Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I know that black infect isn't the best infect but it's something I really like. I've managed to finally get some money to be able to make somewhat decent and replace proxies with actual cards. This is what I have, it's for modern. Most of my wins was dumping a bunch of infect on them on one turn with a Mutagenic Growth and/or Funeral Charm so I am going less of a control route and more of just a blaze of glory. I do have enough to get Thoughtseizes and Liliana of the Veils.

Deck: Modern Black Infect

//Creatures
4 Plague Stinger
4 Phyrexian Crusader
4 Phyrexian Vatmother

//Spells
3 Mutagenic Growth
4 Vampire's Bite
4 Funeral Charm
4 Night's Whisper
4 Victim of Night
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Apostle's Blessing

//Lands
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Inkmoth Nexus
3 Cathedral of War
14 Swamp

//Sideboard
2 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Extirpate
2 Pithing Needle
2 Wrench Mind
3 Disfigure
4 Vampire Nighthawk

do u believe in marigolds fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sep 13, 2007

Bugsy posted:

I'm not sure you have enough infectors to make Hand of the Preator's second ability that great so Vatmother might be a better creature in that spot. Runechanter's pike seems like it could give you a big boost to a single creature since you have a lot of discard/kill spells. Disfigure is a great kill spell and it hits a ton of stuff in modern so you might want to try some of them somewhere.

Looking at some infect lists that have done well, http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1207309, http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1216513, and http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1209788 it seems like a more controlly route is doing better, but those lists are all pre-treasure cruise so I don't know how well that route would work now. Mono black just doesnt have enough pump spells to play like the green/bug lists, but Vampire's Bite is a decent amount of pump for the mana.

Mutagenic, Vampire, and Funeral Charm aren't enough? That's not including Praetors and Cathedral's continuous thing. Runechanter Pike and Disfigure are both good suggestions and I'll hem and haw over replacing Preator with Vatmother.

Sep 13, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I was reminded of this in the main thread, but a dude at my LGS runs monoblack aggro in Modern in the form of a 95% SOM/INN-standard zombie deck, and it is a bitch to beat-

I might be wrong about the number of Countersqualls and the SB cards, but that's the gist of it. If you want to run "monoblack" aggro in Modern give it a shot. I've only been able to beat it with MonoU Tron, and that was with a turn 3 Wurmcoil in game 3.

I was considering going BG infect to get Glistener Elf and the better pump spells. I was afraid it would be out of my price range because I just can't get the fetches right now but I think I could just use Overgrown Tomb, Woodland Cemetery, Urborg, Pendelhaven, Inkmoth, and some basics. Although the Noble Hierarch would also be out of my price range so I'm not sure it's worth it.

Sep 13, 2007

Oraculum Animi posted:

I know that black infect isn't the best infect but it's something I really like. I've managed to finally get some money to be able to make somewhat decent and replace proxies with actual cards. This is what I have, it's for modern. Most of my wins was dumping a bunch of infect on them on one turn with a Mutagenic Growth and/or Funeral Charm so I am going less of a control route and more of just a blaze of glory. I do have enough to get Thoughtseizes and Liliana of the Veils.

Deck: Modern Black Infect

//Creatures
4 Plague Stinger
4 Phyrexian Crusader
4 Phyrexian Vatmother

//Spells
3 Mutagenic Growth
4 Vampire's Bite
4 Funeral Charm
4 Night's Whisper
4 Victim of Night
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Apostle's Blessing

//Lands
4 Inkmoth Nexus
3 Cathedral of War
14 Swamp

//Sideboard
2 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Extirpate
2 Pithing Needle
2 Wrench Mind
3 Disfigure
4 Vampire Nighthawk

I have updated my list to include Vatmother and Disfigure that people recommended. I also switched the number of Mutagenic Growths with Vampire Bites so I'm not hurting myself as much.

Sep 13, 2007
I broke down and decided that mono-black infect could benefit from a healthy dose of green so this is my potentially final draft, although I'm iffy on the sideboard.

edited deck list: http://deckstats.net/deck-5896585-34c46a618161783cb1a0bb4aae0ee4ae.html

do u believe in marigolds fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 3, 2015

Sep 13, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I'm torn on Phyrexian Crusader - I've not played Infect but three mana seems steep considering how fast the deck can be. However it also dodges a lot of the more ubiquitous removal so I see the value. Are there any other two-drops with Infect that you could put there and then move Crusader to the sideboard? Would going uGB for Blighted Agent be too silly? I might sketch that out when I get home from work...

I'm purposefully avoiding blue. I was thinking about blighted agent but then that brings the whole mess of blue and counterspells and having to adjust my mana for it. There is Ichorclaw Myr which is a 2 drop and can benefit from Pendelhaven.

Sep 13, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Well I was asking why there's no BUG lists in Modern a page or two ago which is why I mentioned splashing blur, so maybe I'm biased.

I've seen a lot of BUG Infect lists while looking for BG and the reason I don't go that route is because they all seem to have a full set of Misty Rainforest, Verdent Catacombs, shocks, and Noble Hierarch and that's just out of my budget. And the only benefit I see out of that is they include Blighted Agent and maybe Distortion Stroke in the sideboard.

Konstantin posted:

You can't afford to run Swamps, and should only have 1 Urborg at the most. Use painlands, City, and Confluence if you can't afford shocks and fetches. You absolutely need to go pump spell into kicked Vines, and that requires a lot of green. Other than that, it's a decent list if you insist on not running blue. I'd add in 2 Apostle's Blessing and cut Cage from the SB now that Pod is banned.

I will include the Apostle's in the sideboard instead of Cage and look at the cards for changing my manabase.

Sep 13, 2007

Konstantin posted:

You can't afford to run Swamps, and should only have 1 Urborg at the most. Use painlands, City, and Confluence if you can't afford shocks and fetches. You absolutely need to go pump spell into kicked Vines, and that requires a lot of green. Other than that, it's a decent list if you insist on not running blue. I'd add in 2 Apostle's Blessing and cut Cage from the SB now that Pod is banned.

I looked at the prices of Overgrown Tombs and they're almost the same price as Llanowar Wastes (on TCGplayer) so I'm gonna pick up a set of the shocklands with my next paycheck.

Sep 13, 2007

Babylon Astronaut posted:

It's a very good time to get shocks and fetches.

Fetches are still out of my price range, I can get an entire playset of G/B shocks for one G/B fetch.

Sep 13, 2007
Taking some advice this is my updated B/G Infect list. I dropped the Cathedrals because they were too slow, got some Overgrown Tombs, Dropped the Tragic Slip for two more Funeral Charms, and replaced Cage with Apostle's Blessing.

Deck: B/G Infect

//Creatures
4 Glistener Elf
4 Plague Stinger
4 Ichorclaw Myr

//Spells
4 Rancor
4 Might of Old Krosa
4 Vines of Vastwood
4 Mutagenic Growth
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Disfigure
2 Funeral Charm

//Lands
2 Pendelhaven
4 Inkmoth Nexus
4 Woodland Cemetery
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Forest
3 Swamp

//Sideboard
4 Nature's Claim
4 Phyrexian Crusader
3 Apostle's Blessing
2 Pithing Needle
2 Funeral Charm

Display deck statistics

do u believe in marigolds fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 7, 2015

Sep 13, 2007

//Creatures
4 Glistener Elf
4 Ichorclaw Myr
4 Plague Stinger

//Spells
4 Rancor
4 Mutagenic Growth
4 Vines of Vastwood
4 Might of Old Krosa
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Disfigure
2 Funeral Charm

//Lands
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2 Pendelhaven
4 Inkmoth Nexus
4 Woodland Cemetery
4 Overgrown Tomb
5 Forest
3 Swamp

//Sideboard
4 Phyrexian Crusader
4 Nature's Claim
3 Apostle's Blessing
2 Pithing Needle
2 Funeral Charm

Display deck statistics

My updated Infect deck. Crusader went into the sideboard because it was too slow and it's benefits didn't always come up.

Sep 13, 2007

Elyv posted:

Two questions:
1) Why BG instead of the more popular UG?
2) How do beat Lingering Souls?

It was originally mono-b infect and then I shifted to G/B. Most lists with blue have fetches and Hierarchs and only provide Blighted Agent. The one deck that had Lingering Souls I didn't win. Albeit there were other factors involved. I'm still piloting it against other decks to get a feel for it. If I were to go U/G and couldn't afford fetches or Hierarchs what would be a good list?

Sep 13, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

The BG Infect players I see play Vampire's Bite sometimes. I have no experience myself, but its half a giant growth (the front half) for B.

I feel I need the toughness from the green pump spells in case I need to protect one of my critters and also my pump spells give me 4/4 or has some benefit for less stats. Vampire's Bite is basically just B: Give 3/0 because I have never gotten the life gain off.

Sep 13, 2007
So I made a weird mono-black infect thing. I'm unsure if I should replace Vatmother with Ichorclaw. If I do that I could bring in some Pendelhaven. I know Vampire's Bite is a weird inclusion and if it doesn't work out I'll probably stick it in the sideboard and bring in Raven's Crime.

Deck: Mono Black Infect

//Creatures
4 Phyrexian Vatmother
4 Plague Stinger
4 Phyrexian Crusader
1 Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon

//Spells
1 Runechanter's Pike
4 Duress
4 Funeral Charm
4 Victim of Night
3 Vampire's Bite
3 Night's Whisper
4 Inquisition of Kozilek

//Lands
4 Inkmoth Nexus
2 Cathedral of War
16 Swamp

//Sideboard
3 Apostle's Blessing
2 Extirpate
2 Pithing Needle
4 Raven's Crime
4 Wrench Mind

do u believe in marigolds fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 16, 2015

Sep 13, 2007

Everblight posted:

Raven's Crime seems weird since it's only good in grindier matchups, I'd rather have thoughtseize to ensure I take their removal/blocker.

IoK is clearly much better, but sadly you can't run more than four of those.

I'm running Duress instead of Thoughtseize because those are a little out of my price range (I bought the Nexus when they were 8 each, now they're 20).

Sep 13, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I don't think Vampire's Bite is that weird, you are trying to kill your opponent through combat damage after all :v: Though if your gameplan is to plink away at a defenseless opponent then you might be better off with more disruption instead of fast damage. If you wanted to you could even get rid of the Vatmothers and run even more disruption, and do a more control/Pox-like spin on Infect. That would be pretty interesting.

I know there's a mono-black control deck that uses infect as the win condition instead of damage due to no hand size but I'm a boring person and I like the beat people over the head quickly. I would really like to try this in a FNM/small tournament setting to see how it goes because I mostly just do free play kinda stuff.

If Raven's Crime is too grindy what would be good sideboard material? Dismember? Geth's Verdict? What are some black or colorless sideboard choices?

do u believe in marigolds fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 16, 2015

Sep 13, 2007
I switched back to B/G Infect. This gives me a lot more speed and reactivity. I kept Crusader over Ichorclaw because the former has more protection than the latter.

//Creatures
4 Glistener Elf
4 Phyrexian Crusader
4 Plague Stinger

//Spells
4 Funeral Charm
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Might of Old Krosa
4 Mutagenic Growth
4 Rancor
1 Runechanter's Pike
4 Vines of Vastwood

//Lands
1 Cathedral of War
3 Forest
4 Inkmoth Nexus
4 Overgrown Tomb
2 Pendelhaven
4 Swamp
4 Woodland Cemetery
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

//Sideboard
3 Apostle's Blessing
4 Devour Flesh
2 Extirpate
4 Nature's Claim
2 Pithing Needle

do u believe in marigolds fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 19, 2015

Sep 13, 2007
I was in my first FNM modern on Friday. I went 1-3, losing to Ad Nauseum and Flashback burn, winning against Tron. I was running a B/G deck that wasn't fast enough to kill really quick but not controlling enough to survive long and I've decided to switch up to something else. My issue is whether the Vatmother are strong enough to use or if I should go with Ichorclaw Myr for the speed.

Deck: Mono Black Infect

//Creatures
4 Phyrexian Crusader
4 Phyrexian Vatmother
4 Plague Stinger
1 Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon

//Spells
4 Duress
4 Funeral Charm
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Night's Whisper
1 Runechanter's Pike
3 Vampire's Bite
4 Victim of Night

//Lands
2 Cathedral of War
4 Inkmoth Nexus
16 Swamp

//Sideboard
3 Apostle's Blessing
4 Devour Flesh
2 Extirpate
2 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Pithing Needle
2 Tectonic Edge

Sep 13, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Vatmother and skithirix are all too slow. I'd drop them all for ichorclaw myr.

That would leave a free spot for something else. What would you recommend?

Sep 13, 2007

Vatmother and skithirix are all too slow. I'd drop them all for ichorclaw myr.

kizudarake posted:

Main deck mutagenic growth.

I removed 4 Vatmother, Skithiryx, a Swamp, and a Cathedral of War for 4 Ichorclaw Myr, 2 Mutagenic Growth, and a Pendelhaven. I'll look into getting some Dismember and maybe taking out some Victim of Night.

Sep 13, 2007
I'm looking into making a Hexproof Bogles deck and I'm wondering how important the Dryad Arbor is. Is there anything special besides the creature/land typing? The lists I see don't have any ways of fetching it out quickly and it's always listed as a one-of in the deck.

Sep 13, 2007

Zoness posted:

if you leave a fetch untapped you can respond to an edict by fetching dryad arbor

but also just having fetchable creatures is good

plus the land half dodges abrupt decay

So if I don't plan on running any fetches in the deck it's usefulness goes down a lot?

Sep 13, 2007

Zoness posted:

i mean if you don't plan on running fetches you are basically saying you want to lose to any deck with lili of the veil

v:shobon:v

but yeah i mean without gsz or fetches there's no reason to run dryad arbor over any other mana dork basically

What's the cheapest green fetch? G/W?

Sep 13, 2007
I would like help piloting an infect deck. I'm goldfishing and I don't know if I should start the game with a tapland (Woodland Cemetery) or an Inkmoth Nexus. My hand is the following: Woodland Cemetery, Vines of Vastwood, Night's Whisper, Inkmoth Nexus, Might of Old Krosa, Mutagenic Growth, Phyrexian Crusader. I'm thinking the tapland.

Sep 13, 2007

Definitely shouldn't be using any taplands. If it's purely for budget concerns then that's understandable, but Llanowar Wastes are relatively cheap after being reprinted twice in the last year. In the case of the hand you presented, yes play the tapland. If someone tries to fulminator/ghost quarter your inkmoth you can at least tap it to activate itself and then cast vines on it.

I can get some Llanowar Wastes but the G/B fetch lands are out of my price range.

If he's not wanting to pay out for fetches I don't think horizon canopy will be an option lol

Sunpetal grove and brushland can suffice in a pinch as cheaper alternatives to fetches/temple garden/razorverge thicket, though boggles should already be running some number of suppression field main. Bogles in particular is one of those decks that is massively improved with an optimized mana base though.

Horizon Canopy is definitely not an option. My budget is basically 40 dollars for a playset (10 per card).

do u believe in marigolds fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 29, 2015

Sep 13, 2007
I'm bad at sideboards and this is what I'm going to end up bringing to my modern FNM tomorrow. I'll be using B/G Infect.

4 Leyline of the Void
4 Nature's Claim
3 Go for the Throat
2 Pithing Needle
2 Tectonic Edge

Sep 13, 2007
Went 2-1 in FNM. My G/B infect deck isn't fast enough so I dropped Woodland Cemetery for Llanowar Wastes. I'm thinking about going mono-black infect with a bit of control, one of the decks I lost was a B/R rack deck.

e: I traded for a Noble Hierarch. Three more to go if I wanna go B/G infect!

Sep 13, 2007
I'm thinking about putting together a mono-u tron deck since I have some of the more expensive pieces like Wurmcoil and Oblivion Stone. However, my LGS doesn't have any of them in the meta, just a couple RG Tron. Is it worse? Did something happen recently that made it a bad deck?

This is the deck list I came up with: Deck: Mono Blue Tron

Sep 13, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

I definitely don't like only 1 Wurmcoil, but other than that it looks good.

The deck itself is fine. I'm not really sure why nobody plays it. Burn wasn't a great match up but it was still fine, and now that burn is a lot closer to zoo with Nacatls and whatnot, it's actually better. The prevalence of Grixis and resurgence of Jund is very good for the deck. Trinket Mage for Hangarback might be a thing and Newlamog is a great way to end the game even if he gets countered. The deck's worst match up is probably Infect which is still not that bad, especially post-board.

I do have a Newlamog but I only have one Wurmcoil. I might be able to trade for one.

Sep 13, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

:3:

That's how I got started on it. It's pretty cheap online although the O-Stone and Wurmcoils are a little more than they used to be.

I went 4/1 in a league, only losing to Simon Goertzen in 3 games. Game 2 I mulled to 6 and his turn 1 was Stomping Ground, Nacatl, double Spirit Guide, double Swiftspear, Mutagenic Growth. Game 3 I mulled to 4 before finding a hand that had more than 1 land and he had double Eidolon. He was a very pleasant opponent otherwise.

I've been looking at my deck and trying to figure what to pull for a second Wurmcoil. A Solemn, Cyclonic (and sideboard it), or a Talisman?

e. I decided to try and sideboard Cyclonic Rift.

do u believe in marigolds fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 8, 2015

Sep 13, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Oh yeah, my list has most of those already, and I forgot I have Chalice as well. I wouldn't mind any other tips, other than Ugin/Ulamog which I am too broke to acquire right now. Oraculum Animi I love the SB Spreading Seas in your list :lol: Do those get much work?

I don't know! I haven't put this deck together. I'm just basing this off the meta that I have which is a decent amount of tron and if nothing else it's a throws the opponent's land off for a draw. I was looking at other mono-u tron decks to get an idea of what the deck is made of and I saw one that had them in the sideboard.

Sep 13, 2007

Deckit posted:

monoB infect was my first modern deck and I loved it to itty bitty bits. I'm sad its not even T2 but drat it was it a pleasure to blank everyone's removal with Phyrexian Knight. :unsmith:

Phyrexian Crusader.

I know because I run mono-b infect.

Sep 13, 2007
I'm going to try burn for modern FNM. This is a budget take on it since I'm not going to put money into Goblin Guides and fetches (right now).

Deck: W/B Burn

//Creature
4 Keldon Marauders
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
2 Grim Lavamancer

//Spell
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lava Spike
4 Rift Bolt
4 Shard Volley
4 Boros Charm
4 Skullcrack
2 Lightning Helix

//Land
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Battlefield Forge
12 Mountain

//Sideboard
4 Ash Zealot
2 Dragon's Claw
2 Wear // Tear
4 Smash to Smithereens
3 Molten Rain

Display deck statistics

Sep 13, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

If you can't afford fetches then Lavamancer won't do you much good; I'd cut him for something else for right now.

I remembered I could get Bloodstained Mires and Wooded Foothills.

Sep 13, 2007

numerrik posted:

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/361505#paper

Went to my lgs with this and went 1 and 2. Any suggestions to upgrade the deck?

Like others have said, Goblin Guide and Eidolon of the Great Revel are extremely good but pricy (especially the Guides). Monastery Swiftspears are also really good.

Without fetches I wouldn't bother with Searing Blaze, if you need a similar effect then Searing Blood works. Zurgo Bellstriker might be another creature to look at, or Ash Zealot. But to be honest I would stick a second color in the deck. Green gives you Atarka's Command and sideboard Destructive Revelry. White gives you Boros Charm, Lightning Helix, and sideboard Kor FIrewalker, Wear // Tear, Deflecting Palm, and Path to Exile.

I've found there's a pretty standard list of cards depending on if you want to go Boros, Gruul, or Naya. Mono-red burn isn't that great since you have to go for cards like Magma Jet.

Sep 13, 2007

numerrik posted:

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/361505#paper

Went to my lgs with this and went 1 and 2. Any suggestions to upgrade the deck?

Since I just bought burn I wanted to show you my deck and why I chose some of the different than average pieces.

Deck: Boros Burn

//Creatures
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
4 Goblin Guide
4 Monastery Swiftspear
2 Zurgo Bellstriker

//Spells
4 Boros Charm
4 Lava Spike
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Lightning Helix
4 Rift Bolt
4 Shard Volley
4 Skullcrack

//Lands
4 Battlefield Forge
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Sacred Foundry
7 Mountain

//Sideboard
2 Dragon's Claw
4 Searing Blood
4 Smash to Smithereens
3 Volcanic Fallout
2 Wear // Tear

The main difference in my deck is that I don't run many fetches so I opted out of Searing Blaze and Grim Lavamancer. For a more budget route drop the Goblin Guides for Keldon Marauders and the fetches for more Mountains.

Sep 13, 2007

Elyv posted:

I dislike the 4x Shard Volley quite a bit and I think I'd still run Blood or Blaze main.

That's fair. Shard Volley is definitely one of the weakest cards and usually will be the first out when sideboarding. But I also don't know how strong Searing is going to be in my meta, I'm trying to think of decks I've played against that would have a creature that can die to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sep 13, 2007

GEExCEE posted:

4x Zurgo the Not Very Good
4x Swiftspear
4x Abbot of Keral Keep
2x Scab Clan Berzerker

4x Lightning Bolt
4x Lava Spike
4x Rift Bolt
4x Skullcrack
4x Boros Charm
4x Lightning Helix
2x Exquisite Firecraft

4x Sacred Foundry
4x Battlefield Forge
4x Mana Confluence
8x Mountain

This is what I came up with. An obvious upgrade would be Eidolons instead of Abbots. Once you can afford to replace the Forges and Mana Confluence with Bloodstained Mires and Wooded foothills, you can trade the berzerkers for lavamancers and swap out the firecrafts and/or some number of lightning helixes for searing blazes. At that point you can also add stomping grounds and/or some number of copperline gorges to splash green if you want. This lets you add atarka's command and trade your zurgos for wild nacatls. Then the only thing left to upgrade into are more fetches in the form of arid mesas and the goblin guides, which are the most expensive parts of the deck.

Because you probably aren't fetching non-mountains there's no reason to buy Arid Mesas unless you want 12 fetches. The Bloodstained Mire and Wooded Foothills are cheap enough and give you eight fetches. I would also probably avoid the Scab Clan Beserkers. They're slow. Ash Zealot and Keldon Marauders are faster and not expensive.

Elyv posted:

I mean, the problem for me is specifically 4x volley in a deck with 18 land. You're going to have games where you draw 2 of them or even 3 of them and just won't be able to afford to play them. I dislike having that more than 2 of that card in my deck.

Also, I think most decks will have targets for Blood.

I'll probably take out 2 Volley in the main for 2 Searing Blood from the side and put in 2 Molten Rain.

• Locked thread