Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Working in the field is for peasants :smug:
Dany and Jorah have been outdoors for years though. They should look positively mediterranean by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

Hand of the King posted:

How old are Tyrion and Oberyn at this time?
Jaime and Cersei are 40, and Cersei was old enough to be a miserable oval office in spoken words, so... 36? (Dinklage is 44)
Oberyn would have to be back around the 40+ area (Pascal is 39)

Macaluso posted:

Also didn't Sophie Turner like just turn 18? How loving weird was that scene to shoot for Littlefinger's actor who is like what, late 40s? :stonk:

edit: Also, how high up IS the Eyrie? Is it situated on top of a like a cliff? The shots through the moon door we get is overlooking mountains as if it was from an airplane's perspective.
Honestly, I thought Sophie was in for far worse than that the minute she turned 18 on this show :quagmire:
Give GRRM time, I guess.

The Eyrie, Season 1

The Eyrie, Season 4

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

Mister Fister posted:

Here's the new mountain again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhIqnAJE6IY

He's pants shittingly scary, i don't get where you guys are saying he isn't.

Season 1 Mountain:

Season 4 Mountain:

Pauldrons like a motherfucking Space Marine:

Get him back in his armour, and then we'll judge him.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

Jetrock posted:

Small claims court.
This is the best laugh I've had all week.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Hey quick question, I'm not sure I heard this entirely right: Did the Red Lady admit that 99% of what she does (apparently, except shadow-assassin-womb) is bullshit and is smoke & mirrors, like throwing stuff into the fire so people think the Lord of Light is actually involved?
"Fake it until you make it", I believe is the technical term.

She's got actual substance, but she leads with showmanship first.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Anyone who thinks Dany's story is dull doesn't remember Season 2. But yeah, it could be better.
I still want what I mentioned a year or so ago:

No more Dany episodes. No checking up on what's going on in Essos. Maybe a whisper of her from the small council, maybe not even that. Just forget her completely. Let the actress go film Terminator movies or something.

...then in episode 9, a group is marching up the Kingsroad on their way to "The Big Battle", all confident about smashing their outnumbered enemies, when there's a slight rustle in the bushes on the right and All loving Hell Breaks Loose. Three Dragons, finally fully grown, with riders*, come flying out of the sunrise with the unsullied not far behind, and lay waste to something we thought indestructible.
I'll welcome her back when that happens. Right now, she's just a timesink in a show that doesn't have time to spare each week. Her Masterstroke at Astapor was great fun, but that should have been about the end of it.

*Who's going to ride these dragons anyway? Back in Season 2, I was thinking Irri and Doreah were getting built up as the ones who were actually feeding and raising the Dragons, but that didn't work out so well

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

bUm posted:

The main idea behind it is: without some sort of flying assistance, there is literally no way an army could possibly ever attack/lay siege to the Eyrie since from (I think) Stone onwards it is a single-file trail the entire way (with every stage having attacking vantage points on the lower parts of the path).
Well, there's that bit about Climbing Spikes...

Pleasant Friend posted:

So can Littlefinger marry Sansa now? Or is her marriage to Tyrion still binding?
Innocent until proven guilty applies in Westeros, right? :)
No real reason it wouldn't be binding.

bar88537 posted:

I really hope that when Brienne and Pod catch up to The Hound and Ayra, they don't just kill each other. They can start a family and Brienne can protect her by settling down.
Lysa just got murdered, leaving the Vale in a panic. If Brienne or Sandor strolled up to the bloody gate, I don't know they'd even let them get close. I guess it all depends on whether people talk first or shoot first, because the three parties (Brienne, Sandor, Petyr) all seem to want roughly the same thing.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

BubbleGoose posted:

corny as gently caress

BubbleGoose posted:

give the Mountain his dew.
Oh you.

qxx posted:

Nobody (with the exception of Hot Pocket and now Team Brienne) knows that Arya is alive
Well, maybe:

precision posted:

Just give me a scene in the epilogue of the last season with Lord Bronn sitting on a throne with a few giggling whores running around and a giant mug in one hand.

SOMEONE needs a happy ending.
I thought we already agreed that the last scene would be Varys, sitting on the Iron throne, pulling his 14 inch dong out from between his legs.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

SoFarGone posted:

These posts are fun an all, but we know how this is really going to end. We've seen it twice. Once in Dany's vision at the House of the Undying and again this season in Bran's vision at the weirdwood tree.

Prophecies and visions in fiction always turn out exactly as expected with no room for interpretation.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
They're also not at 10,000 feet ASL up a goat trail.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
She gonna phone up Thoros and get him to put a child in a 11 year old? That's not how I read it.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

FRINGE posted:

Great worlds come back around again and again

Unless you obliterate them at the end :zaeed:

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

Perestroika posted:

If they went at it at a realistic pace it'd generally be over in a few seconds and you'd have a hard time following what happened until one of them falls over bleeding.

You know what causes me to have a hard time following what happens? Cutting the damned camera every 1.5 seconds.
I'd love to see more fight scenes in more shows/movies holding shots for longer. I know it's done because you need to swap stunt doubles in and out all the time*, but goddamn, I wish more actors could make less use of stunt doubles. It'll never happen, of course, but I can dream.

*and because a fake swing looks nothing like a real swing if you see it from the wrong angle

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

Umbra Dubium posted:

There you go, there's some impenetrable prose for you.

Give me ten good men and some climbing spikes.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

Ugly John posted:

The show is just as awesome if you're someone who's read all of the books unless you're a crazyperson.

That's a nice opinion.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
The Maesters appear to provide a wide range of inconsistent services. They can barely sterilise an amputated hand, but no-one's dick seems to fall off. I wonder how the whores manage to go more than a day on the job without getting pregnant.

Actually, no. I just remembered what thread I was in. I don't wonder that. Not here.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

wisdomHNOX posted:

It doesn't really matter. Regardless of his parentage, taking the Black means that any birthright he does or does not have is irrelevant.

Like I said in this thread (or was it the last one), The Nights Watch is pretty much destroyed. What happens to the oath when that ancient organisation no longer exists? I doubt there's much precedent, and if there's one thing for sure, it's that the rules go out the window when enough power/gold/circumstance is applied.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
I'm pretty sure the value of 100 means the whole damned lot. Rangers, Builders, Stewards. Castle Black, Eastwatch, Shadow.
My understanding is that they used to have thousands of people in ages past. Jon's claim of "a thousand" was taken at least a little bit seriously.

The way I see it, they're down to a few dozen men who can fight, and plenty of them are going to die when Mance finds his matches. Either they're getting reinforced very loving soon, or getting wiped out entirely is going to seem pretty plausible.

Stonefish fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 25, 2014

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

Aishan posted:

Do we know if anyone other than Jon and Sam from the ranging force actually made it back after the mutiny? Were they all wiped out?

Dolorous Edd and that other named character were part of the force. They were chained up, but made it back (somehow?). No-one else has been pointed out as having done so.

Edit: Let me just refer to my handy dandy OP... It was Grenn.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

Stonefish posted:

Either they're getting reinforced very loving soon, or getting wiped out entirely is going to seem pretty plausible.

And of course, as I put forth last time, what happens if some lord sees the threat and sends five thousand men to the wall to reinforce it? Do you think they'll want their sizeable force of loyal men to take the black? Of course not. So they simply won't. Aemon and Alliser and friends will be powerless to demand otherwise.
What happens to the organisation when 98% of the people aren't in it? It falls by the wayside.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

Irish Joe posted:

It takes me hours to defrost my freezer and the ice is only an inch thick. The Wall is like a dozen foot wide and 700 foot tall. It would take Mance months to do any significant damage, and even then, the Wall repairs itself constantly.

I don't know where the self repair bit comes from, but there's more than a dozen foot. Maybe if they filled the top with wildfire. Or thermite.

Four inch steel bars don't seem like much compared to all that.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
It's been years, but I still want a DVD extra of Tywin, Tyrion, Petyr, Varys and Bronn sitting around a campfire for fifteen hours, just drinking and talking. In or out of character. Whatever.

Awesome people with awesome voices, just going on about stuff. The Westerosi version of:

Stonefish fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
CGI suit of Stag armour voiced by Mark Addy?

• Locked thread