Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Zaphod42 posted:

Is there any reason to buy the "Deluxe" package if you're going to buy the Season Pass, or is that just a total waste then?

When you need an excel sheet to make sense of the packaging and even that isn't enough, something is horribly wrong.
No need to get the "Deluxe" version if you plan to get the Season Pass. The Season Pass includes all the "Deluxe" missions anyway.

One of the moderators on the Ubisoft Watch_Dogs forum confirmed that the Uplay version will not have a preload. Steam probably will not either since AC IV did not preload on Steam. I think I am going to get a physical PC version from Amazon since my connection is slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eliotlucas
Aug 6, 2006

staplegun posted:

Just a heads up that I just got an e-mail from GMG for a -25% off coupon that works on the base game and the season pass.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/watch-dogs-na/

Here's the e-mail:

This week, we've got some great deals on some of the biggest titles releasing soon.

Starting with this amazing 25% voucher, which is redeemable on several titles including: Murdered: Soul Suspect, Watch_Dogs, Watch_Dogs: Deluxe Edition, Watch_Dogs Season Pass, Wildstar and Wildstar Deluxe.

Don't hang around: head on over to GMG, place your order and apply the voucher code* below:
PT7ELX-1WPWNT-7UAGQZ

On top of this, if you pre-purchase Murdered: Soul Suspect, you'll receive a free copy of Quantum Conundrum.

The code is valid until 4pm UTC on Friday 23rd May. Don't miss it!

edit: Let me try not breaking the tables. Also apparently this doesn't allow you to use store credit with the coupon which is kind of a bummer.

edit2: You also get $9 instant cash back or $12 GMG credit on purchase of the game for reasons I'm not sure of but it's pretty awesome.

Just a head's up, I got the same email earlier today and tried to use the code on Watch_Dogs, but got the message "Unable to add the voucher." I've put a message into support, so we'll see.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

eliotlucas posted:

Just a head's up, I got the same email earlier today and tried to use the code on Watch_Dogs, but got the message "Unable to add the voucher." I've put a message into support, so we'll see.

I got the same. Hm.

eliotlucas
Aug 6, 2006

eliotlucas posted:

Just heard back from GMG support and apparently "the voucher is not compatible with the NA version of the game." So, too bad, I guess.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Azurrat posted:

Ever notice how people who don't care about something really want you to know that they don't care? :v:

I see new posts in this thread and I want to see cool new screenshots or videos but nooo it's just a bunch of babies arguing about preorders :mad:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Regarding that wccwhatever review. I wouldn't trust any part of it because the journalist there is clearly a hack. It's not just terribly written, it has no sense of professionalism at all. He says "The game is split into V acts." Who the hell uses roman numerals!? You only do that if it's the name of the thing, like "Act V," not as an actual enumeration.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

People that preorder are equally as dumb as people that complain about preorders on the Internet.

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」

Blue Raider posted:

People that preorder are equally as dumb as people that complain about preorders on the Internet.

tbh, we need neoseeker in here to tell us how this game is only developed to sell graphics cards.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Speedball posted:

Regarding that wccwhatever review. I wouldn't trust any part of it because the journalist there is clearly a hack. It's not just terribly written, it has no sense of professionalism at all. He says "The game is split into V acts." Who the hell uses roman numerals!? You only do that if it's the name of the thing, like "Act V," not as an actual enumeration.

I don't think anyone here was taking it seriously to begin with tbh.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Blue Raider posted:

let me tell you about preorders and how upset they make me. It all started when

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So my wife, who does not play video games, tells me she wants this one. Apparently she's been watching it on tumblr or something. Is she crazy? Is this a (the?) game for non-gamers?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Lotish posted:

So my wife, who does not play video games, tells me she wants this one. Apparently she's been watching it on tumblr or something. Is she crazy? Is this a (the?) game for non-gamers?

I'd guess it's as much of a non-gamer game as the GTA series.
Hard to say, though, since it's not out yet.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

eliotlucas posted:

Just heard back from GMG support and apparently "the voucher is not compatible with the NA version of the game." So, too bad, I guess.

The voucher works on the Season Pass just fine.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Found this for any UK Goons - Game Seek have Watch Dogs (Day 1 Edition? I don't know) for 25-pounds.
http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/VideoGamesn2ch24ukge/Watch-Dogs-Day-1-Edition#desc

Gameseek seem to be legit - this may be the cheapest pre-order around for physical?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Broken Cog posted:

I'd guess it's as much of a non-gamer game as the GTA series.
Hard to say, though, since it's not out yet.

Yeah, I mean, my wife isn't a gamer and she still gets excited about wandering around San Andreas or poking around crime scenes in LA Noire. Sometimes folks are just interested in stuff.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, she was really big into making houses in Skyrim when Hearthfire launched.

Do you get to change the dude's outfit in this game? Like, in the multiplayer are you all just Aiden clones walking around loving with each other, or are there different models/coats/hats?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, I mean, my wife isn't a gamer and she still gets excited about wandering around San Andreas or poking around crime scenes in LA Noire. Sometimes folks are just interested in stuff.

LA Noire is a giant tragedy because about 98% of the city goes utterly unused.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Lotish posted:

Do you get to change the dude's outfit in this game? Like, in the multiplayer are you all just Aiden clones walking around loving with each other, or are there different models/coats/hats?

You can unlock new outfits by buying them in clothing stores, accomplishing certain goals in certain city games, or some pre-orders.

Whatever you do he's still a dude in a hat and coat, but different outfits change the textures and colors thereof: parkas vs. trenchcoats, khakis vs. jeans vs. slacks, etc.

Also, IIRC, in multiplayer modes you're still Aiden but the other guys you're dealing with appear to you as randomly-generated humans.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Wanderer posted:

You can unlock new outfits by buying them in clothing stores, accomplishing certain goals in certain city games, or some pre-orders.

Whatever you do he's still a dude in a hat and coat, but different outfits change the textures and colors thereof: parkas vs. trenchcoats, khakis vs. jeans vs. slacks, etc.

Also, IIRC, in multiplayer modes you're still Aiden but the other guys you're dealing with appear to you as randomly-generated humans.

Oh, so it's different from GTA Online where you come up with the look of your friendly neighborhood thrillseeker and go to town? The game will automatically make you blend in with the crowd? Sweet. Really adds to the sense of paranoia you'll likely have during even just the free roaming sections of the game.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah we just got back from Palm Springs and I was showing my wife the wind turbines and stuff in Sandy Shores (GTA V) and she was blown away by the similarity. Same thing with the LA/Los Santos side, only we have visited that before the game came out. She always wants to drive around, even though she can't get the hang of it.

The only other post-SNES series she's ever cared about is NHL.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Blue Raider posted:

Yeah people who preorder are ruining the ozone layer.

Lotish posted:

My wife thought the live action prank video was hilarious, and was curious about the game, she's the type that she will rarely play one, but if she likes one will sit by me and watch me play and get into it. I was thinking that this could be one of those titles.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Lars Blitzer posted:

Oh, so it's different from GTA Online where you come up with the look of your friendly neighborhood thrillseeker and go to town? The game will automatically make you blend in with the crowd? Sweet. Really adds to the sense of paranoia you'll likely have during even just the free roaming sections of the game.

Yep, there's no avatar selection or anything like that, you'll always look like Aiden to you and everybody else will look like random civvies, but the same goes for every other player; they see themselves as Aiden and everybody including you look like random dudes.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
Except your movements will probably give you away

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Dvlos posted:

Except your movements will probably give you away

In the leaked gameplay video someone was hacking the player by hiding in a car in an alley, and that actually seemed like a pretty good hiding place because they were not immediately apparent.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Speedball posted:

In the leaked gameplay video someone was hacking the player by hiding in a car in an alley, and that actually seemed like a pretty good hiding place because they were not immediately apparent.

Exactly. Hide around a corner. Tuck into a car. Stand in the middle of a crowd. Blend in. Yes, if you're running around like a jackass you're going to give yourself away immediately, but how is a player going to be able to tell which one of the 70 people in the park you are if they're all just casually walking around or standing in one place?

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
The scanning someone doesn't seem instant, although if you're in a crowd and he makes you it will be pretty easy for him to blast you if he doesn't care enough about his reputation.

I'm a little worried about getting invaded every 30 seconds since in that video he had just dealt with a guy and instantly got invaded again but that could have been the lack of people in the general pool to pick from.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

LegoMan posted:

The scanning someone doesn't seem instant, although if you're in a crowd and he makes you it will be pretty easy for him to blast you if he doesn't care enough about his reputation.

I'm a little worried about getting invaded every 30 seconds since in that video he had just dealt with a guy and instantly got invaded again but that could have been the lack of people in the general pool to pick from.

The more you invade other people, the more you get invaded. The system is set up as a risk/reward thing, basically, where if you don't invade a lot of games, you're lower on the queue, essentially. So hopefully you're not getting continually invaded if you're the kind of player who'd rather just take their time and do their own thing.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Crappy Jack posted:

Exactly. Hide around a corner. Tuck into a car. Stand in the middle of a crowd. Blend in. Yes, if you're running around like a jackass you're going to give yourself away immediately, but how is a player going to be able to tell which one of the 70 people in the park you are if they're all just casually walking around or standing in one place?

Don't you have to run around like a jackass because of the limited time they have to complete their hack? Hell, if you got in a car and drove in any direction they'd have to give themselves away

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
That's a cool system then. I don't mind being invaded at all but one thing I wanted to do with this game is something I never get around doing in open worlds: getting to know the area. I typically beat the game really fast and be done with it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Blister posted:

Don't you have to run around like a jackass because of the limited time they have to complete their hack? Hell, if you got in a car and drove in any direction they'd have to give themselves away

If you're the one being hunted, yes, you have to run around to find the guy hacking you, but he already knows where you are anyway, so it doesn't matter. If you're the one hacking, no, once you start a hack, you have to stay within a certain circle on the map, so if you start a hack and drive off, you lose. You have to stay within a certain radius of where you start the hack, so the target at least has a general idea of where you're hiding. But the target can't just run away. If the person you're hacking hops in a car and drives off, all they're doing is just giving you more time to finish the hack.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I was struck by how natural the taco truck seemed in the 9 minute MP preview thing. They were rewinding the initial section to look at the other guys view and the taco truck just goes by, and the only reason I noticed it was because it was the second time watching the video. If you're smart about it I imagine it wouldn't be all that hard to complete a hack.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

There is a countermeasure to that, though--the search radius becomes smaller over time too so they'll start to home in on you eventually unless they're a complete imbecile about it. I'm not sure if the search radius becoming smaller happens if you scan a lot of people in one spot or if it's just time-based. Still interesting either way.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Wanderer posted:

Oh, so it's like all the players are these self-deceptive goons who think they're the "super cool" super hacker when they're really just the same schlubs as everyone else. That's kind of funny.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

grrarg posted:

No need to get the "Deluxe" version if you plan to get the Season Pass. The Season Pass includes all the "Deluxe" missions anyway.

One of the moderators on the Ubisoft Watch_Dogs forum confirmed that the Uplay version will not have a preload. Steam probably will not either since AC IV did not preload on Steam. I think I am going to get a physical PC version from Amazon since my connection is slow.

Well not on PC, since PC deluxe is the 3 SP missions, plus a Dedsec mission set that is apparently two hours long by itself.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
No more talk about preordering? But that was pretty fun.

I preordered as soon as it was available on Steam. I understand that makes neckbeards angry though.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Mr Scumbag posted:

No more talk about preordering? But that was pretty fun.

I preordered as soon as it was available on Steam. I understand that makes neckbeards angry though.

I preordered the deluxe edition on steam instead of the variety of discounted versions because I wanted the steam overlay. :hfive:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I preordered the gold version on PSN so I can wake up the next day and have it already downloaded and installed. Also extra stuff.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Watch Dogs is one of the very first retail games I've ever preordered. The first was the remastered the Last of Us, because come on it's The Last of Us. This'll be the second, because of the aforementioned "It's there when I get home" factor, and I also got the Gold edition, because Darkman. This generation has already broken me.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

quote:

WATCH_DOGS Season Pass

Stay connected to the world of Watch_Dogs!

Download the Season Pass to save over 25% and get immediate access to the Untouchable pack which includes a new skin and a driving boost.

The Season Pass contains a new Single Player Campaign featuring the legendary hacker T-Bone as a new playable character, 3 additional missions for the main game, 3 new weapons and 5 additional skins. It also includes a new mind bending game mode in which cyborgs are invading Chicago. Track them and take them down!

In a world led by technology, hacking is our weapon.

Buy the Season pass and get one week early access to all DLC content

T-Bone? Cyborgs? What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Nckdictator posted:

T-Bone? Cyborgs? What?

T-Bone's the conspiracy nut that's also a Rob Zombie lookalike, cyborgs are probably another digital trip thing. They showed some of this stuff in a recent trailer for the season pass IIRC.

• Locked thread