Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

Oh awesome! I needed blaming the start time for Bingo.

The Habs still have a significant advantage in calls against compared to every other team even after today.

Yeah, it's a wonder how you can have more overall penalties in your favor after playing Boston, the cleanest team in Hockey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Duro posted:

That being said, if Price is injured because of that cheap shot by the Rangers, I'll be asking for loving blood

I can understand your anger but that wasn't a cheap shot. Avoidable? Possibly. But it wasn't cheap.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Duro posted:

This whole game was a shitshow of epic proportions

First of all, forcing the Habs to play an afternoon game was absolute bullshit. Dunno if it was the NHL itself, NBC or a combination of both that forced this, but the Rangers play afternoon games all season and the Habs rarely do, plus the Habs played one day later than the Rangers going into this series. What was so important that they couldn't play at 7 or 8 like usual?

Pretty much.

It's NBC, it's due to horse-racing and cross-promotion.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Duro posted:

This whole game was a shitshow of epic proportions

First of all, forcing the Habs to play an afternoon game was absolute bullshit. Dunno if it was the NHL itself, NBC or a combination of both that forced this, but the Rangers play afternoon games all season and the Habs rarely do, plus the Habs played one day later than the Rangers going into this series. What was so important that they couldn't play at 7 or 8 like usual?

Second of all, the refs were calling absolutely everything against the Habs. It was loving ridiculous. I hope anyone that looks at today's box score never EVER mentions the Habs getting priority treatment in Montreal.

I'm not saying the Habs played well cause they didn't. But it seems like everything was put together to give them the hardest possible time winning game 1.

Credit to the Rangers that came to play, I couldn't watch the entire game but they looked solid. I don't want to take anything away from their victory despite anything I may have written above. I'm more mad at the NHL than I am at the Rangers.

That being said, if Price is injured because of that cheap shot by the Rangers, I'll be asking for loving blood

Right because Montreal didn't score a goal based on a sixth forward keeping the puck in the play

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Duro posted:

Yeah, it's a wonder how you can have more penalties in your favor after playing Boston, the cleanest team in Hockey

The statistic is calls against.

Spoiler: No team in hockey plays significantly cleaner or dirtier than any other team.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Aphrodite posted:

The Habs still have a significant advantage in calls against compared to every other team even after today.

If you discount games played, sure. By PIM/g, they're still leading, but not significantly at all.

fake edit: No, actually, after today, New York sports the least PIM/g (9.6 to 8.2).

I'm not all that mad about today's game, bad games happen and Montreal can never seem to get anything going in afternoon games. I am not all that pleased with Prust, though. I'd like to see him sit if he's just going to try to start fights all game.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Aphrodite posted:

Spoiler: No team in hockey plays significantly dirtier than any other team.

...except for Boston, the Flyers of the 1970's, and other noted dirty teams.

That's the equivalent of saying that no team in hockey has a style any more exciting than any other team, in the heyday of the neutral zone trap.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

fancy stats posted:

If you discount games played, sure. By PIM/g, they're still leading, but not significantly at all.

fake edit: No, actually, after today, New York sports the least PIM/g (9.6 to 8.2).

I'm not all that mad about today's game, bad games happen and Montreal can never seem to get anything going in afternoon games. I am not all that pleased with Prust, though. I'd like to see him sit if he's just going to try to start fights all game.

I would like to see Ryan White uncaged, as he can certainly skate faster than Prust.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
put white in for prust and tinordi in for emelin

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Zamboni Jesus posted:

put white in for prust and tinordi in for emelin

A Gally for Prust please

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Duro posted:

could you please define "cheap shot" as you understand it

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
And here I thought this series would be tame. Bravo, SAS!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I kind of switched off the game after it was 4-1 but if this "cheap shot" you're talking about is the slide into price then I think you're just talking with adrenaline. It was unfortunate and maybe avoidable but not really cheap IMHO.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Naet posted:

And here I thought this series would be tame. Bravo, SAS!

doesn't count, it's just duro

lovely scheduling didn't stop NYR from beating the penguins, don't see how MTL (or its fans, really) can complain about that. i mean

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Why are you guys arguing with Duro? Don't do this.

Man I hope Therrien has some brilliant adjustments for NYR or it's gonna be a long 3 years with him coaching the Habs. They did a surprisingly good job against the Bruins so maybe there's some hope.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Pick 'em standings after round two

Lazerwolf still in the lead, while T-bone keeps pace and Pancakes comes roaring into the money rankings!

See the thread for more info.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3625761&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=9

Duro's angry liver posted:

lazerwolf 48
T-Bone 44
Pancakes by Mail 37
Zat 36
Dak02 35
Duro 35
HOW COULD YOU 35
whatis 35
astr0man 34
menthol moose 34
-10-
mono 34
OldSenileGuy 33
darkwolf220 32
Zamboni Jesus 32
Thufir 31
CBJSprague24 30
EvilJimmyCarter 30
Flyinglemur 30
Stanos 30
Stickarts 30
-20-
Veskit 30
Xtanstic 30
Twin Cinema 29
DickBoat 28
fancy stats 28
Jaw Knee 28
Rutkowski 28
SporkofTruth 28
ThinkTank 28
Zodijackylite 28
-30-
Blackbelt Bobman 26
ffoecaf 26
Hand Knit 26
Hockles 26
Infidel Castro 26
Karnegal 26
Mind_Taker 26
Pleads 26
fits 25
CDX 24
-40-
Drunk Canuck 24
HookShot 24
HootTheOwl 24
JayMax 24
kalensc 24
Knowlue 24
MononcQc 24
revtoiletduck 24
Sadmantongue 24
Topoisomerase 24
-50-
wonderllama 24
.Spec 22
a false 22
Bilirubin 22
Jordan7hm 22
Kilza 22
mennoknight 22
Pierre McGuire 22
deafmute 20
Diet Crack 20
-60-
INSPECTAH DECK 20
MrCodeDude 20
Rene Rancourt 20
Technetium 20
Guignol 18
NJD2005 18
Shoeonhead22 18
ShyftedOne 18
The Angry Bum 18
THE MACHO MAN 18
-70-
EVGA Longoria 17
BOXC 16
Chad Sexington 16
Grimby 16
ist 16
AAB 14
Furnaceface 14
Jedimastafez 14
Shinjobi 14
totes 14
-80-
aejix 12
Kreez 12
mutations 12
Rotten Cookies 12
VJeff 12
Filthee Fingas 10
goldrush 10
marsisol 10
mcvey 10
Naet 10
-90-
Shadow Ninja 64 10
SURPRISE WITNESS 10
yellowcar 10
Austrian mook 8
Buane 8
Daeno 8
deadEd 8
double sulk 8
Laderhan 8
marioinblack 8
-100-
flakeloaf 6
Habibi 6
Largo LaForge 6
Levitate 6
RC Cola 6
Verviticus 6
Wrax 6
johnfw50 4
Porrima 4
Serisothikos 4
-110-
stab 4
Zyla 4
Sharks Eat Bear 2

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 17, 2014

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Is duro like mcmagic in tff

Grimby
Sep 12, 2002

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Man Habs how do you get this hosed?

They didn't show the New York Rangers the proper amount of respect.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Stickarts posted:

Lazerwolf still in the lead, while T-bone keeps pace and Pancakes comes roaring into the money rankings!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3625761&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=9

gently caress

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Yes that doesn't... look so good for you.

For the record, of all those who took part in both rounds, Shyfted One is last with 18.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I'm glad I missed the game.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Looks like my rear end in a top hat Rangers in 5 pick may pay off in this imaginary flexing contest :getin:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Saying the afternoon game favored the Rangers is... Weird

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Hand Knit posted:

Outside of the net, this Kings team seems to better than the Cup-winning team (which, with the addition of Gaborik, probably shouldn't be a surprise). Quick going from superhuman in 2012 to below average this year is the biggest difference, and if he can be even average going forwards then LA can probably deal with Chicago quite easily.
So you're saying the Kings are definitely winning the Cup and if they don't I can have mod powers for a week as consolation?

Serious: are the 2014 Sharks/Ducks just that much better than the 2012 Canucks/Blues? Or is the Kings post-season record through two rounds all on Quick being worse?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I'll be happy with whatever outcome, so long as it doesn't involve the Kings.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Aphrodite posted:

The statistic is calls against.

Spoiler: No team in hockey plays significantly cleaner or dirtier than any other team.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Chicago and St Louis are angels
E: I mean the Sharks. Makes sense. My favorite two teams are the cleanest good ol hockey teams

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 18, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's San Jose at the bottom, not St. Louis. :v:

Also, EVERYONE HATES PHILLY.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
I think both kings and the rangers are ridiculously good when they are good, but both teams are prone to being really bad, to the point where teams like Montreal (who aren't as good on their peaks, but maybe equally bad on their worst), or Chicago (who are just very good all the time) can beat them.

Ridiculously>very

In an eventual SCF, I think Montreal could best kings, but not Blackhawks, but I think Kings will beat the Blackhawks if they continue to be good... And that's not really guaranteed

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The Kings would demolish the Canadiens.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Not that I don't think LA is the better team, but you have to give Montreal a puncher's chance in any series, I would say. They just rope a doped Boston, not sure what else they can do. Besides poo poo the bed hilariously.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Boston hit like 11 posts throughout the series and a ton of open nets (including 2 or 3 that went between price and the net).

They didn't play well, Boston just played poorly.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Mr. Kite posted:

The Kings would demolish the Canadiens.

Not if they decided to play like they did in three games against Sharks for four games

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!
Anyone know why the top of nhl.com is in Finnish?

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Stickarts posted:

i would just like to point out that despite making no picks in the 2nd round, i'm still in eighth place

thanks everyone

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

gco posted:

Anyone know why the top of nhl.com is in Finnish?

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

They didn't play well, Boston just played poorly.

This is a bullshit narrative based on lazy analysis that gets a lot of traction in the media. While it is true of several games in the series, for the series as a whole it's completely untrue.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!

Touche.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Zamboni Jesus posted:

what are quick's numbers with the first two games against san jose removed?

Sv% .932 (329/353)
GAA 2.00 (24/12)

So yeah, if you take away games 1 and 2 he's close to last year's playoff numbers, and a little better than his regular season numbers for this year (of course, sample size should not be overlooked). Funny enough, his statistically worst game wasn't either of those two. It was Game 4 vs. Anaheim, where he made 9 saves on 11 shots, an .818 Sv%. Of course, that was only one period, so there's that.

And of course, anybody's numbers are going to look better when you take out their worst performances; maybe we should wait until the playoffs are over to extend those sample sizes, then decide whether or not Quick was good or bad :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Quick's are in a row, at least.

• Locked thread