Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Moartoast posted:

After hearing about how like 10 different Ubisoft divisions had a hand in WD's development during its already long development time, I'm confident it will be fairly polished and a decent game, but I'm also confident it will have a whole bunch of eclectic design and superfluous crap all over the place.

Every single major Ubisoft developed game since Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood has had 6-10 studios working on it. It's just how they make games and they're really really good at it. Aside from Assassin's creed 3 I can't think of a bad Ubisoft and Friends game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gymp
Dec 9, 2003

I can think of a few http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-expendables-2-videogame

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Developer: ZootFly
Hmmmm.

I'm talking about Ubisoft as a developer here, they publish a loving ton of games and like most big publishers quite a few of them are terrible.
Seriously did you not understand what I meant by "Major Ubisoft developed games"? A lovely budget cash in by some developer nobody has ever heard of is basically the exact opposite of that.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I can't loving wait for this game to come out. Not so I can get my hands on it, though I do want to, but so this endless back and forth about whether or not it'll suck will END. ARRRGH!

Orv
May 4, 2011

hopterque posted:

Every single major Ubisoft developed game since Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood has had 6-10 studios working on it. It's just how they make games and they're really really good at it. Aside from Assassin's creed 3 I can't think of a bad Ubisoft and Friends game.

Child of Light was divisive and I definitely fall on the "not good" side of the track there.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Rookersh posted:

Ps4.

The Xbox One version looks really, really, really bad. At least that's if the screenshots posted have been real, and not messed with to trash the console.

PC is supposedly better looking then that Ps4 screenshot.

Looks good enough for me. Hopefully the frame rate's consistent (I know its 30, so hopefully no drops) won't have to bother with the PC version.

And I'd hope that the PC would be better considering the recommended specs. Just 1080p would help with some of the jaggies on the minimap.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Man, I about died laughing watching that "shoot everybody" video in the OP when the 911 operator said "You need to stay on the line!" after he shot one of the people calling. I'm guessing that's intended for if you jam the phones instead of splattering the caller, but works rather well for the other as well. Kinda interesting Chicago Online apparently sells grenade launchers and full auto rifles over the counter at your neighborhood gun shop also, though I was somewhat impressed they bothered have a sign talking about "deactivated floor models" to explain why you can't just shoot the store owner and grab all the obvious guns lying around. Wonder if that means weapons in the game has some sort of hacking component to them; if they have personalized safeties like those starting to show up in real life, maybe you could hack somebody's gun if you want a less violent means of taking them down.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

hopterque posted:

According to Ubisoft's wacky world view, they're one of the most critically acclaimed publishers so long as you only count an arbitrary number of titles and exclude certain critically acclaimed titles, handheld games, and Nintendo games:

I wonder how well they would do if they only counted games released games released on an odd numbered Thursday.

As for their development setup, the nature of Ubisoft's Mongol Horde of teams, especially for Assassin's Creed, is that they can produce master assets relatively early in development, reuse existing work, and build around a well-tested core gameplay design. They essentially have a psuedo-final state build early in development which they can use to build huge games, experiment with gameplay advancements, and coat it with AAA production values. It's getting the first game out that's the most difficult.

On the downside, it's very easy to get bottlenecked by the production chain, struggle to adapt old development tools to a new type of game, or just have a hard time getting the initial concept off the ground. It's how many of their Tom Clancy games were either stuck in development hell or had to be rebooted several times, such as Rainbow 6: Patriots.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I can't get into AC so I hope this ends up more then AC + GTA.

I doubt it though.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I took a closer look at the videos posted earlier, and one thing I was really happy about is this:

Skyscrapers aren't just textured boxes anymore - they have (somewhat) visible interiors. Of course, since you're mostly down on the ground (Can you even steal helicopters in this game?) it might just be a few lights on the ceiling, but it's a small detail that makes the city seem more real.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

acksplode posted:

Still feeling confident in the decision.

You're right to. I wanted to like 4, and it's definitely not as bad as 3, but it has the same problems that every other Ubisoft game has where it gets super loving boring and samey once you've done the same activity for the fifth time. Also the overall mission design is loving terrible. I don't think I rated any of them higher than three stars.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 19, 2014

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm looking forward to the multiplayer the most. The racing mode was designed by the team that made Driver.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

I said come in! posted:

I'm looking forward to the multiplayer the most. The racing mode was designed by the team that made Driver.

Wait what, really? That makes it better then.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Did Ubisoft ever confirm that missions were going to be like that early trailer where Aidan drags a guy out of a car and threatens him to get him to back down or is it just a GTA gunfest?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

I said come in! posted:

Source? 'Cause now we're talking if that's the case. I LOVED Driver.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

First person driving :allears:

http://gfycat.com/ComposedMeanHagfish

Orv
May 4, 2011

Finally! Greatly prefer first person driving but no crimebox game ever has it.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

You're right to. I wanted to like 4, and it's definitely not as bad as 3, but it has the same problems that every other Ubisoft game has where it gets super loving boring and samey once you've done the same activity for the fifth time. Also the overall mission design is loving terrible. I don't think I rated any of them higher than three stars.

Seriously question. Why do you keep playing the AC games if you don't like any of them?

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」

:fap:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Charles Martel posted:

Source? 'Cause now we're talking if that's the case. I LOVED Driver.

One of the teams working on the game is Ubisoft Reflections, Reflections being the developer of the Driver games, including Driver: San Francisco. The part of the game that they specifically worked on was the vehicle gameplay, which is why in gameplay videos the driving parts look a whole heck of a lot like Driver:SF in terms of how the cars control.

It's also almost certainly why we're getting the cool as heck in car cam.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 19, 2014

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

hopterque posted:

One of the teams working on the game is Ubisoft Reflections, Reflections being the developer of the Driver games, including Driver: San Francisco. The part of the game that they specifically worked on was the vehicle gameplay, which is why in gameplay videos the driving parts look a whole heck of a lot like Driver:SF in terms of how the cars control.

It's also almost certainly why we're getting the cool as heck in car cam.

Thats fantastic, Driver SF had probably my favourite driving gameplay in years. Get in first person, nail a huge drift through traffic, feel like the fantasy driver king.

Also weird and playful and goofy in a way that more games need to be. I really hope there is a new Driver game sometime.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
Haven't they even specifically stated that Watch Dogs was specifically being made as a Driver sequel before it grew into a larger project? Either way, I'm definitely happy that the driving mechanics will be similar to D:SF. Even seems to still have some tongue-in-cheek humour in there as well, which is nice to see in a game like this.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Gamesguy posted:

Seriously question. Why do you keep playing the AC games if you don't like any of them?

I didn't mean to say I don't like any of them; just not any of the recent ones. I used to like them a lot before 3, which was awful. Gave 4 a shot because I heard it was better, didn't end up liking it, am now pretty firmly sick of Ubisoft's open world formula, not sure I want to play any more of their games this year.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Moartoast posted:

Haven't they even specifically stated that Watch Dogs was specifically being made as a Driver sequel before it grew into a larger project? Either way, I'm definitely happy that the driving mechanics will be similar to D:SF. Even seems to still have some tongue-in-cheek humour in there as well, which is nice to see in a game like this.

I don't think this is true, Reflections isn't the primary dev on this they're just doing the driving bits as far as I know.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Moartoast posted:

Wasn't this The Crew?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

ShineDog posted:

Wasn't this The Crew?

Probably, The Crew is literally the Test Drive Unlimited devs and Reflections making an open world mmo racer thing together.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

AC4 was good drat amazing, after barely managing to finish AC3, AC4 was a breath of fresh air.

Brotherhood is the best AC game though, nothing beats whistling for help and your crew of killer ninjas comes out of everywhere and murders everyone around you.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
It seems from everything I've heard the PC version is the version to get. There's not much footage out there but reports from journalists are that the PC version is noticeably better looking when compared side to side. I wouldn't be surprised if the PC version maintains similar visual quality to the E3 2012 trailer and it's only the consoles that have suffered from the really noticeable visual downgrade, but perhaps that's just wishful thinking. But it stands to reason that if Watch Dogs was developed on the PC before the consoles were even announced that it remained the lead platform. I'd love to actually give my PC a workout.

If that's not the case however and it looks similar to the PS4 version, I'll probably just get that version.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

cat doter posted:

It seems from everything I've heard the PC version is the version to get. There's not much footage out there but reports from journalists are that the PC version is noticeably better looking when compared side to side. I wouldn't be surprised if the PC version maintains similar visual quality to the E3 2012 trailer and it's only the consoles that have suffered from the really noticeable visual downgrade, but perhaps that's just wishful thinking. But it stands to reason that if Watch Dogs was developed on the PC before the consoles were even announced that it remained the lead platform. I'd love to actually give my PC a workout.

If that's not the case however and it looks similar to the PS4 version, I'll probably just get that version.

It's definitely better on the PC if you have a rig that can handle it; the game looks great on PS4 from what I've seen, but it'll undoubtedly look even better on PC.

That being said, I haven't updated mine in forever, so I'll be going with console just so I don't feel the pang of having to turn down all the cool options in order to get a playable framerate.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Crappy Jack posted:

It's definitely better on the PC if you have a rig that can handle it; the game looks great on PS4 from what I've seen, but it'll undoubtedly look even better on PC.

That being said, I haven't updated mine in forever, so I'll be going with console just so I don't feel the pang of having to turn down all the cool options in order to get a playable framerate.

Fortunately I've got both a PS4 and a i5 3570k/AMD R9 290 system so I'm in a good position no matter how it turns out. Only problem is if PC version turns out horribly optimised, my PC struggled to maintain 60fps in AssCreed 4 even though the GPU was under 90%+ load constantly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I looked at the recommended system specs on Steam and gently caress that poo poo. My PC could only play this on low settings, it'll look better on PS4 for me and the frame rate will be higher.

quote:

Recommended:
OS: Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7 (SP1) or Windows 8 (Please note that we only support 64 bit OSs.)
Processor: Eight core - Intel Core i7-3770 @3.5 GHz or AMD FX-8350 X8 @ 4 GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: DirectX 11 graphics card with 2 GB Video RAM - Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 ti or AMD Radeon HD 7850

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

That processor recommendation looks highly suspect, perhaps they're simply over estimating.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

cat doter posted:

That processor recommendation looks highly suspect, perhaps they're simply over estimating.

On the other hand, they've talked about how the game was held back so they could add more stuff going on under the hood, so it's not impossible that the game's spinning a lot of plates at once as far as reactivity and whatnot.

Of course, the fact that this game is also coming out for PS3 and 360 kinda puts a damper on all that; if there were missing features in the last-gen versions, surely we'd have heard about it by now.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

On the other hand, they've talked about how the game was held back so they could add more stuff going on under the hood, so it's not impossible that the game's spinning a lot of plates at once as far as reactivity and whatnot.

Of course, the fact that this game is also coming out for PS3 and 360 kinda puts a damper on all that; if there were missing features in the last-gen versions, surely we'd have heard about it by now.

The developers mentioned the last gen versions are missing a lot of animations and npc variety.

Here's the minimum requirements by the way

OS: Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7 (SP1) or Windows 8 (Please note that we only support 64 bit OSs.)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66Ghz or AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.0Ghz
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: DirectX 11 graphics card with 1 GB Video RAM - Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 or AMD Radeon HD 5770
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive: 25 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Sound Card with Latest Drivers

VarXX fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 19, 2014

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.
Just realised that Monday is a Bank Holiday in England so high-street stores would likely receive delivery of stock on Saturday at the latest. Pretty cool if I'm right and you have a store that doesn't mind handing over games before release date.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I looked at the recommended system specs on Steam and gently caress that poo poo. My PC could only play this on low settings, it'll look better on PS4 for me and the frame rate will be higher.

I'm going to assume those are completely made up as a lot of specs are. A lot of the load is probably on that new lighting thing they're using for the PC version so that can probably be toggled off and you'll barely notice.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 19, 2014

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I found the SKUs chart for anyone who was curious:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What happened to just releasing one SKU? Why do we need all of these different editions of the game?

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

Mister Macys posted:

I found the SKUs chart for anyone who was curious:

'Next gen gaming'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

I said come in! posted:

What happened to just releasing one SKU? Why do we need all of these different editions of the game?
Retailers offering cash incentives for special/exclusive content.

• Locked thread