Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
This is how you pick a deck in legacy:

Everyone in here should actually be playing Stax.

Keep in mind this flowchart is Pre-TNN, so like, it has outdated archetypes that just lose to TNN.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mehall posted:

Basically, fast mana into either Balustrade Spy or Undercity Informer. Target yourself, mill everything. This puts a few critters into play (normally the narcomoeba's). Sac 3 creatures to flashback dread return, to get Cerberus into play. Sac Cerberus to Cabal Therapy, to trigger his ability, you now have Laboratory Maniac in hand, along with the Spirit Guides. Exile the spirit guides and play either a lotus petal or a manamorphose or something, get blue mana, play Lab maniac,

Wild Cantor is how you turn green or red mana into blue mana, since Underworld Cerberus doesn't bring back lotus petals.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Hi, Tin Fins isn't Reanimator.

Please don't conflate decks tia.

Reanimator is a Combo-Control deck that has a toolbox to reanimate out (i.e. Griselbrand, Iona, Elesh Norn, Sphinx, etc). The deck is full of countermagic and control elements and it just so happns to use Reanimate (and Exhume) and Entomb because it's a win-con package that only takes up a few slots.

Tin Fins is a combo deck that smashes with a Goryo's Vengeanced / Shallow Graved Griselbrand and then uses it as a draw7 to fuel out a Tendrils (or in the Modern version uses Fury of the Horde to keep smashing).

Zoness fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 20, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Everblight posted:

Not that burn is a thing to worry about, but Dragon's Claw puts in work

Dragon's Claw is like, really not worth a card, especially when you're looking at variants with the black burn spell and creatures.

Rune Snag seems worse than Mana Leak or Spell Snare in that slot, and a Batterskull (less vulnerable to Smash to Smithereens) might be helpful in giving you inevitability against aggro. Damnation rarely feels like it's something you want to cast unless you really want an out to Thrun I suppose.

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=7343&d=242055&f=MO in particular is a list that looks similar to yours that might be worth

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Mercury Crusader posted:

I see four forests in that deck, so the name is already misleading. :colbert:

Dryad Arbor + Griselbrand is used in lieu of 0 lands + Balustrade Spy to have more dredge triggers and be able to play nature's claim out of the sideboard. It is the option if you are afraid of Leyline of the Void and to some extent Rest in Peace.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Wadjamaloo posted:

In my experience the deck doesn't lose by not getting enough storm. It loses by not finding grapeshot, or but running out of mana, specifically blue mana. I don't feel like lightning bolt MD is necessary.

Lightning Bolt is neat for casual rooms where people will do weird things like run Surgical / Meddling Mage / Ethersworn Canonist Maindeck (I have seen it :negative:).

Also I believe due to how storm works if an Aegis of the Gods is up you can't actually target your opponent with any Grapeshot copies because you select targets before any of those grapeshot copies resolves. I mean, yeah, you're gonna run Bolt and Echoing Truth in your 75, but I think bolts maindeck are fairly reasonable. There's always the win of just casting a bunch of bolts w/ an active ascension and then PiF-ing them.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ManiacMatt posted:

Seeing as I'm a poor person, but looking into getting into legacy as my LGS is starting to do events regularly. What is everyone's thoughts on doomsday, I mean, I know I'm going to lose to myself more than to the opponent, especially when figuring out how to make mad stacks. I'd go straight for Breakfast Burrito, but even that has gotten more expensive. So I figured I could start off with Doomsday as I have most of the expensive cards from that anyways and then transition over to Breakfast Burrito once that masochism wears off and/or I have the money.

Basically, is it a remotely competitive deck, some people will be just playing tooled up modern decks anyways.

If you have the cards for doomsday I'm pretty sure you could get the cards for ANT, which is going to be significantly easier to pilot in almost every way and still very potent.

I know this thread has its pet decks but I'd personally recommend neither for a tournament. The most-played decks in the format are most frequently played for a reason. Doomsday has a lot of complex lines that are taxing to find. Breakfast Burrito is vulnerable to several kinds of hate / countermeasures which is just asking for trouble in sideboard games. The deck is essentially a pipe dream combining the combo elements of manaless dredge (the self-mill for the entire deck) and belcher (landless mana generation) but in being that kind of a deck it is open to multiple lines of disruption and hate.

Lists that run duals are fairly expensive but they'll give you a good idea of how the format plays out. I'm an advocate of dredge because either version of the deck is actually pretty resilient against hate if piloted properly because it can play to either combo out or grind value.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 10, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
The problem with the concept of something looking interesting in legacy is that they rarely are. I mean, okay, Delver is a pretty simple deck - you stick a threat or two and counter everything until you win, but brainstorming properly makes a huge difference in how the deck plays out.

Doomsday is only a -better- deck than ANT if you know how to make piles (resilience and complexity vs raw power and simplicity) that aren't the basic ones and play out those situations, and that's -very- taxing to do.

Similarly, people tend to dismiss Dredge as just dumping cards and taking actions but sequencing every play in either variation of Dredge properly is actually very important.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

I'm not actually interested in moving into Legacy, but if you have shocks how bad of an idea is it to use shocks instead of real duals if you're on a budget?

Tremendously bad, considering the format involves playing against wasteland and you're effectively upgrading your opponent's wastelands to also port you or to molten rains.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Valicious posted:

I forgot to mention that I side in Blood Moon and Thoughtseizws as well. I was siding out Champions to try for the fastest clock.

Wait what matchup is Blood Moon even for?

I'm having a hard time figuring out when it's worth shutting off your own manlands.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Everblight posted:

Exactly. Dredge isn't a thing in Vintage, and Bazaar and Library are banned in Legacy. City in a Bottle is a solution looking for a problem.

C'mon man do your research. Dredge is literally one of the strongest decks in vintage on the back of Bazaar.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Fellow Goon Chewy and I were playing around with the Manaless Dredge vs Deathblade matchup and there is a lot of cool interaction in that matchup, things like:

Batterskull bouncing itself to exile Bridge from Below
Cabal Therapy in hand with Phantasmagorian in the yard to bait Batterskull
Flayer of the Hatebound beatdown
Street Wraith trumping Deathrite Shaman
Meddling Mage naming Dread Return plus Relic of Progenitus :negative:

People who call Dredge noninteractive are silly and dumb :colbert:.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

suicidesteve posted:

You're ignoring my favorite interaction against manaless dredge: turn 1 Bayou, Deathrite, go to game 2.

DRS is significantly less scary than Relic of Progenitus.

Even Relic is beatable by playing the value game properly with Cabal Therapy and Bridges. Double Relic is nigh impossible however.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 18, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

BXCX posted:

Most of the decks on mtgtop8 run 4 Daze and 4 FoW MB, would Spell Pierces/Swan Songs be alright or would I be better off adding in more creatures?

Foil is pretty miserable in merfolk, since a key part of the deck is coming out ahead in card advantage by playing high threat density and silvergill adepts. Daze and FoW are mostly used because they're the best at what they do - in that they let you use your mana for mutavault activations on your turn.

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=7494&d=242960&f=LE is a list that runs 0 daze at all, probably expecting to fight lists that could play against daze more handily. You could try working off of that, subbing your dazes/FoW's in the 4 FoW slots.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Everblight posted:

Honestly that's not the worst thing. Emrakul exists solely to be cheated into play, not hardcast. With it gone, the next-most-busted thing to cheat in is probably Griselbrand, which while still degenerate is nowhere near as backbreaking. It would also allow "fair" cheat-them-in decks to exist.

It would get rid of Release the Ants!/Omniscience combo in legacy though, which makes me sad.

12post (legacy), r/g tron(modern), and technically any shelldock isle decks can (and do) hardcast it, along with Elves (although Elves is more likely to play Craterhoof). Also MUD lists with Metalworker could threaten one.

Cernunnos posted:

Ban Emrakul in all formats. :unsmigghh:

Griselbrand would easily see the chopping block before any of Emrakul's tendrils touched it.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 7, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

redux posted:

I think allied fetches will do quite a bit, there have been some fringy UW midrange/control decks as well as Faeries that I think will get some significant help from being able to play more basics.

Whether or not that pushes anything up to the top will be interesting to watch.

Decks that play cryptic command are known for their need to play basics instead of duals.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Tin Fins is specifically a legacy Griselbrand combo deck that uses shallow grave and goryo's vengeance to power out Griselbrand which then gives you 21 cards or so to set up a tendrils kill. There are modern Griselbrand combo decks but they're not called Tin Fins because they lack the ability to transition Griselbrand into a combo finish that doesn't involve the attack step.

So it's more like saying stoneblade doesn't exist in modern.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Chains is a bad card. If you're playing chains to address one deck in the format then your deck is worse. Also your statement makes no sense. You said before that Jund was great in the TC meta but then that all the best Jund players started to play TC decks. I wonder why.....

You heard it here boys, brainstorm is played in one deck in the format.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

gang sines posted:

i love readin mcmagic posts

What I love more than the inaccuracy is the absolute confidence he puts into each and every post. He is an inspiration :patriot:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

LordSaturn posted:

People are dicks to you because you're loudly, aggressively wrong about everything. Constantly. Don't be mystified about this. This was your original, stupid post about Chains:

Why are you ruining my favorite forums game :smith:.

Anyway chains is a cool card and if there were an enchantment version of it with flash it would own but of course there isn't one. That said the other draw hosers are also p cool. There's tradeoffs, sure, (ones a white creature, ones a 4 cmc creature, and chains has no board effect and can't be easily flashed). I think WotC should look into more efficient draw hosers because while they're not necessarily that effective the sheer swing of turning a brainstorm into an effective mind rot is so amazing.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 19, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

My argument is that no one likes you, you don't know what you're talking about, and we should take pictures of our real life legacy decks as proof, recreate them in workstation, and fight for the right to post.

Can we make an event out of this and have some experienced legacy players commentate?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

There is nothing to settle. This thread is me trying to talk about a deck I play in legacy and like 3 posters being assholes for no reason because they are pissy that someone on the internet disagrees with them.

Look man all i'm trying to do is help you realize that you're approaching medina/flores/woo levels of bad magic writing comedy.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Scholar of Athreos is actually a more resilient combo kill than Oona, but worse as just a reanimation target.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I've been working on a similar list and I'm not a fan of thoughtseize - rather been trying to work in an intuition/snapcaster/fow package with maindeck cunning wish.

really though you're just looking at ways to fill your deck for the most consistent kills, and imo running more blue cards is better than running more black cards. dark ritual seems like a waste tbh.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not a fan of spending two sideboard slots for a reason that may not apply to the posted decklist.

Personally I'm leaning towards an intuition/cunning wish package with a wishboard that lets you pull USZ, Abrupt Decay, and Wipe Away (akin to what High Tide or Omni Tell do), the idea being that you're running a lot more redundancy and increasing the ratio of blue cards maindeck.

Part of the problem with dragon combo is that it's a 3 card combo plus mana sources - you need an enabler to dump your dragon, a reanimate spell, and an engine piece. Intuition gives you a lot of options that you wouldn't otherwise have with the piles, plus, it fuels DTT really quickly and beats DRS where Entomb wouldn't (since it can dump 2 Worldgorgers from your deck at once). It's obviously not a replacement for entomb but imo it's a way more consistent direction to go with the deck since it can tutor for any piece you want (wish, dragon, or enchant dead) and there isn't really another card in the format that accomplishes that versatility at the same cost while also being a blue instant.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jan 21, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's not fundamentally different from Omnitell where you need Show and Omniscience in addition to EtI to do your thing.

It's irrelevant though because at that point you have effectively infinite mana. This deck actually does give you infinite mana with the downside of needing to do it at instant speed.

I want to know, why should the deck be run over Reanimator/Omnitell? Is it because it wins same turn? Does Reanimator get disrupted after comboing frequently enough that this is problematic?

E: this is just a thought but what about changing the win condition to one or two Snapcasters and a Blue Sun's Zenith if we're going the Intuition route? They have the bonus of being realistically playable as cards on their own.

Reanimator can lose to drawing trash once it sticks its combo, Omnitell runs the risk of the opponent sticking an Arcane Laboratory/Ashen Rider on show and tell.

With Dragon Combo if you're missing your engine piece you can still draw the game. That's the main upside.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to heckle a change.org petition on the site.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Molybdenum posted:

Oh, you've stacked 3auras on your only he proof creature?

I'll minus lily.

It's not hard for bogles to have a fetch ready for a lili activation. Also leyline postboard is a thing.

Reid Duke using Bogles did beat Wrapter on B/G over a year ago after all.

The matchup is probably better for the B/G deck but not by a huge margin.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Tim Raines IRL posted:

That makes me feel better. My experience was "huh is this a keepable hand, I have no idea! What do any of these cards do? Oh look a tutor effect, let me see what else is in this deck.... wait, what do any of these cards do?"

I believe you want to do things like get life from the loam in your graveyard and play as many explorations/manabonds as possible. Also abuse gamble.

Although the "newer" lands decks tend to lean more on the thespian's stage dark depths kill rather than win a long grindy wasteland/manland/punishing fire game.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't twin already one of the consistently stronger decks in the format before cruise or dig were printed?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
BBD confirming that affinity wrecks tron while playing the latter at a PT.

Any words from people saying the opposite?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
If you're feeling ballsy I'd suggest cutting something for some therapies.

Hitting a therapy isn't very hard, it works well with nether spirit on flashback, and is a good card to discard to pox effects. The downside is the flashback doesn't really play well with nether void. But apparently Therapy isn't very popular in pox lists so alternatively Raven's Crime is neat.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 20, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

So you're preemptively conceding every game you play? That's pretty nice of you

The only way to win is to not play

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kraus posted:

Does anyone know of a way for Manaless Dredge to deal with a turn zero Leyline of the Void? Or do I just scoop?

you scoop

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

Have a sideboard that either uses Forests, Reverent Silence and Nature's Claim, or a sideboard that uses Dark Depths, Thespian's Stage, and other mana sources.

You run 4 dryad arbors instead of forests to keep up the creature density, but you also have to run griselbrand and take out your balustrade spies.

the main downside is now you can't go off at 7 life or less

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Hey twin isn't banned yet!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

Well this is fine way to get the modern goonvitational going if ever there was one.

Yeah but people would have to want to play modern instead of just talk about it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Shackles is AWESOME against affinity. It can force them to sac ravager and taking their Ink/Blinkmoth or Signal Pest before combat completely screws up their combat math NTM how great it is vs Spellskite.

I feel like you should actually know how affinity and shackles work before you comment on how effective that card is in that matchup but that really would be above and beyond the standard for your posts.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

I played affinity for 6 months. I've been beaten by plenty of sideboard cards, shackles was never one of them that I recall.

On the other hand recall can be a pretty nasty one to deal with! I don't think I hold any grudges against it, but I'd rather maintain a form of silence on the matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

gang sines posted:

zoness i wish you'd remain silent on all matters

Is any card with silent in the name playable in modern all not-mcmagics discuss please.

• Locked thread