Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Hedrigall posted:

Fans of Hearthstone might appreciate this: http://imgur.com/a/GZYp6

I feel like the dragons are missing a buff because 5/5 for 5 mana is way too low both in term of game balance and show continuity. I don't care how awesome a swordsman Ned once was, he could not solo a loving dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Hobohemian posted:

I thought this was as long boring OP free zone? What gives for the fake out? Is this revenge for all the spoilers?

Sadly its only a poll free zone. The long boring OP is necessary to remind viewers who Jaime, Jon and Reek are since apparently show watchers are retarded.

(and also to remind people of Osha and Rickon, two characters who will never, ever be seen again)

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

marktheando posted:

Did you miss all the posters who didn't know who Locke was when he showed up at the wall?

TBH, I didn't know who Locke was when he showed up at the wall, either. It took Bran two seasons to get from Winterfell to the Wall, so the last thing I was expecting was some random Bolton lackey to do it in an episode.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Malom posted:

What'll happen if Brienne meets up with Arya and Sandor? Brienne vs Hound fight?

Probably. However, they're both going to the same place with the same basic goal in mind. So as long as Brienne doesn't run her stupid mouth about honor and oaths and poo poo, I'm sure the Hound will let her join him at least as far as The Vale.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Can someone give me an example of why the prose in the book is bad? I feel like a dude who writes Tyrion/Bronn dialogue can't be a bad writer

GURM posted:

And suddenly his cock was out, jutting upward from his breeches like a fat pink mast. It looked so silly standing there that he might have laughed,

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

For people who say he's lovely, I wonder what their expectations were. For people who think he's the best ever, I wonder what else they've read. For goons, I assume the worst on both fronts simultaneously.

I don't think GRRM is all that terrible, but he does have a couple of bad habits that make getting through the books a chore. Character catchphrases is a big one, as are weird word choices (Starks don't walk, they "pad" everywhere because they're wolves--get it?) and so are 30 page chapters where nothing happens. I mean, there are quite a few Jaime chapters where its just him arguing with Lannister cousins over succession rights that will never, ever pay off. Plot should come first, world-building a distant second.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 20, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Evernoob posted:

Anyway back to the show: That combat is going to be episode 8. So what will happen in the usual episode 9 peak episode?

Pick one:

Ramsay's marching on Moat Cailin to reclaim it from the Ironborn.

Mance Raider is marching on the Wall.

Daario is going to recapture Yuunkai from the slavers.

And Stannis is taking out loans to buy ships and swords. He is planning on doing something with them.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

:shrug:

If I were writing the show, Dany would've conquered Westeros on the back of Drogon by season 2 and right now we'd be watching her kickstart global warming in the north as she burns the Night King alive.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I wish I had an English degree I could use to win petty dick waving contests on the internet.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

No More Heroes posted:

Gas thread ban 80,000 word OP's. With Lyssa dead does that mean Peter is Lord of the Vale? Or is that little titty-sucker Robin lord? If so I would imagine he'll be the next one out the Moon Door..

Trigger warning: succession chat

Sweetrobin is the Lord of the Vale and has been since his father's death in the first season. Littlefinger will, presumably, become Lord Protector of the Vale in Lysa's stead until the boy comes of age, but he has ZERO claim on the Eyrie. In the event of Sweetrobin's death, Lordship will pass to the next Arryn heir.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Macaluso posted:

That's one of the least out of nowhere guesses you could make

Except there's no reason to assume Oberyn would fight for Tyrion because the Mountain isn't declared Tywin's champion until this past episode.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Mance is arriving at the speed of plot. The only way I can see the Wall not falling is if the white walkers get in the way.

It takes me hours to defrost my freezer and the ice is only an inch thick. The Wall is like a dozen foot wide and 700 foot tall. It would take Mance months to do any significant damage, and even then, the Wall repairs itself constantly.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

marktheando posted:

Are they in danger of hitting that point soon? Which book is the show on now?

The show is on book 3 of 5, but books 4&5 take place at the same time. The safe bet is that the show will catch up with the books next year (season 5) and surpass them in two years (season 6).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

No More Heroes posted:

Its just a theory some dude made up about who Jon Snows mom might be..

You mean Lyanna Stark, with Robert as the father? It would certainly explain why Jon has thick black hair..

• Locked thread