Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Hey guys, I'm starting to dip into Modern because of Khans fetches. Since I had most of the pieces for Jeskai Ascendency, I built that and played it for our FNM Modern. Since I don't want to ruin the store with my solitaire game, I wanted to look into another deck.

Looking around, I found the Goryo's Vengeance reanimator deck. Reading the primer, it sounds like a lot of fun but wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on it before I go and get Emrakul's and 2 more Grizzelbeezs. :ohdear:

The only real information I find on it is from MTG Salvation and a Starcity article from 2 years ago.

Anyone have any experience with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

neetengie posted:

I think this is a better primer.

This is a much better primer, yes. Thank you! :buddy:

Chamale posted:

If you don't want to ruin the game with your solitaire deck, don't play a solitaire deck like Goryo's Vengeance. It has a lot of matchups where it either doesn't combo off or it makes the opponent sacrifice all their lands on turn 3.

Snacksmaniac posted:

At least its a FASTER Solitare deck instead of having to cast a ton of spells and loot/wish for a win :shrug:

Wadjamaloo posted:

How is goryos vengeance not a solitaire deck?

Snacksmaniac sort of hit it on the head, but looking at it again, that would be a solitaire deck as well if I do Emrakul. Annihilator 6 is one of those things I don't mind doing in a tournament but not FNM.

Thanks for the replies all, I'll keep looking around for a Fun Night Magic deck for modern then.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

jassi007 posted:

It is not a consistent deck. Sometimes you faithless looting, pitch grizzlebee then t2 goryo's. sometimes they screw your GY, or counter your reanimator spell, or you just have a handful of junk and never dig into what you need and die helplessly.

The "real" decks in modern are

Affinity
Scapeshift
Twin
Pod
GBx

Right now modern is bending under the influence of treasure cruise, so Delver and Burn are smashing. Burn is relatively cheap to get into, 4x goblin guide is like 100-150? 4 eidolon of great revel at 30ish, then the rest of the deck is not to expensive. Add fetches as you aquire them from Khans to run treasure cruise. However a lot of people don't like burn, playing it or on the receiving end.

From there you have all sorts of decks which are meta dependant. For example boggles right now is REALLY good because it just smashes burn and delver. t1 play a creature neither deck and target, t2-win play enchantments that make it bigger and eventually give it lifegain.

There are many cool decks in modern, some more budget than others, and some are very meta dependant. If you want one consistently good deck that is unlikely to stop being good anytime soon, the 5 I posted are it.

I have and have played Affinity, Blue Tron, GR Tron, Burn, UR Delver, UG Infect. I have a playgroup that has several decks also, Boggles, Death & Taxes, GW Hatebears, Soul Sisters, Merfolk, UR Storm, Nyxwave Devotion, in addition to the plethora of decks at our local store, many infect decks, UWR control, GR Tron, Ad Nauseum, UB Fae, Jund, Melira Pod.

If you have khans fetches you could play Delver and jump on the hype train. It is fairly cheap aside from lands. Get 3 steam vents, 4 red fetches 4-5 blue fetches (you could run 4 wooded foothills/bloodstained mire 4 flooded strand 1 polluted delta)

A really informative post and I appreciate it. Thank you.

I've mostly only played against Pod, Twin, UB Faeries, Burn and 8 Rack. My girlfriend runs Boggles, and before I made the Ascendency deck, I as playing around with Simic Infect. I think I might just hop on the Delver train for the time being, and see how it goes.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Third Eye Comics doesn't host MTG stuff, they only sell the product. At least the one in Annapolis.

There are two shops right near each other in Glen Burnie that run weekly Modern nights, as well as two FNMs. One for Standard and one for Modern. Squabbles and Games and Stuff are the names.

Both are pretty established but Squabbles has an unfriendly player base the two times I went.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Boco_T posted:

Reid "The Bones" Duke got 4-0 with a pretty sweet BG Control deck in the Modern daily yesterday:
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/264986
Hope he was making a video of it for CFB, seems sweet.

Heeeee, anything come of this? Its playing my favorite card, Death Cloud. :allears:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Boco_T posted:

I asked Reid on Twitter and he said he didn't record that 4-0 but plans to record the deck tonight to go up on CFB in the future.

Sweet. I've been debating the last few days between a deck similar to that or going U/B Faeries. I'm missing a few parts from both.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

Is there a good U/B faeries list around?

The one event I had a chance to play faeries with bitterblossom I didn't have all the cards, and when bitterblossom was on the initial banlist for Modern it made me sad :(

I'm not really sure? The last list played at a live event was in August of last year. http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=8087&d=246592&f=MO

And looking at other lists, they're all pretty varied in being either more control or an aggro-ish style.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

My LGS had its first non-FNM Modern night last night. We had 8 people show up. :buddy:

Initially it was only 10 proxies allowed, then changed to full proxy. I had my half-made faeries deck with me.

http://deckstats.net/decks/7504/211161-faerie-modern

I'll say upfront I enjoy the deck and its fun. But often I feel I can't close out a game if I didn't put out a t2 Bitter Blossom, which there just might not be anything to be done about. If anyone else has had experience playing the deck, any suggestions? I'm thinking of taking out some Remands for Mana leaks, and maybe more victim of night in my sideboard.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

Is this a real deck?
Is this just fantasy
That dude's riding a landslide
and he's casting a spreading seas

Will this deck 4-0
Or will it go 1 and 3
Boom // Come
Bust // Go
Lighting Bolt
and Resto
Ajani's ult must really blow
doesn't really matter to meeeee

To me

Shamelessly stolen and reposted. Bravo.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Booyah- posted:

Where is the original?

Eh? No, I stole it from him and reposted it for my magic friends. He came up with that from Boheman Raphsody and it's great.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Monogreen devotion might be a powerful deck now; its the only other deck I can think of that wants to do something fast and powerful without interaction.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

monoB infect was my first modern deck and I loved it to itty bitty bits. I'm sad its not even T2 but drat it was it a pleasure to blank everyone's removal with Phyrexian Knight. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Star Man posted:

If there's anything I've learned about the people that populate those threads, they should consider taking up hobbies that don't fill them with unreadable vitriol. Like gardening.

"That son of a bitch Susan next door has better daffodils than me. ARRGGHGHHH!"

• Locked thread