini-economy that contributes and participates with the galactic neighborhood. An example would be Faction A decides it needs to go to war with Faction B. So Faction A ramps up ship production, thus increasing the demand for ore and other required resources, meaning the prices for them go up. The player could capitalize on this by going into ore mining, or make matters worse by destroying mining stations and trade ships etc.

Its not finished yet, but we intend to tie it to everything, factions, stations, planets, the player, everything.

This is fantasic and I hope to see it in game. Even for a day's work (bugs aside) it looks neat as hell and really brings up some neat idea of 'what could be'. Thanks for sharing this stuff.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Crew were temporarily removed while we decide how we want to implement them, they were just shoe-horned in there before.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
So, I would like to get some open conversation going on ideas and conceptualization.

If we were to add planetary landings, and the ability to get out of your ship, what kind of features and content would you find interesting? This is all hypothetical at this point, but I am curious.

Keep in mind the game already has:
  • Ship Customization
  • Procedural Galaxy Generation, with solar systems
  • Faction systems, as few as 2, with up to 40, is the UIs current limit.
  • Faction editor is planned and the UI is in concept stage right now, this will be part of an in game menu to access, Faction Editor, Module editor and Mission editor.
  • Reputation / Stating system between Player/Faction and Faction/Faction
  • Random Procedural Missions - there are a few now
  • Stations giving specific missions, which are procedurally generated with context are planned.
  • Jumpgates and Jumpdrives for larger ships to accommodate interstellar travel and Micro Warp Drives (MWD) for interstellar acceleration.
  • NPC Ship AI, they can be friendly, agressive, send distress calls to nearby friendies, use MWD, and can toggle their Kinetic Field Gens off, accelerating, and spinning ala battlestar fighter tactics (Be careful chasing a ship with scatter cannons, it hurts.)
  • Highly detailed economy (still WIP but the core of it is functional in the upcoming build)
    • Mining
    • Trading
    • Supply and Demand
    • Economic Events
    • Faction influence
    • Player influence

You can see a more detailed list here. http://steamcommunity.com/app/227160/discussions/0/828934089568066176/

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

LumberingTroll posted:

So, I would like to get some open conversation going on ideas and conceptualization.

If we were to add planetary landings, and the ability to get out of your ship, what kind of features and content would you find interesting? This is all hypothetical at this point, but I am curious.

• Ship Customization
  • Faction editor is planned and the UI is in concept stage right now, this will be part of an in game menu to access, Faction Editor, Module editor and Mission editor.
  • Stations giving specific missions, which are procedurally generated with context are planned.
  • Jumpgates and Jumpdrives for larger ships to accommodate interstellar travel and Micro Warp Drives (MWD) for interstellar acceleration.
  • NPC Ship AI, they can be friendly, agressive, send distress calls to nearby friendies, use MWD, and can toggle their Kinetic Field Gens off, accelerating, and spinning ala battlestar fighter tactics (Be careful chasing a ship with scatter cannons, it hurts.)
  • Highly detailed economy (still WIP but the core of it is functional in the upcoming build)
    • Mining
    • Trading
    • Supply and Demand
    • Economic Events
    • Faction influence
    • Player influence

You can see a more detailed list here. http://steamcommunity.com/app/227160/discussions/0/828934089568066176/

I know that poo poo is procedurally generated but I still think that detailed planet descriptions were a huge part of why Escape Velocity was so good.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

*cough*

Everything...

But no. What I'd love to see is.

1. The ability to place prefab building that can farm, build, or research new items. eg The farming building could have a choice of things to plant, they could then be moved into a processing plant, or taken directly to your landing pad to be picked up by you to take off to sell on the other side of the galaxy. Some with parts that could be researched and sold to other factions to either help them in the effort, to hinder them because they wasted money on horridly inefficient parts.

2. Let me land my ship, swap to a new ship, and still see my old ship chilling in my hanger/whatever.

3. City's to trade at. If they don't feel alive (ships taking off, lights blinking, whatever) then I'm cool, but I'd love them to feel alive if it can happen.

4. Multiplayer! (But you already know how badly I want this so...)

5. Gonna go all whimsical here, but I'd love the ability to hunt alien wildlife, and sell it off. Maybe it could have an effect on your standings with some factions.

I'm sure there is more, and if I think of any, I'll post them.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
How much of a game is it? The thing I worry about especially with early access games is that sometimes theres not much 'game' involved. It looks really interesting though, probably pick it up off Humble at some point. Also controller/joystick support?

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

LumberingTroll posted:

• Ship Customization
    • Mining
    • Trading
    • Supply and Demand
    • Economic Events
    • Faction influence
    • Player influence

The ability to develop planets ala TradeWars 2002, but with better graphics.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Al! posted:

I know that poo poo is procedurally generated but I still think that detailed planet descriptions were a huge part of why Escape Velocity was so good.

This is something we already have planned! In fact on the galaxy map when selection a sector there is a panel for fluff info like this.

tehsid posted:

*cough*

Everything...

But no. What I'd love to see is.

1. The ability to place prefab building that can farm, build, or research new items. eg The farming building could have a choice of things to plant, they could then be moved into a processing plant, or taken directly to your landing pad to be picked up by you to take off to sell on the other side of the galaxy. Some with parts that could be researched and sold to other factions to either help them in the effort, to hinder them because they wasted money on horridly inefficient parts.

2. Let me land my ship, swap to a new ship, and still see my old ship chilling in my hanger/whatever.

3. City's to trade at. If they don't feel alive (ships taking off, lights blinking, whatever) then I'm cool, but I'd love them to feel alive if it can happen.

4. Multiplayer! (But you already know how badly I want this so...)

5. Gonna go all whimsical here, but I'd love the ability to hunt alien wildlife, and sell it off. Maybe it could have an effect on your standings with some factions.

I'm sure there is more, and if I think of any, I'll post them.

Great ideas, and all things I think would be fun too. Researching items may be a bit of a beast though.

Reason posted:

How much of a game is it? The thing I worry about especially with early access games is that sometimes theres not much 'game' involved. It looks really interesting though, probably pick it up off Humble at some point. Also controller/joystick support?

I guess that depends on what you consider a game? Its all pretty sandbox, without any story / focused missions. I listed the current features with a link to more detailed ones.

Peanut3141 posted:

The ability to develop planets ala TradeWars 2002, but with better graphics.

I have never played this one, can you give me some specifics on which features you mean?

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

LumberingTroll posted:

I have never played this one, can you give me some specifics on which features you mean?

The wiki page has a pretty good synopsis. What I remember from the planetary development is that you can take a backwater unpopulated planet, and through hundreds/thousands of ferry runs transplanting colonists from Terra, turn it into your own personal power base. You can set up a production planet that becomes a reliable source of income, create a point defense planet with a shield and planet-base cannon that can product your own cul-de-sac of planets or somewhere in between. Not sure how much of that is implementable in your engine, but I have very fond memories of building a planet from scratch that can eventually rival Terra and Ferringal.

Of course, it's very likely this is all being seen through 20-year-old rose-colored glasses where I saw the story scroll out line by line over 2400 baud. I also want to see a modern-day Legend of the Red Dragon and The Pit. MajorMUD can rot in hell though. =P

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

LumberingTroll posted:

Hey Lumberingtroll glad to see your game still going, It's one of the ones I am excited to get into but I'm waiting until it's more fleshed out :) Anyway here's a bunch of annoying ideaguy spit-balling type things;

I really liked spore's planetary thing. the whole pseudo-4x game around it was kind of meh but I found it enjoyable changing a planet's environment and colonizing it with your custom buildings/race. So I personally would enjoy if you had the ability to terraform planets. Also the ability to blow them up super late game was fun. Love some super weapons.

With your procedural missions thing it'd be cool to have a crashed survivor/rescue mission or finding lost artifacts, maybe to unlock specialized parts for your ship.

The ability to build bases like you can with the ship editor would be fun. again like spore I guess- though I always was kind of annoyed with their prefabs and limitations.. Id love the ability to just make a sprawling planet city were I dedicated enough to it. I don't know how that does with your engine though.

Mining bases for resources to trade/sell. Troops/robot factory production and the ability to mine resources to support that or trade for the resources. Depending on how deep you want to get with all that. Would be fun if you could set up trade routes like in anno. Have a trade barge go to place A when ever it has 1000 tons of steel, Pick up 1000 tons of helium at place B with the money and come back home rinse/repeat. With pirates about too would make for some fun escort type missions.

There's a whole space invading planet thing with orbital bombardments and troop landings that I feel were never explored or fleshed out in these types of games very well. Which I think everyone would find super cool/awesome but its probably outside the scope of a indie budget game :) and with all my feature creep my hypothetical game is starting to sound like a Derek smart joint. :)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

LumberingTroll posted:

This is something we already have planned! In fact on the galaxy map when selection a sector there is a panel for fluff info like this.

Great ideas, and all things I think would be fun too. Researching items may be a bit of a beast though.

I guess that depends on what you consider a game? Its all pretty sandbox, without any story / focused missions. I listed the current features with a link to more detailed ones.

Bringing colonists to the planet, upgrading the planet, adding tech to the planet (and fighter defense hordes) for economy/defense/ship-storage for player/clan. Off the top of my head. Also being able to attack/siege/seize/raze/etc other player's or clan's planets.

If you're really interested the game is still being played on BBS emulation sites but anybody who plays it knows what they're doing and you'll probably walk into 999 fighters sitting in every sector, forcing you to retreat, pay toll, or be attacked..

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 19, 2014

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

coyo7e posted:

Bringing colonists to the planet, upgrading the planet, adding tech to the planet (and fighter defense hordes) for economy/defense/ship-storage for player/clan. Off the top of my head.

If you're really interested the game is still being played on BBS emulation sites but anybody who plays it knows what they're doing and you'll probably walk into 999 fighters sitting in every sector, forcing you to retreat, pay toll, or be attacked..

I bought a license to the original TradeWars in the 90s and probably have that box sitting around somewhere. I never set up my own server, but damnit, I had to own that game. My first support of freeware/shareware. Just looking at that box would make me want to find some BBS somewhere where I hadn't used up my day's allocation of turns.

Not sure if it's become abandonware. Either way I might have to dig up my old license and frolick on my own unlimited-turn emulation until the nostalgia wears off.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
It's really easy to find BBS emu sites to play it on with a couple google searches, they tend to just send you a confirmation email and then allow you their X amount of time for the day. I played a few games like that recently, and tried TW2002 but it's just one of those games that fucks you over if you aren't there when it starts, and play at least as much as the other top end players. After a few months everything gets calcified and no newbies can move around.

Also the stupid turn-allowance-per-day stuff. Early IAPs basically, I certainly knew a few BBSes back in the day where slipping the admin a 10 spot would suddenly give you a billion turns in all your favorite games and extra minutes to stay connected every day.. Ahh dialup.. :allears:

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

coyo7e posted:

It's really easy to find BBS emu sites to play it on with a couple google searches, they tend to just send you a confirmation email and then allow you their X amount of time for the day. I played a few games like that recently, and tried TW2002 but it's just one of those games that fucks you over if you aren't there when it starts, and play at least as much as the other top end players. After a few months everything gets calcified and no newbies can move around.

Also the stupid turn-allowance-per-day stuff. Early IAPs basically, I certainly knew a few BBSes back in the day where slipping the admin a 10 spot would suddenly give you a billion turns in all your favorite games and extra minutes to stay connected every day.. Ahh dialup.. :allears:

That's kind of why I'd rather set up my own. Want to play at my own pace, not compete with sperglords the likes of my 14-year-old self.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

LumberingTroll posted:

Did you ever play an old Commodore 64 game called Echelon? It was an early flight sim-style space exploration game where you flew around a distant planet, looking for clues to the mysterious disappearance of another ship. There were ruins, both human and alien to explore, artifacts to beam up and analyze, and a pirate code to break.

The games I play the most are the ones that have meaningful exploration in them. Stuff like Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Terraria, Saints Row, really anything that has neat little things to find. Even when I played EVE Online, I spent all my time exploring wormhole space (which had just opened up) because it felt so untouched and enticing. I also found I lost interest in games where the exploration became monotonous, like Minecraft (back when I last played it a year ago, I don't know about now). Sure, there's an endless world to explore, but you're never really going to find something unique or different no matter how deep you dig or far you go.

So I guess what I'm talking around is that I'd like to see planets have elements of mystery or adventure to uncover that always give the player a reason to touch down and go exploring. Stuff like alien ruins, crashed ships, weird rock formations, crop circles, archaeological digs, cave systems, bandit camps, whatever. It certainly wouldn't need to be every planet and it wouldn't need to be a full dungeon or base to explore, just something memorable to go down and do a little treasure hunt for. That would make planets memorable by giving them a little story for the player, like "Oh that's the one I found that crystal skull on". I think I would even be happy with one kind of thing to find, like a big set of alien artifacts akin to secret packages in GTA, as long as there was something interesting about each. Even if it was just a random lore file or collectible thing to put on my dashboard, I would be happy having something to look for.

I'm not sure what kind of 'feel' you're going for with Kinetic Void, but I think that Star Trekky sense of wonder when you beam down to an alien world for the first time and know, really know something interesting is there to be found is a powerful feeling.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Peanut3141 posted:

That's kind of why I'd rather set up my own. Want to play at my own pace, not compete with sperglords the likes of my 14-year-old self.

Well if you ever do, make a thread for it in PGS or something, because I'd love to get a real TW2002 game going. Or Land of Devastation. Or even LoRD.. Been a long time. :D

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I've had this apparently sitting in my library uninstalled for who knows how long, but the OP date being my Brother's Birthday I'll take as some form of cosmic sign to install and finally check out. Between all the other things my short attention span is bouncing between.

Still, even with the early access amount of content at least that means I'll have more of a loving clue what I am doing or what all the controls are than in those X games I keep turning on then swiftly drowning in.

Man, I'm starting to feel like such an idiot that Freelancer is the only spacey ships game I have significantly played or beaten back in the day :saddowns: The old thread title X3:TC "Freelancer On Steroids" is what caught my attention because that's what I was hoping for (Oh sweet I can own more than one ship, make ships run trade lines, own my own station. On my own time as an offline solo play recluse), but I always drift off then forget everything about how the game works when it becomes more and more apparent that trying to get by in as ACE FIGHTER PILOT, IN SPACE when it comes to the combat end is just laughably suicidal.

As for planetary landings, I guess a pretty landing sequence and backdrop with some convenient menus? Or some place for pilots to mill about and chat between flying in the event of multiplayer (good luck you glorious bastards if you pull that off). Trying out Rebirth around it's launch kind of threw me off walking around stations or planets in Space Game unless getting to what you need is conveniently accessible.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 20, 2014

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The price in USD should probably be removed from the description for non-US customers since the USD/EUR (and probably other currencies) conversion is a bit off.

quote:

Kinetic Void is discounted by 33% while available as a Steam Early Access title. This is our way of saying thanks to our valued community for helping us test our game while it continues in its developmental progress. Once fully released, the game price will increase to $29.99 USD.
The game is currently priced at 18.99 EUR which is almost exactly 26 USD. I mean, it's only a couple of euros so not a huge deal, but it's a little strange to add it to your product description page if it's not accurate.

In the meanwhile I'm getting this from the Humble Store since their pricing is closer and they seem to be running a discount! :toot:

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Kv has changed a whole lot since we first hit Early Access, I know SEA has gained a stigma, and sadly there is nothing I or my team can do about it, we have always done our best with the development of KV and communicating and getting feedback from the players. We generally have a major patch once a month, and then do a couple small fixes as we work on the next round of implementation. The community we have is very helpful, even though the game is not done yet there is a bit to do, and more being included all the time.

Eruonen posted:

In the meanwhile I'm getting this from the Humble Store since their pricing is closer and they seem to be running a discount! :toot:

Yep I authorized being part of the humble spring sale at that price. I do not fear sales as they encourage new people to try out our game.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Hey, I was in the elder scrolls mumble with you when you mentioned KV, and vowed to get it, as it seemed like my cup of synthi-tee.
As you can guess, I was distracted, and have just got it now, Cheers!

Edit: Its Excellent, I can see myself enjoying myself with this for a long time, Will it eventually be possible to mod in meshes and textures?

staberind fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 21, 2014

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

staberind posted:

Hey, I was in the elder scrolls mumble with you when you mentioned KV, and vowed to get it, as it seemed like my cup of synthi-tee.
As you can guess, I was distracted, and have just got it now, Cheers!

Hey! Thanks for the support, the whole team appreciates it!

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I brought this back when it first hit steam. have not touched it since an hour, back when all you could do was custom build and fight the UI and controls

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Final result of my thought process, after few confused striker starts outside of creative mode and following instructions for "How To Target and Shoot Spacemans" not working.

:siren: BUY AMMO AND A SENSOR. DO IT. YOUR STRIKER DOES NOT COME WITH AMMO TO SHOOT GUNS OR A SENSOR TO LOCK TARGETS. :siren:

Ammo is located in trade goods. While the striker cockpit (and every other part of it) is Size 3, it would only let me equip a Size 2 sensor so buy one of those I guess. Discovering this put me from "Why space guns no work like internet instructions say?" to On screen indicators where enemies are, targeting them, and shooting them easily. Sure, the enemies decided to be three ships three times my size who blew me away instead of ships about my size when I unlocked the arcane secrets of Target Lock, but holy gently caress I could actually track them from a distance and target them. So definitely gonna get back to this later today with more enthusiasm now that the wonderful world of basic user interface and gun shooting outside of manual control has been opened up to me.

Bug report: While the main ESC menu seems to pause... It unpauses in the background despite the static image if you do something like, select options to look at your controls. This was initially discovered when I noticed my speed started going up, a "would you like to dock?" prompt showed up, and then I died :downs:

Camera question: How do you set it back to that very nice camera style it defaults to when you launch from the hangar? The one that gently reorients to behind your ship as you move. Controls listings and internet searches have not been very forthcoming in how to get that back once you switch to mouse control or Right click static camera so much as once.

EDIT: While it was super frustrating before I discovered "...I don't have a sensor... double checking with fresh start, nope no sensor", I'm optimistic in hoping that future questions will be more along the lines of "I get assigning one target and shooting one guy, but how do I make this FLYING BALL OF GUNS I saved up for target and shoot nine different people at once?"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
If you're gonna buy this, buy it as an "investment." I paid $7 for this maybe 9 months ago during a sale and have had it open just long enough to get the Steam Trading Cards. Needs a tutorial, needs things to do besides stick ship-part-looking blocks together. I'm hoping some time in the future (longer than the OP implies, imho) it'll resemble an actual game.

• Locked thread