Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Obviously the Hawks all the way! I want Crawford to become the new Osgood. Win Cups but never get the credit and always be considered an average goalie behind a great team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

I'd like to say that Hossa has quietly been having a great playoff. 13 games and 13 points. Just 2 goals, but his 200-foot game is incredible.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Levitate posted:

Hossa is a drat good player, I'm always a little surprised he is still so effective at age 35 now. Aging well and in a role that doesnt' require him to be the go to guy for the team

I am sure he will eventually lose his step, but he knows the game so well he can compensate that by being in the right place at the right time and ought be a contributor into his twilight years. If he can stay healthy, I see no reason he can't be like Selänne or Jagr when he gets to their age.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Shame about Price. Always hope that both teams can play with their fullest line-ups in these games. Still don't think it was on purpose. Just lovely luck. No reason for the Habs to just lay down and let the Rags walk over them.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

xzzy posted:

Hey, it's worked okay for Chicago.

It does? It always seem like it's the opponent getting the odd man rushes.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Finally some hockey tonight. Who's bright idea was it too have these hockey-less days when the playoffs are getting intense?

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Levitate posted:

Since Chicago/LA also got several days off in a row I think this has something stupid to do with league scheduling for some reason. I dunno, maybe they're trying to give teams rest. Two tired teams playing each other is usually lovely hockey

That's true. Hope the rest helps and we'll see a great series.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

I am sure some team is desperate for punch man Bollig and will move a pick to get him.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Gio posted:

corey crawford happens to be a not-great-goaltender, too

Crawford has been the Hawks MVP last year and this year in the playoffs. One bad game does not change that. What does he need to do to not be a "not-great goalie" for the astute hockey minds of SAS? Win a Stanley Cup?

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Mind_Taker posted:

Yeah but when they play another great team in the playoffs like the Kings it would help to have a goalie who's good.

Crawford did fine last year against the Kings. One bad game doesn't take from the larger body of work. Quick has had some stinkers too and people usually anoint him as an elite goalie. Not saying Crawford is elite, but he's not just some average goalie behind a great team, he has had some excellent moments in this playoffs already where he bailed out a sloppy team.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

The Dirty Burger posted:

lol

and the year after the Toews/Kane extensions and Saad re-signing they have to re-sign Brent Seabrook. Should be an interesting couple of years

The exodus will not be like 2010 and considering it took just 2 years to get back in it, I can manage a year or two before they get some more Cups.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Aurora posted:

As much as I love Hossa I don't know how well he'll age over the next few years, and he has to lose some of his speed at some point.

I see Hossa as a player that won't be affected that much by the loss of speed. He's a smart player and will compensate and be a valuable asset in other ways.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

xzzy posted:

I'm not really sure what's going on with their AHL team, as they seem to keep offloading everyone that's decent and filling up the Icehogs with more scrubs that will never see NHL action.

Morin is the only guy left who I'd consider a real prospect, and Q loving hates that guy.

Teräväinen will join the Hawks/Rockford next year, potential to be that elusive #2 center. Then they have McNeil, most likely a bottom 6 center/winger, same with Danault. Both in their first (or second) pro season. Ryan Hartman, a poo poo stirrer had a decent year in the OHL. The back-end looks promising with Clendening, an offensive D-man, Johns the big D. The prospect cupboard is among the best in the league, considering where they've drafted the last couple of years. Those offloaded would have never seen NHL playing time on the Hawks and are being replaced by younger prospects.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Q is hamstringing this team with his moronic line-up decisions. Zeus shouldn't be anywhere close to the top 6 or the bottom 6 for that matter. The PK is no good anymore and the only reason he was in the line-up was because of that.

Hawks haven't been playing to their strengths at all during these playoffs, they've been out-shot, out-possessed and have taken way too many penalties, all the opposite of what made them successful in the first place.

Credit to the Kings as they looks like a far more determined and stronger team. They have a couple of lines going and that is posing trouble for the Hawks. Even Quick hasn't needed to be anything special too get the wins.

Still just 2-1, but feels like it's a giant chasm with the way both teams have played the last games. Still is the moral Stanley Cup final of this year.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Aurora posted:

Since the GDT got closed super fast

Hossa-Toews-Bickell
Sharp-Teuvo-Kane
Saad-Regin-Shaw
Morin-Kruger-Smith

These would probably be the best lines with what we have, barring Sharp being far too injured like he seems to be

I don't think Teuvo is even with the team at this time and he would be woefully overmatched if he would be playing.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Mr. Kite posted:

Unfortunitely they only have one line and the powerplay going. Though I will admit it could be the Blackhawks just stopping the Kopitar line; but it could also be blackhole of offense commonly known as Dustin Brown. I wish Sutter would put Williams with Kopi and Gaborik.

Toews have kept the Kopitar line in check pretty well, but no other Hawk line is capable of keeping the Carter line in check. I am sure if Toews moves against the Carter line the Kopitar line will start going again. Kings have two lines capable of causing trouble and that's the difference. Hawks have non, unless you count the Toews line.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

I scratched my head when Bowman re-signed Zeus. He caught lightning in a bottle last year for sure. It was foolish to think that it could happen again. Now if Bowman keeps Zeus around for next year, then I might explode. For all the talk that the Hawks are heavy users of fancy stats, some decisions sure are headscratchers.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

First OT had almost 8 minutes of play between whistles. The class of the league is currently playing the WCF. Shame about the east coast bias, because you are missing high quality hockey. The between the whistle crap is to a minimum, no dirty antics. Just two very good teams in an honest battle to see who's better.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

JayMax posted:

I'd still prefer the Rangers to win the cup so the people who've been blabbering about Western superiority can shut up.

Still wouldn't change the fact that the WC has the stronger teams.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Blackhawks scored 2 goals on 3 shots in the 3rd.

mumble mumble jonathan quick mumble

Don't worry Quick is immune to criticism. He is still elite. Crawford on the other hand, what a bum.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

a false posted:

yeah it's pretty good hockey..... for a filthy casual

no but seriously the games have been fun to watch especially if you don't have a vested rooting interest but (maybe as a product of watching more of the east for most of my life) i personally enjoy more deliberate, calculated hockey that occasionally erupts into drama instead of END TO END RUSH FOLLOWED BY END TO END RUSH FOLLOWED BY END TO END RUSH because i think the latter feels almost like a basketball game and basketball bores me to death

Except, the West also offers tight checking and defensively sound hockey on top of exciting end to end plays and spectacular saves. It offers everything a hockey game can offer at a high pace and skill level. You east coast rubes can enjoy your rec league.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Mr. Kite posted:

The Kings just put up 4 goals/game on the Blackhawks. Lunqvist is great, but he's Eastern Conference great.

The amount of goals scored in the Kings series had a lot to do with the free wheelin' offense both teams played. Thought the defense was really loose or then both teams possessed so much firepower it could only be a shootout. Wouldn't be surprised if the SCF is going to be much tighter defensively and the Kings can do that too very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

If the Rags win, Lundqvist is sure to be the CS winner. And that would mean all the Lundqvist nuthuggers would be insufferable. And he doesn't need any more things going for him, that handsome lucky bastard!

• Locked thread