Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
Wow! What a round! Of hockey! Here's what happened!

And gifs!

Rangers - Pittsburgh:

Montreal - Boston:

Los Angeles - Anaheim:

Chicago - Minnesota:

(I suppose the latter two don't really summarize their respective series because LA and Chicago won but gently caress it)

Who is good at hockey? These guys!

Expect that to change since everyone knows Crawford isn't actually good

When are teams playing this round?? Soon! How soon? Well here's the schedule!

Here's this thing that I copied from the last OP because people like these! I think they're alright sometimes!

HNIC INTROS COURTESY OF FITS:
pre:
2012 HNIC INTROS 
ROUND 1
Nashville/Detroit         Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5
Boston/Washington         Game 2 -- Game 4 -- Game 5 -- Game 6 -- Game 7
New York/Ottawa           Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5 -- Game 6 -- Game 7
Vancouver/Los Angeles     Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5

ROUND 2
New York/Washington       Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5 -- Game 6 -- Game 7
Philadelphia/New Jersey   Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5

ROUND 3
New York/New Jersey       Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5
Phoenix/Los Angeles       Game 4 -- Game 5

STANLEY CUP FINAL
New Jersey/Los Angeles    Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5 -- Game 6

2013 HNIC INTROS 
ROUND 1
Chicago/Minnesota         Game 1 -- Game 3 
Boston/Toronto            Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5 -- Game 6 -- Game 7
Montreal/Ottawa           Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5
St Louis/Los Angeles      Game 4 -- Game 6

ROUND 2
Pittsburgh/Ottawa         Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5
Chicago/Detroit           Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5 -- Game 6 -- Game 7

ROUND 3
Pittsburgh/Boston         Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4
Chicago/Los Angeles       Game 4 -- Game 5

STANLEY CUP FINAL
Chicago/Boston            Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5 -- Game 6

THIS YEAR
ROUND 1
St Louis/Chicago          Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 5 -- Game 6
Tampa Bay/Montreal        Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4
Pittsburgh/Columbus       Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5 -- Game 6
San Jose/Los Angeles      Game 3 -- Game 5 -- Game 6 -- Game 7

ROUND 2
Boston/Montreal           Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5 
Pittsburgh/New York       Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5 
Want to know poo poo about this dumb game that you should be watching now because it's better than the other sports you watch? Confused about who to root for (the answer is the Rangers)? Ask questions here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3433470
Has your bad team already been eliminated? Haha that sucks! You can talk about them here though: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3624060

HOCKEY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
This final four is pretty much my worst nightmare, I don't really care about any of those teams.

But Habs have Cathorse, so, go Habs I guess? :stonk:

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Kerrow posted:

But Habs have Cathorse, so, go Habs I guess? :stonk:

A correct opinion.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
that opinion would be correct if the habs were not playing the rangers, who are much cooler

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
Completely aboard the Habs train

Also go Hawks but only for this round

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I'm really happy today because I finally get to see the Rangers play, so hurray for after-noon games. And this year their advancement to the conf final feels more deserved and sustainable than it did two years ago and I think they got a real chance to beat Montreal.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I'd like the Habs to win the Cup, but I'd also like them to make the final just to see what Montreal and the Bell Centre become in the midst of their own SCF.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
In this post-season, the LA kings are 2-0 in series against teams ending in "ks". So you're hosed too, Chicago.

Go habs

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Go Habs, go Hawks. Make the final I wanted 4 years ago happen. :toot:

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Obviously the Hawks all the way! I want Crawford to become the new Osgood. Win Cups but never get the credit and always be considered an average goalie behind a great team.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

loving go Habs. Whatever happens, the west must not win.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I certainly did not expect the Rangers to get this far. loving hell, now I'm feeling hopeful.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

:siren: Pick 'em season is again open. :siren:

Link to thread goes here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3625761&pagenumber=9#lastpost

Link to spreadsheets here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B1GSfpyDmA3l_-8chpnB8aujZzHZOQCPV2kNAafJhXc/edit#gid=166622749

Come on down for round 3 and prove your worth. I did good in round 2 so obviously I am excited.

I will keep it open till the end of Chi-LA game 1, and will give a few more posts about it here before then.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Tailored Sauce posted:

I certainly did not expect the Rangers to get this far. loving hell, now I'm feeling hopeful.

same

C'mon Hank, avenge that Olympic loss

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I'm honestly shocked that the Kings have managed to work their way out elimination so far. I fully expect them to fall flat against Chicago again. Two tough series, plus they've never performed well in Chicago.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Both Price and Lundqvist have been on loving fire lately, and that has me worried. I mean, if MAF can shut the Rangers out twice, what is Price gonna do?

E: Can't watch game 1 as I'll be working. :suicide:

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
The Habs had bonkers Canadian tv ratings for game 7 in both languages.

quote:

On Wednesday night, CBC reported a record audience of 4.56 million for Game 7 of the Canadiens-Bruins series. The public broadcaster reported a peak audience of 7.23 million and said more than 11 million Canadians saw at least part of the game. Another 2.496 million watched the game on RDS with a peak of 3.477 million. The French-language broadcaster said those numbers represent 58 per cent of the market.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
From the most recent census numbers (2011) if 11 million Canadians saw at least part of the game, thats one of every three people

Just imagine if they get to the finals!

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Tailored Sauce posted:

Same, Hank is playing great, the D is looking good (McDonagh looks more like himself if not quite as dominant as the last few weeks of the regular season) and they have 4 good lines especially now with Kreider back. I am definitely talking myself into the Rangers having a shot this year. The team rallying around MSL could be the x factor!

But, there is still the fear that neither the Flyers or Pens were actually that good, and now the Rangers will get exposed.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 17, 2014

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

The analytics crew (Dellow, Mirtle) were all pretty big and bullish on the Rangers before the playoffs started (and have always been bearish on the Habs), and I think their work bears that out. I also trust Vigneault to win the coaching battle in a way that Julien isn't always willing to do when Montreal works whatever brain stuff they do to the emotional part of the Bruins contingent. I feel like we're going from Klingons to Vulcans, at least in terms of reputation.

Montreal isn't hopeless, but I can't shake the feeling people are going to be pleasantly surprised with the Rangers versus the sorta coinflip talk that's going around now.

edit: This shouldn't be a surprise, but:

quote:

J-F Chaumont @JFChaumontJDM 3m
#Habs: Marc Bergevin dit qu'il déjà pris sa décision pour Michel Therrien. Traduction libre: Therrien signera une prolongation de contrat.
-> ObTeteCarre: Therrien extension imminent.

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 17, 2014

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
No ..... nooooooo! (this isn't surprising but i'm still not crazy about it)

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Nervous as all hell but also ecstatic. :ohdear:

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
If there's one place that the narrative would dictate the Rangers MUST go through to in order to win a Stanley Cup, it would definitely be the house of horrors that has been the Bell Centre.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I'm really curious to see how the Rangers will ride this emotion-streak they're on right now. It certainly won't last forever, but I'm hoping they will evolve into a better team than we saw in the Philly and Pens series. Better transitions, more forechecking, and cleaner passes I think could all be important factors in beating the Habs, and hopefully the Rangers will stay consistent with those throughout all the games.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Go Habs, go Kings.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Tailored Sauce posted:

I'm really curious to see how the Rangers will ride this emotion-streak they're on right now. It certainly won't last forever, but I'm hoping they will evolve into a better team than we saw in the Philly and Pens series. Better transitions, more forechecking, and cleaner passes I think could all be important factors in beating the Habs, and hopefully the Rangers will stay consistent with those throughout all the games.

i can't verify this because i don't know where to look this poo poo up but i would imagine that the rangers' team PDO, and especially the individual PDO of guys like nash and stepan and st. louis, has to be incredibly low right now. regression to the mean will mean they actually start scoring some goals occasionally. i am hoping this happens

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
Whatever team wins in the east, I'll be happy/unhappy.

I'd normally would want Habs to win, but I really want a Stanley cup parade in Oslo, Norway...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't really know how to predict this Habs / Rags series. I want to be optimistic but years of this has beaten me into submission.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Bad news HAS. I'm optimistic for the series. Last time I was optimistic, we got curbstomped by Ottawa. :ohdear:

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I want to be optimistic but years of this has beaten me into submission.

This is exactly my problem - I go into every series picking out why doom will arise, despite wanting them to win with all my heart.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Piquai Souban posted:

This is exactly my problem - I go into every series picking out why doom will arise, despite wanting them to win with all my heart.

Martytoof posted:

I don't really know how to predict this Habs / Rags series. I want to be optimistic but years of this has beaten me into submission.

We're all so damaged. :(

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
So there must be some posters here who get really invested in their team. Some of these posters might have seen their team lose in the SCF in recent memory. Does the disappointment of making it that far to fall short overwhelm the positives of being in the final two that season?

Basically I'm looking for a silver lining for if/when the Habs do not advance. I don't know how I'd deal with Montreal being a mere 1 to 4 victories away from a Stanley Cup but not pull it off.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Martytoof posted:

If it makes you feel any better, as a Rangers fan, I have the same feeling too.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

go anyone not from the west, and the rangers did the pens in so go Habs? :toot:

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Sorry Habs, looks like I'm cheering for the Rangers.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
At least two more games of Ginette Reno :D

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

Halisnacks posted:

So there must be some posters here who get really invested in their team. Some of these posters might have seen their team lose in the SCF in recent memory. Does the disappointment of making it that far to fall short overwhelm the positives of being in the final two that season?

Basically I'm looking for a silver lining for if/when the Habs do not advance. I don't know how I'd deal with Montreal being a mere 1 to 4 victories away from a Stanley Cup but not pull it off.

In the immediate postmortem, it's horrible (speaking from memories of 2010 here). Really, really horrible. But after the dust settles and you can honestly evaluate the team, things develop one of two ways - in 2010, we had to be honest and say it was a Cinderella run, that changes needed to come to the team and that the next season would be a mystery. Barring something drastic, this year I think I'll eventually come to terms with the fact that the Habs showed some great stuff this postseason and have a bright future overall.

EDIT: HAS PESSIMISM INDUCER ACTIVATED - PRICE WILL GET A CAREER ENDING INJURY WHILE SUBBAN IS KILLED BY A FALLING RAFTER AND THERRIEN GETS A LIFETIME EXTENSION

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think I'm kind of worried because in my mind I don't think the Rangers are as good as the Bruins -- nothing against the team, I like the Rags, I just don't think they're as good -- so I'm worried that the Habs will drop a step.

I know they're professionals and this shouldn't get to them mentally, but you never know.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Un thread pour gameday

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635080

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Pancakes by Mail posted:

In the immediate postmortem, it's horrible (speaking from memories of 2010 here). Really, really horrible. But after the dust settles and you can honestly evaluate the team, things develop one of two ways - in 2010, we had to be honest and say it was a Cinderella run, that changes needed to come to the team and that the next season would be a mystery. Barring something drastic, this year I think I'll eventually come to terms with the fact that the Habs showed some great stuff this postseason and have a bright future overall.

EDIT: HAS PESSIMISM INDUCER ACTIVATED - PRICE WILL GET A CAREER ENDING INJURY WHILE SUBBAN IS KILLED BY A FALLING RAFTER AND THERRIEN GETS A LIFETIME EXTENSION

Don't forgot Dog Murray getting promoted to the first line.

• Locked thread