Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Fingers McLongDong posted:

So here's my junk midrange list and GP trip report for those who were asking:

4x Noble Hierarch
2x Birds of Paradise
4x Voice of Resurgence
2x Scavenging Ooze
1x Qasali Pridemage
4x Kitchen Finks
4x Siege Rhino
1x Thrun, the Last Troll

4x Lingering Souls
4x Path to Exile
2x Abrupt Decay
2x Maelstrom Pulse

1x Sorin, Solemn Visitor
1x Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

4x Windswept Heath
2x Verdant Catacombs
1x Marsh Flats
2x Horizon Canopy
2x Gavony Township
2x Temple Garden
2x Overgrown Tomb
1x Godless Shrine
1x Stirring Wildwood
1x Shambling Vents
1x Ghost Quarter
1x Westvale Abbey
2x Forest
1x Plains
1x Swamp

Sideboard:
3x Thoughtseize
2x Pithing Needle
2x Surgical Extraction
2x Stony Silence
2x Spellskite
1x Engineered Explosives
1x Gaddock Teeg
1x Linvala, Keeper of Silence
1x Painful Truths

Thanks, I'm working on Junk too and kind of want to rip most of this list off. Some brain-picking:

--No maindeck discard? I feel like most Junk lists I see have a few discard spells in the main (TS or IoK), and in the case of TS you have more than enough ways of mitigating the life loss here. Meta call, or something you just never need by default?

--I remember you asking about Thrun vs Sigarda in the main thread and had people telling you to run Sigarda. Why'd you go with Thrun, and were there times you wish you had Sigarda?

--How relevant is the Exalted on Noble Hierarch? I have a grip of BoP already and am having trouble working up the nerve to get Hierarchs as they can only produce 2 relevant colors vs. 3 (also price tag). Feels like your deck could go wide pretty well, making Exalted not relevant as often.

--Did Westvale Abbey actually do anything for you?

Mr.Booger posted:

This the right place to discuss "budget" jank Legacy decks I am building?

Mono-Green control:

2x Acidic Slime
1x Beacon of Creation
1x Biorhythm
3x City of Solitude
2x Dryad Arbor
2x Elvish Mystic
2x Eternal Witness
2x Garruk Wildspeaker
2x Ghost Quarter
1x Green Sun's Zenith
2x Kodama's Reach
2x Plow Under
4x Root Maze
1x Rude Awakening
2x Sakura-Tribe Elder
1x Smokestack
1x Sylvan Library
2x Tangle Wire
3x Thermokarst
2x Trinisphere
2x Umbilicus
2x Tinder Wall
1x Deranged Hermit
17x Forest

SB:
3x Hidden Herd
3x Bind
whole lot of other options I haven't tried yet:
Avoid Fate
Dosan
some spirit guides would probably go main and move soemthing else here.

Any thoughts on odd ball greenies that don't see a ton of play that might be fun/interesting in a non-pure LD stacks shell?

If you want to play mono green in Legacy you might as well play 12Post, but there might be something to this idea. Maybe if you focus the design around quickly ramping into some lockdown effects (City of Solitude), then casting Tooth and Nail for Emrakul + Xenagos, God of Revels to kill in one swing. Which is I guess is akin to what 12Post wants to do, but with the extra step of lockdown effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Trying to stay away from the usual green win-cons, no big stompy things, kill em with insects, squirrels, the odd acidic slime, basically whatever is handy while locking them down and killing their permanents.

Here is what I have so far, gonna sleeve it up for a causal FNM and see how she goes:

Sorcery (12)
1x Beacon of Creation
1x Biorhythm
2x Green Sun's Zenith
2x Kodama's Reach
2x Plow Under
1x Rude Awakening
3x Thermokarst

Artifact (5)
1x Smokestack
2x Tangle Wire
2x Umbilicus

Planeswalker (1)
1x Garruk Wildspeaker

Creature (12)
2x Acidic Slime
1x Deranged Hermit
1x Dosan the Falling Leaf
3x Elvish Mystic
2x Eternal Witness
3x Sakura-Tribe Elder

Enchantment (10)
2x City of Solitude
3x Hidden Herd
4x Root Maze
1x Sylvan Library

Land (20)
1x Dryad Arbor
17x Forest
2x Ghost Quarter

Sideboard (15)
2x Bind
2x Choke
2x Guttural Response
2x Hidden Gibbons
2x Hidden Guerrillas
2x Lifeforce
2x Null Rod
1x Seedtime

Ghost Quarters may become wastelands if I open lucky on ETM packs. Also had to drop a Dryad arbor as I cannot seem to find my playset, just the one.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

Thanks, I'm working on Junk too and kind of want to rip most of this list off. Some brain-picking:

--No maindeck discard? I feel like most Junk lists I see have a few discard spells in the main (TS or IoK), and in the case of TS you have more than enough ways of mitigating the life loss here. Meta call, or something you just never need by default?

--I remember you asking about Thrun vs Sigarda in the main thread and had people telling you to run Sigarda. Why'd you go with Thrun, and were there times you wish you had Sigarda?

--How relevant is the Exalted on Noble Hierarch? I have a grip of BoP already and am having trouble working up the nerve to get Hierarchs as they can only produce 2 relevant colors vs. 3 (also price tag). Feels like your deck could go wide pretty well, making Exalted not relevant as often.

--Did Westvale Abbey actually do anything for you?

Nope, no maindeck discard. I wanted a more aggressive route with creatures that spot removal strategies would have a hard time dealing with. Think of it as "junk value aka junk 2-for-1". I'm not using goyfs, Liliana or delving into a tasigur so the maindeck discard seemed less synergistic. I wasn't expecting much combo so I'd rather force people to dump their hand trying to keep the board clean. Ever seen someone 4-for-1 themselves trying to keep spirit tokens off the field? I have. So basically no discard was the compromise I made towards being more aggressive expecting nahiri decks, while also being prepared for zoo decks.

I alllmost put Sigarda in and I'm glad I didn't. Ultimately it came down to a conversation with groupmates on the way there, and we agreed that the "can't be countered" text was more relevant, along with supreme verdict not killing Thrun. It was 100% the right call and I'm going to be maindecking thrun for a while. Topdecking Thrun and windmill slamming it against control players knowing they couldn't stop it felt amazing. Liliana decks are terrible against me anyways and 4 mana is the magic sweet spot for the deck.

If you don't have hierarchs, just run birds until you get them. They are relevant though. Black is just a splash color in my build and I felt like I got the manabase close to perfect, or it felt that way 98% of the time so getting a black source wasn't hard. You only ever really need 1 black source anyway. Exalted allowing your siege rhino or Thrun to swing into tasigur was relevant quite a few times though. Being able to swing a single souls token in for extra damage and leave the rest back to block affinity's x/1's or infect creatures is also good. You'd be surprised at how often you notice it.

Westvale Abbey is fine. Truthfully, I never got to activate it all weekend, but that's partly because people would see it and begin prioritizing keeping me below 5 creatures so it definitely influenced some games in my favor. One grixis player kept having to burn bolts and terminates on souls tokens to keep me under 5 creatures while he was at 9 life, which means it was working.

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 25, 2016

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

So with EMA coming out it might be a good idea to have an updated OP w/ some decks for people to try that highlight EMA cards. Could set it up as like, "HERE ARE THE CARDS YOU CAN GET IN EMA", "HERE ARE THE RESERVED LIST CARDS", "HERE ARE SOME ALTERNATIVES".

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Skyl3lazer posted:

So with EMA coming out it might be a good idea to have an updated OP w/ some decks for people to try that highlight EMA cards. Could set it up as like, "HERE ARE THE CARDS YOU CAN GET IN EMA", "HERE ARE THE RESERVED LIST CARDS", "HERE ARE SOME ALTERNATIVES".

everyone should build DnT, it walks all over storm and miracles, and loses to my 4x Gaea's Cradle deck.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Skyl3lazer posted:

no b/c u see breakfast burrito is the only

sorry i couldnt finish that thought seriously

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

everyone should build DnT, it walks all over storm and miracles, and loses to my 4x Gaea's Cradle deck.

It's not all that bad against Elves. I honestly think it's favored post-board. We get so many haymakers between Jitte, Containment Priest, Canonist, possibly Humility.

Of course it can't ever beat Eldrazi so there's that.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

suicidesteve posted:

It's not all that bad against Elves. I honestly think it's favored post-board. We get so many haymakers between Jitte, Containment Priest, Canonist, possibly Humility.

Hey you can play Moat and win via flickerwisp and wingmare

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

Hey you can play Moat and win via flickerwisp and wingmare

I can't wait to have my $350, 4 mana spell resolve through a bunch of Thalias and Thorns and turn 2 Thought-Knots!

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

If you're playing white, have you heard of our lord and savior terminus? Also, playing blue?

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

I've played a ton of D&T vs Eldrazi, and the matchup seems favored for Mono-White People and Ponies. Wasteland and Ports are huge. Elves on the other hand, is way more often than not an awful time.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

My lye is doing modern for modern masters. Should I take my winnings in mm or mm15? I am legit uncertain which has the better money rares.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Hm, Humility, Moat, Terminus... If only there was a deck where we could play all of these haymakers that are great against the field...

*"The Mighty Quinn" begins playing softly in the background*

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

numerrik posted:

My lye is doing modern for modern masters. Should I take my winnings in mm or mm15? I am legit uncertain which has the better money rares.

mtgstocks has a EV listing for boosters/boxes:

http://www.mtgstocks.com/sets/220

http://www.mtgstocks.com/sets/248

MM Booster EV is like $12 TCG Low, and MM15 Booster EV is like $6.

Go with MM boosters over MM15, then sell the cards you don't like and buy the MM15 cards you want.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

AgentSythe posted:

Hm, Humility, Moat, Terminus... If only there was a deck where we could play all of these haymakers that are great against the field...

*"The Mighty Quinn" begins playing softly in the background*

Clearly you mean Moat Stompy.

Way long ago, I got to borrow all the sol lands and 4 copies of moat and just had a blast. I was at the weekly, playing against the resident goblins player. I cast 2x chrome mox, imprinting 2 moats, played my ancient tomb and cast a third moat. He conceded the match on the spot.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

Clearly you mean Moat Stompy.

Way long ago, I got to borrow all the sol lands and 4 copies of moat and just had a blast. I was at the weekly, playing against the resident goblins player. I cast 2x chrome mox, imprinting 2 moats, played my ancient tomb and cast a third moat. He conceded the match on the spot.

if I still had my city of traitors i'd do it. well that;s not true, i'd play braids stacks instead

also currently having a conversation on if playing a darksteel citadel in Quinn so I have a colorless land I can E. Tutor for to play warping wail is "going too deep." bad decks are great

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

AgentSythe posted:

if I still had my city of traitors i'd do it. well that;s not true, i'd play braids stacks instead

also currently having a conversation on if playing a darksteel citadel in Quinn so I have a colorless land I can E. Tutor for to play warping wail is "going too deep." bad decks are great

You know, that doesnt actually seem that bad. My favorite bad deck is still solidarity. It was great when dig was legal, but not its back to mediocre. Which means noone expects it!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

L0cke17 posted:

You know, that doesnt actually seem that bad. My favorite bad deck is still solidarity. It was great when dig was legal, but not its back to mediocre. Which means noone expects it!

Play the deck that you have the most fun with it! If it's not a great deck, then playing with it a lot and learning the nuances will make you better with it. This is how I, when playing Esper Mill, somehow walk away from every event having hit prize payout.

Speaking of Mill, this deck posted an 8-0-1 Day 1 at GP LA then bombed out in Day 2. It's a pretty interesting take, utilizing Manic Scribe and Mesmeric Orb for that traditional Millstone feeling (in addition to your staple Mill spells). I just don't like both Ensnaring Bridge and Jace's Phantasm as maindeck defense (and honestly I don't like either in the 75 at all), but it also has Set Adrift which seems pretty funny in a Mill deck. So I came up with this take on the idea-

Deck: Triggered Mill

//Lands
2 Darkslick Shores
3 Flooded Strand
3 Ghost Quarter
1 Hallowed Fountain
2 Island
2 Marsh Flats
4 Polluted Delta
2 Shelldock Isle
2 Swamp
2 Watery Grave

//Spells
4 Archive Trap
3 Crypt Incursion
4 Glimpse the Unthinkable
4 Mesmeric Orb
3 Mind Funeral
1 Set Adrift
4 Surgical Extraction
4 Visions of Beyond

//Creatures
4 Hedron Crab
4 Manic Scribe
2 Snapcaster Mage

//Sideboard
1 Echoing Truth
3 Hide // Seek
2 Hurkyl's Recall
3 Pithing Needle
3 Profane Memento
3 Set Adrift

Display deck statistics

Thoughts? I want to try this instead of my Esper list next Modern event I get to, it's just too bad that Mesmeric Orb is $12 now and I need two more :smith: But Shelldock Isle is the same price :lol:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I didn't watch the coverage, but... man, there's no way Manic Scribe works, right? It's not like you have symmetrical mill so you can easily bin an orb or one of your dudes. Is 2 mana for a blocker and mill 3 good enough?

I know there are some NoVA goons that lurk around this thread and I'm thinking of playing noted bad format Modern at Curio for the super IQ this weekend. Anyone else thinking of going? I'm trying to decide between Elves and Stompy. i have Ascendancy too but not nearly enough reps to feel comfortable taking it to Curio.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I'm going to try burn for modern FNM. This is a budget take on it since I'm not going to put money into Goblin Guides and fetches (right now).

Deck: W/B Burn

//Creature
4 Keldon Marauders
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
2 Grim Lavamancer

//Spell
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lava Spike
4 Rift Bolt
4 Shard Volley
4 Boros Charm
4 Skullcrack
2 Lightning Helix

//Land
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Battlefield Forge
12 Mountain

//Sideboard
4 Ash Zealot
2 Dragon's Claw
2 Wear // Tear
4 Smash to Smithereens
3 Molten Rain

Display deck statistics

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

AgentSythe posted:

I didn't watch the coverage, but... man, there's no way Manic Scribe works, right? It's not like you have symmetrical mill so you can easily bin an orb or one of your dudes. Is 2 mana for a blocker and mill 3 good enough?

With 4 orbs, it cant be that hard?

C-Euro posted:

Play the deck that you have the most fun with it! If it's not a great deck, then playing with it a lot and learning the nuances will make you better with it. This is how I, when playing Esper Mill, somehow walk away from every event having hit prize payout.

Thats what I do in vintage! I play awful 5 color moat control piles every month, and walk away with more than I came in with. Noone seems to figure out how to beat it consistently beat it. In legacy I just play miracles though. I've gotten in so much practice and its the best deck by far so its pretty easy to crush with it. Its all about topping quickly and knowing what matters to even try to counterbalance, and what to let go through so you have time to win.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

If you can't afford fetches then Lavamancer won't do you much good; I'd cut him for something else for right now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

AgentSythe posted:

That's the main thing I want to figure out. As pointed out, Mesmeric Orb does mill you as well so that will likely put you into Delerium. It's probably more effective in the GP deck where there's a more even spread of card types, but again I eschewed Bridge and Phantasm in my take. Or if you chump with a Scribe, then that all but guarantees that you'll have Delerium when you cast the next one.

I didn't see Scribe really go off for him, his one match that was on camera was against Joe Lossett's Tron (which would eventually make Top 8) and it was over in ~15 minutes. I don't recall seeing Scribe hit play though he did get an Orb both games which would have made Scribe really effective (it also dodges Pyroclasm in that matchup, but Joe was running Bolts anyway).

Sep 13, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

If you can't afford fetches then Lavamancer won't do you much good; I'd cut him for something else for right now.

I remembered I could get Bloodstained Mires and Wooded Foothills.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

C-Euro posted:

That's the main thing I want to figure out. As pointed out, Mesmeric Orb does mill you as well so that will likely put you into Delerium. It's probably more effective in the GP deck where there's a more even spread of card types, but again I eschewed Bridge and Phantasm in my take. Or if you chump with a Scribe, then that all but guarantees that you'll have Delerium when you cast the next one.

I didn't see Scribe really go off for him, his one match that was on camera was against Joe Lossett's Tron (which would eventually make Top 8) and it was over in ~15 minutes. I don't recall seeing Scribe hit play though he did get an Orb both games which would have made Scribe really effective (it also dodges Pyroclasm in that matchup, but Joe was running Bolts anyway).

He pretty much won that because he got an Orb both games and Joe milled like, 8 lands in the 9 lands he milled from the Orbs in both games. It's still a bad matchup for Tron but it kinda seems like Joe lost to bad luck more than anything.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hellspark Elemental may be a better source of consistent damage.

suicidesteve posted:

He pretty much won that because he got an Orb both games and Joe milled like, 8 lands in the 9 lands he milled from the Orbs in both games. It's still a bad matchup for Tron but it kinda seems like Joe lost to bad luck more than anything.

Tron is probably Mill's best matchup after Scapeshift if you are playing maindeck Extirpate/Surgical. And with Eye banned, people are playing Emrakul less, making G1 much better. I think I've only lost a match once to Tron playing Mill, and that was due to not having a Surgical and hitting the Emrakul twice.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 26, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

GoutPatrol posted:

Tron is probably Mill's best matchup after Scapeshift if you are playing maindeck Extirpate/Surgical. And with Eye banned, people are playing Emrakul less, making G1 much better. I think I've only lost a match once to Tron playing Mill, and that was due to not having a Surgical and hitting the Emrakul twice.

This guy wasn't running them maindeck, which I thought was kind of risky as they are super-useful in a Mill deck. But yes, the fact that those decks aren't running Emrakul anymore is a huge help, so while it's not a slam-dunk matchup it's gotten a lot better in the last year or so (the only games I've lost to Tron variants have come from severe mana flooding).

The card I least want to see Tron cast is probably Karn, as I have no way of dealing with it and it gives me two turns to win before they restart the game with a Wurmcoil or Ulamog in play and :(

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

AgentSythe posted:

I know there are some NoVA goons that lurk around this thread and I'm thinking of playing noted bad format Modern at Curio for the super IQ this weekend. Anyone else thinking of going? I'm trying to decide between Elves and Stompy. i have Ascendancy too but not nearly enough reps to feel comfortable taking it to Curio.

Go for it! I'm head judging the event :)

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

Go for it! I'm head judging the event :)

if you see a fat nerd casting an Avatar of the Resolute, there's high odds it's me

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

AgentSythe posted:

if you see a fat nerd casting an Avatar of the Resolute, there's high odds it's me

Feel free to come up and say hi, it would probably be easier.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Who's going to GP Columbus?

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/361505#paper

Went to my lgs with this and went 1 and 2. Any suggestions to upgrade the deck?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Spark Elemental is bad. Don't run it ever. Hellspark at least has the option to get up to 6 damage in, spark elemental isn't guaranteed damage. Honestly, I would replace the spark and hellspark elementals with Goblin guide and Monastery swiftspear for much more explosive draws. If you cant afforde guides, just replace spark elemental with swiftspear and you'll do better already.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

numerrik posted:

Cut aggressive mining. Add something to the board that kills Kor Firewalkers. Either Pyrite Spellbomb or that devoid card from OGW that deals 2 damage.

Honestly though 1-2 is about what I would expect from budget burn. It folds to pretty much any sideboard hate. Goblin Guides and Eidolon of the Great Revel would be non-budget cards to look into.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

mcmagic posted:

Thinking about it. Need to try and get some more play time though. Paying that kinda money to only make silly mistakes seems like a bad idea.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

C-Euro posted:

I feel like if you point scribe at yourself on the ETB, it should get you pretty close to delirium, and then you get to hit them on their upkeep with it (and every subsequent upkeep?)

It still seems a bit loose.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Scribe does not work the way you think it does.

Sep 13, 2007

numerrik posted:

Like others have said, Goblin Guide and Eidolon of the Great Revel are extremely good but pricy (especially the Guides). Monastery Swiftspears are also really good.

Without fetches I wouldn't bother with Searing Blaze, if you need a similar effect then Searing Blood works. Zurgo Bellstriker might be another creature to look at, or Ash Zealot. But to be honest I would stick a second color in the deck. Green gives you Atarka's Command and sideboard Destructive Revelry. White gives you Boros Charm, Lightning Helix, and sideboard Kor FIrewalker, Wear // Tear, Deflecting Palm, and Path to Exile.

I've found there's a pretty standard list of cards depending on if you want to go Boros, Gruul, or Naya. Mono-red burn isn't that great since you have to go for cards like Magma Jet.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

http://imgur.com/23ldgXB

I love the miracles mirror with the legends build. I guess my opponent doesn't!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Rogue0071 posted:

http://imgur.com/23ldgXB

I love the miracles mirror with the legends build. I guess my opponent doesn't!

Wait did this idiot think that Monastery Mentor was a one of or was it a different 3?

mcmagic posted:

I'm going since it's about a 4 hour drive.

• Locked thread