Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Are there any decks in legacy that only run 2 of the staples? I found out I have an odd number of several fetches, FOW and wastelands, 2 extra, and am wondering if I can build a deck with the extras so I don't have to acquire the rest of the play sets. Assume the rest of any possible deck is taken care of.

I'm trying to see if I can supply enough decks to make legacy a thing at our LGS. Currently I have 5 standalone legacy decks because I am dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dang, thought you could get away with a couple 2-ofs of forces or wastelands in niche decks. Might just start trading for power cuz there's not much else to trade for. Maybe a bunch of goyfs so I can scrooge dive into them!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thanks for the update and rationale. I've been on a miracles kick the past several months so I've let my knowledge of stoneblade falter. I did remember a couple 2-of wasteland decks way back but it's sad to hear that's no longer the case.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What do you guys think of some of the cards spoiled for conspiracy? Most look bad but I see potential in council's judgment in control deck sideboards. Takes care of UG problem creatures.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah. I'm not sure on Dack. He does take an artifact but unlike Trygon predator he doesn't present a clock nor destroys enchantments if that matters.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Opening a foil exploration and trading for another has convinced me to build Lands for legacy. Thankfully I can voltron the lands from my 3 legacy decks and put it together. Problem is finding someone willing to trade a Tabernacle for my extra Useas and tundras.

Anyone know how good lands is nowadays? I know it'll be terribad and I should just keep enjoying miracles while it's good but goddamn does that deck draw out games better than miracles. And that is Fun.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

a dozen swans posted:

I've played against Lands a decent number of times and the impression I've gotten is that if they can interact with your lands t1 (wasteland, port) you're basically hosed. That said, an opposing life from the loam is rough and you take forever to actually kill your opponent. Maybe look into Jund Depths or something - I feel like Exploration would be good there, and it kills faster.

Does that deck take even longer to play? I have combo decks, control decks, and aggro-control deck (d&t). I want a glacially slow deck even slower than miracles.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Well I was asking about Jund depths. I already have my eyes set on Lands. If it was possible at all I'd even love to include drown yards in there :allears: but it might make the deck faster which I do not want.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm still wondering when google or whomever is responsible would realize that people browse calendars on the go and having access to only half the calendar without the ability to move it is annoying. Having to call up a store is less efficient.

E: the local store websites all do it too with the exception of one which I imagine figured out that it doesn't work on mobiles so put up an old fashioned one that works well.

E2: holy poo poo this one works purely by the virtue of not having anything on the left side so you can see the entire thing in landscape mode. And zoom works too. Really don't know why it doesn't work on other sites.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 19, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

A Moose posted:

I actually like this trend of goyf in everything. Put it in tron and scapeshift!, it blocks other goyfs! Its already in Splinter Twin! Put it in UWR Midrange! it's worth the mana fixing. Put it in loving Living End because its better than your whole deck anyway! Put it in - OOPS it just got banned lol.

Give me a bant list and I'll put goyf in. I've been itching to play with mine in modern for a while and RUG twin is bad IMO. RIP Jund, let's go bant.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Snacksmaniac posted:

We started a Thursday legacy night last week. The field was all combo for week one.
So, thread, pick my anti combo legacy deck for tonight!! Can reasonably build most things except I'm missing some random things such as as gambles (for lands) or other 100+ non dual land cards.

Control version of miracles. Don't do the stupid main board censer crap. But do include vendilion cliques. Cut down the 4th jace and counterbalance for a couple digs.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I run 1 dig in mine cuz I use the no-snap list. It can run a 2nd if you don't mind going to 3/3 JTMS/CB.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah so the right word here is recall not ancestral. I'm recalling that a person might have autism if they stick to the rigid confines of a gerund formula instead of using an easier and oddly more correct word. "Revelating" was last year's fun made up word.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lands and creatures are for chumps. Firing tendrils at an enemy is superior.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Games and stuff is fantastic. I usually go there to play x-wing but their magic events and employees are great. They have great players too. They have 15-card proxy vintage tournaments monthly with great prize support but those are $20 entry.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Curio Cavern is mostly boring dudes with a few sweet characters like Luis, Mikey, and Chris (and formerly Gearheart) to keep the amusement up. There seems to be too many of the grinder types that frequent the cavern nowadays.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

still can't decide between miracles, ant, and D&T for GPNJ. I was thinking it was time to dust off ant again but some jerk had a high profile showing of it last weekend.

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

My favorite deck for legacy is MUD Welder always

You are extremely cool. One guy here plays it and he too is cool

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Do D&T with Containment Priest

Eh I doubt people will have them for trade and I never buy cards nowadays. It's more for my friend who is amazing with it. He can buy the priests if he wants to come.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

AgentSythe posted:

David Gearhart works at the store I go to and says that even with DTT, Solidarity probably is still not good enough now. It's cool having basically a one-sided Time Spiral, but you have to play with some pretty bad cards. The thread on the Source isn't even sure they want to fight over the graveyard since Snapcaster is so good in the deck. It is absurdly hard to play but has a lot of neat tricks like Brain Freezing after a top activation or snap'ing a Snapcaster mage back a few times to generate mana. Plus it is always cool to go off in response to an Emrakul Annihilator trigger or something else hilarious.

Did you play in the battle of wounded knee too? I haven't been able to chat with him since his accident but he does keep up with magic even if he no longer plays. Wonder what he'd say about it.

It's funny that people out themselves for playing at that store from time to time. I think it's 3 goons I know now.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I traded for a tabernacle tonight. It was for EDH, but now I will play the best deck in legacy. :getin:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm going to be a gardener. :)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I've been out of modern for a while but is UWR control still viable? I'm thinking the pod banning made it less relevant. I can switch to any variant of twin or scape shift but I'd like the most control version of the bunch. Would I need to try that derpy UWR twin or is there some sort of build with St Traft's Geist?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Wait,CC is seriously not being played as much now and revelation is? :psyduck:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ok so you can still run things similar to old UWR. I played lists similar to McLaren's list. I assume with enough verdicts and paths it'll be similar enough to the old builds and nothing really changes. Siege rhino is a lot slower and more expensive than Goyf but I haven't played in a while so maybe I'm wrong. CC costs the same as the rhino in any case.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

AgentSythe posted:

I bought a playset of Judge foil Flusterstorms for like 10 bucks each :smug:

Nice. I didn't get a playset but I also picked these up cheaply and have a bunch of the regular ones. I still can't believe they aren't still $15.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

My (casual play) friends are really glad that I have legacy decks for them to play with. What sucks is hearing the endless complaints from people finding out and saying I should trade them one of my 4 play sets of FOW or USeas or Wastelands or whatever so the "real" magic players could play with them. :rolleyes:

(Wonder why those guys aren't my friends..)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheKingofSprings posted:

Eternal thread, I would like to discuss Butakov's Junk.

Specifically, this: http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=9074&d=251714&f=MO

I'm planning on running something very similar to this for GP Vancouver and I had some questions.

How does the deck not just roll over and die to Twin as it currently stands? Game 1 it relies on 5 removal spells in the main to stall for a Gifts going for what looks like other Loam or Norn (and probably Loam because remand exists), and it brings in 4 spells game 2. Is it set up this way as an adaptation to the burn and affinity heavy meta of MTGO? Assuming the unknown card is Elesh, why does this deck have no Tasigur in the main?

Wow, nice to see that gifts control is back. This was my first deck in modern and I'm guessing it's just a little more playable again due to the DRS ban, siege rhino, and the midrange derpfest that is junk. Only problem I see is that Elesh Norn is no longer as good because of rhino and the lack of BBE or spirits/martyr that made up more of the metagame back then.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hopping Ghost posted:

For what it's worth, the Tabernacle isn't an absolute must-have in the deck, at least not now that Treasure Cruise is gone. I probably wouldn't have sprung for it if one of my LGSes didn't have both a pristine English one in stock and employees who know me well enough to give me pretty generous trade-in value towards it (who am I kidding, though, it's because they know they'll eventually get whatever money they help me save). Unfortunately there's no playable substitute for at least one Candelabra, I'm afraid. If you can borrow one or mock it up online, though, again, the deck is incredibly fun.

Everyone should get a Tabernacle because screw those neverending tokens decks in EDH that will kill your Emrakul Kozilek over and over.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheKingofSprings posted:

A resolved Norn is game against affinity, infect, and twin (not that I'd gifts for it against twin with open mana), and junk has like 3 cards that unconditionally deal with it.

Yeah, it's nice if that's your local meta, but even against Twin it's really hard to stick one.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Skyl3lazer posted:

If GP Vegas caps out (10,000 people), enough goyfs/foil goyfs will be opened for 126 people to have a playset. Enjoy your 400+ dollar vanilla creature.

This is what I find to be hilarious. Even more hilarious is that people feel the need to even have them in the first place. Though I play control in eternal formats so I dunno if Canada thresh or twin-Goyf has been on the rise.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Yeah people sure are dumb wanting to have copies of that really good card that gets tons of play in the formats where it is legal. :confused:

Anecdotal, but I rarely ever see them being played in the different stores I frequent in different areas of the US. Hardly anyone even wants them. I've had them sit in binders for months at a time before.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sigma-X posted:

You typically run a playset of them and they're $180 or so, I can see why someone might not want to trade into a singleton.

I see them all the time out here in SoCal.
Ah. It's mostly control/combo here in DMV area and out in O'ahu whenever I'm there. The few times I've done a legacy event in NYC was the same but that's a smaller sample size since I only go when I'm visiting a friend and he's up for it.

jassi007 posted:

I assume you are still talking about goyf. I want a playset, but when I see them in binders I know I probably can't make a deal. I'd have to trade a large chunk of things I'm not really willing to. As is, I'm probably going to have to consider if I want to trade/sell some of my volcanics for them or not. I think I'd rather sell my lili's and bob's than try to get the goyfs and make jund/junk. IDK. They're to loving expensive, but I'd play them if I could get ahold of them without giving up some really prime poo poo for them.

Yeah, I just realized that's probably why they sit for months at a time. I mean, the market is what the market is and last time I did trade a couple for a volc or USea and other stuff or something like that. I'm not going to be stupid and let them go for cheaper than what everyone agrees the ~market~ wants but it still confuses me since I just never see them being played that often. Of course, it could be a chicken-egg problem and that people would be playing them in twin or shardless more if they had them. But at the same time, the people I know here in DMV that play have salaries that could afford it and they could buy just about anything (or they actually have everything) but still prefer decks without them. Like I said, anecdotal.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

eSporks posted:

Could there be another factor going on? One where everyone agrees the market says its worth $180 today, but t not being on the reserve list says it could be worth substantially less tomorrow. No one wants to invest in something do volatile, so the fact its worth so much acts against it.

Yeah. Markets and people aren't exactly rational unless you believe some of these profs and EMH and all that...but I'll leave that out of this. That's why I carefully try to word things like "people agree to such and such price" even though that may not be the most efficient or correct one, etc. Add to that people like me who have one or more playsets but won't trade them for various reasons. I personally keep them around in case one of my friends wants to play them or I play them on a whim. I think a lot of people in the DMV area are in the same boat but really prefer the control/combo meta going on.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ungulateman posted:

Reprinting Tarmogoyf at Mythic again demonstrates why capitalism is bad

:goonsay:

I've always wondered why people who would benefit the most from gracious reprinting strats are often opposed to them. (Though same thing happens in the real world too....) When I suggested that FOWs and Wastelands be reprinted at uncommon at one of the shops I frequent, me the guy who has like 12 of each and would prefer more people to play my fave format, I was shouted down by people who had none and complained about their high prices. :psyduck: It really is baffling.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ciprian Maricon posted:

It's because they are afraid of something similar (a card losing 90% of its value) happening to them, not because they don't want 15 dollar Wastelands.

When you've got spare playsets, complete Legacy decks, and have played for a while the idea of a card suddenly being 15 dollars isn't very scary. You've gotten your fun at this point losing value is worth it to you for the increased utility of more players to play with. When you're a newish player with a budding collection trying to slowly leverage your cards into expensive staples the idea of one of your cards suddenly being worthless is a lot more terrifying so you're going to be more likely to be against the idea even if the example listed benefits you because God forbid that happens to one of your expensive cards later on.

So the same old "the poor are temporarily embarassed rich" type of thinking.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Although I'm getting kind of tired of this games market. The fact that an Atarka costs 20 bucks and it's something you can rip in a 3 dollar pack right now just infuriates me.
A friend once described the magic economy as a libertarian paradise with a vengeful god that can rain down thunderbolts that blow up your flavor of tycoon in a heartbeat. I enjoy this analogy.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

suicidesteve posted:

The Show and Tell deck complaining about Countertop.

The Show and Tell deck complaining about literally anything. :jerkbag:

Well you see, it's totally fair because of thought seize! *Wills away thought seize*

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

LCG business models are successful and have been proven to work. They're usually better for smaller outfits and niche products like FFG. But, that seems to be tautological since we don't know what the market would be like if LCGs were thought of first and was the dominant model. I don't think there's been a case study in the TCG market of such a drastic change in business models. The only things I can even think of are reboots from formerly dead systems that FFG has revived or monthly payment into more "freemium" models in the MMO market, but I don't know how good studying their history would be in predicting a TG model.

I just argue for a more YGO-like model but people seem to dislike it even though it works. You can still squeeze the initial pack buys through drafts and people wanting to play competitively even though they'll be reprinted in the starter tins in the future. People are really irrational (duh!) and want both volatility and stability of prices at the same time.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

AlternateNu posted:

Define "current retail" because with as volatile as prices can get, what is the agreed metric?

Hmm someone may have inadvertently created a shorts market.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Simple. Front up the total cost of the deck as a security deposit and get it back upon safe return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Legacy: any deck besides painter's servant. I've been playing miracles since terminus existed.

Modern: any deck. I've been playing UWR control since inception, but must now face the reality of having to play RUB control.

Question: why is Karakas now surpassing the cost of many dual lands? It's not even legal in EDH. I only have them because a friend enjoys playing D&T.

• Locked thread